Most Recent Platinum

Muff

On 18/08/2019 at 8:08 PM, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

:platinum: # 27 - Assault Suit Leynos

1L94e452.png

Difficulty - 7/10

Enjoyment - 4/10

I like to think that when I'm giving consideration to a game's difficulty and enjoyment ratings, that it's a balance between the game itself and the platinum effort since for me they're one and the same. Well let me distinguish between both parts for ASL: without the inclusion of the platinum effort, the game's difficulty would be maybe a 4/10, and my enjoyment would be maybe a 6/10. This is one of those games that, if you don't care about getting the platinum then I'd recommend not bothering. This list is comprised mostly of stupid, obnoxious trophies. I was going to make a guide for the game but it's just too much of a pain despite my real-time 100% being around 9 hours of in-game time. By far the worst trophy of all is :gold:Old Tricks - 3 full hours of my 9 hour platinum run was dedicated to this single trophy. You can go and watch a video of it being done in only a few minutes, and in a successful attempt that is how long it takes, but how simply it's done in a video belies how random and RNG-related the doing of this really is. You effectively have to kill only the boss in Stage 1 on Classic Mode, but different enemies spawn randomly and are seemingly designed to negate this trophy, because if they kill each other (and they do, constantly), you get the points for it and you have to start the stage over again. You have to be absolutely flawless at this one particular thing, and it demands such a buy-in of skill which no other point in the game demands that it makes the entire trophy list completely imbalanced. Without this one trophy the difficulty would be a 5/10, which may not seem like much of a jump but I consider the difference between a 5 & 7 to not be unsubstantial.

The game is good, if you like side-scrolling games like this. The majority of the trophies come from Arcade Mode, which is easier in every way except for some reason the final boss, to whom they've added an extra phase from Classic Mode, which is just how the original game was released complete with a step up in difficulty. But again, a small handful of the 35 trophies in total, including a few which are honestly a little buggy, diminished my enjoyment of this game to below average. As someone who gives ratings without inflation-bias, which is to say that a 5/10 isn't bad and is instead perfectly average for my relative perspective, 4/10 isn't horrible, but it's disappointing that the trophy list works against the game big time here.

Congratulations on the platinum, quick question, did you run into any trouble with the 'Rust Resistant' trophy? I've attempted it a number of times now and I can't seem to get it to unlock, not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong. I'd have thought this would've been one of the easier ones, but it's the one that's given me the most problems so far..

13 minutes ago, GraniteSnake said:

Congratulations on the platinum, quick question, did you run into any trouble with the 'Rust Resistant' trophy? I've attempted it a number of times now and I can't seem to get it to unlock, not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong. I'd have thought this would've been one of the easier ones, but it's the one that's given me the most problems so far..

It took me a few tries I can tell you that much. If you're absolutely sure that you are doing it correctly and you see no splash when you jump the 3 bodies of water, I'm sorry to say but you might just have to do your run over. I had a problem with the Hard Brawler trophy. I did it in mission 5, but it did not want to unlock. I had to start over and I ended up getting it in mission 2.

14 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

It took me a few tries I can tell you that much. If you're absolutely sure that you are doing it correctly and you see no splash when you jump the 3 bodies of water, I'm sorry to say but you might just have to do your run over. I had a problem with the Hard Brawler trophy. I did it in mission 5, but it did not want to unlock. I had to start over and I ended up getting it in mission 2.

That's irritating, I guess I'll just leave it for this play-through and attempt it again on the next, getting tired of repeating the level. Shame about the trophies and the workarounds necessary to get them to unlock, takes away from an otherwise enjoyable game. I'm about to attempt Hard Brawler and Superhuman Pilot on Stage 5, hoping I don't run into anymore issues. ?