Time to call it quits for me guys

zeero7uk

4 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Just trophy hunt like I do. Don't make it a job. Do it to relax. Finish upcompleted games to get trophies and buy games that interest you. Nothing wrong with not being a 100% completionist or someone who chases platinums all the time. Just game for what it was made for, to have fun! :)

Thats kinda what i do, I play a game and enjoy it, then take time off and come back, eventually i get to where i only need 5 trophies and then i get the plat. Some games ill never plat on my list and thats ok cause i dont need 100% completion

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zer007uk said:

It's coming to a point for me where i'm starting to loathe my no1 hobby (gaming) because of trophies.

It is a good realisation to make, now you can play whatever you want whenever you want. Enjoying more different gaming experiences is a great thing. I always feel sad for completionist they miss out on so much while feeding their OCD.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you and I have experienced similar feelings. After really thinking about it, I realized that it's not trophy hunting that's messing me up. It was the fact that I was just super obsessive with accumulating platinums that I contemplated buying easy games. I had an epiphany after playing goat simulator lol and I vowed to never ever EVER buy games just for easy plats. All it took was experiencing one game game that i realized my mistake. This means no Mr. Massagi, nubla, My name is Mayo, etc... 

Right now, I don't think I'll ever hit 100 plats but ill come close simply because there aren't enough games that interest me. It's also funny when people recommend games, saying they're easy plats but then again this a trophy hunting website so the majority will have the same ideals.

I'll simply buy games that I like or interest me and trophy hunting will come naturally and will feel much more satisfying if it's a game I love. Best of luck to you and if you're not enjoying gaming , regardless of the issue,  you're doing something wrong. Just find what's bothering you and solve the root of the problem and you're good to go! 

Happy gaming everyone :) 

• Like 1

wow it took 115 plats. to call it quits. O.O

i told myself once i reached 100 that i think i'd finally relax with trophies, but then... my OCD went up another level cause i wasn't satisfied about not having enough long quality game platinums. so now i'm at 141 and i'm telling myself maybe i'll tone it down a bit at 150, but probably not. lol. you know current obsession is how i want to reach over 75% completion rate, but i find that pretty down right difficult cause i flounder around 71%-%73, if only i could suck it up and push through some crappy sly, beyond two souls, and AC games. lol. i'd have no problem with that in my early trophy hunting days, but it'd be to painful for me these days. especially the suffering earlier this year with goat simulator, the flappy goat mini game, and all that crap.

there was a point that i quit trophy hunting for like over half a year not sure how i did it or why i cant stop now. seems i'm more into the last few years.

Edited by RJP_X

You do you man.  Ultimately, gaming should be about fun. Never forget that. 

Side note, some of you need to seek help for OCD if it's really a problem.  You can throw it in and joke about it with trophy hunting and gaming, but it's a psychological issue that needs treated professionally.

About 5 years ago I realized that I was doing my games wrong. By that time, my main console was a 360 and many games I've only played to achieve 1000GS/100% and it really felt like draining my will to play. As soon I realized that, I stopped putting pressure and goals on what should be my time of leisure. Of course, having OCPD along with OCD, I can't really stop playing games and aiming for 100%/Platinum/General completionism, but ever since I've adopted a new approach: I'll work towards a 100%, but if it's not possible, let it be. If it takes a long time, so be it, no need to rush it. With my new mindset, I've even learned to like online multiplayer trophies, since I don't feel any obligation to obtain them if they're out of my reach. In another words, less pressure = more fun.

3 hours ago, daftprophet said:

Side note, some of you need to seek help for OCD if it's really a problem.  You can throw it in and joke about it with trophy hunting and gaming, but it's a psychological issue that needs treated professionally.

You couldn't be more right on this issue. People seriously undermine OCD or any other psychological disorders effects on their day-by-day. I've been doing CBT (Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy) for 5 months now and it helped me a great time dealing with OCD symptoms.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well you know, ask anybody with a Super Meat Boy platinum and they would likely say I want to challenge myself, earn 100 percent completion, etc. I don't think any casual would bother going for Super Meat Boy as that takes extreme dedication and skill to get 100 percent in trophies. Same with most difficult games listed on this website.

I have OCD, have bipolar disorder, and suffer from autism. At 28 years old. How I treat myself is I don't touch my consoles for a few days, and do outdoor activities like bike riding and jogging. Exercise makes a huge difference. Someone who has obesity and is always depressed from playing video games needs to reevaluate their lifestyle.

I do plan to get 90 - 95 percent on my PSN account, but I understand most people are casual gamers who don't bother with trophies in the first place. That's perfectly fine.

Personally I just find it sad that this generation has so many sensitive people who end up committing suicide over trivial things like needing to complete this or that with their OCD, or because they allow themselves to be bullied by their fellow kids in school or cyber bullied online. They don't bother to seek help or tell their parents or peers what they're going through, and they just become worse. I lost count on how many 13 - 25 year olds killed themselves over such things. I fell in that hole once, realized my mistakes, seeked help and moved on with my life.

Bashing your head over needing to get all trophies in 'said' game that is either difficult or time consuming is not the way to do it. If you don't enjoy trophy hunting then you probably need to look at a different hobby, or play games in a different manner. I still casually play games on my PC computer, and I do my best to get enjoyment out of the games I set on getting trophies in.

• Like 4

You definitely shouldn't feel obliged to go for every trophy in the game, as that would cost way too much pain. I like to complete games too, though I enjoy what I do. If I'm not enjoying, then I ignore the trophies, which I have done a few times before. A few incomplete games never hurt the list.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Well you know, ask anybody with a Super Meat Boy platinum and they would likely say I want to challenge myself, earn 100 percent completion, etc. I don't think any casual would bother going for Super Meat Boy as that takes extreme dedication and skill to get 100 percent in trophies. Same with most difficult games listed on this website.

I can kind of answer that question. I don't have that platinum or any of quite that difficulty (yet), but I do very much like difficult games and have got quite a few in my collection... I think Retro/Grade and Bionic Commando Rearmed being my best so far. Such games can indeed be quite demanding, but it is also nice to be challenged up to my abitilies... and possibly greatest of all, is that speechless amazed feeling when you win an extremely hard game... it's just fantastic. When you 100% an easy game or even something grindy, it's just not the same... but I don't always bother with grindy trophies anyway. I always get very excited and tempted when I see hard games on sale or in PS+. 

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have OCD, have bipolar disorder, and suffer from autism. At 28 years old. How I treat myself is I don't touch my consoles for a few days, and do outdoor activities like bike riding and jogging. Exercise makes a huge difference. Someone who has obesity and is always depressed from playing video games needs to reevaluate their lifestyle.

I do plan to get 90 - 95 percent on my PSN account, but I understand most people are casual gamers who don't bother with trophies in the first place. That's perfectly fine.

Personally I just find it sad that this generation has so many sensitive people who end up committing suicide over trivial things like needing to complete this or that with their OCD, or because they allow themselves to be bullied by their fellow kids in school or cyber bullied online. They don't bother to seek help or tell their parents or peers what they're going through, and they just become worse. I lost count on how many 13 - 25 year olds killed themselves over such things. I fell in that hole once, realized my mistakes, seeked help and moved on with my life.

Bashing your head over needing to get all trophies in 'said' game that is either difficult or time consuming is not the way to do it. If you don't enjoy trophy hunting then you probably need to look at a different hobby, or play games in a different manner. I still casually play games on my PC computer, and I do my best to get enjoyment out of the games I set on getting trophies in.

I'm just curious if you have any examples of this generation and their reason for committing suicide. Because that's a pretty extreme thing to bring up casually if you don't have any basis around it. 

I personally find it sad that this generation can't enjoy things without being called "casual". I personally find it sad that people have to get 90-95% completion in order to be satisfied with their account standing. I find it sad how people will refuse to play certain games because there isn't a platinum trophy, or it has multiplayer trophies, or it has DLC, or there is no way to get a trophy in the game.

Now that's a much more compelling thing to be upset about, then this suicide bullshit you're spewing. By the by, a kid killing themselves due to a cyberbully isn't trivial, and I dare you to walk to a victim's parent, and tell them it's trivial. I'm sure they'd bitch slap you until you got your senses knocked back into you.

Video games are not that serious. And again, if you treat it like they are, you have a serious problem, and should consult someone.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I'm just curious if you have any examples of this generation and their reason for committing suicide. Because that's a pretty extreme thing to bring up casually if you don't have any basis around it. 

I personally find it sad that this generation can't enjoy things without being called "casual". I personally find it sad that people have to get 90-95% completion in order to be satisfied with their account standing. I find it sad how people will refuse to play certain games because there isn't a platinum trophy, or it has multiplayer trophies, or it has DLC, or there is no way to get a trophy in the game.

Now that's a much more compelling thing to be upset about, then this suicide bullshit you're spewing. By the by, a kid killing themselves due to a cyberbully isn't trivial, and I dare you to walk to a victim's parent, and tell them it's trivial. I'm sure they'd bitch slap you until you got your senses knocked back into you.

Video games are not that serious. And again, if you treat it like they are, you have a serious problem, and should consult someone.

I support this. Trophies should not deter anyone from playing a game, they are just there to provide a challenge for players if they wish to take it. I don't strive to have a 90-95% completion rate because I get easily stressed out over the littlest things. As I've been told, video games are meant to be:

Image result for spongebob fun

• Like 2

Casual is subjective. I'm not saying casual is bad but I guess some people think I am saying it is.

As for the "suicide" thing, some kids I've come across in my life don't seek help. They don't, and I know this from experience. There is help out there. This is coming from someone who was bullied online back in the early 2000s. You need to learn to step away from that and move on and seek medical help. 

I was only trying to say hurting yourself over something as trivial as getting all possible trophies is sad. But you decided to just talk shit to me Valyrious. If you want to discuss this with me further, then PM me about it. I'm not talking about this issue any further, and I'm sorry if I derided this topic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

Casual is subjective. I'm not saying casual is bad but I guess some people think I am saying it is.

As for the "suicide" thing, some kids I've come across in my life don't seek help. They don't, and I know this from experience. There is help out there. This is coming from someone who was bullied online back in the early 2000s. You need to learn to step away from that and move on and seek medical help. 

I was only trying to say hurting yourself over something as trivial as getting all possible trophies is sad. But you decided to just talk shit to me Valyrious. If you want to discuss this with me further, then PM me about it. I'm not talking about this issue any further, and I'm sorry if I derided this topic.

Do you think you're more hardcore because you're above 85% completion? Do you look down on other people with say, 50% completion, and think they're more casual than you?

Everything is subjective, but you're the one that somewhat carelessly threw the word out. I don't think a percentage should define a person or their playing style. It does say something about their habits though. Like, you for example, have an above average completion score. Which isn't a bad thing. But it shows that you care about trophies more than most people would, ergo the word "casual" comes into play in regard to people that don't take it as seriously as you do.

I think it's a toxic line of thinking because many people aren't anal about their completion and are okay with trying an impossible to platinum game if it means they may enjoy it or it looks fun. 

I wouldn't consider myself a casual gamer either, even though my percentage is complete and utter dog shit now. And it most likely will never go above 70% because I just can't be bothered constantly going back to games that I didn't like and force myself to finish them, all for some arbitrary number. That is how people get burnt out of gaming. Trophies definitely have that effect on people. 

I will always maintain the opinion that everybody will get exhausted of trophy hunting eventually, so it's important to just enjoy the games you like. So if you do that while getting trophies, who cares if you're a trophy hunter? It's all in good fun. But if you're going to neglect a game you would love to play, but it seems too difficult and it'll lower your completion by 5% just by starting it, then that's where you gotta say it's an addiction.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:06 PM, daftprophet said:

It's also not the best idea to fear monger the condition. If it's just a need to increase trophy count it's no problem. Unless it's interfering with daily life, responsibilities, and relationships, it's not a big deal.

I respect what the OP is saying but......there is always a but.  For me personally my target for trophy hunting when i started was 100 plats (on 99) and also wanted to reach Level 30 on my PSN account (6% short). I actually work 11 hours a day and when I came home the only thing that gets my out of my work stress is playing games and hearing I've achieved something by hearing the sound of a trophy. It's an escape for a few hours from everyday stresses.

I've told myself a few times that it's becoming a chore (17 plats in December) and felt I was getting burnt out on trophies and gaming. Said I would take a break only to find myself back 2 days later planning and looking for youtube videos on my next plat :facepalm: . Realized then why I like trophy hunting so much....it's because it's therapeutic for me to get ne into relaxed mode at night.

So if the OP is feeling like it's a chore (trophy hunting) then it becomes to stressful on him then he's right to quit that part of gaming. I'm here to stay and it's my only escape from reality. Also helps me sleep better after a short trophy hunting session ?

btw I'm 42, have 2 kids and a wife (a cat and two dogs):P and I still find a balance in life. For example. My PS4 I play when I'm in the lounge and my wifes making food in the kitchen. Play On my pS3 in my kids room when they on the ps4 in the lounge and finally.....when me and my wife go to bed at night I'm on my psvita when laying down. So you can balance it out ? Good luck to the future 

Edited by DF007gamer

On 14.4.2017 at 3:07 AM, Zozobobo57 said:

Sounds like people like you are not suited for achievement hunting. It looks like you're in the more casual category of gamer. Please, be my guest; enjoy their company, there are millions of you; you won't be alone.

To be fair, he has much more trophies compared to you and probably had another opinion about trophy hunting when he had your amount. I am slowly feeling the same way and

thought getting platinums was one of the best things in gaming. But that was like 20 plats ago. Since then I do think different about the whole thing...

Edited by Gommes_

Man, blah blah blah. You people really like to talk. If the OP wants to change his gaming habits, more power to him. If another person doesn't play a game because of trophies, so much the better. Why do we need long, philosophical discussions on the nature of trophy hunters, when an easy (and appropriate) response to the OP would simply have been, "OK. Best of luck in your new gaming roles!" My only guess is that some people just love the sound of their own voice.

So, let me say: good luck, OP! I don't share your gaming values, but then again, I don't share your mind, either. Do what ya gotta do.

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Man, blah blah blah. You people really like to talk. If the OP wants to change his gaming habits, more power to him. If another person doesn't play a game because of trophies, so much the better. Why do we need long, philosophical discussions on the nature of trophy hunters, when an easy (and appropriate) response to the OP would simply have been, "OK. Best of luck in your new gaming roles!" My only guess is that some people just love the sound of their own voice.

So, let me say: good luck, OP! I don't share your gaming values, but then again, I don't share your mind, either. Do what ya gotta do.

Well this is a public forum. How boring would all the threads be if people just congratulate the OP on certain things?

Just now, Gommes_ said:

Well this is a public forum. How boring would all the threads be if people just congratulate the OP on certain things?

Then maybe the better idea would have been to tell the OP that this could have been a status update. I chose to take the friendlier approach. 

Unless of course you were excited about thread #1348 discussing why certain gamers with certain habits are worse people than other gamers with other habits?

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

Then maybe the better idea would have been to tell the OP that this could have been a status update. I chose to take the friendlier approach. 

Unless of course you were excited about thread #1348 discussing why certain gamers with certain habits are worse people than other gamers with other habits?

True, a status update would've been better. 

• Like 2