[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

Real life got in the way for a few days there. Apparently sun/heat followed by light rain for a couple days followed by more sun/heat makes a bunch of stuff ripen all at once. Do I get a star for actually farming? No? Oh well.

Highly doubt I'm finishing all my event games by the 15th...

On 8/2/2018 at 2:51 PM, AS_CHAOTIC said:

If I recall correctly @SyIaris im fairly certain that the HCR was different countries which is why I didn't mention it, it just hard to be in different locations, if it helps you visit multiple atlas facilities and helios as well. Just noticed that you've make off august, this was for January, shouldn't have a bronze marker yet.

Fair enough, I did forget you wound up off-planet too. Got it added in.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:31 PM, Psy-Tychist said:

For July I have completed Riptide GP2 which has several tracks which arbitrarily have very different looks (one ice track, one looking like the Outback, one standard USA stadium track, and another seemingly European based track). 

Eventide 3 has you travel from one European type country to a magical cloud city and an interdimensional crystal world. That may be stretching it a bit.

Update of the stats below.

Stats at the start of 2018:

Platinum trophies: 83

100% completed: 70

Completion: 52.25%

Stat changes during the year:

Platinum trophies: +37

100% completed: +18

Completion: +2.75%

Nice job! Also added a star for the "started a year ago" challenge.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:08 AM, BigHonkingOne said:

I was just about to ask this same question.

Can I be added too, please? I'll decide on a game after consulting with the Oracle. 

*EDIT*
I think I want to play Slime Rancher for the event. It releases on the PS4  August 21. It is already available on other platforms like XBOX ONE. 

Certainly, got you added now. Welcome!  :)

Slime Rancher's a fun one. Couple achievements are annoying, hopefully they don't give you too much trouble.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:50 AM, vin_rob said:

What about the story completion of injustice you have fights in all kind of places..

Anders the Digimon games they tend tot have a farm do that would count for the hc?

Yeesh, that game's skimpy on the story trophies. Sounds like it could, yeah. I wasn't shooting down the others I didn't specifically mention, by the way - just rather busy and haven't had a chance to look them up. If you think they apply, feel free to mention how.

I skipped hardcore examples because finding games in general seemed a bit rough for people and I just wanted to list a bunch. If it covers both animal raising (Digimon, so most/all should) and farming, yes, it counts.

6 hours ago, eigen-space said:

Not 100% sure if this will fit since I haven't played it, but this game is on sale in the US store right now for $8 and has trophies titled "Farmer", "Gardener", "Tamer", and "Rancher":

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/7581-deiland

It should count. In the pictures you can see that you can plant crops.

On 8/1/2018 at 0:44 AM, Dessane said:

@BrutalLooter,@cerafinn,@ExHaseo,@Fitzquaid,@Jesaya815,@Kent,@Kevvik, @Lorajet, @Mesopithecus, @Psy-Tychist, @starcrunch061, @Uchiha_Snake__, @vin_rob, @XX_FTW 

Hi friends, just a heads up you all don't have anything for July at the moment. Is there anything you'd like to put on your list?

Sorry for the (very) late reply. For July, put me down for Risen 3. Lots of travel between various islands (many of which are real places on earth), lots of staying at inns - it should fit well.

Just finished Earthlock which counts for:

--Hardcore requirement --- you grow plants in a garden and harvest from them, and you also catch barnacles to have them produce elemental cores, bugs that pollinate your plants, release crows from captivity to join you on your island, and grow "animal trees" as well which produce owls, frogs, kittens, etc
--Wouldn't have played anything soon --- I played the original Earthlock earlier this year and wasn't in any rush to play this "revised" version

Here's the plat image;
1Sa3bfcc.png

For anyone still looking for a game, this is a pretty good one.
A little history on the game-- the developers had released Earthlock: Festival of Magic a while back and, after realizing they could have done better with the game, actually re-released it as Earthlock and let anyone who had purchased the original game have it for free (finally a non-greedy dev!). The improvements to the game include filling plot holes as well as adding in some fun side quests that make the trophies feel like less of a chore.
The game is a bit open-ended, so I'm hoping for a sequel.

• Like 1

I really like the art style of Earthlock. I almost picked it up a hundred times when it was the Festival of Magic version. I was a little confused about why it went away. Glad to see they decided to put it back in the oven and fix it. Interesting that it wasn't like a content patch instead of a rerelease. 

3 hours ago, BigHonkingOne said:

I really like the art style of Earthlock. I almost picked it up a hundred times when it was the Festival of Magic version. I was a little confused about why it went away. Glad to see they decided to put it back in the oven and fix it. Interesting that it wasn't like a content patch instead of a rerelease. 

There was SO much that changed between the versions. They explained why they couldn't just patch it here, and how it was actually a concern for them.

@eigen-space got you updated, sorry for the delay.

I've been binging Final Fantasy XV, which has a DLC trophy for raising a chocobo to level 99 if anyone has the season pass/comrades and wants to go for that. It also has some gardening in the main game, but it seems... flimsy at best. Plant carrots in one tiny spot in a large plot, sleep, pick carrots, maybe be able to plant more, trade them to someone for equipment...

The grind to max out skills is kind of awful; wish it had been the AP board instead so it'd potentially be useful whenever I get the DLC. Remind me to never play another game with a fishing achievement.

Just finished Unholy Heights, which was the game I would have used if the other theme won for this month (you rent apartments to monsters).... but it actually fits this theme as well!

Basically the game has a mechanic where you leave items in a monster's room to attract a mate for them.... and then you also leave items in their room so that they have a higher chance of producing offspring. The reproduction mechanic is necessary to get one of the trophies (Circle of Life) and is also the only way that you can get strong enough monsters to beat the superboss for the trophy (Legendary Monster).

So this would go for the minor theme as well as the Other Event challenge because I'm using it in the PSNP Spelling Bee event :) 

14 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I might have responded to the wrong person earlier. I did get a game with July's theme. Risen 3 has you boating to various islands (many of which are real places on our Earth).

You're fine, that was entirely my fault. Saw there had been a recent edit to the main post and your last update was monochromatic (vaguely remembered from others playing it); didn't catch that it was June's and the wrong game.  :facepalm:

Sorry, got you updated now. Thanks for the catch.

10 hours ago, fishy10101 said:

Can't think of any games for this month so I might just have to use my first skip, there's always next time for a perfect year!

No shame there, seems to be a tougher month.

8 hours ago, eigen-space said:

Just finished Unholy Heights, which was the game I would have used if the other theme won for this month (you rent apartments to monsters).... but it actually fits this theme as well!

Basically the game has a mechanic where you leave items in a monster's room to attract a mate for them.... and then you also leave items in their room so that they have a higher chance of producing offspring. The reproduction mechanic is necessary to get one of the trophies (Circle of Life) and is also the only way that you can get strong enough monsters to beat the superboss for the trophy (Legendary Monster).

So this would go for the minor theme as well as the Other Event challenge because I'm using it in the PSNP Spelling Bee event :) 

So many random Steam games popping up on PS4.  :blink:

Nice work, got you updated.

Okay, this might be a little bit of a stretch but I think it counts. I’m submitting as my August platinum LEGO Jurassic World. There’s animal handling in raising, corralling, healing, creating and controlling dinosaurs at a dinosaur zoo. Animal handling! Boom, done for the month.

Edited by DoctorDrPepper

I was able to start Slime Rancher last night. Seems to be a pretty good fit for the category. That gameplay loop is pretty addicting though. There's always that one more little thing you could do before logging out. Like, there was a point last night where I was like, "Ok, its bed time. I'm done now... actually, I'll just go collect the plort from the corals and turn it in.. well now they are hungry..."  Three more whole in game days went by before my logical brain managed to sneak in a thought "FREAKING GO TO BED!!!"

• Like 1

I wish that the idol raising genre comes under this month's topic, if it did, I would have an entry in the form of Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection. It took over 4 years to plat for me.

Also I have completed Pokemon Go's pokedex this month, so that's probably something.

So, this might be a stretch, but...

In Life is Strange, you have the option to water your house plant. Your mom regularly sends you texts about it. There are consequences for over/under watering it.

Additionally, you can take care of a classmate's rabbit. I don't believe there are any consequences if you ignore it (the game shows an icon if you take an action that will affect something later in the game), but you are able to feed it.

If both of these sound plausible, then it fits the HC requirement :)

And, if so, anyone still looking for a game this month... this can easily be done in a couple days... I actually took my time with it because I like exploring/rewinding, and I got it done in just over 2 days.

Think I'll be using a skip this month.

Things are pretty busy at the moment. Hoping it'll settle down by the end of the month, but if not, the rollover will probably be late - I'll at least try to hop on and declare the winner. Thankfully, the themes for September are pretty straightforward.

On 8/20/2018 at 3:52 PM, DoctorDrPepper said:

Okay, this might be a little bit of a stretch but I think it counts. I’m submitting as my August platinum LEGO Jurassic World. There’s animal handling in raising, corralling, healing, creating and controlling dinosaurs at a dinosaur zoo. Animal handling! Boom, done for the month.

I listed Digimon and Pokemon as examples, "animals" doesn't have to be super standard.  :P

Updated, nice job getting it done.

On 8/22/2018 at 7:17 AM, BigHonkingOne said:

I was able to start Slime Rancher last night. Seems to be a pretty good fit for the category. That gameplay loop is pretty addicting though. There's always that one more little thing you could do before logging out. Like, there was a point last night where I was like, "Ok, its bed time. I'm done now... actually, I'll just go collect the plort from the corals and turn it in.. well now they are hungry..."  Three more whole in game days went by before my logical brain managed to sneak in a thought "FREAKING GO TO BED!!!"

Yeah, it's a good fit. Good game, too! Got some feeders by now? They certainly help.

21 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I am surprised nobody is doing the obvious, Stardew Valley. But then again, I may have missed it. :)

As Markus mentioned... it's 100+ hours, generally considered pretty difficult, and the plat's under 1% on here. It may be a good game, but it's definitely a commitment. Nothing wrong with people going for it, but it's certainly too late to start it now.

8 hours ago, Yomako01 said:

I wish that the idol raising genre comes under this month's topic, if it did, I would have an entry in the form of Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection. It took over 4 years to plat for me.

Also I have completed Pokemon Go's pokedex this month, so that's probably something.

Got you down for Go. Could be argued that people are animals, but I'm not really sure on whether it should count.  :dunno:

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

So, this might be a stretch, but...

In Life is Strange, you have the option to water your house plant. Your mom regularly sends you texts about it. There are consequences for over/under watering it.

Additionally, you can take care of a classmate's rabbit. I don't believe there are any consequences if you ignore it (the game shows an icon if you take an action that will affect something later in the game), but you are able to feed it.

If both of these sound plausible, then it fits the HC requirement :)

And, if so, anyone still looking for a game this month... this can easily be done in a couple days... I actually took my time with it because I like exploring/rewinding, and I got it done in just over 2 days.

That seems a bit too much of a stretch to me, to be honest. Not a hard no, but... well, I excluded one of my own games that had a tiny gardening sidequest.  :unsure: