1 minute ago, aZombieDictator said:

Top 5 reasons to play life is strange.

My top five reasons are:

1) It's really good

2) The boxed edition came with the soundtrack which is really good

3) I'd of bought it for £30 so £16 at release is a really good

4) Very few games make me cry but this one did so that's really good

5) Doctor Who references are always really good

His argument makes no sense. "Literally pointless" could be applied to just about anything in life. Unless you're out there helping future generations strive, curing world hunger, finding the cure to cancer, etc. what are you really achieving?

You could go and get a job, earn a decent amount of money, and live a good life. But then you die, and to some people that life would be "literally pointless", because in the end nothing you did actually mattered in the grand scheme of the world at large.

Gaming is a hobby, if you're enjoying it you're doing nothing wrong. Who cares if you're accomplishing anything or not?

9 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

My top five reasons are:

1) It's really good

2) The boxed edition came with the soundtrack which is really good

3) I'd of bought it for £30 so £16 at release is a really good

4) Very few games make me cry but this one did so that's really good

5) Doctor Who references are always really good

6) Easy Platinum :P (but those are good reasons, I bought the version with soundtrack as well)

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

When I run into people like that, I play the completionist card.

I've been 100%ing games since I was like 5 years old. Platinums are just a byproduct of that. I wouldn't even call myself a trophy hunter. Just a completionist that happens to have trophies lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

6) Easy Platinum :P (but those are good reasons, I bought the version with soundtrack as well)

I bought it twice, first on the PS3, then when the physical version was announced to the soundtrack... well I couldn't resist, I once listened to Mountains on loop for 3 hours. 

This is something that i don't get it. If you don't like trophies? good for you! if you like trophies? good for you! Why some ppl nowadays have this need to attack things that are different from them and from what they "approve" goes beyond me. I am a trophy hunter as well and i have a very easy reply for this: long before trophies existed in my times of ps1 i would always play every game until i unlocked every secret of the game (endings, costumes, secret weapons, secret scenes, etc). Now all this content are bought not unlocked for free anymore. Here is the thing, i don't buy it, instead, i unlock the trophies, that are for free.  So i really think that i "changed" this drive to keep enjoying the game and having more fun with it. A lot of gamers are completionist some even more than me and strive for 100%. Everything goes!  it's like @DuckSwimmer said, getting my money worth it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Who cares what people think?

People like Coldplay. And Transformers. And Avatar. 

People are idiots.

People also like Logan/Jake Paul and follow celebrities mindlessly.

So yeah there's tons of idiots out there but there's way worse stuff to like than Coldplay, Transformers, and Avatar. That stuff is high quality to some of the garbage out there that millions of people like.

But anyways this is off topic, sorry lol.

It is all personal taste isn't it? And if you're not used to something or don't do it you can find it pointless or at least a bit odd. But everyone his own thing.

For example my family often says that it is stupid that i game (just gaming, not trophy hunting, i wont even bother trying to explain them) a lot, they don't do it so they think it is pointless or stupid and they also think that i spend way too much money on it (on which they're right). But i also think that about my sister who spends a lot of money on sigarets and make-up. Two things, especially the smoking, that i don't do or use while for her it is completely normal.

To the OP, i've never met such a person. I got a couple of people who messaged me that they were impressed with my trophy count. But never the other way round. What i do get is people threatening me with my life in a Rocket League chat. Which is something i have more problems with.

11 minutes ago, Lars said:

It is all personal taste isn't it? And if you're not used to something or don't do it you can find it pointless or at least a bit odd. But everyone his own thing.

For example my family often says that it is stupid that i game (just gaming, not trophy hunting, i wont even bother trying to explain them) a lot, they don't do it so they think it is pointless or stupid and they also think that i spend way too much money on it (on which they're right). But i also think that about my sister who spends a lot of money on sigarets and make-up. Two things, especially the smoking, that i don't do or use while for her it is completely normal.

To the OP, i've never met such a person. I got a couple of people who messaged me that they were impressed with my trophy count. But never the other way round. What i do get is people threatening me with my life in a Rocket League chat. Which is something i have more problems with.

Yeah my family doesn't understand gaming at all either, I also spend way too much on it as you can tell by my other post from yesterday. (I have a Vita collection worth over $2,500 and over $2,000 worth of other stuff) But yeah I could be spending that money on alcohol, weed or cigarettes too. So I'd say it's better spending money on games over drugs lol. I'm pretty much the only person in my family that actually play game anymore. Well my mom plays, and my cousins play Counterstrike but that's about it. None of them really understand gaming like I do or other hardcore players.

And wow, that sounds fun. I usually don't play online and if I do it's in a party with chill people or just some multiplayer where I don't use mics. And I'm pretty sure people randomly add me because of the high trophy level, but I have no idea.

6 minutes ago, Merlarva said:

Says the person using Facebook, LMAO. Absolutely pathetic.

I use Facebook because it's where all my friends are and how I communicate with people. It's still a great site if you know people there. I even get all my gaming news from Facebook. At least I'm not using Snapchat or instagram.

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Merlarva said:

Says the person using Facebook, LMAO. Absolutely pathetic.

Social media is what you make of it. I have plenty of intelligent conversations with like minded people on Facebook and very rarely do I run into any drama. Facebook can be a fantastic tool and there is no shame in using it. 

Parker

• Like 1

Most of my friends are actually. In fact, I have two that didn't even know what trophies even were. One of them does a lot of gaming for fun, but when I asked him what his psn name and how many platinums he had, he was like "I don't remember my psn, and what's a platinum trophy? I don't know what even looks like!". Indeed, there are many out there. The other friend didn't even know she had 3 platinums (easy ones like Tales from the Borderlands and Tomb Raider) until we gamed together and I showed her how to check her trophy list.... 

My brother is another. He's addicted to ffx, ffxii and Kingdom Hearts and has all the original games, and played the remakes for both ps3 and ps4 for KH. But he's never online and everything on his profile his hidden. He doesn't bother with or even know what the conditions are for getting the trophies in these games despite playing them over a million times and clocking hundreds of hours on his saves. 

I don't know any trophy hunters IRL, I'm surrounded by those who just game for fun (even many of those I meet at anime conventions) so that's why I like coming on this site. Who would have thought trophy hunters were a minority, or at least where I live.

I've never met anyone like that but I've never had the opportunity. I don't use facebook, or twitter or any other form of social media other than this site. The people I know do, people I've known for years and people at work are genuinely interested in what I've been up to recently. They do play but absolutely none of them trophy hunt so it's always nice when when they ask if I have any new platinums, the answer is usually no :lol: 

The thing about people in my experience is we don't like backing down, we're stubborn and if we say something we tend to stick by it. It's not impossible to change someone's mind through a well made counter argument but generally people will stick to their guns. And that's fine, the thing is there's no right or wrong when someone says trophy hunting is a waste of time, it's a matter of interpretation.

What I think is wrong though, is basically asking someone to justify why they do something they enjoy, something they love and are passionate about and that goes for everything, not just this subject. That's intolerance and something I perceive to be an extremely unattractive trait. And going back to the above point, intolerant people like the guy you encountered are far less likely to change their minds than most people. I honestly think the best thing to do in that type of situation is just walk away, you won't change their mind no matter how strong an argument you put forward and like I said, you shouldn't be put in a situation where you should have to justify what you're doing. I had a go at engaging someone similar on this site a few days back and found the guy I was addressing couldn't be reasoned with, at that point I left the discussion as going any further would be wasting my time. 

If someone asks out of curiosity why you hunt trophies by all means answer that question, curiosity isn't a bad thing. But if you come across another dude with an attitude, just stay clear, it's not going to be worth the time and effort you put into it. Just keep doing what you're doing man, we still love ya! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Parker said:

Eh, comparing someone who thinks consoles are stupid to people who killed millions of innocent people would make you look pretty silly, in my opinion. You should just ignore them, stop caring what other people think about how you enjoy yourself. 

Parker

I see your point, however they made the comparison to Nazis themselves by referring to their way of gaming as the "Master Race," all that is being done by calling them a Nazi is pointing out that they're acting like a "Master Race" Nazi.

I never really understood the "getting my moneys worth" argument. I think it's because I clearly don't get my moneys worth. More than half my games are on my shelves completely untouched. I actually prefer shorter games because a game that takes 12 hours to beat will actually get beaten where as a game that takes 50+ hours will probably get abandoned. GTA 5 was a perfect example of that. I started it a couple of weeks back, spent about 20 hours on it, got side-tracked... I might go back to it, but I've moved on to other games.

I'd honestly rather spend my money on a really good game that's 10 hours long and love every second, than get a decent 50+ hour long game and push it to 80 hours long by chasing trophies... which is probably why I don't have any. 'InFamous: Second Son' was the first game I came close to platinum-ing because I love that game. I think for me the reason I want to get platinum trophies is I want to find new ways to enjoy the games I love or new challenges to keep my mind active. Games like 'Super Meat Boy' for example are great fun but I'm not even trying for the platinum. I won't get it, I don't have the skill or the patience. If I try for the platinum it will stop being fun for me, just like how 'Shovel Knight' stopped being fun on the Wii U when I tried to 100% it...

I think being a completionist requires a certain mentality that most people will never truly get, and then there's people like me who get it but lack the patience to throw myself in whole hog. If I can get a dozen platinums over the next year or two I'll be happy; so long as they're in games I actually enjoyed. I don't understand getting a platinum for a game you don't like; that makes no sense to me. After all you have a limited amount of time on this planet, why waste it on stuff you don't enjoy?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 5:41 PM, ExHaseo said:

I always like to use the argument that trophy hunting is a way to get more value out of a game. If you're spending $60 on a game, then just play through the story, you're not getting much value out of it. Especially if it's a shorter game. By trophy hunting, you spend way more time on the game. Making the game a way better value overall. People generally can't argue against spending less money.

This is how I've always looked at it. Back in the days before achievements and trophy's I'd buy a game, beat the story, then put it back on the shelf or sell it... though there might be a rare exception that when I do beat the story I may continue to play, usually sandbox games like GTA. These days, by trophy hunting, I'm spending way more time on a game than I used to and I definitely feel like I'm getting my money's worth. 

I got about 7 RL friends on my PSN account, I think they only have 1 platinum trophy between them lol and that's Shadow of Mordor. I haven't really asked them if they've seen my profile, and what they think of it. I mean, I'm not really bothered if they think I'm some sort of super geek lol I enjoy collecting trophies, and I don't care what anyone else thinks. :) 

• Like 1

Somehow I haven't come across people like that but I guess it's because I avoid social media like a plague and tend to keep to myself in public. Trophies being pointless can be said the same of Facebook with the "1 Like = 1 Prayer" posts or whatever other dumb shit they do on there now.

19 hours ago, BurnedChipmunk said:

I never really understood the "getting my moneys worth" argument. I think it's because I clearly don't get my moneys worth. More than half my games are on my shelves completely untouched. I actually prefer shorter games because a game that takes 12 hours to beat will actually get beaten where as a game that takes 50+ hours will probably get abandoned. GTA 5 was a perfect example of that. I started it a couple of weeks back, spent about 20 hours on it, got side-tracked... I might go back to it, but I've moved on to other games.

I'd honestly rather spend my money on a really good game that's 10 hours long and love every second, than get a decent 50+ hour long game and push it to 80 hours long by chasing trophies... which is probably why I don't have any. 'InFamous: Second Son' was the first game I came close to platinum-ing because I love that game. I think for me the reason I want to get platinum trophies is I want to find new ways to enjoy the games I love or new challenges to keep my mind active. Games like 'Super Meat Boy' for example are great fun but I'm not even trying for the platinum. I won't get it, I don't have the skill or the patience. If I try for the platinum it will stop being fun for me, just like how 'Shovel Knight' stopped being fun on the Wii U when I tried to 100% it...

I think being a completionist requires a certain mentality that most people will never truly get, and then there's people like me who get it but lack the patience to throw myself in whole hog. If I can get a dozen platinums over the next year or two I'll be happy; so long as they're in games I actually enjoyed. I don't understand getting a platinum for a game you don't like; that makes no sense to me. After all you have a limited amount of time on this planet, why waste it on stuff you don't enjoy?

I totally agree. RPG's and Japanese games are always super long while action and platform games seem to be a fraction of the time. But I've played a lot of rubbish RPG games that are super long, probably Tales of Zestiria being the finest example for me. It was expensive when it came out, but it got flamed and burned by fans so by the time I actually got it, it was on Amazon for only €5 so they must have had a lot of trade in's and dead stock. Biggest price drop I had ever seen despite the game volume. I enjoyed a few short games as well, like Tomb Raider which is usually only like 10 hours or so. I only put the effort into trophies for games I really enjoy and don't mind playing more than just the story, but I don't bother with games that are boring as I could never have the patience or perseverance, although I do enjoy earning trophies. 

• 4 years later...