Trophy hunting for other people as a service.

USA_Elite_Badass

I couldn't care less how someone else chooses to spend their money, however I think it completely defeats the purpose of having a trophy collection when you didn't earn them yourself. It is also a great way to lose access to your account since giving a complete stranger your log-in information isn't the smartest thing in the world. 

Parker

• Like 3

I heard of people sharing accounts in the same house. Some even name themselves as a family or group like "blah blah family" or whatever. 

There's a large population of gamers out there that don't care about trophies. Other ones care enough to be trophy hunters. Some others only care sometimes.

I have seen people sell their consoles with their accounts. People do buy them.

So, I don't think some people care about if they actually did the earning or not. Honestly, nobody would ever know anyways because it's just between the account owners and person giving service.

And, I don't think your average trophy hunter cares about bragging. They just want to look good to other people. And, I think having more trophies makes you look more like a trophy hunter and more likely to boost with people or team up with them so highly skilled trophy hunters are more likely to be your friend and do the same. 

1 minute ago, USA_Elite_Badass said:

I heard of people sharing accounts in the same house. Some even name themselves as a family or group like "blah blah family" or whatever. 

There's a difference between playing games with someone in your house and actively paying someone to earn trophies for you. I play games with my siblings all the time. Heck, I even have a few trophies on my account that they helped me with. But that's just stuff among family or close friends. I would never pay someone to play games for me just so I could "look" better.

If your argument is "Well, some people do it," I don't disagree. I'm sure there are people out there who would pay for this service. I could understand somebody desperately wanting help with a really hard trophy, and maybe I could understand paying someone a few bucks to get it out of the way so that you could enjoy the rest of the game, but paying someone to complete an entire game for you? I don't know.

If ever there was an argument for trophies ruining gaming, that would be it.

• Like 1

I don't really care about this issue, but like several previous comments, it goes against the purpose of earning trophies for your own pleasure.

It's like going to an arcade and paying for another person to beat the high score, instead of you doing it and enjoying at the same time.

I get that some people are really dedicated to trophy hunting, but to pay someone else to earn trophies that only have meaning to you and only you... that's silly.

That reminded me of people paying for lessons to get better at competitive games like LoL or fighting games. But it makes senses in this case, because you're paying to have someone teaching you how to be better at the game.

Well, people can do whatever they want, as long as they're aware that they're exposing private data to a complete stranger.

Edited by omarbanzai

Never forget,

That time when I was like 8 and stuck on a level of Spider-Man 2 and this guy in my school thought he could beat it so I gave him my memory card for the night and he beat it for me and I bought him a bottle of lemonade and a donut.

#hacker

• Like 2

To each their own, but be careful who you grant access to your account. Some might be trustworthy, others will take over your account, mess it up or buy something with your money. This could result in impossible time stamps or hacked trophies, use at your own risk. Also, don't let Sony know. You're not allowed to hand over your login data, so don't share it on PSN or in the public parts of the internet if you use a trophy service.

As for reasons for and against using a trophy service...

- It's risky.

- You didn't earn the trophies yourself.

- It's against Sony's Terms of Service, Sony banning your account is not impossible (if you or the trophy service lack professionalism and make it way too obvious).

- Someone can earn the trophies for you, you can play the game casually without spoilers/guides/multiple playthroughs and primarily enjoy the story without worrying about missable trophies. This can be more fun than following a guide and planning everything beforehand.

- If your level is all you care about and you don't care about the methods, but don't want to cheat, it's a fast way to level up and could be cheaper than buying loads of short games.

- You started a game and don't want to play it ever again, but want the trophies for your 100% profile. A trophy service can do the work for you, you don't have to spend your free time on something you don't want to do.

- Lastly, are trophies really worth the money?

tl;dr: Be aware of the upsides, downsides and risks, do your research on the trophy service first and then do whatever you want with your account.

Personally, I wouldn't respect a trophy list that I am aware of as being a hacker or someone who allows others to sign in to do "difficult" trophies. There are some select trophies that are still not an issue if someone else did it for you, like if someone came over to your place and did some easy misc trophies while playing that game on your account. I see various people who are happy to get someone to invite them to a trophy world on Minecraft which has every trophy set out for them and ready for the taking, but nobody considers this as bad practice because you need to be invited to the lobby to leech it, now I don't really care if people get carried with online trophies or whatnot but it's being a bit hypocritical if you let other people do the work for you online but complain about people who let other people do the work for them in a single player game. 

I can't say I'd have anything against people who decide they wish to sell the trophies to other people, if they feel that it's something they can make money out of then they should be free to do it, it doesn't matter if a few trophy elitists hate them over it for "ruining the integrity of the leaderboards", considering the leaderboards will never be 100% clean as it is. What I kind of hate seeing personally is people who get carried with games but still act like they struggled and worked hard for it and the same can be applied for the various people I've known who paid for trophies and still behaved like the game was such a difficult accomplishment for them. I say personally, if you're going to blame anyone then blame the buyer, not the seller, they say "If you're good at something, don't do it for free" and that statement can be applied to people who are good at doing trophies quickly for various games, if someone's willing to pay then let them spend the money for those prestigious digital images. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 2

I was actually looking at some of these sites on the weekend. I really don't know why anyone would pay money to have someone else earn trophies for them. One site was asking £380 for all 3 Crash Bandicoot which in NZ$ is $670! You can even pay people to earn Nubla and Energy Cycle plats which as far as I'm aware (since I won't sully my profile with them) take no effort and very little time to complete. I don't know if these prices are based on already owning the game or not but for what they are asking I would hope they include them buying the game instead of you.

I think that's pathetic. I rather have an incomplete game in my profile knowing that I tried my best to plat and/or100% it without luck than displaying something I did not earn on my own. I wouldn't be proud of a trophy earned that way. Besides, where is the fun in not earning your own trophies? If you think you are not skilled enough to earn all trophies from a game, then just don't play it. Trophies, and any thing you earn on your own mean a lot to you since you know how much time and effort you put into them.

• Like 1