Will Sony Completely Forget About PS3?

SlaveBeastTaka

17 hours ago, Swotam said:

To be honest, probably never. I mean, aside from needing to keep those games stored in a datacenter somewhere so that they can be downloaded there's not really a significant cost associated with having them for sale, so odds are you'll always be able to buy them digitally. Physical on the other hand will likely disappear soon (if not already) since retailers don't want to waste shelf space on products that don't sell in high volume.

Cost isn't really the issue - when games disappear it will have more to do with licencing.

A publisher's deal with a licence holder may include terms that the publisher will lose the right to sell any games developed under the licence when the licence expires. E.g. Disney's deal with EA may (I am speculating on a hypothetical - I have no idea what Disney's actual licence terms are) include a term that, on expiry of the licence, EA loses the right to sell games like Battlefront (2015) and Battlefront II. At this point, they would be taken down from sale on the store.

This will, of course, vary on a case by case basis. Some licences may be time limited in this way, other's wont be. 

Sony would probably make it so that if you had already bought it then it would remain in your library and you could download it again though, as this would not constitute a new licence to use the software. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

11 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

The PS Store being a trainwreck on the PS3 since they launched the 'beta' in Europe and to it's official launch of beta testing the PS4 store, obviously they already forgot and don't give two shits. That thing is a POS. (The PS Store on PS3). Can't do shit before it crashes, hangs for days [so does PS4 though], among other problems. Mess. I don't even have the dumb thing installed. Thank Yevon we can queue things up via the webstore.

Yes but it still freezes the console sometimes if you queue too many (big) things up.

2 hours ago, Natsuu24 said:

Well, in some stores i already saw only few games for PS3, and sometimes 0! But Sony will not forget PS3, but care less and less. I think they will always sell games for the console, atleast digitally

True . I'm seeing less and less shelf space for PS3 games on stores that sell new games . I can always rely on used stores or buying online to get the PS3 games i still would want .

Edited by Sigma999
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 5:40 PM, SlaveBeastTaka said:

I know there's still alot of units left. but, what will happen when they are all gone. Will Sony make PS3's again. I know also they will stop making PS3 games. :(

Let's ban the INTERNET to save the libraries......same philosophy. But I'm glad they've stopped with the PS3 for obvious reasons but that been said for someone who has never played PS3 games now is the time to get it. It's cheap and has an amazing library which should keep you busying for at least 3 years if you none stop gaming 

On 12/11/2017 at 5:40 PM, SlaveBeastTaka said:

I know there's still alot of units left. but, what will happen when they are all gone. Will Sony make PS3's again. I know also they will stop making PS3 games. :(

Let's ban the INTERNET to save the libraries......same philosophy. But I'm glad they've stopped with the PS3 for obvious reasons but that been said for someone who has never played PS3 games now is the time to get it. It's cheap and has an amazing library which should keep you busying for at least 3 years if you non stop gaming 

Edited by DF007gamer

On 12/11/2017 at 4:16 PM, DarkSoleride said:

Sony will keep it connected to PSN just like the PSP and PS Vita currently is now yes, the moment they drop PS3 and PS Vita games on the PS+ subscription is the day a complete hault will come which will be very welcomed as in turn we should get better games for PS4. So yes like with every generation the previous gets left behind.

Sony will provide lousy games for the PS4 even if they stop PS3 and Vita games from PS Plus. Don't even dream things will be different otherwise. Now that they're leading the market they'll milk the cow to the limit. If they drop PS3 and Vita games all you'll get is 2 lousy or almost PS4 games.

I just bought a few games I always wanted to play for less then 10€ each (so now you should get the titles you want, in a few years the graphics etc. will be hard to take)... slowly the PS4 is getting some good titles like Nier, Persona, Horizon, Bloodborne and such but to me it feels like the PS3 Generation had a lot more innovative titles (or better if you will). There is nothing like Cathrine, Bayonetta, Dead Space  etc. on the PS4.

Summarized I think you can say that the so called middel market in the games industry is extinct. 

Edited by OBSTINATIO
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, cris3f said:

Sony will provide lousy games for the PS4 even if they stop PS3 and Vita games from PS Plus. Don't even dream things will be different otherwise. Now that they're leading the market they'll milk the cow to the limit. If they drop PS3 and Vita games all you'll get is 2 lousy or almost PS4 games.

hence the word *should*

On 12/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, DuckSwimmer said:

The only thing I've seen come out new and be sent to my store is Persona 5, NBA 2K18, Fifa 18 legacy (Most likely the LAST Fifa because of the "legacy" in the name) and Just Dance 2018.

The system has been dying since PS4 released because what's the point in supporting an older generation system when they can put all of their attention to a current-gen system.

Well, they were still manufacturing and selling the Sega genesis/mega drive in Brazil a couple years ago, think they only stopped selling the master system there about 7 years ago

• Like 2

On 12-12-2017 at 5:46 AM, DuckSwimmer said:

The only thing I've seen come out new and be sent to my store is Persona 5, NBA 2K18, Fifa 18 legacy (Most likely the LAST Fifa because of the "legacy" in the name) and Just Dance 2018.

The system has been dying since PS4 released because what's the point in supporting an older generation system when they can put all of their attention to a current-gen system.

Legacy probably only means worse version on old system in this case. Fifa 14 came out on PS4, PS3.... and PS2. They just did a roster update on an old fifa version and sold it as new. Fifa 14 on PS2 probably looks like Fifa 06, but with updated names. I'm not so sure that 18 will be the last on PS3.

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Well, they were still manufacturing and selling the Sega genesis/mega drive in Brazil a couple years ago, think they only stopped selling the master system there about 7 years ago

This is 100% true. The production for ps3 here has dwindled but still there is plenty ps3 on shelves on chain stores or even small gaming stores. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I play mine all the time, but I always check out games before I buy (being a Trophy Hunter).

If there is MP Trophies I won't buy it unless the Servers are Active & the Forums have people playing it. I'm much more careful than I used to be.

Still love my PS3 and my backlog is ridiculous!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm not surprised that Sony is phasing the PS3 out of production, but I think I'll keep playing my system until the buttons fall off.  I waited several years after release before buying mine.  I started grad school and only got convinced to buy the damn thing after drinking waaaaaaaay too much during St. Patrick's Day, lol.  Still, I love RPGs and I've said elsewhere that I'll keep my system so long as there are decent RPGs worth shooting for a platinum.  I haven't kept up with PS4's RPG collection, and I've only seen a few in passing, so... I'm sticking to it.  ?

It will go the same route as all previous consoles. The answer lies in History. I understand why people still ask these stupid questions as not letting go of their favorite console is difficult but imagine I still hang onto my Nintendo hand held OIL PANIC. (actually wish I did). But yes It has to go.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:51 PM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

The BIG question is. When will they remove PSN support for PS3? Bye bye digitals!

On 12/11/2017 at 2:36 PM, Cthulhu said:

PSN doesn't work like the eShop does, PS3s connect to the same network PS4s and Vitas connect to. Unless Sony decides to create an entire new network for the PS5 instead of building upon the old one, expect PSN support for the PS3 to last at least another decade.

I mean, we don't know for sure.  By simple database design, our PSN profiles should be unique by something other than our usernames... yet we can't change them, because the way Sony designed it made the PSN ID's what the entire thing hinges instead of something no one would ever care about, like an arbitrary auto-incrementing number.  We don't know how the infrastructure is built, especially since the digital shop only really came into prominence at the end of the PS3 generation.  I'm sure they patched things together pretty haphazardly to try and meet demand (see: problems digitally distributing games like GTAV on the PS3 at launch) and who knows how that may play into the PS3's network viability long-term.  Especially as PSN is forced to evolve to keep up with the Joneses.

Besides, I'm sure as time goes on, Sony will be tempted to turn off older consoles (and handhelds) access purely to save on whatever server resources they can.  I mean, they've closed down various apps and services over the years that people may or may not have been using, so much for the idea of "well it doesn't hurt anything to keep it going".  Whether that means cutting access to the store and your purchased games outright... who knows, and maybe most people wouldn't care by the time that comes... but the idea that you'd ever "own" something forever (or at least as long as you personally want to) when you're effectively borrowing it and access is 100% at the discretion of someone/something else is a fallacy.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:05 PM, Cthulhu said:

I know it seems risky, but years from now when eShop support for the Switch stops, one of two things will happen: 1) I won't even have a Switch at that point because I've moved on to more recent consoles, and I don't care about the eShop being taken down, or 2) I still have a Switch, and I still have all my downloadable games on one or more microSD cards, and I still don't mind.

It's funny that just as gaming reaches a point of mainstream acceptance, and games are at their most visually and thematically creative... that the digital, throwaway culture starts to gain traction.  To each their own, but gaming as an artform deserves better IMO.

To that point, in scenario #2, I'd have to assume those downloaded games are tied to a certain account... and there's probably a myriad of ways to lose sync between your console, your account, and your downloaded games that you may not be able to get back should the network ever be taken offline.  Like say, something as simple as having to reformat the Switch's internal memory and not being able to log in again... ie. I doubt you'd be able to walk over to your buddy's house, pop in your microSD on their Switch, and just start playing.

Again, however cathartic and problem solving copying games off of the system may feel, the idea that you "own" them anymore by doing so is a fallacy.

Edited by Dreakon13

I'm fairly certain the fucking PSP store is still up on that system. I don't think they're gonna cut support any time soon. They have stopped advertising sales on the PS3 store itself, though and as of more recently (past couple of months) on the website. They still put timed sales up but you kind of have to look for them. It would be difficult to lock out online stores for older systems considering the ability to redownload games is tied to the store being active and able to connect to the internet. Sony systems tend to last for ages, though. Pretty sure the last PS2 game came out in 2014. 

One things for sure I'd never be without my PS3.

In the last few months I've got over 10 games that I've always been meaning to go back to for stupid cheap prices!  These are the ones that first come to mind but there are lots more.

Doom 3 £4

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine £1

Dead space 2 £2

Escape Dead Island £1.50

Mod Nation Racers £4

Batman Arkham Origins £4

Ratchet & Clank trilogy £6.50

Split Second £2

Plant vs Zombies Garden Warfare £10

£35.00 for all those is an absolute joke lols!

And when you think of all the hundreds of games still around that you always wanted to have a try at but never gor round to, the list is endless!  Of course the main problem we face now is scrambling to get all the online trophies knocked out ASAP due to the server closures coming in thick and fast and ever rising.  It will be a very sad day when the time comes for the PS3 to be dead forever but turning a frown upside down no console is ever dead forever ;) It'll only be the online side if you think about it.  This timeless classic of a console can NEVER die!

Edited by MIKEY-L-666

9 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

I'm fairly certain the fucking PSP store is still up on that system. I don't think they're gonna cut support any time soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable

The PlayStation Vita features backward compatibility with many PlayStation Portable games digitally released on the PlayStation Network, via PlayStation Store. As of 2017, this is the primary method to purchase PlayStation Portable games digitally because Sony shut down direct access to the PlayStation Store via PSP on March 31, 2016.

For reference, the platform was discontinued in 2014.  So it took roughly two years to bail on the storefront after officially ending support.  The PS3 is a much bigger entity than the PSP and likely won't go anywhere anytime soon... but just saying.  Who knows where they go 5-10 years from now.

Edited by Dreakon13

Sony still makes money from digital games they sell on legacy platforms, so there isn't really a reason to shut them down any time soon. Things could change in the future if they have to change their server backend and migrating their PSP/PS3 system maybe isn't feasible.

If they decide to make the PS5 fully backwards compatible with PS3 (including PS1 and PS2 classics), then it will live on for a much longer time.

6 hours ago, DoctorGameGeek said:

I'm not surprised that Sony is phasing the PS3 out of production, but I think I'll keep playing my system until the buttons fall off.  I waited several years after release before buying mine.  I started grad school and only got convinced to buy the damn thing after drinking waaaaaaaay too much during St. Patrick's Day, lol.  Still, I love RPGs and I've said elsewhere that I'll keep my system so long as there are decent RPGs worth shooting for a platinum.  I haven't kept up with PS4's RPG collection, and I've only seen a few in passing, so... I'm sticking to it.  1f61d.png

I've been getting back into the PS3 to play some of the earlier PS+ offerings.