PSStore: Possibility to gift a game

Caju_94

PS Store: Offer a PS Store game  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this would be a nice feature?

• Yes
    • No

Hey there

I do not use Steam, but I know that when you buy a Steam game, you can offer it to a friend trough a gift system, or even buy a Steam Key elsewhere and offer it as a present to another person. I already gave one as a birthday present. :)

Last Christmas I wanted to buy a PS4 game for a friend, but I had to get a physical game, since you can't offer a game trough PS Store (unless I created an account with the digital game(s) bought with it, like many digital stores do) and sometimes you have PS Store exclusives you can't offer. Very few are the games, at least here in Portugal, that you can buy trough a PSN Card, and I prefer to offer a specific game rather than wallet money for the PS Store.

Like Steam, I think it would not be a bad idea to least have the possibility to buy a Digital game as a gift and offer it to whoever I wanted.

Do you think the PS Store might someday have this feature? What is your opinion on this? Yes? No? You think it could have some risks or some flaws that could be exploited? I think it depends whether or not the offer is trough a key or goes directly to the account of whoever gets the gift.

Edited by Caju_94

Have been wanting this for a long time, but I’ve resorted to just buying digital codes from Amazon for the few PSN games they sell. And when they don’t, gifting PS Store codes which is just overkill lol. I’ve been using it for almost a decade on Nintendo systems, and now Xbox, I hope PlayStation finally comes around this year even if it’s only through the browser / app storefront.

Just now, MB_27_Beach said:

Would be a pretty nice feature.  Probably one of the problems would be that people would try to gift PS+ games to friends.  The whole logistic nightmare, you know?

They could always solve that by letting people buy PS Plus games when they are still free / after downloading free for people who like to support the devs.

7 minutes ago, Tosmasta00 said:

I really would like that aswell i wonder if gifting games would work for different regions since then i'd like someone to gift me some JP games and some US store games

Haha, yeah, I wondered how this would work myself. My guess is that they would make it region locked if it ever happened.

I've thought about this recently too. It would be great to be able to gift friends a specific game on their birthday or at Christmas, especially since they would feel obligated to play them. :giggle: The best option we have right now is buying PSN wallet top-up cards, but that can be a bit of a hassle with all the different regions, and you can't really get them to buy a specific game.

I can see how it would be exploited, but I think a lot of that can be avoided by making it so you have to be friends with someone on PSN for 6 months or something before you can gift them a game. Even with the possible downsides of this, I still think on the whole it would be beneficial for Sony to implement something like this. It's something we want and I'm sure it would result in a lot more games being bought.

Edited by Undead Wolf

37 minutes ago, Tosmasta00 said:

I really would like that aswell i wonder if gifting games would work for different regions since then i'd like someone to gift me some JP games and some US store games

This might be one of the reasons why Sony doesn't allow it. Some games are region specific and you must create an account from the specific country you want the game.

Also, Germany doesn't share some games that the rest of Europe has, and of course, games like Wolfenstein and Saints Row 3 are different versions.

At least Sony could offer gifts for accounts of the same country as you, I guess...

I'm 99% sure Sony removed the feature for viewing a friend's wishlist

I think it's a fantastic offer, I've bought video games as presents on multiple occasions for my brother and a fellow gamer friend when I lived in Ireland. But now that I've emigrated on my own to the UK and live away from all my family and friends, e-gifts are a lot more convenient than shipping a physical gift. 

However, you could gift a digital PSN voucher, so the other person can choose whatever game they want. My brother is a digital person, but I guess choosing a game that you think the other person might like appears more thoughtful than just a voucher. 

The only hurdle I can see in gifting games is region restrictions, like only being able to gift games to people of the same region. But I guess most people have multiple accounts for each region so it's probably not too much of a hassle.

I don't think Sony will do it, but I can't think of any detrimental factors to introducing gifting games. It seems like more money in it for them, so what's there to lose! But if they haven't done it after all these years... 

I tried to gift a game to my friend in the UK on Steam. Despite the game being on sale in both regions - and when currency was converted, the exact same sale price - I wasn't allowed to gift it to him. I had to create an account and have him as a friend to gift him a game, and to add him to my list of friends I had to top up my wallet. So I topped up whatever it was gonna cost, added him as a friend, added it to my cart, and only  THEN was I told we couldn't gift as our currencies were different. Whack, as my US friends had gifted him games before.

Thankfully I got my wallet money back (*cough* Sony pls *cough*) but it was a hassle. I couldn't even change my region to the UK - despite being a British Citizen and having an address I could use. I imagine the different region would be an issue for Sony too. I ended up sending him the money via Paypal and he got it, but bleh, still frustrating.

But even the feature of being able to buy credit and send them, idk, $10 worth of PSN credit would be awesome! That way they could pick the game they wanted but it'd still show up at a certain time or date for a surprise. 

14 minutes ago, ahoyimzoe said:

I tried to gift a game to my friend in the UK on Steam. Despite the game being on sale in both regions - and when currency was converted, the exact same sale price - I wasn't allowed to gift it to him. I had to create an account and have him as a friend to gift him a game, and to add him to my list of friends I had to top up my wallet. So I topped up whatever it was gonna cost, added him as a friend, added it to my cart, and only  THEN was I told we couldn't gift as our currencies were different. Whack, as my US friends had gifted him games before.

Thankfully I got my wallet money back (*cough* Sony pls *cough*) but it was a hassle. I couldn't even change my region to the UK - despite being a British Citizen and having an address I could use. I imagine the different region would be an issue for Sony too. I ended up sending him the money via Paypal and he got it, but bleh, still frustrating.

But even the feature of being able to buy credit and send them, idk, $10 worth of PSN credit would be awesome! That way they could pick the game they wanted but it'd still show up at a certain time or date for a surprise. 

You can do that already, just buy a $10 PSN card and send the code to them :P

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, madbuk said:

You can do that already, just buy a $10 PSN card and send the code to them :P

....omg tru HAHAHAHA - I meant like, on the store itself digitally! Like sending an email gift-card or the credit showing up in their wallet. I suppose that way works too haha!

I remember thinking about them adding this feature a long time ago. It would be nice if they did include it. I always thought of it like buying the game and then it sends whoever the code for it which I assume is what the Steam Voucher Key is like and then they download it that way. Like others have said though, the biggest issue would come from regional restrictions most likely. The only way I can kind of think of a way to counter it is if whoever gifts it buys the game again (assuming they already it bought it before) and then gives the code to whoever is receiving the gift, so if you gift a game you're buying it twice if you already own it.

Wow, thanks for your opinions, guys!

I found out yesterday, after creating the topic, that there was something called the Playstation Blog Share, where users can suggest ideas and improvements for PS consoles and services. People can submit ideas to the PS Team so they can see what they can do for the next updates, even though it is not guaranteed that they will do it, since the idea is to share ideas that can be voted by other users. It seems that some of the ideas were really implemented, as you can see at the top Shares. 

It seems the idea to gift games trough PS Store was created, and it is on the second page of popular ideas with 4000 ~ 5000 votes. 

I believe that Playstation might introduce this someday, maybe later. I don't understand why they haven't implemented yet. Marketing purposes? Some strategy they are thinking? Lack of time by the developers and too many things to do?

The least we can do for now is vote the gift idea at the Blog Share and cross our fingers. ?