What are we Trophy Hunters Trying to Prove?

linkdevivo

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:19 PM, Thropy_Hore said:

im just trynna prove i have a superior leaderbored ranking than other ppl tbh

Same here tbh.

Also, did you know? Studies have shown that there is a positive correlation between high leader board ranking and increase in wealth, health (mental and physical, even spiritual), and overall happiness. Some recipients of the study who had higher leader board rankings than their peers  were shown to have an increase in aptitude when dealing with the opposite sex.

Edited by Super Sand Virginia
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 4:37 AM, linkdevivo said:

I remember when I bought games solely on the fact that they had an easy, short platinum (stupid games like my name is mayo and the like). We've all done it. 

Erm. While, yes, I will refuse to buy games if they don't have platinums at all, I don't think I've ever bought a garbage game. The closest I've come is finishing Color Guardians, and that was on PS+. Some of us don't want to taint our platinum lists with shitty games.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:37 AM, linkdevivo said:

What i'm saying is that we shouldn't be trying to prove that getting more platinums makes us better gamers. I'm done with grinding games I don't enjoy just because they have easy trophies

I mean, first of all, I highly doubt many people use platinums as a metric of how good they are at games. I've maybe seen a half-handful of people who used their trophy counts as a metric of worth, and they were obvious tryhards. I like platinums, sure, but I don't pretend that platinums in and of themselves are any sort of indication of skill. Platinuming hard games, like, say, Trackmania? Yeah. That's a metric of skill. But I collect platinums as a meta reward system to keep me motivated for games. (Also, money.)

Also, if you're grinding easy trophies, isn't that specifically contradicting any possible claim one might have to being a 'better gamer'? If this was ever your mindset, clearly you have odd standards of achievement.

Lately I've been moving more towards rarer and harder trophies/plats which I feel does make me a better gamer as I have to be good at the game and master it which I like and it feels much more rewarding especially if it's ultra rare or less than 1%. It's also very nice to see on a trophy list; I just don't get trophy whores and trophy whore games like what is the point? Anyone can buy my name is mayo and spend half an hour tapping a button and it isn't even a good game. I think as the magic of the trophy popping and the ping going down over the years has altered my view so I'm more incentivised to play fun games or more tougher games that test your perseverance and commitment rather than getting as many trophies as possible. I aim to get series done as well; I think making fun challenges that develop you a bit more is a good thing compared to maximising your platinum count. It is weird how much control trophies really have on us trophy hunters but as there are so many games and since we have played so many you do end up needing a reason to continue to play games and that's what the trophy is for.

• Like 1

everything to myself
and nothing to nobody else

look at trophy hunting like hip hop music. there is many different kinds but its still titled under one category of hunters instead of different categories. you have some people that just try to have a full 100% profile, some people who game for fun but try to get 100% if they can, some people who try to get as many plats as they can even if they hate the game, some that only play easy games, the list is endless. 

Edited by melodicmizery

• 1 year later...

For some people it very well may be about proving how good they are at certain games, say those with a very high ultra rare trophy count on this site, but at the end of the day you should play the games that you thoroughly enjoy..ones that you’re actually getting something out of. For me personally, nowadays I do play more games for trophies than I do for fun but that’s just how it’s happened for me over the years. Trying to break that mentality.

I do take some pride in my records for fastest 100% for some games, but it’s not like I’m getting a freaking medal for those accomplishments ? and I only ever speedrun games I absolutely love...but that’s my point: no one cares but me. I will say it is cool seeing how many plats and ultra rare trophies the top people have, but it’s nothing to gawk about. Everyone is good at something, and everyone should take pride in their own achievements as trophy hunters/casual gamers. 

Consensus: the only person who will truly care about your accomplishments at the end of the day is you. 

Edited by HoorayForTyler

Games are cool and trophies are fun to hunt. Personal satisfaction and achievement keep me going. Let the hunt continue whether trophies are easy, short, hard, stackable, cross-buy, fast, long, doesn't matter. We gather here together for a common purpose (i.e., trophies, games, PlayStation, community, and all things gaming). Keep that the focus and stay positive.

What are you all talking about!!

By getting more trophies, you will eventually find true hapiness, the real purpose we've existed in this desolate planet, and the secrets of this universe finally being layed bare before us, attaining ultimate strength and true enlightenment...

Don't you dare try telling me It has all been for nothing, ??

Edited by hsn963
  • Like 1

Being a trophy hunter is what makes me still play video games. I can't imagine myself playing video games without trophies anymore. And I'm not trying to prove anything, but to just go with the flow. Well, as Ellie once said, "After all this time... Everything we've been through... It can't be for nothing."

• 2 years later...

Nothing, I guess, it's just a personal choice of expanding the way you enjoy your games. Some people like to rate their movies or series after they watch them, some people don't. Some people enjoy making playlists, others don't. For me, it's more of a virtual shelf where I have my games and my accomplishments.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 1

I don't need to prove anything. I just like completing games, and trophies are a part of that on a Sony system. I complete games on other platforms too. I had a few laughs with the 1 dollar easy platinums, but I quickly decided that they are dumb and it isn't even satisfying to get the platinum. I play easy games and hard games. Most importantly, I play the games I like. 

On 18/02/2018 at 2:37 PM, linkdevivo said:

I'm by no means saying this is YOUR opinion or experience, only mine. Pretty sure there are people like me out there, though.

I remember when I bought games solely on the fact that they had an easy, short platinum (stupid games like my name is mayo and the like). We've all done it. I purposefully never played games with long time to platinum because trophies were all that mattered to me (I missed out on so many good games). But when i crossed 100 plats, and the number didn't magically make me a better gamer, I started caring less about those bad easy games. I still love trophies but now I get platinums not depending on completion time, I instead do it with GREAT games, no matter if it takes me beyond 100 hours. For example, I purposefully didn't buy Persona 5 because i read on a guide that the platinum was 120+ hours. It was on sale last month and I decided to give it a try: THIS 120 HOUR platinum gave me more joy and  pride than almost all of my previous trophies and it's probably the longest i've ever spent on a game.

What i'm saying is that we shouldn't be trying to prove that getting more platinums makes us better gamers. I'm done with grinding games I don't enjoy just because they have easy trophies, I now understand that it's better to have LESS "easy, boring" platinums because at the end of the day we'll remember the persona 5's, not the Hannah Montanas or the Green Lanterns. Here's to platinums you enjoy and are proud of, instead of a stupid number to boost our own gamer ego.

Thank god someone else gets the point.

The reason you got so much joy and pride from platting persona is that you actually had to play it and invest time into it with the recent amount of shovelware being released recently the is a bit of a disappointment really.

I do still buy "easy" plats occasionally but only for shmup type games as apart from rpgs they are my second favourite genre of game.

• Like 1

Nothing, really. Before trophies/achievements were a thing, I already attempted to get the most out of a game and complete it, clear all side quests, beat all bosses, get all endings, you name it. Trophies were just the next step and now they show on my account. Well, if there's anything, it'd be for me to know that I'm done with a game or to keep track of my progress. I don't care about leaderboards that much (still trying, but ...), I know I don't play the right games to make it to the top, so wherever I end up is fine. I also don't have enough time for that and don't want to spend that much money on games just for some fast trophies (not anymore, at least, still have some of these games on my to do list and will finish them someday).

tl;dr: I'm a completionist.

Edited by viech54
  • Like 1