Personal Status Updates

10 minutes ago, Rach said:

I have a feeling that may be the case, but if Sly could look into it and maybe feed back to the forum software developers, it would be a positive start.

Ipboards cares little for its customers. If you read the threads on their support site it becomes apparent you get the "you get what you get" attitude(just in a nice way). They're selling a template with easy edit functions. If there isn't a function you have to edit the template by hand. Which takes a lot lot longer and a high skill level. 

I still want webm support to start getting away from gif. But ipboards including psnprofiles does not support it natively.

But it can be done. Just a lot of work  

You're probably referring to me. I'll admit I did go crazy with the status updates this morning. I had no idea I was creating such a nuisance for everyone else. I could of sworn they were like personal little messages just for people's walls. After taking a good look at "All Activity" for the first time, I now have a better understanding how it works. Everyone, my apologies. I'll choose my status posts more carefully from now on ):

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ShonenCat said:

You're probably referring to me. I'll admit I did go crazy with the status updates this morning. I had no idea I was creating such a nuisance for everyone else. I could of sworn they were like personal little messages just for people's walls. After taking a good look at "All Activity" for the first time, I now have a better understanding how it works. Everyone, my apologies. I'll choose my status posts more carefully from now on ):

If it was just one day with one member, I would have never brought it up. If i was triggered that easily, I would have made this thread long ago. However, yes, you were just the latest example of a long line of those who have done it, intentionally or not.

1 hour ago, Jibril said:

You can't farm reputation from PM's.

Another example why status reputations were a bad idea :/

1 hour ago, Rach said:

The other thought that I had would be to remove likes and reputation points from statuses altogether. I imagine my opinion there would not be a popular one though.

I'm pretty supportive of this. 

Even though it's not that bad now that like leaderboard is down-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I don't see the correlation. 

52 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

What does the fact that the site caters to trophy hunters have to do with trading reputation points?

50 minutes ago, Jibril said:

Can you explain this to me?

It's also some sort of digital collection that releases dopamine in our brains. it's just a theory  but I think trophy hunters are just more prone to this addiction than gamers that don't care about trophies. But on the other hand, now that I think about it. Trophy hunting is probably just a consequence of this day and age where almost everyone has IAD.

Edited by HellcoreFire
Grammatical error.

Man I guess I am a suspect as well.I'm guilty of having some fun since its a feature. :dunno:I don't spam p2p status updates.I do post images on friends status updates mostly to congratulate them on trophies or platinum mostly.If I'm scrolling activities and see others posting funny images on statuses I join in but never spamming the hell out of it.I think alot of people do the same on here as they do on Facebook.It wouldn't bother me one bit if Sly got rid of these features.This is the internet but I also have more important things to worry about in the real world then people complaining about spamming status updates.

• Like 1

Only time I use it if I do wish to announce something I did in a game to everyone, but perhaps also let someone in particular also know, then I might.  But usually I would not do so, granted, I would tag someone in a status reply if I am talking to them while there's multiple replies at once between the last time I replied to now sort of thing.

But I agree, tagging a bunch of people with a stupid gif or whichever is stupid... which is why I've just turned off tagging notifications myself.  Don't want to be tagged in something completely pointless... unless it's to do with something specific (like a game I'm playing and someone else has started a thread about same said game).  Not like that other thread that shall not be named... but had like 800 replies of pointlessness, where I was tagged in for no reason, asking about Bloodborne among garbage.  Funny thing is, I did not fall for such a thing and just looked at it, shrugged and continued to do what I was doing without replying.

21 hours ago, Phil said:

Well, what it does is push out people asking the community questions.

Do not know about you, but the first thing I am doing when I am coming at PSNP is to check ALL status updates. (Well, actually the third thing. Of course I am checking notifications before...)

Activity > My Activity Streams > Status

Why? Well, I am a caring person. I DO care about what other people have to say. ...It results often into a disadvantage for me (why does every female believe you would want something from them, just because you are lending them an ear? Oo), but, yeah...

21 hours ago, Jibril said:

You can't farm reputation from PM's.

There are some couples of people here that upvote each other for basically everything they say. I do not understand why they are doing it, but I also do not understand why it would be a problem. Who cares about REP anyway? The Forum Games section is ruining the whole concept (ratio between posts and REP) anyway, because posts in Forum Games do not count. (so why are statuses a problem?) And even when... Forum Games is the Free-REP section, right? *shrugs*

Guys? GUYS! Look! I got a new :platinum: !!

facebook_like_bomber_by_wormchow-d8a8pgc

21 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Yes, I'm a little annoyed by it, but I think people expect me to be annoyed by everything at this point.

You are always annoyed... damon-chan. :3 <3 

• Like 2

I don't think commenting on someone's profile should be removed altogether. I mean yeah, most of them could probably be done through PM's, but making it public gives others the opportunity to leave their thoughts on it too. It's only a select few people who are actually "abusing" the feature. Yeah, it can get a little annoying, especially when it's done to a number of people in a row, but I think it would be better to talk to these people instead, warning them that what they're doing is considered spam and could get them a WP if they continue. Removing profile comments from the 'Recent Status Updates' section like it was on the old site would be welcome.

I actually like the addition of reputation points to status updates. I'll often come across a status update or a comment that I enjoy or agree with, but don't feel the need to comment myself, so I'll just 'like' it instead. It's already been mentioned, but there are far easier ways to "farm" reputation points on the site if you're into that, such as with the forum games and what not. Now that the 'like' leaderboard has been removed, I imagine that kind of stuff doesn't happen as often.

• Like 1

IMHO, I dont mind the Status update, but maybe have a system not allowed to create a new status update say 30mins... or 1hr.. or couple hrs.

• 1 year later...

I also had a thread asking to block people from showing up on status updates, since there was one very annoying person spamming "^-^" all the time (that person is now permanently gone now) and after the forum updates, I asked somewhere to have profile post updates to be removed from the recent section as I don't believe it should be there, but unsurprisingly that was ignored.

Edited by Stevieboy

I think the issue is that this is a forum template so these design decisions can't be changed.

Spamming is frowned upon, so it seems like we should just inform offending users that their actions are unwanted/moderators give warning points if they decide to continue. 

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, I agree with this suggestion. Spam like this is pretty annoying if you just quickly want to check out the status updates.

There were a few more:

Spoiler

Osfi9Jv.jpg

1 hour ago, Kittet3 said:

I think the issue is that this is a forum template so these design decisions can't be changed.

Spamming is frowned upon, so it seems like we should just inform offending users that their actions are unwanted/moderators give warning points if they decide to continue. 

I figured there was a chance it couldn't be implemented due to this being a template, but asked just in case it was possible.

Edited by Stevieboy

What about the ppl that enjoy status updates and like to talk to new ppl and engage in conversation?
Jeeez why does everything has to be an issue these days? If you don't like it ignore it. If you don't like a certain user, block it and If some1 is doing something unethical like spamming the report button exists for a reson.

Edit: There i agree with this.That is a good suggestion and it won't punish the social butterflies  :giggle:

10 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

When posting multiple replies in a row in the same thread within ~10-15 minutes, they're merged into 1 post to prevent spam. Would it be possible to implement this for status updates too?

Edited by BG_painter
  • Like 1

Honestly, a lot of the forum games posts are just as bad. You see it's the same people doing them, and they give each other reputation almost every time. It's especially noticeable when only these few people get reputation, often multiple, in a long thread where few else gets them, and they are giving it to each other.

When you read the thread, you'll be like, "huh, people liked that post?", when almost every other post is more likable and they don't get any likes. This is confusing, and to me most of the forum games seems like total spam.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Honestly, a lot of the forum games posts are just as bad. You see it's the same people doing them, and they give each other reputation almost every time. It's especially noticeable when only these few people get reputation, often multiple, in a long thread, and they are giving it to each other.

When you read the thread, you'll be like, "huh, people liked that post?", when almost every other post is more likable and they don't get any likes. This is confusing, and to me most of the forum games seems like total spam.

I kinda undestand what u feel but, i think it's an okay price to pay for having freedom in this forum. Too many restrictions and censorship are as bad. The balance needs to be somewhere in between...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BG_painter said:

What about the ppl that enjoy status updates and like to talk to new ppl and engage in conversation?
Jeeez why does everything has to be an issue these days? If you don't like it ignore it. If you don't like a certain user, block it and If some1 is doing something unethical like spamming the

I agree on that as well and I actually dont mind seeing one person saying something to like 5 people and claiming recent status updates all for himself. But there's a big difference in talking to multiple people in status posts or posting "FIDDLE DIDDLE GIZZLE doodling doo blabla bullshit" with a spastic shit avavar.

I'm sure this was all posted because multiple persons here got frustrated by that person yesterday.

• Like 2