Do you like Jim Sterling?

Wavergray

Do you Like Jim Sterling  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Like Jim Sterling

I have soured on him recently, he's far too negative for my liking. I will still watch his Jimquisition's if he covers an interesting topic. 

Though I would take Jim Sterling over that YongYea twat any day of the week. No idea why people watch him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Venocide said:

Though I would take Jim Sterling over that YongYea twat any day of the week. No idea why people watch him. 

I mean, his ideas are good, but he just makes way too many videos on the same subject and those videos are way longer than they need to be. Not to mention he always ends up reiterating a lot of the same points. He also always makes long primers on every single video, which doesn't help the length issue.

Also, every single one of his videos has like, 4 ads from beginning to end which makes listening to them as a podcast a major pain. I used to listen to him, but I have since decided that I'm good with just Jim Sterling.

I really don't get the appeal of these YouTube "personalities" at all. It's just seems like an act to boost subs and views to me.

Maybe I'm just old-school, but I'd rather read about something than watch a human puppet show,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Good heavens old chum, this is a positively spiffing rationale. Point 3 is the most valuable out of the entire list because it asks you to refer to point 1 & 2.

I'm British, so I'll put my cup of tea down, turn off the BBC news and cease my dilly dallying what what. I'll help you out and provide you with some education on spelling and grammar with these incredibly British corrections based on the English of our Queen:

1: He is British.

2: He is fat.

3: Please be a jolly good chap and refer to examples 1 and 2.

Point 1 may actually be incorrect in the next few weeks. It all depends on how his citizenship works and the changes being brought about by Brexit. He might actually be a citizen of the US as he lives over there when all is said and done. So you might need to change point 1 to 'He is American' soon.

Or I could switch this up and speak in East End Cockney Rhyming slang, if that's easier to understand.

What a load of pony and trap that reply was. I was 'alf way up the apples and pears  (y'know on account of me plates of meat givin' me gip recently) when i read it on me bleedin' dog and bone. And would you adam and eve it? there it was and it didn't make eighteen pence.

Let me guess

youre gonna tell me racism is bad too

its the internet

its suppossed to offend you

but in all honesty

i did reply with a more appealing and politically correct response afterwards

good grief people

its 2019

Get your pannies out of a bunch

everybodies overly dramatic and sensitive these days

people are banning rudolph the red nosed reindeer because they say its about bullying

we cant even say the pledge of allegiance because it has the word god in it

this is our society

lmfao

Edited by Property_Damage

6 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Let me guess

its the internet

but in all honesty

good grief people

its 2019

people are banning rudolph the red nosed reindeer because they say its about bullying

this is our society

lmfao

BOTTOM TEXT

21 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Let me guess

its the internet

but in all honesty

good grief people

its 2019

this is our society

lmfao

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Sofa King said:

I really don't get the appeal of these YouTube "personalities" at all. It's just seems like an act to boost subs and views to me.

Maybe I'm just old-school, but I'd rather read about something than watch a human puppet show,

This is exactly what I think.

It's all an entertainment act, which is fine. More power to these people. I believe in freedom of speech and all that. But I am never going to be interested in watching these "creators" or "influencers" or whatever they're calling themselves now.

I've always preferred text reviews to video ones (although I do find video reviews of video games useful for showing some gameplay), so add an annoying persona on top of that and it's definitely not for me.

6 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Good heavens old chum, this is a positively spiffing rationale. Point 3 is the most valuable out of the entire list because it asks you to refer to point 1 & 2.

I'm British, so I'll put my cup of tea down, turn off the BBC news and cease my dilly dallying what what. I'll help you out and provide you with some education on spelling and grammar with these incredibly British corrections based on the English of our Queen:

1: He is British.

2: He is fat.

3: Please be a jolly good chap and refer to examples 1 and 2.

Point 1 may actually be incorrect in the next few weeks. It all depends on how his citizenship works and the changes being brought about by Brexit. He might actually be a citizen of the US as he lives over there when all is said and done. So you might need to change point 1 to 'He is American' soon.

Or I could switch this up and speak in East End Cockney Rhyming slang, if that's easier to understand.

What a load of pony and trap that reply was. I was 'alf way up the apples and pears  (y'know on account of me plates of meat givin' me gip recently) when i read it on me bleedin' dog and bone. And would you adam and eve it? there it was and it didn't make eighteen pence.

I hope you're not telling me everyone in Britain doesn't talk like characters in the British comedies I watch, old bean!

I'm actually surprised that as a Brit, you did not take exception to those of us in "the Colonies" referring to our country as an entire continent.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sofa King said:

I used to like reading reviews, but I feel like the written reviews have become a bit...flaccid. 

I remember when DW9 came out. Ignoring the moron who gave the game 100%, most reviews said things like, "Well, they tried new things, but not all of it works." Jimbo, however, said, "This game sucks." At the time, I thought that maybe it was just personality and hyperbole, but no - that game really, REALLY sucked. 

Online written reviews (like those at IGN, or Destructoid, etc.) tend to want to be "fair and balanced". That's fine, but at times, they fall too over themselves not to look "biased".

45 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Let me guess

its the internet

but in all honesty

good grief people

its 2019

this is our society

lmfao

<sniffle>

Edited by starcrunch061

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2018 at 0:30 AM, Asvinia said:

No. I thought he was alright up until his Guild Wars 2 mount licenses video. He only made a video about that because people begged him to, he openly said he hadn't played the game and didn't understand what was going on. But that 'he'd been told' and he 'had an idea' of what was going on, and then proceeded to spout a ton of misleading and outright wrong information.

I don't entirely think his stuck-up attitude is 100% fake and I think his self-righteousness is completely real, but his job could be said to be an important one. Although sadly, where TB would call out a game, the devs, and say what was wrong or would need improvement, JS just shits on everything and cries about lootboxes while he compares everything to Dark Souls.

Old but 100% agree. He's a stuck up ass who just shits on everything, I can't take him seriously at all because the criticism is just him saying its trash rather than explaining why.

Big fan of Jim Sterling, have been for years. In recent months though not so keen on some of his views, he needs to take a bit of a break as he seems to hate almost everything, also wish he would leave Politics out of his work.

Need some more Du El 'ardcore videos.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:00 AM, jrdemr said:

I mean, his ideas are good, but he just makes way too many videos on the same subject and those videos are way longer than they need to be. Not to mention he always ends up reiterating a lot of the same points. He also always makes long primers on every single video, which doesn't help the length issue.

Also, every single one of his videos has like, 4 ads from beginning to end which makes listening to them as a podcast a major pain. I used to listen to him, but I have since decided that I'm good with just Jim Sterling.

You forgot that like half of those videos are literally just him reading an article with no real input from himself. I don't mind his videos where you puts things together from different sources (though knowing that he does just read through articles, he probably finds a commenter somewhere that compiled everything he uses in his videos too).

And sometimes he'll just pull a b/s move, like on one of his Anthem videos. He highlighted a comment on Reddit from Bioware/EA, which detailed patchnotes and instead of reading it verbatim, he flat out misrepresented what it said. So if someone, like yourself, were simply listening they'd never know he was spinning a "fixes various issues causing crashes" comment into "promised the patch would fix the problem."

Plus never following up on Spyro Collection after his b/s misleading video saying it was delayed to be put on disc, based on literally nothing. It was entirely conjecture and he never corrected the record.

He's more annoying the more I think about him.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Yes. I don't really agree with him a lot when he slips into political talk, but luckily he doesn't very often.

As someone keeping the public's eye on the cesspool that is the gaming inductry, he's one of the best.

I don't agree with his videos being to repetitive or too long. Most of them contain words that need to be said, and continued to be said. The industry would love nothing more for all the people with the attention span of a gold fish to forget all the shit that goes on, but Jim won't let them.

If you think he repeats too much, it's only because the industry isn't changing its shitty practises. We as gamers all contribute to that (if it's not profitable, they will stop), so the more often people get reminded, the better. That way ignorance will decrease, and the regular employees might eventually get a normal life without abuse and the publishers might eventually be held accountable for all their greedy loot box shit.

If we all forget, it will never change.

Edited by Ric

I really like Jim Sterling and have been a devout watcher of his content for years but in the last year I have become more at odds with him then I used to be. While I still watch the Jimquisition every week, I stopped listening to Podquisition since Gav left as I'm not keen on the other hosts and unsubscribed from his Patreon as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Jim Sterling is a 40 some year old guy who probably doesn't deserve the fame and riches he's getting.

There's literally a bunch of guys out there around his age or younger who can make content just as well. Sterling just got lucky.

That's probably true for 90%+ of famous/rich people though.