Series feature criticism

Uncharted is a good example of how stages work: https://psnprofiles.com/series/1-uncharted

They're just groups of each game, multiple stacks of the same game will go into the same stage. To get a basic series completion you'd just need to complete one game in each stage.

The concept of numbering the stages is open to change.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

Uncharted is a good example of how stages work: https://psnprofiles.com/series/1-uncharted

They're just groups of each game, multiple stacks of the same game will go into the same stage. To get a basic series completion you'd just need to complete one game in each stage.

That's good and all, but the problem I have is that only certain games are given stages and some games are ignored, lumping them all in together. The reasoning for this doesn't appear to be something that can be applied to all series equally, as far as I can tell. The Final Fantasy series is a good example of this, where 40% of the unique games in the series all fall under No Stage: https://psnprofiles.com/series/25-final-fantasy

I think it'd be better overall if every unique game was given stages no matter what. There shouldn't be a No Stage section for any series. The numbering or ordering is fine no matter what is decided.

Edited by Shadiochao

24 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

would it not make more sense to go for some kind of stack tag for them instead like they are on linked games?

nice to see it finally up and running, time to give @BlindMango some work with the 100 or so stacks I've found so far. ?

Edited by Leenewbe

1 hour ago, Sly Ripper said:

Maybe we can add a 2nd section for a single series:

- Main Series section: all Main games broken into stages

- Spinoffs (or side games?) section: All side games grouped into their own stages below the main series section

To clarify both of these sections would be contained in the same series box, not a separate series box, like Main Series would be its own Heading 1 and Spinoffs would be another Heading 1 section if you were writing a guide format lol

P.S. - As @I-SilentEcho-I pointed out, there are no doubt inconsistencies at the moment with some of the 100+ series and the system itself is not completely finished yet, but those can be adjusted easily, especially if what I recommended above can be added, because the no stage section can be a disaster the more spin offs and repeat lists there are (See Final Fantasy series lol)

Edited by BlindMango

2 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

- Spinoffs section: All side games grouped into their own stages below the main series section

I like this, would make it so much easier for people to understand there are 0 Kingdom Hearts spin-offs :awesome:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlindMango said:

- Spinoffs section: All side games grouped into their own stages below the main series section

Why is there such a desire to split them at all?

What about series that don't necessarily have main games? Or series where it's ambiguous or debatable what can be considered a main game or not. I've already seen things in the current series lists that I disagree with in that regard. 

Some franchises have even had multiple series and reboots over the years, such as Tomb Raider, and I think Sonic had three going concurrently at one point, although one wasn't on Playstation.

It's just a mess to try and make a system that needs to encorporate all these subjective and ill-defined distinctions when there's absolutely no reason for it. The only all-encompassing solution is to not play around with the stages based on these things.

Regardless of how you want to split them, the games are going to be in the series list anyway, so people can make their own choices about what's worth playing. You don't need to try and do it for them.

• Like 2

Nice to see it's finally here. I like it but I'd probably ditch the stages part of it. I'd just list them by chronological release. Leaderboards and the ability to compare profiles would be great. 

I'd also like to see a bunch of series related stats. Personal completion %, average completion %. You could even work a rank system like with the singular games. number of plats, average number of plats, unearned trophies. Completion time for completing a whole series, first achievers on completed series, fastest achievers. There are loads of cool stats that could be implemented here

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Squirlruler said:

I like the main series stages. I would be ok with putting spin offs as a Stage in between the mains, marked 1.A, or something like that, to show they were released between the main games, but are not part of the main series.

Agreed, that would be pretty nice.

I think spin-offs should be separated from main games.. E.g., regarding the Metal Gear series, Meta Gear Rising should be separated from all Metal Gear Solid games, let alone Survive which shouldn't be there considering it has nothing to do with the series.

All in all, all games should be separated from other games in the series unless they have stacks, and more important,  spin-offs should be isolated from main games.

PD: This series feature does not include all games though, Silent Hill games for example are not included. 

7 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Ok here's some criticism. I have no idea what stages are. I also have no idea what the sorting is. In some stages the games are alphabetically sorted, in other stages the games are just sorted randomly (?) I thought maybe they're sorted by release date but that wasn't the case. If I want to check a game series I wanna see every game of the series sorted by release date that's it no stages no nothing. Also I don't get this 100% obsession meme to the right, I mean seriously? Just cause I didn't buy overpriced Cod dlc, I get a no entry sign even though I've platted many of the games 26d4.png 1f602.png? So a guy who's never played Cod and myself with many Cod plats get the same ranking wtf? At least tell me I got 10/23 plats or something, only counting 100% seems crazy to me idk

Same here, I think an intermediate sign meaning the platinum without the DLCs has been earned for a game would be nice.

Also about the games ordering, I think either by release date or alphabetically would do just fine with stacks being bundled exactly like they are right now. The possibility to sort the games the way people like the more (release date, alphabet, chronology or canon/spin-off/reboot, etc.) might prevent a headache. Someone in this thread wrote about the stages being removed and I also agree with that.

Anyway, nice addition for sure which will more than likely motivate a lot of people to get every trophy from their favorite game series.

• Like 1

I'm really happy that series are finally working. I just want to adress two things:

1. Delete games from series that are impossible to complete or just make a specific section for them.

The best example is Borderlands: https://psnprofiles.com/series/24-borderlands 

Since Gearbox fucked up, like they usually do, they added a 4th DLC to the japanese stack of Borderlands while updating the last gen console versions. The problem is that the DLC simply do not exist in Japan and there is no possible way to unlock it and the trophies for it. I think if the trophies were never obtainable because someone fucked up, we should just not consider that trophy list eligible for a specific series. Of course the same does not go for trophies that were once obtainable and now are not (because of server shutdown etc.), those should obviously remain.

2. Gimmi dem leaderboards boiiii.

@BlindMango attencion tag.

Edited by harrypotter1997

6 hours ago, I-SilentEcho-I said:

Sorry this is so long and I'm sure people have worked hard on creating this whole series system but it's plain to see it's inconsistent, confusing and downright irritating. These are just some of the issues I found with it. Please fix this feature before officially unveiling it because at the moment, to me it's a complete mess.

You don't need to rant about the whole series concept just because there are a few mistakes or inconsistencies. Just point them out. Do you realise that someone (I'm guessing @BlindMango?) has to go through all of these games to categorise them?

I agree with most of what you say but this whole thread comes across as so entitled.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

Is the lack of a Dragon Age series an oversight or has it not been made yet?

8 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Check again, I may or may not have just created that :ninja: 

That was the first series I noticed not having a page when this went live. xD 

Now...how about the artifex games?
Series such as Nightmares from the Deep and Enigmatis don't have pages yet. 

^can't get just the 3 nightmares games up on one list when searching. In any case if there are series that are missing I'm sure this thread could help sort things out.

(I noticed Rock Band doesn't have a page nor are the games in the Project Platinum list for probably obvious reasons.)

Can't say I am too keen on the feature as a whole as it has all the stacks etc all built in and I have no interest in playing 5 versions of the same game, why would I?!

That being said it has made me realise how much I need to get on with playing some of the Final Fantasy series, I have 4 trophies in the whole lot!! ?

Edited by freddie1989
  • Like 1