Do you use PS+ free games?

TheHarryGamer99

8 minutes ago, JaneAusten69 said:

I would say that 95% of my Vita collection was probably from PS Plus.  I actually got a Vita so I could start playing all of the games that I already had.

I definitely don't play everything, but if it is a game I was interested in or the trophy list seems fun I do. A lot of times there are games I don't buy because I figure one game I'll get them on Plus.  For instance, Horizon Zero Dawn I imagine I will play one day when it is available on Plus, but probably wouldn't buy it otherwise.

Horizon was already given out, hope you didnt miss it.

Myself I try to play as many games they give as I can or have some interest in. Trying to get my money's worth. The storage is nice, but I dont use the online play part and really miss having games for PS3 and VITA handed out, so its getting harder to justify but at this point im kind of trapped because I dont want to lose access to the old PS+ games I have even though I can live without the 2 games per month at this point.  I dont really buy games anymore.

6 minutes ago, audiopile said:

Horizon was already given out, hope you didnt miss it.

Myself I try to play as many games they give as I can or have some interest in. Trying to get my money's worth. The storage is nice, but I dont use the online play part and really miss having games for PS3 and VITA handed out, so its getting harder to justify but at this point im kind of trapped because I dont want to lose access to the old PS+ games I have even though I can live without the 2 games per month at this point.  I dont really buy games anymore.

Oh for reals?!  When was that?

Not the end of the world or anything, but I'm pretty good about grabbing the games every month even when I'm not super interested with them.

I played a few back when. My only problem was that I like physical media, and many of the games that I got through PS+ either I already purchased or wasn't interested in. But it's a good way to try games out of one's comfort zone. What Remains of Edith Finch was a blast, and I definitely enjoyed The Surge, Overcooked, Sniper 4 and the such.

1 minute ago, JaneAusten69 said:

Oh for reals?!  When was that?

Not the end of the world or anything, but I'm pretty good about grabbing the games every month even when I'm not super interested with them.

Oh crap, never mind, I ended up buying that one. Sorry about the false alarm. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, audiopile said:

Oh crap, never mind, I ended up buying that one. Sorry about the false alarm. 

All good.  I would have just felt like an asshole, haha.

But yeah, that game and the new GOW are the type of games I probably wouldn't buy but usually end up getting through Plus and enjoying.

• Like 1

I find they're perfect time fillers for when you've finished one huge game, and are just waiting for the next huge game to come out. Even at the full price, you're getting 24 games a year at $2.50 each. So all you need is like three games that were $20, and that you would've bought otherwise, and you're coming out ahead.

And if you're already paying for PS+ for online multiplayer and PSN backups anyways...

7c9.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I really have enjoyed some of the ps plus games over the years, but often times I don't play the games until weeks, months or even years later. There are games that I know I want to play that I own because of plus but I have a huge backlog of physical games as well as digital. I feel sometimes like I have so many  games I don't want to play any, but it feels like a huge weight off my back when I determine I have finished a game, and I can delete the data from my console, or put the game back in its box and into the collection shelf

I would love to use it. The problem is anytime a game comes out I most likely already own it. It's very rare that a AAA game or a good Indie game comes out on PS+ That I don't already own. I just wish they would still be doing Vita games and PS3 Games.  

I got PS+ to play the multiplayer games, especially The Last of Us: Factions in April 2015.

But to be honest, most of the games I played are now from PS+. Just going through my collection briefly I came up with those below (maybe I got some wrong and missed some).

I enjoy the diversity, there are a lot of games in there that I would never have bought, like Journey or Disc Jam or even Mad Max and that I enjoyed very much (and platinumed).  Of course there are always games I have no interested in (like the Farming Simulator 19) or that I start but do not like (like Hitman).

There are more in my back log, didn't check this now.

I like the concept, it keeps me open minded about different types of games.

1.      Styx

2.      Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

3.      The Walking Dead 2

4.      King's Quest 1

5.      Grim Fandango Remastered

6.      Broforce

7.      Nova-111

8.      Flame Over

9.      Gone Home

10.   Table Tob Racing: World Tour

11.   Rebel Galaxy

12.   Journey

13.   Lords of the Fallen

14.   The deadly Tower of Monsters

15.   Day of the Tentacle Remastered

16.   Disc Jam

17.   Until Dawn

18.   Just Cause 3

19.   Hue

20.   Metal Gear Solid V

21.   Furi

22.   Rime

23.   Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

24.   Ratched & Clank

25.   Call of Duty: Black Ops III

26.   God of War III Remastered

27.   Claire

28.   Burly Men At Sea

29.   Super Meat Boy

30.   Iconoclasts

31.   Mad Max

32.   Hitman

33.   Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered

34.   The Witness

35.   Bulletstorm

36.   What Remains of Edith Filch

37.   Horizon Chase Turbo

38.   Wipeout Omega Collection

39.   Titanfall 2

40.   BioShock

41.   Shadow of the Colossus

42.   Detroit: Becoming Human

Edited by Captain_Bone_666
Typo
  • Like 1

I’ve downloaded loads of plus games since I’ve had it. I don’t go for them every month and obviously some months I do own a few of the titles already, but in general it’s great. There’s also a few games I add to my library on the off chance I might want to play them. Like I have whatever CoD game was on plus last year(?) just in case I wanted to try it out even though I’m normally not really into that kind of thing. It’s a risk free way of experiencing different kinds of games. I pay for the sub anyway so I may as well take the chance to experience some titles I probably wouldn’t have bought myself. Ok that subject, this months games I’m intrigued by. I’ll probably add both titles to my library just so see what they’re like, but if they weren’t on plus I’d never have bought them. 

It was actually playing Burly Men At Sea that got me into trophy hunting ? 

I think my personal favourite plus game would probably be This War of Mine: The Little Ones. I absolutely loved it.

A surprising one I wasn’t expecting to enjoy as much as I did was Conan Exiles. 100% would not have paid £40 for it but I had the best time playing it with my boyfriend.

What Remains of Edith Finch was another one I was really excited to get because I’d been wanting to try that one for a while. 

Yes, but from the 24 games they give in a year, I play like 3 to the end. If I could pause this thing, I would activate it for months with decent games. I would save a lot of money and my 1 year membership would be infinite if they keep this nonsense. But dreaming is free and garbage is $60/year.

Since I have been a PS Plus member I have "purchased" every game that has been available across all platforms, I haven't played them all but it's good for when I'm a bit bored and looking for something new. I just started playing Child of Light the other day and am really enjoying it. I have loads of PS3 games acquired though PS Plus still to go through, so going to start making use of the time stuck in the house to play them!

I usually add one to my library most months but as I have such a big back log it takes me a very long time to get to them.  I've only just started playing Steep for example which I think was offered way back in about January last year.  

Typically no, as my backlog is pretty large with games I WANT to play.  I add them to the library but they generally go to the bottom of the backlog seldom to be played.

PS4 exceptions include Rocket League, NBA 2K16, Table Top Racing, Monster Energy Supercross, Batman (Telltale), DiscJam, and Conan Exiles.  The last two especially Conan should be avoided, that one was a dreadful experience.

Others like MLB The Show 19, Mafia III, Uncharted 4, Detroit Become Human, and Life is Strange, I had bought before they were offered.

Edited by djb5f

There have been some great Plus games over the years, and historically I have played a lot of them. With the selection dropping from 6 to 2 per month, I am getting a lot less use out of the service.

While in the minority, I miss having some of the smaller, indie games in the line up. Some real gems were there, like Rocket League, Velocity, Dust, Apotheon.

In fact, just having games at or near when they launched was great.

Now, it is mostly AAA games that are buried deep in the bargain bin, and at that you are only getting a free sample to encourage you to buy the overpriced DLC. Many of these games are even available on Now, so the value is minimal at best.

So, the answer is historically yes, but currently no. In fact, I've all but stopped even adding them to my collection as I already own or have completed many of them, otherwise it's cheaper to buy the complete digital versions than it is to take the free version and buy the standalone DLC. I'd quit my sub if I didn't want online play and the cloud save feature.

Absolutely! Ps+ has helped me discover not only some well hidden gems, but also to appreciate smaller developpers and indie titles where i never would have looked twice at them before!

It has opened my view on so many types of games since i tried free titles and so just for that it has been well worth the investment, and i regularly try unknown titles you receive, cause you just never know where the next hidden gem might lie...

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 11:26 AM, colia100 said:

Absolutely! Ps+ has helped me discover not only some well hidden gems, but also to appreciate smaller developpers and indie titles where i never would have looked twice at them before!

It has opened my view on so many types of games since i tried free titles and so just for that it has been well worth the investment, and i regularly try unknown titles you receive, cause you just never know where the next hidden gem might lie...

Agreed.

• Like 2