Do you tell people you know that you trophy hunt?

charxsetsuna

A few of my family know and a couple of co-workers but I don't tell most people. Most people irl I just say I like to play video games as a hobby. Funny thing is if i ever say trophies I have to say they are kind of like Xbox achievements to explain it and then some get it ..... Trophies in the shadow of Xbox i guess lol. Even out of the people I told most have no idea what trophies are...they just think its some video game thing. I have never met a trophy hunter irl and even on twitch and such its not a big thing especially for "trophy whoring"....most that trophy hunt only play legit good games and hunt trophies in them. I can get behind this though as well we all know the $#%@ show that all these fast plats and stacks have become.... but lets not get into that here. Most gamers don't care about trophies at all though more care only about the game itself.

• Like 1

I gave up on telling people after my ex-gf said I wasn't doing it right... I was trophy hunting Hotline Miami and had to get A+ on all chapters but since I didn't have to get an "S" rank on everything she said I wasn't actually completing everything. I said, no you don't have to complete "everything" you just have to complete the developers' checklist, basically. She said that I shouldn't have been rewarded for not doing it perfectly.

I did say she's my ex, right?

So, no. I don't tell people.

• Like 2

I can't recall talking to IRL friends specifically about trophy hunting; they just know I play video games in my spare time.  Some PSN friends know that I tend to buy games one at a time in the hopes of getting a platinum.  I've passively gotten some shit about that habit and only occasionally do I give two shits about their reactions.  In return, I tend to mute them in party chat when they start losing their shit over Call of Duty or *Stewie voice* whatever the devil it is that these young people play.

• Like 1

When I was in school some friends noticed that my platinum count was rising fast, and they knew about it. Sometimes they would even challenge me to platinum a game in x days or lend me something to 100%. Also I sometimes say that I am doing extra things in a game when someone invites my to online play and I refuse, but no one cares about this hobby of mine. 

22 hours ago, Zarakai1989 said:

Wow sounds like you have some very toxic immature people in your life. I can't fathom a reason why people would get negative about something like this, it's not hurting anybody. 

Not worrying about what others think is the best way to go. I don't know why people care what others think and why people get upset over such trivial things.

I try to 100% as many games as I can as I like to get my money's worth from what I buy. As for what people think of me, yeah my uncle thinks it's weird but i think it's more weird to just buy a game and only play it for 5 minutes like one of my friends does and has a massively incomplete profile.

Many people can complete a game but obtaining platinum or 100% is a different ball game with the exception of games ported by @RatalaikaGames but you get my point.

Edited by Brettyboy888

19 minutes ago, Dark Prince said:

Yeah. They think it's cool but they also never bother to start trophy hunting themselves.

Same! I only “managed” to get one person into trophy hunting and I don’t know if I should feel about it or not. He was mentally drained from Nioh. ? Also most people think its cool, they either don’t try it at all OR they try going for trophies but end up quit hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind telling anyone I trophy hunt to be honest. In the fortunate position of having quite a few friends and work colleagues who game, though mostly casual. Still, they take an interest.

Also helps that I converted my girlfriend from a casual gamer to a trophy hunter as well! 

• Like 2

Well, at least trophy hunting is much easier to explain than, let’s say, if you are a full MMO player, that you have every seal on Destiny or every achievement in World of Warcraft. In the end, everyone has their own method to kill time.

On the topic, back on PS3 I had a lot of real life friends and family added (and I still do), I started trophy hunting on CoD and some of them were eager to complete every special operation for example... But I myself ended up over the years with a lot of platinums, since I liked to play more than just FIFA.. and most of them noticed my numbers, so in the end, I didn’t even have to say it, they knew.

I have a certain reputation now, but its not “weird” per se, they just know I like to play a variety of games and usually complete them. Most of them they just play the usual online stuff, but I have a few friends that like to play other games, and I usually share some of my platinums with them, sending a pic or something.

Edited by BlackTorito

Most of my friends play games whether it has trophies/achievements. Those who care about trophies are not using PSN, I have told them about it but they don't see a need to upload their stats here so they either have their own spreadsheets or just use the console's trophy profile.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't necessarily talk about "earning trophies", in that I don't mention the word "trophy". However, my non-PS gamer friends (they mostly play LoL and other such things...) know that I always get 100% in all games I play, that's the closest thing they know about what "trophy hunting" means to me. 

Friends that play on the PS themselves know that I aim at getting all trophies in my games. But I don't know anyone in real life that hunts trophies. 

Non-gamer friends and family.. well, gaming doesn't come up as a topic all that often ?

Edited by Arcesius

• 2 years later...

I tell folk but I'm now old enough and wise enough to not care what people think about my hobbies without coming across as teenage angst or passive aggressiveness. I also hold the opinion that people who slate other people's hobbies are, generally speaking, lacking in general intelligence, so ripping it out of them isn't a difficulty if I need to. 

Most folk I speak to about it are interested in it. My wife tells folk and highlights it as something interesting I get up to in my spare time. 

• 7 months later...