Do you tell people you know that you trophy hunt?

charxsetsuna

Well, I do not say, although it is hard not to notice the amount of platinum, which, unfortunately, are the victim of mockery by people who play either Fortnite or FIFA , which thus fall victims of mockery of my autorship, that they can not afford to play anything other than free games. I don't mind playing for plats (I do it myself xD ) although I am hostile to mock this way of playing on PlayStation.

Edited by Baranov_925

3 hours ago, charxsetsuna said:

I never used to but when someone sees you using two controllers at the same time to do a multiplayer trophy then theres no way out of explaining what your doing.

Haha, busted.

I have mentioned it to a few mates and they didn't know what  platinum was even though they have been playing PS for years.

Now they have also joined the hunt.

35 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

No way. I have no equals as friends or co-workers.

I can talk games with a few people but if I mention that I 100% the trophies in that game the atmosphere becomes negative instantly.

Wow sounds like you have some very toxic immature people in your life. I can't fathom a reason why people would get negative about something like this, it's not hurting anybody. 

42 minutes ago, Brettyboy888 said:

I assume you mean people in the real world and the answer is yes but them same people are trophy hunters but I wouldn’t give a toss what others think still either way.

Not worrying about what others think is the best way to go. I don't know why people care what others think and why people get upset over such trivial things.

I try to 100% as many games as I can as I like to get my money's worth from what I buy. As for what people think of me, yeah my uncle thinks it's weird but i think it's more weird to just buy a game and only play it for 5 minutes like one of my friends does and has a massively incomplete profile.

• Like 1

Not really. I don't even think of it as hunting trophies. I just play games that look interesting and that usually leads to me completing them, which is what I did long before trophies were a thing.

Plus, it's just a hobby. I talk about it as much as any other hobby in my life, like drawing or sports.

• Like 2

My friends and family know.  My family mainly think it is a 100% completion thing that I have for games, but my brother and brother-in-law know how much more work that has to go into trophy hunting.

I met most of my friends through trophy hunting.  I was adding friends on the friend megathread over on IGN and met a guy I've now known for over three years.  He introduced me to his friends and we are all a huge friend group now.  In total there are probably a dozen of my friends that are aware of my trophy hunting and a few of them have taken to trophy hunting as well.

In general: no. I do tell md friends i play a lot of videogames but only 2 which in detail. I explained to one of those two about trophies and that i play videogames in a manner to get as many trophies as possible.

I did talk about trophies/trophy hunting to one colleague from work who plays games on ps4 too and has some :platinum: as well about my wish to get as many trophies as possible.

Edited by Evil_Joker88

I used to, but most people I meet aren't even gamers so they wouldn't know what trophies even are. As for fellow gamers, yes I boast about! Most don't care about trophies and think I'm odd, and I've had one colleague who only plays fifa on his ps4 say "what's a platinum trophy?". My ex boyfriend who also played the PS4 quite a lot had no clue about trophies....

I do know a few friends who also do trophy hunting so we definitely talk about it. Unfortunately people do move away from trophy hunting due to various reasons so the circle is getting smaller....

I have another group of gaming friends who mostly play WOW and it is useless to explain this to them as they are like the opposite gaming style of trophy hunting.

There was a colleague of mine to whom i used to introduce a bit the trophy hunting because her son is into gaming and she wants to understand :) 

My friends know about this habit of mine. They don't really understand but I tell them that I can totally understand if they think that trophy hunting is crazy. It is indeed. But there is no turning back for me anymore. Also I try to compare it with other hobbies or activities that are extreme, like climbing, olympics or so... It helps them understanding this but otherwise I think they don't really care about that much anyway. I know many other people who spend their weekends in bar's and drinking all the time. I think my hobby is better than this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SupakGaming said:

My dad is really supportive though, for some reason lol. He bought me a small chocolate cake with the numbers 100. (I recently got my 100th) I had been talking about it quite a lot, what would be my 100th.

When things get (more or less) back to normal and we are allowed to go about our lives again, take your dad to the pub and buy him a drink. :)

Some of my friends know that I'm a gamer, but only a few of them are likely even aware of what gaming trophies/achievements are.  I don't generally mention that I play for them unless they bring the subject up themselves.

Edited by StewartBros

Have met a ton of people over the last 10 years due to school then jobs, and surprisingly a ton of gamers, but if someone were to tell me that the world of trophy hunters congregate on this site and .org but are rare finds out in the real world, I would probably believe it. I don’t know where you guys are hiding, and the closest thing I’ve ever seen to somebody representing a trophy hunter IRL is a guy who had a thing for Xbox achievements, but that’s about it. Any people with any type of trophy count other than that one platinum they accidentally got when a Telltale game was free on Plus has been from adding people from .org when I boosting the occasional online trophy.

As such, it doesn’t come up in conversations much, and if it does come up, it receives a resounding “uhh, why?” It’s not unusual for people to grossly over estimate how much time I spend on trophies based off a platinum count on my profile that is just unreal to them, when they spend upwards to thousands of hours playing Madden or COD online in a single year which rarely have any trophies tied to their most played modes, so they don’t have anything to go off of when PSN tends to track my gaming habits than them. 

As with any hobbies — you do you, no reason to be ashamed of anything you are passionate about. Just when it comes talking about said things, I remember a guy I used to work with that training to be a car mechanic and saw the sportier car I drove, as he had me pop the hood and surgically dissect the engine components as he talked to me as if I had the knowledge to be working a major Pit Crew, when I was always pretty open about having enough knowledge about cars to be able to read my dash that explicitly tells me when my car’s maintenance was due. Of course the one way conversation went on, I just smiled and nodded my head until he was done. Trophies are not all that technical, but explaining to somebody the art of placing a piece of tape in the middle of the screen to line up the baseball in that awful boss fight during the Batting Cage mini game in Yakuza 3 because I’m gunning for the elusive Mini Game Master trophy is really only a conversation I expect somebody familiar with the Dark Arts to relate to. To everyone else it’s just a “ok, why?”

• Like 2

A couple of my friends know and they don't really give much thought about it. They play games regularly but couldn't care less about trophies for themselves. Although, they do help me boost trophies sometimes because they know its a regular hobby of mine. My older and younger brothers know I trophy hunt as well. They don't trophy hunt themselves, but they sometimes take interest in the difficult trophies that I attempt. Just recently they've been attentively watching me attempt to beat Outlast 2 on Insane difficulty without using a battery.

• Like 1