PlayStation 5 Showcase | Discussion and Information

Sword

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

So this is just an event for showing off games coming out in the launch window? That's cool and all, but I would like to see the UI and that side of things too. I guess there's not much hope of them talking about backwards compatibility here either.

Yeah, I was hoping for Sony to show the UI and the features of the PS5 too. I mean, it doesn't mean they can't do it at this event. 

I honestly don't need to see any more games for now. I just want to see the UI and most importantly the price and when pre orders go live. Personally feel Sony has shown us enough in terms of games for the launch window. Wish they would start answering the other questions that we have had like BC and if there any changes to trophies etc

It'll be probably on the same level (500$), but I'm quietly hoping they will go for the bold move and drop to 449$ just to show they don't play around.

Still, any people cheering up about the price of Series S are forgetting about the RAM and that's the thing developers worry about. 8GBs of Series S can really bottleneck the WHOLE generation, because Series X will have to be scalable. If the shown technique of memory cache, similar to what the Guerilla Games did with Horizon: Zero Dawn (loading only necessary textures) won't suffice (and that is possible because even I/O and SSD won't overdo the slow memory) that will damage the industry pretty badly, because even the next-gen engines won't be so scalable to cover up such a huge loss/increase of detail, like, the whole design won't stick up.

That's where Sony with its exclusives come, because there may not be 4k/60fps (vide R&C), but it will be the most efficient way that 4k/30fps is used (just compare Craig with all new&shiny Clank, and that's not a joke, those reflections are impressive). And we'll probably have, for the premiere, GT7, Miles Morales thing, R&C in December/January and, which is being gossiped, Demon's Souls. If the last one comes true, Microsoft will have to show off with multiplatforms, which, well, are multiplatforms. And that's why the price of Sony's console may be the same as Xbox Series X, because with the next-gen games from the get-go they will be the actual step-up. Oooh, and the Microsoft's biggest games for this year, Watch Dogs and Valhalla are cross-gen, and from what they've shown on UForward with Prince of Persia f.e., they will be fetch-questy af, because no one there cares about actual needs of a gamer, anymore, it's about feeling the Excel and player's time gap.

Edited by princefan2407
  • Like 3

Man, I'm really nervous about third party games, after seeing that the Series S has an inferior memory streaming solution (despite the SSD) to the One X. The backwards compatibility for One X enhancements will not work on Series S.

Really hope PS5 exclusives come out in full force. I don't want my hobby to be detuned on the whims of short term marketing.

Axel is a principal programmer at iD Software

Ehlo-Slk-Xk-AEXX-6.jpg

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 3

@Erazehz Might be helpful to Sony and first party games won’t have to worry. It’s possible third party developers may do more PS5 exclusives to avoid the constraints. I read smaller developers may skip MS until they drop the requirement to develop for the S. But yea, seems dumb. Hopefully it won’t hurt as much as they fear.

Edited by MidnightDragon

It'll say a lot if they don't cower to the "MS put their price so now Sony just HAS to" crowd if they stick with a showcase and demonstrate even more games, possibly the launch titles with some of the UI revealed. 

I'm still wagering on a late September/early October price announcement and pre-order launch.