Upcoming Trophy levelling changes detailed

Aranea Highwind

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Garbage. All sleek and shiny.

Sony definitely won if they were aiming to grab more dumb casual players.

“Dumb casual players” the elitism on this site is ridiculous. Just accept change, it’ll make life easier.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

I checked my psn account a few minuted ago, and saw that my level was raised to an absurd level. I was level 14 and now I am 253. At first I thought it was a bug, but then I read this topic. Seems the new leveling system is implemented. 

In my opinion. Both the old and new trophy system are still inadequate and unfair to gamers in general. As of yet I have not seen where the new trophy levelling system has improved or made the trophy system more fair. It only gives a false sense of accomplishment through higher numbers. Pure sales hype. It's aim is to prey on vanity. Sony is doing nothing more than fishing. Put more enticing looking bait on the hook ( bigger numbers, more trophy tiers ) the more fish ( customers ) they hope to catch. It is nothing more than a new variation of an old business ploy. It is designed to do nothing more than increase sales. Below are listed 3 items that would have improved the trophy system through fairness.

Item 1. Remove the 100 or 999 cap limit. Incentive and recognition dies with these caps in place.

Item 2. Remove and prohibit mandatory online requirements ( co-op and multiplayer ) from the base games. Place such activities in DLCs ONLY.  One can never hope to get Platinum when servers are no longer active. Give people back the choice to either play or not play online. I, like many others, tend to avoid buying such games because of past bad experiences with online players.

Item 3. Prohibit DLCs from affecting completion rate statistics. If a person completes the base game requirements then it should reflect a 100% completion rate. No one likes having a 100% drop to 80% because of an online DLC released a year later.

Above is but 3 ways the trophy system could have been greatly improved by Sony and wasn't. There are many others. What would YOU add to this list?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tinman_1954 said:

Prohibit DLCs from affecting completion rate statistics. If a person completes the base game requirements then it should reflect a 100% completion rate. No one likes having a 100% drop to 80% because of an online DLC released a year later.

If you're not 100% (this includes trophies from post-launch DLC content), then you shouldn't have credit for 100%. You wanna talk about being "unfair to gamers", but giving credit where no credit is due just ain't fair.

• Like 4

im guessing theres a bit of behind the scenes stuff to this update like support for the upcomming trophy tracking although dont see why they needed to change the leveling so much. Yes the cap needed an increase sure but its kind of pointless when its just the same thing with bigger numbers (with a tiny boost to plat points). This may change if sony does something similar to microsoft and make them worth something (think NA had some kind of failed system so i guess a newer version?)

something extremely simple like a search option on your trophy list would be nice, if youre looking for a game maybe you need to 100% and wanted to check it out without needing to hunt through 10's or 100's of games.

31 minutes ago, Helyx said:

If you're not 100% (this includes trophies from post-launch DLC content), then you shouldn't have credit for 100%. You wanna talk about being "unfair to gamers", but giving credit where no credit is due just ain't fair.

That falls back to Item 2. Why should anyone be denied the chance to obtain 100% because servers are no longer active? Is that fair?

11 hours ago, Aranea Highwind said:

Apparently this is how trophies will looks like on the PS5

Interesting to see the different scaling (size) effect from Bronze to Platinum. Poor bronze (little and worth less in points). #BronzeStrong

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Carol said:

First impression: I hate it. ?

It just looks bad, you know? The other system was much cleaner and it was easy to understand who was interested in trophies and who wasn’t.

Now, when I scroll through my friends list all I see is everyone with three stupid digits as their level. It just seems random and meaningless.

Alongside with making platinums for their exclusives much easier, this new trophy leveling system is part of this new Sony’s philosophy that trophy hunting has to be accessible for everyone... But it’s a hobby, you know? Not everyone has to like it...

Gotta agree. The scaling seems totally fucked too. My alt account has no plats and is a little over rank 200 while my main account has over 400 plats and is rank 700. The amount you need to level up must spike up massively at a certain point and as a result basically everybody's rank is huge now. It looks so damn ugly :P

As a side note I kinda wanna start a new account just to see how little it takes to level up in the beginning. Literally feels like going from level 1>2 takes like 1 bronze trophy!

Whatever this curve, it seems like somewhere around level 300 give or take is when trophy hunters separate from the regular gamers. I looked through my friends list and a lot of people in the 200s have like 1 plat or just a big assortment of trophies, but I'm at 72 plats for level 393.

19 minutes ago, jimbob12345678 said:

Gotta agree. The scaling seems totally fucked too. My alt account has no plats and is a little over rank 200 while my main account has over 400 plats and is rank 700. The amount you need to level up must spike up massively at a certain point and as a result basically everybody's rank is huge now. It looks so damn ugly :P

As a side note I kinda wanna start a new account just to see how little it takes to level up in the beginning. Literally feels like going from level 1>2 takes like 1 bronze trophy!

Nah Scaling seems fine, more or less the same just with higher numbers

1 hour ago, Carol said:

First impression: I hate it. 1f62d.png

It just looks bad, you know? The other system was much cleaner and it was easy to understand who was interested in trophies and who wasn’t.

Now, when I scroll through my friends list all I see is everyone with three stupid digits as their level. It just seems random and meaningless.

Alongside with making platinums for their exclusives much easier, this new trophy leveling system is part of this new Sony’s philosophy that trophy hunting has to be accessible for everyone... But it’s a hobby, you know? Not everyone has to like it...

I mean it looks bad if all you're thinking of is the old system, you just gotta get used to something new if you wanna keep doing this.

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

Now that the update has rolled out and I've had some time to marinate on the changes, I've got to say that I too think this is a downgrade overall. I liked how each level actually meant something in the old system. Seems like they just increased the levels tenfold to give the casuals the impression that they actually accomplished something, especially given how few points you need to level up all the way up 199 (big numbers mean I did good right???). I think a similar reason was behind their decision to increase the platinum's point value. I mean if you ever speak to someone who isn't really into trophy hunting, they always seem to treat the platinum trophy like it's this gargantuan task they would only go through the effort of getting for a select few titles. I guess Sony decided to change the value of them to reflect that view of things.

That's my issue with this whole update really - it's geared towards encouraging more casuals to start taking an interest in trophy hunting with no regard to how this affects those of us who are already into trophies and have been for years. Now I completely understand why Sony do this of course; we trophy hunters are a small minority of PlayStation's overall userbase. Doesn't mean I have to like it though. The original trophy system was designed with a specific intent and Sony just decided to mess with that delicate balance to get more people interested.

But let's be real here, the trophy system was bastardised long ago thanks to Sony's negligence. There are various publishers who release games on the regular with trophy lists so easy you can platinum them in minutes and they have a different list for every region and platform there is. People are essentially buying platinum trophies on the store and it's been this way for years. And speaking of platinums, they used to be only given to games that were significant enough to warrant one. It wasn't perfect of course, but in general, it meant smaller games would only be allowed to have a handful of trophies and no platinum. These things kept the trophy ecosystem intact, making platinum trophies and PSN levels much more meaningful than they are now. You could tell someone's dedication to trophy hunting at a glance, but that's not the case anymore... So yeah, while I think this update is a downgrade, things were already pretty bad to begin with.

Also, as a side note, these new trophy icons are ugly, the platinum in particular looks much worse. Look how they massacred my boy...
EjyU4QbUcAI8vGp?format=jpg&name=large

Disagree with everything, the trophy system was and has never been "bastardised". you can still tell someones dedication, you're being ridiculously dramatic, chill out, its an improvement, you just don't like change. The new trophy icons look pretty slick but the badges aren't on there so I don't know if that's at all legit.

11 minutes ago, h4mx0r said:

Whatever this curve, it seems like somewhere around level 300 give or take is when trophy hunters separate from the regular gamers. I looked through my friends list and a lot of people in the 200s have like 1 plat or just a big assortment of trophies, but I'm at 72 plats for level 393.

StayPationt Trophies has a 4 part video series on how to be a trophy hunter on YouTube. In it he identifies several types of trophy hunters. You may find it interesting and educational.

Sigh. Mine hasn't changed over yet, but I just got an easy plat and the while it says the trophis synched- my % didn't go up and my plat number didn't change. Hasn't synched on here either. Wonder if that's related?

Edit: Did a force synch, amf it's still not updating properly (Even though it again appeared to be successful). Also noticed my dummy account has been updated, but not mine. About 20% of my friends list is still on the old system too. 

Edited by Floorkiller74

I don't think trophy levels have meant anything since the PS3 days. This update has made me care even less about them.

A level 10 account with super meat boy plat for example is way more impressive than a level 40 that has stacked crap on it.

I wish they'd do more to award the players that chase those hard/impossible platinums.

27 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Now that the update has rolled out and I've had some time to marinate on the changes, I've got to say that I too think this is a downgrade overall. I liked how each level actually meant something in the old system. Seems like they just increased the levels tenfold to give the casuals the impression that they actually accomplished something, especially given how few points you need to level up all the way up 199 (big numbers mean I did good right???). I think a similar reason was behind their decision to increase the platinum's point value. I mean if you ever speak to someone who isn't really into trophy hunting, they always seem to treat the platinum trophy like it's this gargantuan task they would only go through the effort of getting for a select few titles. I guess Sony decided to change the value of them to reflect that view of things.

That's my issue with this whole update really - it's geared towards encouraging more casuals to start taking an interest in trophy hunting with no regard to how this affects those of us who are already into trophies and have been for years. Now I completely understand why Sony do this of course; we trophy hunters are a small minority of PlayStation's overall userbase. Doesn't mean I have to like it though. The original trophy system was designed with a specific intent and Sony just decided to mess with that delicate balance to get more people interested.

But let's be real here, the trophy system was bastardised long ago thanks to Sony's negligence. There are various publishers who release games on the regular with trophy lists so easy you can platinum them in minutes and they have a different list for every region and platform there is. People are essentially buying platinum trophies on the store and it's been this way for years. And speaking of platinums, they used to be only given to games that were significant enough to warrant one. It wasn't perfect of course, but in general, it meant smaller games would only be allowed to have a handful of trophies and no platinum. These things kept the trophy ecosystem intact, making platinum trophies and PSN levels much more meaningful than they are now. You could tell someone's dedication to trophy hunting at a glance, but that's not the case anymore... So yeah, while I think this update is a downgrade, things were already pretty bad to begin with.

Also, as a side note, these new trophy icons are ugly, the platinum in particular looks much worse. Look how they massacred my boy...
EjyU4QbUcAI8vGp?format=jpg&name=large

The biggest disgrace to me is trophy stacking. Why should anyone be allowed to have 8 Platinums for a game they only play once. Just because you bought it from a different region does entitle you to the Platinum unless you actually play and earn it again.