Name #1 game you would like to platinum but don't possess the skill level to obtain it?

YeWeeScumBag

5 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

What I was trying to focus on as a key difference between trophy hunters and speedrunners/esports players was the difficulty of their individual achievements. A trophy hunter may boast that they have any number of the most difficult platinums out there, but none of those platinums will, individually, be more difficult than achieving a WR in a competitive game like SM64 or a championship title in a competitive game like Fortnite. 

The appeal of trophy hunting, as you've pointed out, is that you're not chained to one game for thousands of hours. You get to enjoy a wide variety of content. But the cost of that appeal is that there will likely never be individual feats that are going to be anywhere near as difficult or more impressive than that of the best speedrunners or esports players. 

Well again, this goes back to the Street Fighter tournaments I mentioned. Those players at the top are at a higher skill level than even the best trophy hunters on this website. Speed running isn't the only skill based thing in gaming, there is a lot more in play that many of us don't even know about.

Old games like Super Mario 64 are mostly just done for speed runs these days anyway. I can think of plenty of other games, including the original Super Mario Bros from the mid 1980s that is generally a popular choice for speed runners. I know both of those games by heart but I would never have the patience and skill to come anywhere close to what those top speed runners have achieved. That in itself is fucking impressive.

The fact of the matter is we're basically average players. I couldn't even compete in a Super Smash Bros tournament, I remember back in the day I watched guys play Super Smash Bros Melee and they were using advanced techniques like L-Cancel multiple times and other moves that I couldn't hope to emulate. Again this comes down to people spending hundreds and thousands of hours doing one game or a few games.

Both you @ExistentialSolid and @machaesthetic have some pretty impressive time stamps for some hard as nails games, but they don't paint any picture of the players actual skill and talent.

• Like 2

I could name several games from my list, but I decided to choose the most recent one. Crash 4. Clearing the game won't be a problem, but getting the gems on the other hand. I'll finish it someday when I give myself enough time.

Also, I'll have to see if I have the skill to platinum a game I'm planning to do as my 100th. Sorry, I'm not going to spoil it, although I will say that it's harder than anything I've done before. Perhaps even harder than Crash 4. We'll see.

12 hours ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

that profile advice is most definently the wrong way to go about things. If you find a game frustrating, don't just start going on a tangent and calling it a piece of shit. You'll only get rightful hate from it, just some advice

There are different kinds of frustration. Some games are frustrating because they are indeed shit, unintentionally painful to play throughout every stage, there is no reason not to call a turd a turd even if someone who is into the taste of shit sandwiches then gets salty about it, and what is the wrong way for you works perfectly fine for others.

Great games turn getting your ass kicked into a fun experience, you want to beat it to overcome the challenge and honor this worthy opponent of a game with the completion, Prototype was such a game for me, as was Oddworld. Good or decent games make getting your ass kicked a bearable experience you still want to end soon because it gets old and kinda stopped being really fun a while ago, Super Meat Boy definitely falls into that categfory for me, as I had a lot of fun with the game but it just overstayed its welcome with this cramp of a trophy list so some rants were the result of it. Shit games make you wish they were never created so you didn't even get the chance to make the terrible decision of starting to play them, games like Strafe, Necrosphere or Nioh definitely fit that description for me, as their very design seems rotten to the core to me and I can't fathom how people have fun with these games.

Super Meat Boy probably frustrated me more than any other game ever, over several years, and yet I would not call it a bad game, its a good game with a questionable trophy list, it was both painful and fun to go for most of the challenges the game gives, but still ranting about such punishing games can help with the motivation a lot, especially if you have a few other people chime in and send an honest fuck you to that really hard part of a game while trying to overcome it. Some people obviously prefer to suffer in silence, which is alright too, though pretty boring. People deal with it differently, as long as you are choosing one approach and stick with it there should not be a problem, you just don't want to be one of those losers who vehemently and blindly defend games they like under other peoples rants, yet post salty rants of their own on games they are stuck with, those people are impossinble to respect or even take seriously.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

I've platinumed a lot of games (25 yeah thats SO impressive smh) most of them super easy games, but the platinum i'm most proud of (as of right now) is...

GRAND THEFT AUTO V!!!

I got the Platinum in mid july 2020 at 4 am, the last thing i did was reach rank 100, it took me since late april since thats around the time i decided i was gonna platinum the game, I hated most of the online trophies, getting to 100 was a grind on its own, spent atleast a week on it, but it was all worth it too (Fun Fact: it was 666th trophy too)

And because of this, you'd think I can plat anything.. NOPE, all my other plats are just kinda ok. (dont worry, i have a bunch of "hopefully impressive" platinums coming soon) and my second rarest platinum is fr*cking Nickelodeon Kart Racers out of all games.

So, Hopefully i can get some more impressive plats in the future (P5R, DOOM ETERNAL & MAFIA DEFINITIVE EDITION are just 3 of the games i want to plat)

P.S idk, maybe Street Fighter V, I suck BIG TIME at that game, ain't no way i'm getting the plat

Edited by Exeshow678
  • Like 2

It's gotta be SMB. Kudos to those out there who have the determination to develop the muscle memory for the no-death runs. I just can't do it.

I'll probably come back one day and clear out the warp zone content and the dark world, because those are single levels for the most part. But 20 in a row? I think I've taken that as far as I can, or want.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

Well again, this goes back to the Street Fighter tournaments I mentioned. Those players at the top are at a higher skill level than even the best trophy hunters on this website. Speed running isn't the only skill based thing in gaming, there is a lot more in play that many of us don't even know about.

Old games like Super Mario 64 are mostly just done for speed runs these days anyway. I can think of plenty of other games, including the original Super Mario Bros from the mid 1980s that is generally a popular choice for speed runners. I know both of those games by heart but I would never have the patience and skill to come anywhere close to what those top speed runners have achieved. That in itself is fucking impressive.

The fact of the matter is we're basically average players. I couldn't even compete in a Super Smash Bros tournament, I remember back in the day I watched guys play Super Smash Bros Melee and they were using advanced techniques like L-Cancel multiple times and other moves that I couldn't hope to emulate. Again this comes down to people spending hundreds and thousands of hours doing one game or a few games.

Both you @ExistentialSolid and @machaesthetic have some pretty impressive time stamps for some hard as nails games, but they don't paint any picture of the players actual skill and talent.

Yeah absolutely! I made a mistake when I initially used the term "esports players" and sort of mentally grouped together anyone that played a game competitively (whether that be League, Fortnite, Street Fighter, Smash Bros, etc) but, of course, we don't generally call all of those players "esports players." Fighting game professionals have definitely developed absurd amounts of skill and should be recognized alongside the best.

There's tons of talent that don't cleanly fit within the lines of what's been discussed so far and I think I may have zoomed in too far on specific groups of players. If you've ever dabbled in rhythm games for example, there are absolute machines out there that can follow a beat as precisely as a metronome. Anything resembling "precision" from me looks like a joke in comparison. 

"We're basically average players" is probably the best way to sum up my point about trophy hunters. We tend to glorify the very act of finishing games while leaving mastery to those that are willing to dedicate serious time to their respective games. 

You have an impressive profile as well! I meant to reply to your earlier post that I've never really liked the idea of saying one's profile is more "impressive" than another. You've played plenty of hard games yourself and maintain a much cleaner completion rate. As long as you enjoy what you're playing, that's the best way to trophy hunt.

Edited by ExistentialSolid

Going to have to go with Rock Band 4. Love playing this game casually and I was a lot better on earlier versions over a decade ago when I was in college, but my hands/wrists aren't what they use to be and I've gotten a bit of carpel tunnel (which is why my PC gaming has gone down a lot). Playing on Hard is about where I am for 4/5 stars on most songs and I can do some experts, but some of them are just a bit much for me after 4-5 attempts.

Probably best with the guitar and bass so I usually stick with those. I'm ok at the drums, especially when you can disable the need for the peddle, but my singing makes dogs start to whine...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

knowing the guy, he is calling actually good games shit, like The Binding of Issac

eaxctly

question, how is P5R impressive to get? If it was the OG P5, sure, but not P5R

probably should have said that instead, OG P5 is probably more impressive then P5R

There's quite a few for me, but the one that comes to mind and will be forever impossible for my skill level are the Kingdom Hearts games except KH3. Birth By Sleep was the one that strikes me, as I found it to be the hardest for trophies overall. It had the hardest mini games and needed you to do everything 3 times (once with each character) to complete the trinity reports, which is insane. Anyway, I kept losing the mini games so I didn't bother with the super bosses. 

I'm tempted to say Beat Saber just by how overwhelmed I can get at times with even the easier songs and seeing how insane some of the later songs get, but who knows?  Maybe with a ton of practice I'll be able to get it done.  I like playing challenging games and I'm currently working on most of the ones generally accepted as the toughest.  No idea if I'll be able to get the plat for any of them, but I'm working on it!  Might be easier if I wasn't playing them all at once of course....

All of the Souls games. The gameplay, atmosphere, structure, I think it would be my favourite series ever if I could complete them! Can't wait for Demon's on PS5, no chance I can complete it but more than happy to pay full whack just to experience it on launch.

• Like 1