Name #1 game you would like to platinum but don't possess the skill level to obtain it?

YeWeeScumBag

4 minutes ago, Jasko_SOA said:

Do you know what trophy people were referring to in particular when they thought that Badland is impossible?

From what I can tell by checkibg the trophy list is that this game is particularly long because of all the clones you have to save. I can imagine that this demotivates people.

yeah @Floriiss is probably having the best profile ever, no doubt. It is cool to see a profile like that, considering all the amount of Ratalaika games coming out nowadays.

You will get the ambulance surgeries eventually! Sometimes, when the ambulance bumps into something, this fortunately works to your favor. Only trouble I had was with that eye surgery, but this surgery is just stupid because so many things have to go right.

There was a collectible that people thought was unobtainable, I believe it was different on the Steam version. 

Anyone who gets Crypt of the Necrodancer deserves the utmost respect, and @Floriiss did just that. 

I have Ambulance and Space surgeries left to A++. I’m actually having a harder time getting used to the Space surgeries. You grab that scalpel and it flies right out of your hand and out of reach. 

• Like 1

Skill level usually isn't particularly a concern when I consider going for platinum, at least not directly. I'm usually far more concerned about the grind and if I'll enjoy the process of trying to improve. With that said, this would probably mostly apply to the various rhythm games in my collection. While I quite enjoy the genre, they often have trophies that require more grinding that I'd care to do and more perfection than I have the patience to obtain. For example, I've recently been playing a bit of Superbeat: Xonic and stuff like a 99999 combo is just a huge grind while unlocking 100% of everything requires nearly flawless play on many of the most difficult 8 button patterns, often with some kind of additional handicap. They're trophy collections that I will work on intermittently, but I simply don't have the natural ability for it to be something I seriously work towards. Doesn't help that many of them play quite differently, so even if I get good at one, it doesn't usually transfer over well to another.

4 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I've heard plenty of stories of players that had to play the levels in Dark Cotton Alley for 50+ hours in order to achieve their deathless run. 10 hours is almost nothing. Personally, I could barely get a 5-level streak going at 10 hours. Chances are that the muscle memory for the more difficult levels hadn't developed yet, you got discouraged, and gave up too early.

I think these "physical limitations" you're talking about is imaginary (at least in this case). You just need more determination and the willingness to put in the practice. If you actually play the levels in Dark Cotton Alley for 200+ hours and still see no noticeable improvement, then I'd start to buy your argument. But trust me when I say that it is not out of your reach. You've tricked yourself into believing a lie.

You misunderstood me. I practiced the levels for many hours, then I was starting to do statistics of how many times I died to get through the dark cotton alley and compared them because it felt like I was not really getting better anymore. The first statistics I did when I believed to be stuck and the last few statistics I did and then compared roughly 10 hours later were more or less all around the same, way above 50+ number of deaths to get through the shit, which was proof that I was not getting better anymore, because if you do not make any meassurable progress after 10 extra hours of dedicated practice, you won't get better after 100 hours either, as a lack of practice is not the problem. In this case it was because I hit my cap and simply couldn't perform all the pixel perfect maneuvers even semi reliably, I was making too many mistakes and despite knowing every required movement in my sleep, simply performing all of them in a row, flawlessly, was simply beyond my physical capabilities. This means that, based on the statistics of my performance, getting through with 0 deaths is basically so unlikely that it is not worth even attempting anymore. Sure in theory there is somewhat of a tiny chance it might happen if I keep playing the game for hundreds of hours more, technically someone with 300 deaths per run might get that one run where everything somehow goes perfectly despite insane numbers of deaths being the norm, but it might not even happen after hundreds of hours, and I want my TV to stay intact, which it would not be after that much time in that frustrating of an endgame.

Btw I love how some people always planlessly throw in their "you can do this" mentality that their mothers told them when they were younger, as if I myself am not capable to judge far better what I can or can't actually do than some guy on the internet who does not know anything about me. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but no, you can't do everything if you just try enough, unless you have the required talent for it. You can't get the plat in Crypt Of The Necrodancer if you are naturally bad at timing and have no feeling for rhythm, you can't get Super Meat Boy if pixel perfect jumps and milisecond differences in tapping the movement button aren't something you can flawlessly pull off several times in a row like the trophy requires, just like you can't become a high class combat sports athlete if your body is super frail, or a renowm theoretical physicist if your iq is somewhere around 80, it is simply not how it works, you gotta choose your ambitions somewhat realistically if you are limited in certain areas. Hard to believe for someone with your skillset I imagine, but there are plenty of people out there who could not get all of your trophy cabinet trophies even if they attempted it for the next 5 years in a row whenever they have free time.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

You misunderstood me. [...]

Look, I sympathize with your position. I used to believe that any remotely impressive gaming feat was completely beyond my skill level. But you have to understand that you're vastly overestimating the talent required to trophy hunt. Trophy hunting is the lowest possible form of gaming achievement. The feats that the greatest speedrunners and esports players can do are light-years beyond anything the very best trophy hunter can do. 

I would not compare trophy hunters to "athletes" or "theoretical physicists."  I would compare them to people that excel at a craft. In the same way that it would be absurd to say that "I cannot sew together this rug, it's impossible" or "fixing these pipes is just forever going to be beyond my ability," I believe it's similarly absurd to say that "I cannot earn this trophy."

Trophies are designed to be earned. Any of the skills you mentioned that trophy hunting requires can be developed by almost anyone with enough patience. "Rhythm" is a skill like any other. It can be developed, sharpened, and wielded to suit whatever purpose you choose. "Pixel perfect jumps and millisecond differences in tapping the movement button" can be learned and ingrained into your very muscles if you give it enough time to digest. 

You've made one critical mistake in the learning process for SMB: you have not thoroughly examined why you are failing. You have only made a crude statistical estimation that no progress is being made and chosen to give up based on that single estimation. If a level is consistently tearing you up, learn a new strategy. Make a change. Try to understand where you are going wrong and adapt to correct your course. I personally had to watch about 10-15 different runs of Dark Cotton Alley while slowing piecing together different strategies from this player or this player until a cohesive, consistent patchwork was formed that I would grind again and again until I finally made it through Dark Cotton Alley without any deaths.

In much the same way that a child can learn to walk after spending weeks stumbling over their feet, you can earn a trophy in a video game that was meant to be earned. It only requires time and practice. Again, this skill "cap" is a figment of your imagination.

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 4

Yeah yeah, everyone can get every single trophy according to your naive mindset, they are all just a bunch of bums too lazy to put in the work for it, am I right?

I don't want to hijack this thread completely with a needlessly long and tedious discussion that will probably not go anywhere good anyway given how weak your arguments actually are, so I won't dismantle your ridiculous post into pieces with walls of text below each one like I'd normally do, but I have you known that the sheer arrogance you put on display here with your posts is mind boggling to me. Basically you are claiming that anyone here saying a game is beyond their skill level is full of shit, you know better what they can do than they know it themselves, despite not having a clue about who sits behind that account, and you seem to think we are all too dumb to judge ourselves and our limits in an accurate way.

Do me a favor man, look at my profile, look at some of the shit I played, look how much time some of those plats and 100% need, and look how long it took me to even get as far in Super Meat Boy as I am right now, and then answer me this: Does that look like the profile of someone who gives up for good easily? You think I didn't bust my ass in an attempt to get this shit trophy and get what, at that time, would have been a flawless 100% profile with Super Meat Boy as my treasured 50th platinum? That decision did not come easily, believe me, if I thought for even a second that it was somehow realistic to get that trophy I would have gotten it, and you casually dismissing that thought is almost insulting.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

Yeah yeah, everyone can get every single trophy according to your naive mindset, they are all just a bunch of bums too lazy to put in the work for it, am I right?

I don't want to hijack this thread completely with a needlessly long and tedious discussion that will probably not go anywhere good anyway given how weak your arguments actually are, so I won't dismantle your ridiculous post into pieces with walls of text below each one like I'd normally do, but I have you known that the sheer arrogance you put on display here with your posts is mind boggling to me. Basically you are claiming that anyone here saying a game is beyond their skill level is full of shit, you know better what they can do than they know it themselves, despite not having a clue about who sits behind that account, and you seem to think we are all too dumb to judge ourselves and our limits in an accurate way.

Do me a favor man, look at my profile, look at some of the shit I played, look how much time some of those plats and 100% need, and look how long it took me to even get as far in Super Meat Boy as I am right now, and then answer me this: Does that look like the profile of someone who gives up for good easily? You think I didn't bust my ass in an attempt to get this shit trophy and get what, at that time, would have been a flawless 100% profile with Super Meat Boy as my treassured 50 platinum? That decision did not come easily, believe me, and you casually dismissing that is almost insulting.

I don't believe that players are "too lazy" to put in the work to earn a trophy or "too dumb" to judge their own abilities. I believe that we are prone to making assumptions about "skill" that are not always accurate. These assumptions act like walls and cause us to say things like "I'm not good enough" or "this is pointless" or "why bother trying" without any real rational basis behind them. So we end up giving up not knowing that we were actually capable of success.

I apologize for my arrogance but I will stubbornly cling to my views and hope that you reconsider SMB in the future because I still genuinely believe that you can succeed. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Atoya said:

None, I believe every game can be completed by every person, skill is obtained with time and patience.

motivation is a different thing since the person doesn't want to bother with it, btw you can do street fighter :) the online can be boosted!

In that case you can do this for me on Guitar Hero Hits? The 0.12% rarity speaks for itself!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, willmill97 said:

In that case you can do this for me on Guitar Hero Hits? The 0.12% rarity speaks for itself!!

What are you trying to prove?

this person dedicated time and effort to get good at the game, sadly I am not into guitar hero/rhythm games but my point still stand, if you put enough effort into a game you will get.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Look, I sympathize with your position. I used to believe that any remotely impressive gaming feat was completely beyond my skill level. But you have to understand that you're vastly overestimating the talent required to trophy hunt. Trophy hunting is the lowest possible form of gaming achievement. The feats that the greatest speedrunners and esports players can do are light-years beyond anything the very best trophy hunter can do. 

I would not compare trophy hunters to "athletes" or "theoretical physicists."  I would compare them to people that excel at a craft. In the same way that it would be absurd to say that "I cannot sew together this rug, it's impossible" or "fixing these pipes is just forever going to be beyond my ability," I believe it's similarly absurd to say that "I cannot earn this trophy."

It's quite simple. The speed runners focus on one particular game or a series of games, and practice for thousands of hours. MatteSMB did not get as good as he did just going through all the worlds without dying. Precision is a skill set that not everybody else has, it is a skill that I myself never had. I just held onto the will that I would never give up, and eventually, after about 30 - 40 hours, I finally nailed Impossible Boy.

If you follow the sports world and you've been a fan for as long as I have, then I'm sure you know Lebron James, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and the rest of those superstars. I could never be good enough to emulate what they achieved, hell just getting into professional sports is setting a bar so high you're vastly limiting the number of potential players who have the talent. Millions love basketball and I used to play basketball in my high school years, but hardly anybody could remotely be compared to Lebron James. He is just that good, and he has the build and natural talent that comes around once in a generation. The bar is set so high you're looking at astronomical statistics, whereas trophy hunting as a whole is undoubtedly far more accessible, even if you were going for the 'hard' achievements.

Yes, you finished off Super Meat Boy as I have myself, so maybe your next challenge should be Crypt of the Necrodancer. Cloudberry Kingdom and Splasher are both more difficult than Meat Boy in terms of platformers. Even if you complete Crypt of the Necrodancer, there will always be someone better.

Someone that I can respect for his talents is @greenzsaber, he is a speedrunner who was on a few competitive speed run competitions who also happens to trophy hunt on this website. I could never get those impressive times. But we're already going off track here, so I'll just end this here.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eqill5 said:

@Spaz @Jasko_SOA Badland has been on my radar for a while, from what I understand the co-op trophies can be done through share play? 

Correct, I am not sure, but I think that only the host gets credit for saved clones/played games. So if my theory is correct then you can multiply the requirements by 2 in order for both participants to get the respective trophies??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

It's quite simple. The speed runners focus on one particular game or a series of games, and practice for thousands of hours. MatteSMB did not get as good as he did just going through all the worlds without dying. Precision is a skill set that not everybody else has, it is a skill that I myself never had. I just held onto the will that I would never give up, and eventually, after about 30 - 40 hours, I finally nailed Impossible Boy.

[...]

Yes, you finished off Super Meat Boy as I have myself, so maybe your next challenge should be Crypt of the Necrodancer. Cloudberry Kingdom and Splasher are both more difficult than Meat Boy in terms of platformers. Even if you complete Crypt of the Necrodancer, there will always be someone better.

I get what you're saying but I'm convinced that precision, like other skills, can be developed by almost anyone over time. I don't believe it's a skill set you either "have" or "don't have." I'm sure we'd agree, for example, that speedrunners don't just wake up one day suddenly capable of performing dozens of consecutive frame-perfect inputs on command. They have to practice and practice until their precision (or at least their game-specific precision) resembles a razor-sharp tool. 

My only point in mentioning speedrunning is that it will always be far more difficult to set a world record in a competitive speedrunning-game than it is to earn a platinum trophy or 100% a difficult game. These are the players (along with actual esports players) that could feasibly be compared to athletes in my mind as the basic skills that players use to succeed at trophy hunting are elevated to the limits of human ability in these other, more competitive, gaming fields.

As for the other challenging games you've mentioned, I agree, there will always be someone better. I wasn't trying to place myself on a pedestal; there are plenty of profiles far more impressive than mine. I just wanted to try putting trophy hunting into perspective when looking at the wider scope of gaming challenge. Trophy hunters are like the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" (and almost anyone can become a jack of a trade).

Legend of Kay. Wish I had the skills to get past a game breaking bug right at the end of the game, or the skill of patience with a mediocre game to replay from an earlier save up till that point again.

In all seriousness though, I guess Sekiro, maybe. Honestly, I didn't really enjoy that game much, I purposefully went for the bad ending just so it would be over quicker. Part of the reason I didn't enjoy it though is because I sucked at it. I'm decent with the Souls games but Sekiro was just all about parrying and countering, when I'm using to dodging and blocking.

Edited by SuperSmexy500