Name #1 game you would like to platinum but don't possess the skill level to obtain it?

YeWeeScumBag

For me, It's 50/50 split between InFamous 1 and Mass Effect 2
For Mass Effect, it's stupidly long loading times + brain dead combat + preasure of Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition sittin' on my shelf, still sealed, w8ing for ME2 save import 

For InFamous, it's 2 trophyes - Stunt Master and Rockhound
Rockhound is your run of a mill "Collect all collectables" trophy, which is boring, but doable
Stunt Master tho? oof.
I had, like, 3 diferent saves: all of them ware one stunt short - it's eather "kill 3(5?) guys with a drop attack" or "Push 3(5?) guys off", I don't remember. 
But two of my saves had 100% of map cleared => 5 man squads could not spawn
As for 3rd - it was missin' another stunt. Somethin' only doable at the tower, If I recall 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Spaz said:

Well again, this goes back to the Street Fighter tournaments I mentioned. Those players at the top are at a higher skill level than even the best trophy hunters on this website. Speed running isn't the only skill based thing in gaming, there is a lot more in play that many of us don't even know about.

Old games like Super Mario 64 are mostly just done for speed runs these days anyway. I can think of plenty of other games, including the original Super Mario Bros from the mid 1980s that is generally a popular choice for speed runners. I know both of those games by heart but I would never have the patience and skill to come anywhere close to what those top speed runners have achieved. That in itself is fucking impressive.

The fact of the matter is we're basically average players. I couldn't even compete in a Super Smash Bros tournament, I remember back in the day I watched guys play Super Smash Bros Melee and they were using advanced techniques like L-Cancel multiple times and other moves that I couldn't hope to emulate. Again this comes down to people spending hundreds and thousands of hours doing one game or a few games.

Both you have some pretty impressive time stamps for some hard as nails games, but they don't paint any picture of the players actual skill and talent.

I'm not sure why you are putting speedrunners or pro players on a pedestal. They are at the top skill level of fighting games because they have played them for thousands of hours focusing on competitive PvP. Clearly they will be better than a trophy hunter who does not play fighting games nearly this much and who also play more for PvE than PvP. You couldn't complete a WR speedrun of one of these games because you don't have even a small fraction of time spent in the game that they do (or the time was not as focused); most speedrunners play the same game for hundreds or thousands of hours trying to optimize the same path. On the same note, a speedrunner could not have dozens of extremely difficult games completed because they have not spend the time to do so.

Consider that these top speed runners (and certainly pro players) oftentimes have 2k - 10k+ hours of gametime spent practicing the same things; in this same time, you could complete around 50 - 300 extremely difficult games 100%. Even then, many of these challenge players/trophy hunters can and do set WR speedruns and feats that are never topped, despite them not playing the game for an extensive amount of time. And again, there is also a lot of overlap between speedrunners and trophy hunters when the game is not old/popular (older popular games tend to have a huge time investment barrier to entry to be one of the top players), as pretty much anyone who has 100%'ed Sine Mora, Super Meat Boy, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Splasher, Retro/Grade, TxK, Ninja Senki DX, etc.  are very close to the top of the leaderboards/records for these games despite not trying for score/speed and only playing long enough to 100% them. It really just comes down to what someone can focus and motivate themselves to do. If you don't have interest in playing the same linear singleplayer game for thousands of hours doing the same repetitive task (I know I certainly don't), then you probably won't be setting speedrun WRs. Also I'm not sure why you say that impressive feats don't paint a picture of actual skill and talent while suggesting that spending thousands of hours practicing for a speedrun for a WR does. 

19 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

I understand but I think you might be muddying the argument a bit when you suggest that trophy hunting is "more about doing a wide variety of hard challenges quickly." This, as you've admitted, is a more subjective and personal definition of what "good" trophy hunting is to you. You are sort of blending trophy hunting and speedrunning here which makes comparing the two much more complicated. I'm sure there are talented trophy hunters that could earn WRs in some games early on, but, inevitably, these WRs are going to be taken away by dedicated speedrunners over time, assuming that the game is somewhat competitive.

I think you may be making an unnecessary assumption when you suggest that some top speedrunners are "mediocre players" that have a "lower skill level" than the best trophy hunters. Frame-perfect annihilation of a game takes an absurd amount of skill that needs to be built up over time. The difference is that much of their skill may only be demonstrable in their specific speedrunning game.  

What I was trying to focus on as a key difference between trophy hunters and speedrunners/esports players was the difficulty of their individual achievements. A trophy hunter may boast that they have any number of the most difficult platinums out there, but none of those platinums will, individually, be more difficult than achieving a WR in a competitive game like SM64 or a championship title in a competitive game like Fortnite. 

The appeal of trophy hunting, as you've pointed out, is that you're not chained to one game for thousands of hours. You get to enjoy a wide variety of content. But the cost of that appeal is that there will likely never be individual feats that are going to be anywhere near as difficult or more impressive than that of the best speedrunners or esports players. 

Yes, obviously people who have spent much more time learning and practicing a game and focus specifically on speed and score will have better speeds and scores than those who have played significantly less time and don't focus on speed and score. It's also extremely disingenuous to compare someone who has spent 5k - 10k hours playing a single game to achieve a WR speedrun to somebody who has only played the game for 20 hours and was not trying for speed or a WR. But just like I wrote above, in that same time, you could 100% and have competitive scores or times (though probably not the very top) in hundreds of individual games. I think most people (rightfully so) view challenge players or trophy hunters by the collective of all the games they have done, rather than just one individual game. 

tl;dr most of it just comes primarily down to time investment and motivation, whether it is speedrunning, trophy hunting, pro play, or any other hobby. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, machaesthetic said:

And again, there is also a lot of overlap between speedrunners and trophy hunters when the game is not old/popular (older popular games tend to have a huge time investment barrier to entry to be one of the top players), as pretty much anyone who has 100%'ed Sine Mora, Super Meat Boy, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Splasher, Retro/Grade, TxK, Ninja Senki DX, etc.  are very close to the top of the leaderboards/records for these games despite not trying for score/speed and only playing long enough to 100% them. 

All these games are noted to be very difficult. From what I’ve been told Splasher is one of the most difficult platformers on PSN, Crypt of the Necrodancer is generally regarded as one of the most difficult games to earn a platinum in any genre.

Once again, I have a lot of respect for @greenzsaber, @Floriiss, @Danny_Johansen, @PunishedGranny, @Darkette and some of those other guys who finished these hard games. They possess a higher skill level than me. However all of these games are niche, so they really only attract a certain type of player. 

But I fail to see what you’re trying to convey here. There are trophy hunters who speedrun, like greenzsaber. For others, they take their time with these hard games. 

Most of those speed runners don’t care about trophies. I’m sure you can get MatteSMB in here and he will beat the guy in 1st place on the fastest achievers list in Super Meat Boy. But I don’t think he cares about trophies enough to really do that. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Spaz said:

All these games are noted to be very difficult. From what I’ve been told Splasher is one of the most difficult platformers on PSN, Crypt of the Necrodancer is generally regarded as one of the most difficult games to earn a platinum in any genre.

Once again, I have a lot of respect for @greenzsaber, @Floriiss, @Danny_Johansen, @PunishedGranny, @Darkette and some of those other guys who finished these hard games. They possess a higher skill level than me. However all of these games are niche, so they really only attract a certain type of player. 

But I fail to see what you’re trying to convey here. There are trophy hunters who speedrun, like greenzsaber. For others, they take their time with these hard games. 

Most of those speed runners don’t care about trophies. I’m sure you can get MatteSMB in here and he will beat the guy in 1st place on the fastest achievers list in Super Meat Boy. But I don’t think he cares about trophies enough to really do that. 

his whole point is you're comparing speedrunners who mostly only speedrun a specific game or two, to the trophy community who play a whole variety of games. That's a comparison you shouldn't make especially if you are saying how much better they are than us, that's what @machaesthetic is saying and I agree with him

On 10/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, Atoya said:

None, I believe every game can be completed by every person, skill is obtained with time and patience.

motivation is a different thing since the person doesn't want to bother with it, btw you can do street fighter :) the online can be boosted!

Any game can be completed by any person but it will take that person a long ass time to complete it. A lot of people just dont have the time to spend 50+ hours on a game to try to get a hard trophy

It would have to be Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai.This is a hardcore, niche anime 2D fighting game that has probably one of the most difficult trophy sets out there, but for sure among fighting games. No way games like Injustice or dare I say it, Persona 4 Arena, can even come close to the difficulty of this game.

Even though it can be overcome like any other game with enough practice, I'm personally stuck between a rock and a hard place, with a semi-competitive mindset that rather invests time in games that are worthwhile but I also love trophy hunting. The thing is, Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai is a dead game. If I develop skills in this game, they will go straight into the bin. On top of it, it's not like this game stands out among fighters like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear, both of which are far better mechanically, so there is literally no reason for me to go back to it other than suffer through the remaining character challenges for a trophy. I am proud of this imperfection on my list and it's a good sign that I'm still human as far as I'm concerned.

This game is mind numbingly difficult. There was one trophy that required a specific combo that was so hard that I (after 40 hours of practicing) and all the others that played it at the time dropped the plat, before I figured out through a pro Japanese player that it could be trivialized. That's how every plat achiever you see, except a few of those Asian gods, got past it.

I've personally witnessed some of the plat achievers get close to a mental breakdown going after it... Yeah, I'm done for good, unless my masochism gets the absolute best of me.

Edited by PeachXHime
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, YeWeeScumBag said:

Been thinking about tekken 7 for a while.. Whats the grind like? 

3 hours ago, Jamescush147 said:

I didn't notice it. Not grindy at all, that I remember.

Piss easy for a fighting game. Definitely the easiest to platinum in the Tekken series.

• Like 1

On 2020-10-10 at 0:07 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

This is an easy one for me. Tetris Effect.

I absolutely love Tetris. I probably have 40-50 hours in it on PS4 and another 40-50 hours of Tetris 99 on the switch. I play Tetris a lot to relax, but I play it pretty casually (not a lot in bunches, more like 30 mins here. 30 mins there).

However, this game brings a lot of cool, interesting challenges and getting SS rank on all of them is just too difficult for me. Heck, I'll be jumping up and down if I ever get all A ranks one day. To give you an example, you have to clear 40 lines in 1:10. My current PR is around 2:05. There's just no way I'd ever get it down that low unless I dedicate an entire year to Tetris or quit my job and focus on it exclusively, and that'll never happen. I have too many games I want to play and not enough time.

And, I know what you're thinking. 2:05 must be pretty slow. Sure. For people who play a lot of Tetris, it is. However, most people would struggle hard to get under 2:30 without investing a lot of time in the game. 

I could give other examples of why I'd never get the platinum, but this example gets my point across.

Same. Doesn’t help that the 100 Avatars is bugged for me and I can never earn them from the Weekly Events ;/

I'll list down recent PS4 games that I played and wanted to get the platinum trophy but couldn't because I am still lacking the skill to finish them on higher difficulty level.

1. Final Fantasy 7 Remake: As I recall whenever I tried the Shinra VR mission I was always able to get to Bahamut. But unfortunately I always gets wiped out when Bahamut cast the spell. I know I will be able to beat this eventually.

2. Darksiders 3: Apocalyptic Mode is so punishing. I lost the drive to progress the game because even normal mobs is very hard to defeat (what more when I reached the Sins battle). So have parked the game and move on to other games.

3. Titanfall 2: I couldn't get the under 35 secs. I tried for several runs but still couldn't get my time under a minute. 

For PS Vita:

1. Final Fantasy X: I couldn't able to get 0.00 time in the chocobo racing. 

2. Dungeon Punks: Im playing only solo. Hard mode is indeed hard. I'm halfway into completing hard mode but there's this stage where wave of monsters are overwhelming.

3. Sky Force Anniversary: Still missing one star for the 100 stars. Its really hard to complete a stage in Nightmare where you destroy all enemies OR not to get hit.

For PS3:

1. Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late: I can't get the combo for certain characters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MegaZeroXX said:

I'll list down recent PS4 games that I played and wanted to get the platinum trophy but couldn't because I am still lacking the skill to finish them on higher difficulty level.

1. Final Fantasy 7 Remake: As I recall whenever I tried the Shinra VR mission I was always able to get to Bahamut. But unfortunately I always gets wiped out when Bahamut cast the spell. I know I will be able to beat this eventually.

2. Darksiders 3: Apocalyptic Mode is so punishing. I lost the drive to progress the game because even normal mobs is very hard to defeat (what more when I reached the Sins battle). So have parked the game and move on to other games.

3. Titanfall 2: I couldn't get the under 35 secs. I tried for several runs but still couldn't get my time under a minute. 

For PS Vita:

1. Final Fantasy X: I couldn't able to get 0.00 time in the chocobo racing. 

2. Dungeon Punks: Im playing only solo. Hard mode is indeed hard. I'm halfway into completing hard mode but there's this stage where wave of monsters are overwhelming.

3. Sky Force Anniversary: Still missing one star for the 100 stars. Its really hard to complete a stage in Nightmare where you destroy all enemies OR not to get hit.

For PS3:

1. Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late: I can't get the combo for certain characters.

I remember the one for titanfall 2.. Must of taken me around 2 hours to finally get that trophy, it can be a pain. 

Trackmania Turbo would be a sick plat, it's easily the most pure skill based thing on my list. It's just a very direct, no nonsense arcade challenge. The usual reasons I don't plat something like finicky online trophies, annoying collectibles, missables, silly tasks unrelated to the core gameplay loop, "absence of checkpoint challenges" (which I don't consider a pure test of actual gameplay skill); none of that is there. Pretty much all it asks of you on the most basic level is "don't crash lol". But it's so fast paced and precise I'm not good enough to do that consistently on the hardest levels, to get the required Gold/Trackmaster times. But the game is always there just waiting for me to finish it if I ever decide to git gud. I have a respect for those kinda of games where the plat from scratch could take 20 hours or 2000 hours depending on the starting skill level of someone.

Edited by kaluna1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, kaluna1 said:

Trackmania Turbo would be a sick plat, it's easily the most pure skill based thing on my list. It's just a very direct, no nonsense arcade challenge. The usual reasons I don't plat something like finicky online trophies, annoying collectibles, missables, silly tasks unrelated to the core gameplay loop, "absence of checkpoint challenges" (which I don't consider a pure test of actual gameplay skill); none of that is there. Pretty much all it asks of you on the most basic level is "don't crash lol". But it's so fast paced and precise I'm not good enough to do that consistently on the hardest levels, to get the required Gold/Trackmaster times. But the game is always there just waiting for me to finish it if I ever decide to git gud. I have a respect for those kinda of games where the plat from scratch could take 20 hours or 2000 hours depending on the starting skill level of someone.

Oh I'm right there with you, I love the Trackmania games on PC and picked up Turbo because I wanted to check it out. I still haven't put the disc in yet. But I watched a ESA speedrun of All Flags any% and my goodness it looked hard. and it was being played by one of the players who set some of the trackmaster times and they couldn't even beat themselves like omg. the speedrun is like 4 hours long and it's great! I really want that plat too but I don't know if I could do it. Maybe I'll try it out over the Christmas break.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Draps-1337 said:

Oh I'm right there with you, I love the Trackmania games on PC and picked up Turbo because I wanted to check it out. I still haven't put the disc in yet. But I watched a ESA speedrun of All Flags any% and my goodness it looked hard. and it was being played by one of the players who set some of the trackmaster times and they couldn't even beat themselves like omg. the speedrun is like 4 hours long and it's great! I really want that plat too but I don't know if I could do it. Maybe I'll try it out over the Christmas break.

I played it when it was on PS+, like most people in that position it was my first Trackmania game. I think I got further than most people in that position, but could not even unlock the final tracks since they required Gold on everything else. After playing it myself I watched a Trackmania pro/series veteran play Turbo for the first time, and of course he aced everything eventually. But what stuck out to me was that even a Trackmania pro struggled to finish the basic campaign at times. I doubt you could say that about any other series, "Long time series veteran and pro player struggles in the latest games single player campaign mode". It's just that much harder than your average video game "campaign", even all the Souls games don't even come close in actual mechanical skill required, their respective series plat % on here is a testament to that.

Good luck with Turbo plat, you might have a better chance than me with your previous series experience.

Edited by kaluna1
  • Like 2

There are quite a few games that I want to platinum of course, especially on my PS3. However I know the one that I really want badly is Destiny (the first one). Three times have I gotten a boosting session going with other players to get a raid started, but they always kick me out because "My light level is too low". BS considering how much hours I've played that game (probably over 150 hours).  The fact that it was one of the first PS4 game that I got, and one of my favorite makes me annoyed that I've never completed a Raid. 

...And probably will never get the Flawless Raider trophy either.

• Like 1