PSN Profiles: Please display PS5 games as rectangles

1 minute ago, Potent_Delusions said:

So how come Exophase is able to do it? Not meaning that passive aggressively but as a serious question. Their tiles are rectangular and normal. 

They seem to use completely different images. See AC Valhalla as an example. Only they might know where they get that from if Sly is just displaying what the API provides.

Yo23wsW.png j4UbhS0.png 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, woggly4 said:

They seem to use completely different images. See AC Valhalla as an example. Only they might know where they get that from if Sly is just displaying what the API provides.

Yo23wsW.png j4UbhS0.png 

Way prefer the Exophase ones. PSNP ones look terrible. I'm not technically minded at all so I wouldn't have a clue how the sourcing of these images work. Thanks anyway.

EDIT for clarification: way prefer the look of PSNP overall, just not the ps5 tiles. Hopefully Sly will change them or give the option to choose.

Edited by Potent_Delusions
  • Like 3

Dumb question, but is there an official square and rectangle version of the Trophy Group icon in the backend for each PS5 trophy pack? For example, it shows the square version when you view the trophy list on PS5, but it will show the rectangle version when you view the PS5 trophy list on your PS4/PS3/PSVita? In that case, developers would have to make both trophy group icons when creating the trophy pack file? (Avatars work in a similar way where the developer has to upload six different resolutions so they can be viewed on PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4 and PS5). 

If so, is that how Exophase is getting the rectangle ones, and the square ones are just default at the current API endpoint or show up first in the payload.

• Like 1

There is not much to do, PS5 have those square images and those are the ones that must be used in this site, since they are official. But clearly something bust be done on the UI of this site, the current situation is atrocious.

Exophase example is also poor, they are resizing the images.

The Original:

L94b503.png

Exophase model:

d8bbb.png?1604805572

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Sly mentioned to us he was looking into either using square images for all games using the images from the PlayStation Store, or switching to rectangular images for the PS5 games like all the other games use, but it may take a little while before he figures out which and puts it in place

Thanks for the heads up. I imagine also making sure the site fully works with the PS5 is his main concern currently.

Edited by MidnightDragon

19 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Sly mentioned to us he was looking into either using square images for all games using the images from the PlayStation Store, or switching to rectangular images for the PS5 games like all the other games use, but it may take a little while before he figures out which and puts it in place

Thanks for the info, bad move from Sony

• Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, fbdbh said:

The site is about providing a quick, searchable overview of the user’s gaming history - this is undermined the moment when entries are displayed inconsistently, even if it’s just a slight aesthetical / psychological hitch. So yeah, I think it’s quite important to consider coming up with a solution, the shape doesn’t matter - consistency and UX do.

Agreed. They need to be small, I like the small rectangles PS3/PS4/Vita games share and they load seamlessly with no issues on my computer.

Having bigger sizes for PS5 games means you have to scroll down more, and the result is a mess of games with much wasted space.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Salt_AU said:

Square, rectangle, circle, triangle, hexagonal.  From a graphic design standpoint they need to be the same.

Same size specifically. I don't want big images making my profile look like shit. Right now those PS5 games look very inconsistent.

• Like 2