Uh oh.. PS5 already is having problems.

The_Mighty_Ducks

These kind of reports pop up around the launch of most if not all consoles. Early shipments are bound to have more defective models and will get more attention because everyone was already talking about the launch of the system beforehand. 

One should keep in mind however, that these kinds of issues are still quite rare even at launch. There are a lot of good arguments against buying at launch but fear of getting a defective model isn’t one of them.

anytime you buy any electronic device there is a early fail rate associated with it.  There is no piece of electronic equipment immune to the possibility of failure at any given time.  This isn't even news its more along the lines of click bait.  Alot of youtubers have been headlining videos with negative remarks about the new console and then when you watch the video it has nothing to do with what you even think it does.  These youtubers are shit they make shit content yet because of their scare tactics they have more views than real news worthy videos.  Recognize these videos make a mental note and never watch them again.  Not saying that is what this particular video is it may very well be a legitimate bad console but many times they are made up to get views.

All these issues and questionable decisions coming from Sony, and a "review" PS5 breaks. Who would of thunk?

Sony has their head so far up their ass right now it's not even funny. My standards are to not buy a console on launch, but rather wait until there is a bigger selection and updates are made to make the system run better.

Sorry for the guy who made the video. I guess it's 2006 all over again with both the PS3 and Xbox 360 having a series of issues in regards to reliability.

Considering the ps5 is pretty much everywhere sold out, what happens if my brand new ps5 really has some hardware flaw? Do you think sony has some hardware in stock for replacements or would I need to wait for the next batch?
This is of course pure theoretic. Since my first NES I Never had issues with my hardware.

Edited by Ranari_Kai

Have bought all consoles at launch since PS1 including hand helds and VR and haven’t had an issue with any of them. So yeah no worries hear. Side note - My PS5 has been sitting at local FedEx since last Friday and driving me crazy... 1 mote day 

The actual numbers reported for failures at launch are usually around 3% to 5% by the companies themselves. One thing to keep in mind with that number though...is they have the power to report anything they want within reason because they set the definitions for "failure". The numbers for this are often fairly close to actualized numbers. They will however always report low just like everybody in prison is "innocent".

Companies like SquareTrade offer their numbers too on failure rates..because it's their business to make projections on failures vs. insurance buyers...and that's essentially how they make their money. They always report higher than the companies themselves...but again...it isn't an accurate picture especially because people that have insurance on consoles may not be as careful in the way they're handled...especially knowing as a parent you can set it up...walk away...and if little Johnny wings the system out the window on an epic Call of Duty rant...they can always return it and get a brand new one. Some people will even use these insurances to replace a completely fine unit with a newer model or a different color. It's not always about breakage.

It's unfortunate that this happened in the case of ACG...but I wouldn't be all that concerned about your unit...because it's most likely the case that your day 1 system will still be running strong in 5 years. I don't buy day one because that's the time all releases of electronics are going to have their problems...but it's not in the companies best interest in the market to release a dud. Most day one units are absolutely fine.

tl:dr There is a very strong chance that your system will be just fine. Just relax and breathe. Everything is going to turn out o.k.

• Like 1

This isn't some scare tactic like that stupid smoke coming out of the XSX or the PS5 is overheating when it was in a shitty enclosed space. Both Playstation and Xbox learned from their past and engineered the shit out of the hardware to make sure there's no overheating and noise issues.

This actually sounds like someone fucked up a line of code lol. 

I'm just waiting till everybody gets their PS5 tonight to see if this is true. And to see if the error only appears with Spiderman Miles Morales game or with any other PS5 games. 

Edited by The_Mighty_Ducks

There's always gonna be defective units at launch. However I don't know if I'm just lucky but every single console I bought at launch still works today. I'm still waiting for my PS5 to be delivered, hopefully no problems with the one I receive. Miles Morales and Demon's Souls just got delivered to my home 20 minutes ago. The wait is excruciating lol.

For me it's more monetary.  I bought my 360 pro new in 2008. 2 years later it red-ringed.  I bought my PS3 slim new in 2010.  3 years later the disc drive stopped reading discs.  A year after that the HDD failed.  I bought my PS4 slim new in 2017.  The disc drive made a loud crunching sound the first day when taking in or ejecting a disc and I immediately returned it and got a new one.  2 years later the disc drive stopped reading discs (just like my PS3).

I figure at this point my luck with consoles is always going to be bad, so might as well wait and pay a lot less than a launch console, since it's going to break anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EIdain said:

Seen a few cases where peoples Xbox Series X's aren't accepting discs properly or when reading a disc the console makes a loud noise. That would concern me a lot more.

You know it's something to think about when it's even being reported on big name blogs like Polygon.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/11/21560233/xbox-series-x-disk-drive-sounds-inserting-game-issues-microsoft

Not that I trust them or Kotaku or PushSquare or any other further than I can spit, and granted I haven't actively gone looking for them, but I haven't seen any claims of faulty hardware outside this one instance so far.

14 hours ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

Anyone have more info on this? 

I'm wondering when they're going to send an update to fix this issue. 

"Your storage is corrupted" 

Man lol this is why I never buy launch consoles.

EDIT: THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE. 

not a hardware issue? so its a software problem?

5 hours ago, EIdain said:

Seen a few cases where peoples Xbox Series X's aren't accepting discs properly or when reading a disc the console makes a loud noise. That would concern me a lot more.

Hopefully there's no more issues for either console.

From the 20+ people I know with Xbox Series X's (including some sent in preview), I don't know a single person with this issue. Probably pretty isolated cases. 

Edited by PhantomFear94