Guide of the Year Awards 2020 Nominations & Voting

Dreggit

Gameplay: Persona 5 Royal 5 - Confidants Guide and Yakuza Kiwami - Perfectionist Guide

Walkthrough: Tales of Graces F - Walkthrough Guide and Persona 4 Golden - Platinum Walkthrough 

Niche: Overcooked  & Jotun

DLC: Drive Club &  Dmc 

Formatting: Cold Steel 4 & Divinity Orginal Sin 2 - Tactician and Honour Mode Walk.

Import: Million Arthur and Project Diva Future Tone DX

Original Content: Cold Steel 4 & Persona 5 Royal 

Guide of the year: Trails of Cold Steel 4

Good luck to everyone nominated this year and thank you all for the guides 

Edited by Burek_san
missing 1 vote for Gameplay and Walkthrough
  • Like 3

The Nominees

Gameplay:

Persona 5 Royal - Confidants Guide

Shovel Knight- Spector of Torment - All Collectible Locations

Walkthrough

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Overall Walkthrough

Demon's Souls - Full Trophy Walkthrough

Niche

Children of Morta Trophy Guide

Moonlighter Trophy Guide

DLC

Kingdom Hearts III - reMind DLC Trophy Guide

The Binding of Isaac Rebirth - The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ DLC Trophy Guide

Formatting

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Overall Walkthrough

Harvest Moon: Light of Hope Trophy Guide

Imported

BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Trophy Guide

真・女神転生 III NOCTURNE HD REMASTER Trophy Guide

Original Content

Persona 5: Royal Trophy Guide

Trails of Cold Steel IV Overall Walkthrough

GOTY: Trails of Cold Steel IV Overall Walkthrough

• Like 3

Gameplay: Crash Bandicoot 4 and Yakuza Kiwami

Walkthrough: Trails of Cold Steel 4 (and my GOTY because holy crap) and Tales of Graces F

Niche: Children of Morta and Moonlighter

DLC: Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Kingdom Hearts 3

Formatting: Harvest Moon and Jotun

Imported: BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Trophy Guide and Million Arthur: Arcana Blood Trophy Guide

Original Content: House Flipper and Creaks

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I don't think I used a single guide I've voted for (yet). The only things I based my decisions on were if the guide looks like it was a pain in the butt to create or it just fits the category very well after a quick scroll-through. And... well, I'll admit it... for 2 categories I used random.org because I had no idea what to base my selection on.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Void said:

i think the previous way was better. as i have not used any of the listed guides i will refrain from voting.

15 hours ago, eigen-space said:

I agree. I don't like to vote for things that I haven't personally used because I can't speak to their accuracy or helpfulness.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I don't think I used a single guide I've voted for (yet). The only things I based my decisions on were if the guide looks like it was a pain in the butt to create or it just fits the category very well after a quick scroll-through. And... well, I'll admit it... for 2 categories I used random.org because I had no idea what to base my selection on.

The way the voting rules are set up is a double edged sword. On one side, it appears that an attempt was made to highlight guides of general higher quality over the community selecting nominations based on guides that they know exist or used (which would most likely result in the most community known titles). This way, the guide team itself can review each guide on the site regardless of popularity or previous experience using it and choose what they deem as higher quality guides regardless of popularity. Yet the exact same thing can still happen with voting as there's nothing stopping people from either refraining from voting due to not having used any of these guides, randomly choosing guides as the person above me stated, or voting for only the ones that they have personally used. It shouldn't matter if you have used any of the guides personally or used all of them. What matters is for people to review each of the guides and create their own opinion as to which one meets each requirement best in their eyes if they decide to participate. Not that this would ever happen but it's a nice thought. 

Regardless, I will be posting my votes closer to the deadline as it gives me time to read through each of them. Congratulations to everyone that was selected and good luck!

Edited by ChaoticDoomOfBob
  • Like 2

Gameplay: 1.Grand Theft Auto III - 100% / Is That All You've Got? Trophy Guide (GOTY) 2.Amnesia: Rebirth - Collectible Guide 3.Crash Bandicoot 4: It's about time - Collectibles guide.

Walkthrough: 1.Persona 5 Royal - Confidants Guide 2.The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV: Overall Walkthrough 3.Demon's Souls - Full Trophy Walkthrough (GOTY).

Niche: 1.Jotun Trophy Guide2.Subnautica Trophy Guide 3. I Am Bread Trophy Guide(GOTY).

DLC:  1. The Binding Of Isaac Rebirth - Aftermath+ DLC Trophy Guide (GOTY)2. Call Of Duty: Black Ops II - Vengeance DLC Trophy Guide 3.Kingdom Come: Deliverance -  A Woman's Lot DLC Trophy Guide.

Formatting: 1. The Last Of Us Trophy Guide (GOTY) 2.Doom Eternal Trophy Guide 3.Shenmue III Trophy Guide.

Imported: 1.真・女神転生 III NOCTURNE HD REMASTER Trophy Guide (GOTY) 2.BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Trophy Guide 3.Million Arthur: Arcana Blood Trophy Guide.

Original Content: 1.Amnesia: Rebirth Trophy Guide 2.Children Of Morta Trophy Guide 3.Persona 5:Royal Trophy Guide (GOTY).

Hope this helps!!! Thanks for everything you guys have done.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Velvet said:

#2: Moonlighter

Starting to feel like a broken record, but this guide is just clean. I'm a sucker for tables. let alone when a guide provides GFX to breakup the text and add a little pizzazz to everything. As one of the more difficult Indies out there, you did a great job explaining how to do what feels like the impossible. Just a great job all around. 

I just have to say hearing those words is an absolute joy. I put a lot of effort into Moonlighter's guide to make sure everything was as perfect as could be & probably spent a good few hours in photoshop making all the GFX look as good as I possibly could. I never expected to get nominated & I'm overjoyed that I have been & that so many people have enjoyed my guide. It's words like these in particular that let me know I'm doing the right thing & all my effort is reflecting onto the players that I made the guide for in the first place.

• Like 4

Dang, feelsbadman.jpg that my Superhot VR guide didn't get nominated under "niche" considering how niche VR is :( oh well, good luck to everyone! 

Wait . . . in fact, there isn't even a single VR guide nominated, which is a shame that VR gets that overlooked by the guide team here. Not having a category I guess one could understand, but not one VR guide up for nomination? Come on y'all that really sucks and feels like a slight / oversight to the VR community. 

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Dang, feelsbadman.jpg that my Superhot VR guide didn't get nominated under "niche" considering how niche VR is :( oh well, good luck to everyone! 

Wait . . . in fact, there isn't even a single VR guide nominated, which is a shame that VR gets that overlooked by the guide team here. Not having a category I guess one could understand, but not one VR guide up for nomination? Come on y'all that really sucks and feels like a slight / oversight to the VR community. 

I absolutely agree. Loved your SuperHot VR guide (even though I had it platinumed before it came out :() I really think in the future they should have a category for VR game guides since they have a whole section dedicated to imported games, for example. A lot of effort goes into VR guides but sadly a lot of them get over looked (I've written a few myself). The same thing happened last year as well

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

I absolutely agree. Loved your SuperHot VR guide (even though I had it platinumed before it came out :() I really think in the future they should have a category for VR game guides since they have a whole section dedicated to imported games, for example. A lot of effort goes into VR guides but sadly a lot of them get over looked (I've written a few myself). The same thing happened last year as well

Hey, thanks!!! That is a shame, really grinds my gears a bit considering that the VR community is strong and well (past 5 million units sold last year). Same to you for you Saints & Sinners guide! It was a fun one to read through, excellent job as well on it :)

I agree a lot of work goes into the VR guides and often it is more difficult to make due to VR being hard to show what you need to do sometimes. It seems like only the "big and popular" titles got the nod. I'm sad but not surprised this happened last year since VR guides do not get as much attention, but that doesn't mean they still aren't quality guides. 

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Velvet said:

#1: Troll and I

Just an overall great collectible guide. The images could be a smidgen bigger, but then again, I'm blind as a bat so that might just be a personal preference. The author still made an effort to highlight/circle everything needed in each of the images making it even easier to read. Just a great use of the table-system on here. Well done =]

Thank you! 

Honestly, I was pretty amazed with my guide being nominated (this badge looks really awesome). I've wrote this guide simply because I couldn't find any other in-depth collectible guide for this game. I picked up Troll and I on some sale, thinking it's going to be fun co-op experience with a relatively enjoyable plat (I am sucker for local co-op games). Oh boy, I was so wrong. It was janky and unresponsive most of the time, so platting this game was far from enjoyable. The game wasn't popular as well, so I started losing interest in writing this guide, but then I thought to myself "screw it, I'll be happy if there will be at least 1 person on earth, that finds my guide useful". 

So I am really happy that my work was appreciated :) congrats to all other participants! 

Edited by Trindave
  • Like 1

What an absolute honor to be nominated, you guys rock!! I very much enjoy making guides on this site, so I hope it shows in my work. I have also used quite a number of the guides being nominated in here, so a big hearty thank you to everyone who took the time to do so ? Here are my choices:

Gameplay: Crash Bandicoot 4 & Shovel Knight: Spectre of Torment

Walkthrough: Demon's Souls and Warframe

Niche: Children of Morta and I am Bread

DLC: Dead by Daylight: Silent Hill chapter and The Binding of Isaace Rebirth: Afterbirth+

Formatting: Harvest Moon and Jotun

Import: Million Arthur: Arcana Blood and Project Diva Future Tone DX

Original: Children of Morta and Jotun

As for GOTY, I would love to choose I am Bread! I took on that challenging game last year and probably would not have made it as far as I did without SlimSanta94's stellar guide! 

As always, keep up the fantastic work everyone! Very glad to be a part of this phenomenal group on PSNP!

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 1

It feels a little disingenuous for me to vote on guides that I haven't really used, I definitely prefer the old way as I feel like a lot of incredible guides have been overlooked.

That being said I spent some time looking over some of the guides to be able to make at least a couple of nominations

Gameplay

Persona 5 Royal Confidants Guide

Crash Bandicoot 4:  It's About Time Full Collectibles Guide

Walkthrough

Persona 4 Golden Platinum Walkthrough

Tales of Graces F Walkthrough Guide

Niche

Jotun Trophy Guide

I Am Bread Trophy Guide

DLC

Kingdom Hearts 3 reMind DLC Trophy Guide

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark DLC Maps and Monsters DLC Trophy Guide

Formatting

Divinity Original Sin 2 Trophy Guide

The Last of Us Part II Trophy Guide

Imported

Project Diva Future Tone DX Trophy Guide

Blazblue: Chronophantasma Trophy Guide

Original Content

Jotun Trophy Guide

Guide of the Year

Persona 4 Golden Platinum Walkthrough

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

Congratulations to all the nominees and I’m hoping to make full use of them when I get around to em. I also want to give a shoutout to @Beyondthegrave07 for everything. It was fun doing the guide(s) with you, hope to do some more down the line. Also wanna shoutout @Copanele and @Mikel. Thanks again Guide Team for everything and I hope at least one of my GOTY nominations wins it.

Thank you for the shout-out! No one knows more than me how hard you work on guides, and I'm grateful for it. We had some good times boosting, capturing some footage, and testing for sure, and I look forward to collaborating again sometime! :)

• Like 3

GOTY

• Harvest Moon: Light of Hope Trophy Guide

Gameplay

• Grand Theft Auto III - 100% / Is That all You've Got? Trophy Guide

• Persona 5 Royal - Confidants Guide

Walkthrough

• Persona 4 Golden - Platinum Walkthrough
  • Warframe - The Complete Trophy Guide

Niche:

• Moonlighter Trophy Guide
  • Subnautica Trophy Guide

DLC 

• Kingdom Hearts III - reMind DLC Trophy Guide

• Minecraft - Expansion 11 DLC Trophy Guide

Formatting:

• Doom Eternal Trophy Guide

Imported:

• Million Arthur: Arcana Blood
  • BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Trophy Guide

Original Content:

• Persona 5 Royal
Edited by JNSpradlin
  • Like 3

Gameplay :   Dreams Prize Bubble Guide & Persona 5 Royal Confidants Guide

Walkthrough : Buried Stars & Tales of Graces F

Niche : Children of Morta & Subnautica

DLC : Kingdom Come Deliverance - A Woman's Lot & Fell Seal : Arbiter's Mark

Formatting : Divinity Original Sin 2 Trophy Guide & Divinity Original Sin 2 Tactician & Honour Mode Walkthrough

Imported : Million Arthur : Arcana Blood & Project Diva Future Tone DX

Original Content : Children of Morta & Tokyo Dark Remembrance

GOTY :  Children of Morta

• Like 2

Thanks for the badge on my Subnautica trophy guide, means a lot to get one on my first attempt. I nearly stopped writing it at one point because I wasn't sure if it was worth it, but I'll definitely be making more guides in the future now.

Gameplay
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time - Full Collectibles Guide
Troll and I - Collectible Guide

Walkthrough
Divinity Original Sin 2 - Tactician & Honour Mode Walkthrough
Persona 4 Golden - Platinum Walkthrough

Niche
Mortal Shell Trophy Guide
Moonlighter Trophy Guide

DLC
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - DLC Maps & Monsters DLC Trophy Guide
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - A Woman's Lot DLC Trophy Guide

Formatting
Harvest Moon: Light of Hope Trophy Guide
The Last of Us Part II Trophy Guide

Imported
初音ミク Project DIVA Future Tone DX Trophy Guide

真・女神転生 III NOCTURNE HD REMASTER Trophy Guide

Original Content
Persona 5: Royal Trophy Guide

Guide of the Year
Persona 4 Golden - Platinum Walkthrough

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Venocide said:

I'm absolutely ecstatic that my Persona 4 Golden guide got nominated ^^ took a year for me to make but it was so worth it, I've had so many people thank me over the last 10 months and it makes me so happy to be able to help so many people. Thanks to the people who voted for my guide so far, and good luck to all the other guide creators, all of them are phenomenal. I have to say, I'm absolutely thrilled to get that exceptionally high quality badge at the top my walkthrough. 

I think you got a fair chance of winning considering how many weeb- I mean RPG fans we got on here!

Shit posting aside, your guide was insane and I have been using it in my New Game Plus run so once my backlog clears up I look forward to finishing it!

7 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Hey, thanks!!! That is a shame, really grinds my gears a bit considering that the VR community is strong and well (past 5 million units sold last year). Same to you for you Saints & Sinners guide! It was a fun one to read through, excellent job as well on it :)

I agree a lot of work goes into the VR guides and often it is more difficult to make due to VR being hard to show what you need to do sometimes. It seems like only the "big and popular" titles got the nod. I'm sad but not surprised this happened last year since VR guides do not get as much attention, but that doesn't mean they still aren't quality guides. 

I’ve only made one VR guide and I can attest that it forces you to be way more empathetic to the reader when writing. I foolishly wrote in my original draft to play using a certain controller method only to be called out that my suggestion might lead to motion sickness. What feels comfortable for me might not for someone reading. Lots to consider there which makes writing guides for those types of games really impressive.

• Like 3

First of all, I'd like to thank the guide team tremendously for the nominations - got some big 'ole warm fuzzies seeing those "Exceptionally High Quality" stickers and can't wait to write more guides in the future - it's also a huge honor to see ours alongside so many amazing guides! <3

Anyway, my nominations:

Gameplay - Troll and I - Collectible Guide, Dreams - Prize Bubble Guide and Yakuza Kiwami - Perfectionist Guide

Walkthrough -  Warframe & Persona 4

Niche - Subnautica & Children of Morta

DLC - TBOI Afterbirth+ & Kingdom Hearts III

Formatting - The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV, Jotun, and Harvest Moon: Light of Hope

Imported - Million Arthur: Arcana Blood & 初音ミク Project DIVA Future Tone DX

Original Content - Creaks & Harvest Moon: Light of Hope

My pick for Guide of the Year: Warframe Complete Trophy Guide. It was tough settling on a guide of the year - even though I have never played Warframe, seeing (and practically smelling) the time and effort put into @ChaoticDoomOfBob's guide through 80+ trophies almost made me want to bury myself in the mountain of DLC trophies that game will put me in :D

Congrats to everyone who got nominated and happy hunting / writing!

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 10:51 PM, Void said:

As I have not used any of the listed guides I will refrain from voting.

Void hath spoken an honourable truth, to which I will abide. There's little or no point in taking part when I have a superficial outsider outlook: a guide's worth is all in its' usefulness, not creative flair or popularity of the game to which it comes attached to.

Plus, the voting system is flawed (very enjoyable, concise and brief exchange of blows by prosecutor BlackTorito and defendant ObsiEez) and why does only the Guide Writer's Guild élite get to vote? Is this a poll station or an oligarchic inbred orgy?

Anyways, I'm grateful for being included in this final draft. I only wrote those guides because there were none available elsewhere, whilst now we have them in the PSNp museum.

I know it isn't worth anything given how the voting system works, but shoutout and special commendation to @Kallume: your guide made me want to play D:OS2 even though it isn't a genre I appreciate at all. So, cheers man.

• Like 3