Last of us 3 story outline has been written

Thephoenixshow

3 hours ago, Alderriz said:

If this game ever happens, it won't be a prequel. And absolutely zero chance it will be set in Europe. 

Regardless, I don't even think that a prequel is even a good idea for Part 3. As much as I'd like to know what Joel and Tess had been doing before they met Ellie, this just sounds boring. Think about it. We already know they both survived, so you'll never be worried about them. We already know that Joel went through his biggest personal change in 20 years after he met Ellie, so we know his character developement won't compare to TLOU1. The story has to be personal and compelling. And the core idea has to take the center stage. Without that, all the exposition, lore, and worldbuilding will be meaningless. I'm sure it's possible to write something interesting, but personally, I can't think of an idea for a prequel that would be as captivating as, for example, trying to take revenge on a character that killed Joel.

A prequel setting would probably work better as a story DLC. But we know we're not getting that.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I already knew what was going to happen in the Left Behind DLC. It was a fantastic DLC regardless

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Strike-Runner said:

Thats the thing the only person who knew how to make a vaccine was Jerry he was like the Jesus of the apocalypse. It died with him there is no cure 

The problem is, throughout the story of TLOU 1, Fireflies are shown as idiots with guns, incapable of making good decisions or simply surviving. If it wasn't for the story needing them to do something, in the real-world they would have gone extinct before TLOU1 story begins. Like Marlene having to rely on some random smugglers to deliver possibly the most valuable person alive, or the "scientist" getting bitten by the infected monkeys? Or two fireflies seeing possibly a father trying to resuscitate a drowned kid and knocking him out unconscious? Not to mention the fact that when Ellie got to them, they haven't even tried to do a biopsy, to see if making a vaccine is possible in the first place. No, LETS KILL HER AND I, THE ZEBRA SAVING DOCTOR WILL SAVE THE WORLD. Yeaaah, even the Covid vaccine took over a year and dozens of scientists to be made. I can totally see them developing a vaccine from a single doze with their extraordinary accomplishments shown throughout the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

The problem is, throughout the story of TLOU 1, Fireflies are shown as idiots with guns, incapable of making good decisions or simply surviving. If it wasn't for the story needing them to do something, in the real-world they would have gone extinct before TLOU1 story begins. Like Marlene having to rely on some random smugglers to deliver possibly the most valuable person alive, or the "scientist" getting bitten by the infected monkeys? Or two fireflies seeing possibly a father trying to resuscitate a drowned kid and knocking him out unconscious? Not to mention the fact that when Ellie got to them, they haven't even tried to do a biopsy, to see if making a vaccine is possible in the first place. No, LETS KILL HER AND I, THE ZEBRA SAVING DOCTOR WILL SAVE THE WORLD. Yeaaah, even the Covid vaccine took over a year and dozens of scientists to be made. I can totally see them developing a vaccine from a single doze with their extraordinary accomplishments shown throughout the game.

In lou1 there was no good guys it was all about survival. even the fireflies were shitty people they were terrorist that were bombing what was left of the government protecting quarantine zones.

1 hour ago, JoaLoft said:

Abby: "Heeey Ellie!"

Ellie: "Heeeey Abs, wassuuuppp"
Abby: "Let's be besties yeahhh?"
Ellie: "Yeahh for sure sis"
Abby: "No hard feels for ya buddy Joel?"
Ellie: "Nah its cool"

Abby: "Sweet sweet, listen uhm do you mind lying down on this slab? Me and my friends are gonna cut you open and take out your brain, you know, for science and shit"
Ellie: "Cool, let's see uhh yeah I'm free right now, actually, got nothing planned soooo"
Abby: "Alright, we'll hang, cool"

*Cut open Ellie, kill her, deliver the cure, everything gets magically solved, butterflies and rainbows everywhere, Clickers fall dead spontaneously, instant world peace, herds of unicorns sweeping majestically across open meadows--*

Okay let me stop you right there. That plot outline of her giving up everything for a cure - that would not fix the world at all! - sounds terrible, throws all character development out the window and would be nothing less than spitting on Joel's memory. If that would be the actual plotline, I'd guess that Naughty Dog hired Craig Thomas and Carter Bays (*) to co-write such a stinky dumpster fire.

(*) The writers of the sitcom "How I Met Your Mother". The ending of that show was a trainwreck too, where they ignored all character development in favor of creating a very forced ending to make two characters end up together.

I didnt say it would have a peaceful ending.

1 hour ago, Alderriz said:

It was, though. The first game's story was entirely about Joel. The beginning is about how he loses a daughter. The middle is about how Ellie becomes a new daughter to him. The end is about what he does not to lose her too.

The focus shifted in the sequel. That's when the series was no longer about him.

Without Ellie there is no game.

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

Because business. We won't get a new IP purely because of the people who just can't get enough of both franchises and think they're the two greatest game series of all time and that deserve all the attention over new/buried IPs. Frankly, you really don't want a new Jak and Daxter game from this studio. Up until The Last of Us: Part II I was one of the few fans who believed they were still the best studio to handle the series right, especially in regards to technical designs, instead of those who just wanted it from them because "they're" the "creators" of the IP, but after seeing what they did in and with TLOU2, they went past a point of no return. I looked past the many controversial things they had started to do with Left Behind and all of their releases after that, despite the fact that it was evidently getting worse, but TLOU2 itself took everything to a whole different level than LB, U4, and UTTL ever did.

The series undoubtedly deserves to come back, especially since there are legitimately three separate storylines spread across the last three games that all ended on a cliffhanger. There's far more to do with the series than most people in opposition fail to realize and understand, buried potential that was never even acknowledged let alone utilized, and it can quite easily surpass Ratchet & Clank. The series can easily become this phenomenal hybrid or sorts of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Ratchet & Clank in one, all of which have been critically and commercially successful games on their own. 

For now I strongly recommend you look into this colorful, unique, and fun action-RPG coming out next month called Biomutant, which despite being made by an indie studio looks great. While the developer said it's structurally more akin to Breath of the Wild than Horizon Zero Dawn, they also went on to state one of the game's inspirations is Jak and Daxter, so that might be of interest to you for obvious reasons.

It's possible and so easy to say that in hindsight after the sequel, just like it is to say "the first game is about love", which was pioneered by Naughty Dog to help make force "Part II" feel like a necessary sequel (which it still isn't and never will be, especially after they already once said they'd prefer Joel and Ellie's story to just be confined in the first game around 2013), but TLOU was most definitely about Joel. A series doesn't need to be named after a character for it to be about them. The story structure is even more character-driven and personal than it is plot-driven.

Disagree. However rumor has it they have a new IP called Strays Cross. Time travel adventure.

If the 3rd game is anything like the 2nd game story wise, it will be a hard pass for me. And I really dislike this notion that if you hate on TLOU 2, then you’re sexist or you’re jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else, etc.

It is okay to dislike a game for legitimate reasons. ? Read that twice.

And I am a huge TLOU fan through and through, so much so that I still play the factions multiplayer for the game daily. But when the sequel game came out and basically tells the player, “hey man, you know all this stuff you just did to get to the end? Yeah well, it doesn’t fucking matter—the moral here is don’t hold grudges and move on” at the end, it’s like a huge slap in the face. You’d expect there to be some kind of payoff for them killing off such a beloved character so early on into the game. That’s quite shit if you ask me. And if you disagree, I’d like to know if you truly felt satisfied at the end of the game and why. 

This 3rd game’s story would really have to pull on my heartstrings and have some badass moments the way the 1st game did, bc everything felt so flat in the sequel. The only thing going for it is the gameplay, it was superb, but that’s the only thing I really had fun with up to a certain point. It also still baffles me that the game won so many awards when the story was damn near generic and tries to pass as some sort of groundbreaking emotional roller coaster, bc it isn’t. If the 3rd game has anything to do with Abby or some other bland, one dimensional character, I’ll probably just watch videos of the cutscenes and call it a day. 

And to whoever said TLOU isn’t about Joel, he is definitely a crucial part of the series, especially when the 1st game literally focuses on the bond he creates with Ellie throughout the course of their journey. That’s like saying Uncharted isn’t about Nathan Drake. And I’m sure everyone thought the 2nd game was going to touch on that bond we saw even further, not sever it.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 6:09 PM, SuperSmexy500 said:

I enjoyed the first Last of Us, felt it was kinda overrated but that's just about every modern Naughty Dog game in my eyes. Didn't feel like it needed a sequel and didn't really understand why they made one (aside from $$$ of course), haven't gotten around to that one yet. And now a potential third game... Can't help feeling they're just milking the series at this point. I'd even take a new Uncharted over this, even though I found 4 disappointing.

I just hope this series doesn't go on for too long, to the point where whatever the last games might be end up disappointing just about everyone. I always kind of prefer it when a game series ends on a high note, rather than dragging on and on, and ultimately not even really feeling like what made the games enjoyable to begin with.

Couldn't have said it any better.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, SuperSmexy500 said:

I enjoyed the first Last of Us, felt it was kinda overrated but that's just about every modern Naughty Dog game in my eyes. Didn't feel like it needed a sequel and didn't really understand why they made one (aside from $$$ of course), haven't gotten around to that one yet. And now a potential third game... Can't help feeling they're just milking the series at this point. I'd even take a new Uncharted over this, even though I found 4 disappointing.

I just hope this series doesn't go on for too long, to the point where whatever the last games might be end up disappointing just about everyone. I always kind of prefer it when a game series ends on a high note, rather than dragging on and on, and ultimately not even really feeling like what made the games enjoyable to begin with.

I agree they didn't need a sequel to the first game you're 100% right. But I don't think they are milking it but a fourth one maybe and I do agree with you that it shouldn't keep dragging on and on and it should end on a high note.   But IMO they aren't overrated these were the few games I actually felt the story and all the characters emotions. My favourite series are : Bioshock, Last of us and uncharted. Just saying not trying to start a problem but you have some fantastic points as well.

I'd rather they start a new IP other than TLOU or Uncharted after the TLOU remake. Something that isn't a third person shooter/survival would be refreshing. Personally didnt like Part II, so if they really are gonna milk TLOU as much as they can I'd rather they have the third game as separate from the other two, with a set of new characters on a different part of the world. If there's one thing I was intrigued about the world of TLOU it's how the rest of the world has coped with the outbreak. 

4 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

Having Ellie give up her life after everything that transpired in the first two games for a potential cure, would make Joel's sacrifice and death utterly pointless.

Joel's actions stemmed from showing Ellie she has plenty of reasons to live for. Words that ring true, now that she found Dina, and helps to raise the baby.

If we're ever seeing a Part III, then I might hope this will be the potential plot: Abby reunites with the Fireflies. They resume their plans to collect Ellie and take out her brain for research. As they track her down and kidnap her, things go completely awry and something terrible happens to Dina or the baby in the process, leaving Ellie completely distraught as she's kidnapped. Abby comes to the realization that they've pushed things too far, that the idea of the potential cure is not worth all this pain they're inflicting.  Abby has always been an intricate part of this herd mentality and now that she's gotten an external perspective (starting with Lev in TLOU2), her vision on the whole plan changes. The Fireflies disagree and a rift starts to occur between both her and the faction. To the point where the Fireflies cling persistently to their ideology, and Abby's conscience finally kicks in fully, where she turns against the Fireflies, frees Ellie and teams up with her to take them out permanently.

Because that's what the Fireflies still are and always have been: not a bunch of do-gooders. They're just another faction vying for power, and using the cure as a bargaining chip. Because developing the cure would not magically save everything: that's not how it works in a post-apocalyptic world, and this is not a fairytale of heroes and villains. It never has been. The world from before is too far gone and the Fireflies' ideology is just as flawed as everything else.

Not only would this storyline redeem Abby's character completely, but you'd get to see these two women finally find each other on the same page and finish what Joel started, it would tie up all the loose ends of the overall TLOU story and you'd end an award-winning trilogy on a big bang, having Abby sacrifice herself at the end saving Ellie as they've bonded over the course of the third and final entry.

If that would be the plotline for The Last of Us: Part III, I'm absolutely down to play it.

Good idea!!! That would actually make a good story and ending.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:50 AM, HaserPL said:

Basically- 

---

To the quote:

Naughty Dog apparently tried to remedy some of this by retconning the events from the first game by giving the formerly unnamed surgeon NPC, Jerry, different colored, more medically professional scrubs and a more "convincing", more detailed medical environment for the operation, to make him look more medically professional and like he knew what he was doing. Throughout TLOU2's story they also use the word "cure" more often, including in important scenes (Joel's talk with Tommy, Joel's lie reveal scene, and stupidly the confrontation scene at the theater, to name some) knowing 1. it and vaccine are two completely different things and 2. he was not going to develop a cure, of all things. Obviously part of this was done to portray worse (than he actually was), just like the other retconned event in Joel now having killed all the doctors, even if your save file and memory says otherwise. These subjects have clearly aged poorly, and TLOU2's also inconsistent writing didn't fix it.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:57 AM, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Without Ellie there is no game.

Disagree. However rumor has it they have a new IP called Strays Cross. Time travel adventure.

Obviously. She's a main part of the story. Without Joel there'd have been no game, either. Without Tripp there'd be no Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Without Clementine there'd be no The Walking Dead. Etc.

You could have removed the portion of my post that was for another poster and just quoted the section that's relevant to yours, btw. There's way too many different rumors on projects they're working on that just isn't feasible for their single studio. There's already been confirmation of TLOUII Factions, and the next generation upgrade to TLOUII (which is taking way longer than it should, especially considering virtually every other major first party title already received one: DG, GoW, MSM, GoT, HZD via PC, etc) is inevitable, but then an Abby centric DLC for TLOUII, TLOU remake, a new IP, even if all in pre-production, and while not directly working on it but supervising Uncharted from another studio? Can't believe it.

Edited by EcoShifter

1 hour ago, mumik08 said:

I agree they didn't need a sequel to the first game you're 100% right. But I don't think they are milking it but a fourth one maybe and I do agree with you that it shouldn't keep dragging on and on and it should end on a high note.   But IMO they aren't overrated these were the few games I actually felt the story and all the characters emotions. My favourite series are : Bioshock, Last of us and uncharted. Just saying not trying to start a problem but you have some fantastic points as well.

Assuming the rumours of them remaking the first game are also true, I do think the series is just giant dollar signs in Sony's eyes now sadly. It's not surprising given the success of the series so far, and how well Last of Us 2 did. Doesn't mean the games can't still be good, but it's usually never a good sign when a series starts to essentially just become a cash cow. I'm still hopeful for the series' future, but I'm just cynical as I've seen far too many game series become duller and less enjoyable as they go along, you can sometimes even just kinda feel the developers don't really even care any more, they're just doing it for money or pure obligation at this point rather than having strong passion and love for the game they're creating. I rag on it a lot, but modern Pokemon games are a great example of this.

5 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Assuming the rumours of them remaking the first game are also true, I do think the series is just giant dollar signs in Sony's eyes now sadly. It's not surprising given the success of the series so far, and how well Last of Us 2 did. Doesn't mean the games can't still be good, but it's usually never a good sign when a series starts to essentially just become a cash cow. I'm still hopeful for the series' future, but I'm just cynical as I've seen far too many game series become duller and less enjoyable as they go along, you can sometimes even just kinda feel the developers don't really even care any more, they're just doing it for money or pure obligation at this point rather than having strong passion and love for the game they're creating. I rag on it a lot, but modern Pokemon games are a great example of this.

My bad I forgot the remake yeah at this point they're just milking it. They gave away uncharted 1-4 and last of us the only naught dog games of these 2 franchises they have yet to give are uncharted lost legacy (It will probably happen someday) and last of us 2 (expect to wait at least 3-4 years for this to come to PS plus) I'm probably not going to buy the remake it's pretty much pointless. Yeah they're probably going to remaster or remake TLOU 2 5 years later.

5 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

For now I strongly recommend you look into this colorful, unique, and fun action-RPG coming out next month called Biomutant, which despite being made by an indie studio looks great. While the developer said it's structurally more akin to Breath of the Wild than Horizon Zero Dawn, they also went on to state one of the game's inspirations is Jak and Daxter, so that might be of interest to you for obvious reasons.

It looks interesting actually! I also loved Horizon Zero Dawn, so this is gonna be something I keep in the backlog for when I can get to it. If Naughty Dog doesn't want to make another Jak and Daxter game, then time for me to look elsewhere for it :)

On 2021-04-28 at 8:46 PM, Gildo1993 said:

I think there's a big difference between not liking a game and thinking it is overrated. TLoU clearly isn't overrated. It may not be to everyone's liking, but it simply isn't an overrated game. It is a high quality game in many, many aspects.

I, for instance, dislike The Witcher 3. It feels like a very boring and repetitive game to me. But overrated? I really don't think it is, despite not being to my liking.

I don’t think it’s overrated in all areas, mainly just the writing & characters. Which to some extent I think is phenomenal.

I know the voice acting, animation, environments, performance, etc is all top notch, 8 years later too.

I don’t mean the game as a whole is overrated.

• Like 1

If they make a sequel and it primarily focuses on Ellie, I probably won't play it; after the Last of Us 2 I'm fairly sick of her as a character. It depends; maybe as a 15$ game a few years after launch, but I really have no motivation to go through anything akin to the Last of Us 2 again - I think it was fantastically written, it was just emotionally exhausting to play through. If they do a new set of characters, I'd be more eager to play it; I would gladly play a game following Abby & the fireflies, but I highly doubt they'd do anything like that with how much people hated her.

Almost guaranteed we get a part 3 though, I think; Sony isn't going to let one of its most profitable franchises die in a ditch.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I would gladly play a game following Abby & the fireflies, but I highly doubt they'd do anything like that with how much people hated her.

As much as some people don't want to hear it, The Last of Us Part II is the most awarded game in history and it sold like hot cakes. I don't think Sony has reason to stop believing in Neil Druckmann's and Halley Gross' creative vision just yet.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:33 AM, HoorayForTyler said:

If the 3rd game is anything like the 2nd game story wise, it will be a hard pass for me. And I really dislike this notion that if you hate on TLOU 2, then you’re sexist or you’re jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else, etc.

It is okay to dislike a game for legitimate reasons. 1f448.png Read that twice.

And I am a huge TLOU fan through and through, so much so that I still play the factions multiplayer for the game daily. But when the sequel game came out and basically tells the player, “hey man, you know all this stuff you just did to get to the end? Yeah well, it doesn’t fucking matter—the moral here is don’t hold grudges and move on” at the end, it’s like a huge slap in the face. You’d expect there to be some kind of payoff for them killing off such a beloved character so early on into the game. That’s quite shit if you ask me. And if you disagree, I’d like to know if you truly felt satisfied at the end of the game and why. 

This 3rd game’s story would really have to pull on my heartstrings and have some badass moments the way the 1st game did, bc everything felt so flat in the sequel. The only thing going for it is the gameplay, it was superb, but that’s the only thing I really had fun with up to a certain point. It also still baffles me that the game won so many awards when the story was damn near generic and tries to pass as some sort of groundbreaking emotional roller coaster, bc it isn’t. If the 3rd game has anything to do with Abby or some other bland, one dimensional character, I’ll probably just watch videos of the cutscenes and call it a day. 

And to whoever said TLOU isn’t about Joel, he is definitely a crucial part of the series, especially when the 1st game literally focuses on the bond he creates with Ellie throughout the course of their journey. That’s like saying Uncharted isn’t about Nathan Drake. And I’m sure everyone thought the 2nd game was going to touch on that bond we saw even further, not sever it.

Last of us part II is about

Abby revenge is good and Ellie revenge is bad 

They make you see abby pat dogs while ellie kills dogs

it had to much political message as well so i hope the 3rd one can redeem itself from last of us part II

Edited by maurjen
  • Like 1

Hopefully this game will release on this generation. Really looking forward to it.

I first played The Last of Us, a little before part 2 came out, for the first time ever and I instantly became a huge fan. I pre-ordered the second game and loved it.

2 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

As much as some people don't want to hear it, The Last of Us Part II is the most awarded game in history and it sold like hot cakes.

It has also left behind quite a lot of cold cakes too if we're completely honest. Too bad there's no award for that, am I right?