Price a bit steep!

11 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Who pissed on your cornflakes this morning. No ones crying. Just a friendly discussion on a games trophy forum. So of course the trophies do matter or i wouldnt be on this site. 

Ive heard amazing reviews of this game so i will probs suck it up and pay the full price anyway because im a bit short on ps5 games at minute

It wasnt the first thread about pricing and wont be the last.

Never mentioned anything about whether trophies matter. The discussion is about people thinking value = game time and within that topic theres a lot of people crying.

I have to play through so many R&C games for this account. Gonna start with the Vita versions of the original three, probably gonna skip the ps4 reboot because it was lukewarm, and I'll see where this game is at in a while. If I was more excited about it I'd have forked over the money but nothing on ps5 yet has really excited me

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha

I bought physical for $60 and playing it right now. Have to say the quality is insanely good, very well made game. Plan is to do everything in the game, find all bolts, collectibles and do arena challenges. The platinum is probably 10h but the game has much more content than that.

Really enjoying it so far and will sell it for $45-50 when I'm done during this weekend

The "time doesn't matter" sentiment that's so popular these days is comical. If it doesn't matter, then why didn't Sony charge full price for Miles Morales? They certainly could have, if for no other reason than having "Spider-Man" in the title. But the reality is that more content is going to be more valuable than less content. Ah, but then they tell you they would prefer a 30 hour game rather than a 40 hour game with an extra ten hours of "padding" as if being over a certain amount of hours guarantees the quality of the content will be poor. I will be playing Ratchet & Clank tomorrow, but as already stated, selling the game after you're finished will allow you to recoup the majority of what you paid for the game. You have multiple options here.

• Like 1

Been playing the game for a bit and I think 10 hours is the minimum you'd get the plat in. It will take most 15-20 I think.

There's also a lot more content outside the plat, and besides that, the game is just gorgeous, well made, and well written. Absolutely worth full price imo, I think they'll likely add a separate trophy list for NG+ as well. I don't see how you could price games any lower that have this much work put into them, hell they're already selling the actual consoles at a loss.

Games also aren't made to provide people with plats (with a few exceptions lol), so expecting a game's price to reflect the difficulty or ease of obtaining the plat doesn't make sense to me. But like others have said, if the journey to the plat is what you get out of games, buy physical and sell. And if you can afford it, buy full price (or buy new when it's chaper instead of second hand) to support the devs and then sell to get some of that money back.

Edited by InsomniWrench

1 hour ago, ShadeSplit said:

If it doesn't matter, then why didn't Sony charge full price for Miles Morales? They certainly could have, if for no other reason than having "Spider-Man" in the title. But the reality is that more content is going to be more valuable than less content. Ah, but then they tell you they would prefer a 30 hour game rather than a 40 hour game with an extra ten hours of "padding" as if being over a certain amount of hours guarantees the quality of the content will be poor.

Insomniac compared Miles Morales to Uncharted Lost Legacy so they never really marketed it as being a full sized game, also of course a game being long doesn't automatically mean it's padded but if a company feel they've achieved what they wanted with a 10 to 15 hour length I don't see the point of them dragging it out to 25 to 30 just to make people feel like they've got more value from it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MD_91 said:

Insomniac compared Miles Morales to Uncharted Lost Legacy so they never really marketed it as being a full sized game, also of course a game being long doesn't automatically mean it's padded but if a company feel they've achieved what they wanted with a 10 to 15 hour length I don't see the point of them dragging it out to 25 to 30 just to make people feel like they've got more value from it.

They don't need to "drag it out", but that doesn't mean people have to consider it a full game, or that it's worth the same price of games that do provide 30+ hours of content.

• Like 1

Just beat it. Fun and beautiful game. 10 hours mark is about correct.
I'm fine paying €60 for it, but €80 (price on EU PSN store) is too much for me to recommend.
If you're digital only I recommend waiting for a price drop, unless you really want to play the game.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dannyswfc9 said:

I know people are going to say you dont have to finish with the game as soon as the plat pops but according to powerpyx this game can be plated in 10 hours (quicker if you skip cutscenes). Which with a 70 pound pricetag attached to it you would expect a bigger game.

Ive always supported the ps5 games prices but for a AAA game to have such a short game, how can they justify such a huge pricetag. 

Dont get me wrong this game looks incredible and its been a day 1 purchase for me since i got a ps5 but im starting to think should i wait for a deal

Don't worry the fanboy brigade will also tell you miles morales wasn't a DLC priced as a full game. 

Just speak with your wallet and either don't buy it or buy it and return it within the 7 days like I did with morales.

Edited by Dan-lives-here
  • Like 1

It is indeed a steep price increase, as someone who is used to brand new AAA titles being £50, maybe £60 tops. The price increase for first party titles on PS5 is insane here in the UK.

I'm the kind of person that tends to get games at or close to launch even if I don't plan to play them straight away, just to have them, and because I know some games will actually get rare/expensive if I don't get them close to launch (Attack on Titan 2 Final Battle is something I've been mourning not getting when it used to be £30 new physically). I'm willing to spend £40-50 on something I know I'll play at some point, but I'm less inclined to pay £70 for something I know I won't play right away.

Heck, even if I wanted to play it soon, I may still hold off so I don't feel like I'm spending more than the game is worth. I know it's subjective and I agree that how long a game is doesn't dictate how fun or good it is, but at the end of the day, a 10 hour long game is probably going to take me a weekend to finish, and that's it. Then I'm likely never going to play it again. Why would I want to spend £70 on something I'll complete in 2-3 days, when I can wait a few months, pay £40 and get the same amount and time of enjoyment? I personally don't care too much about playing games ASAP any more, unless it's something I've really, really been anticipating, but I've been worn out and disappointed in so many games I've been excited for in recent years that I don't really care any more when I get around to a game.

Anyhow, it will drop in price eventually, that's a guarantee. If you're okay waiting to play it, I recommend holding off until it gets an inevitable price drop.

• Like 3

Full price games have been as short as 10 hours, or shorter, for years now. $70 is the new standard full price. If it bothers you that much, don't buy games on release. Most games get a price drop and/or goes on sale within a month or two these days. 

• Like 1

I haven't bought a full priced game in more than 5 years, they always go on sale 2-3 months later, I don't mind waiting to save 30 euros.

That being said, I rather pay 60€ to have 10 hours of excellence and fun than 50 hours of pure blandness and boringness as many RPGs provide.nowadays.

Edited by Ninjise
  • Like 3

Plan accordingly, budget responsibly, and play passionately. Enjoyment and fulfillment from a hobby that one invests in willingly is key. Knowing the economics of gaming and how you personally participate in it will help.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Full price games have been as short as 10 hours, or shorter, for years now. $70 is the new standard full price. If it bothers you that much, don't buy games on release. Most games get a price drop and/or goes on sale within a month or two these days. 

Really? Which ones, and i dont mean ones that can be easily speed ran through