Price a bit steep!

If anyone is based in the UK, then I highly recommend a renting service called ‘Boomerang Rentals’ 

I’m currently renting Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart for £15. Could still rent it for £10 if you chose a cheaper membership with less perks. 

The game so far is phenomenal and if you have a PS5, it’s a must play.

Hope this helps people!

As others have pointed out, the games are cheaper than they used to and the base game price tag hasn't increased for quite some time. Am I happy about it? Honestly, as someone who doesn't need to play the game the moment it's out, especially single player games, I don't care. In a year or two the game will go on 20-50% sale and I might get it then. If not, I can wait a few more years, my backlog is already big enough.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 9:09 AM, kdogg_gamer_ said:

$7 an hour essentially. People go see avengers in theaters for $20 depending if you buy for other people and what you get etc. $70 is still very justified for most games. If you go for the platinum in Monster Hunter you are getting a lot of value for that game. It could take hundreds of hours. An extra $10 to support the games you love, I’m okay with it.

Isn't the avengers movie like 20 hours long? /S

Lots of money but high quality game and a lot of fun as well. I'd rather pay €70 everytime for a 10hrs game that's this smooth instead of paying €60 for a 80hr+ game that's filled with bugs and causes a bunch of blue screens (yeah looking at you cyberpunk which is a great example tbh).

The platinum is fast but if you go for everything yourself you can stretch the game a bit longer. Rushing the story for the platinum is just a waste of money for these type of games

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Charging $70 for a game is plain ridiculous. Especially from companies like Ubisoft when they don't even come out finished. 

It's nearly $100 here in conversion for our £70 games. That means buying 7 full priced games is literally more expensive than the PS5 itself. And yeah, more and more games nowadays release in very buggy states, often times never even fully fixed years down the line. Thankfully, Ratchet doesn't seem like one of those, but either way, a £20+ price increase is insane.

I know people will point out games used to be more expensive when it comes to inflation, but I don't really see how that's relevant to modern gaming. Wages in general aren't exactly increasing, especially in America.

I personally spend way more on games than I probably should each month, but even for me, asking for £10-20+ more than what I would generally pay for these kinds of games is asking a bit too much, and as much as I'd like to support the devs by buying their game at full price, I have to keep asking myself how I can justify spending what would essentially be nearly 2 AAA games "last" gen (PS4) on just one game that I know will only keep me entertained for a single weekend. Fact is, I just can't, so I'm just going to have to wait this one out.

When I have games like Elden Ring pre-ordered for £38, I just simply can't accept paying £65-70 for a 10-ish hour long game, as much as I do like the Ratchet and Clank series.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 0:04 AM, Ninjise said:

I haven't bought a full priced game in more than 5 years, they always go on sale 2-3 months later, I don't mind waiting to save 30 euros.

That being said, I rather pay 60€ to have 10 hours of excellence and fun than 50 hours of pure blandness and boringness as many RPGs provide.nowadays.

80 not 60

• Like 1

for me a great game + a decently challenging trophy list 5-6/10 really makes the experience so much better as a trophy hunter. Some of my most memorable games were the grinds for the platinum, but maybe im just a small minority though.

im not going to pass up on the game just because a trophy list is too easy thats just silly. ratchet and clank is a great game.

• Like 1

@SuperSmexy500

People that use the inflation argument has literally zero idea how it really works, of course, this is the media’s fault and their ignorance as always (it happens all the time, specially in science).

The index calculated for inflation ratio as it is has NEVER included videogames to start with, it is and index that includes the variation of prices, mostly vital and basic products such as milk, bread, cereals, etc.   The variation from 0,5 €/£/$ of bread up to 1 is 100% (exagerated example, or maybe not...) and its plain stupid to apply the % of those products on to videogames or premium products. It’s an economic index, a pseudo-science,  so people should think ahead before using that.

The most accurate index would be to calculate the % variation of only videogames, even better, PS only, and adjust it only then, which surprise, increased the past year for the first time in 15 years.

I actually support this somehow, we know for a fact some games are much, much more expensive to produce than before, its only natural they would increase the price eventually, the only reason we haven’t seen an increase earlier is propably because globalization made it up for the increase in cost production.

I personally think Ratched is a great game, even with that short duration, but as I’m not a fan, I’ll definitely wait for a price drop to play it. I may also get it and re-sell it fast with minimum costs as others have stated, its actually one of the benefits of a really short game.

• Like 2

I'm never going to have a dollar per hour mentality with video games. The value will always be my enjoyment and the experience rather than how long it took me to finish the game. Maybe it's because I'm not struggling for money but ultimately I would rather a great 10 hour game than a decent 40 hour game.

• Like 3

I'm fine with paying $70 to show support for high quality single-player games. There will be sales down the road for those that aren't.

The trophy list is lame though. This is one game where I would have liked trophies for 100% completion and finishing on the hardest difficulty. I'm still playing on Resistance Leader difficulty because I didn't want to sleepwalk through the game. 

• Like 1

I did with R&C what I do for most new release titles I likely won’t play again once finished - Bought it for $98 AUD from Amazon (it has a $124.95 RRP here which most shops are selling it at). Beat it in 12 hours. Sold on FB Marketplace for $90 AUD. Good price for the person who bought it, and only $8 for me to enjoy a fantastic game. 

The game is short but it’s very very sweet. It’s a case of quality over quantity. There’s zero padding, the game never overstayed its welcome, and was an absolute pleasure to experience from start to finish. 

If you’re in a similar position where it isn’t one you would likely play again anytime soon, consider doing something similar. It’s a brilliant game. 

Edited by OTPYG
  • Like 1

The quality of the game does not seem to be in doubt which is positive. I do have a hard time justifying paying $70 though for a game that will take 15, maybe 20 hours tops to do everything. I have such a big backlog (including older R&C games) that I think I'll wait until it drops a little. I think the price tag is getting more attention now because we're still so early into this generation that the number of exclusives is so small and people are eager to play games to show off the new console. Plus, outside of Nintendo games, it usually doesn't take that long for the first sale or two.

• Like 2

Many people will spend 70$ on a night out so it is what it is.

I think people are so used to not paying for things they forget there are people who work on the product we love and expect to get paid.

I am very curious what the world is going to be like in 10 to 20 years as more and more companies close and we are left places like amazon, disney or mcdonalds. Companies that dont give a crap about quality but we as a society supported since it was easy and cheap.

• Like 3

I do this thing called budgeting because I'm an adult who realizes gaming can be an expensive hobby and if I want to play the latest and greatest when they come out, I gotta pony up. 

This is a new first party title on a new piece of hardware. Talk about first world problems. Don't want to wait? Pay the price. Can and willing to wait? Then do so. You only have to wait a few months before ps games go on sale. 

• Like 3

The price is only what someone is willing to pay for something. and this might come as a surprise but companies top priority is to make money... Shocking i know.

Speak with your wallets.. the first example that comes to mind is black ops 4. it didnt feature a campaign and it sold terrible( in comparison to previous cods) and guess what? the next cod had a campaign!

Dont complain about price then buy the game one hour later.

People comparing price and entertainment value i could play devils advocate and say ok well games like fortnite that are free to play provide endless amounts of replay value and entertainment. im curious to someones thoughts on this.

Xbox is doing amazing things with game pass and launching some titles day 1 on the service. we will see if sony has any plans to somehow offer a competitive service to it or beef up PS now

• Like 1

Why is it that I so rarely see games like Crypt of the Nercodancer, or White Knight Chronicles, or Star Ocean 4 etc. on the profiles of the folks who make the Price vs. Time to Platinum argument?

Surely those games - with famous, preposterously long platinum journeys - would, by their rationale, be the games most worthy of purchase? 

In fact, based on the idea that Value = Time to Plat / Cost, wouldn’t something like Attacking Zegata be considered of infinite value, given that no one has even managed to unlock a single trophy in it yet, no matter how many hours they have collectively spent trying?

I mean, ♾ /£anything is still ♾...

• Like 3