Why is Everything so Time Consuming in this Game?

MiloFPS

In any other game doing 5 companion side quests would take less than an hour, in Red Dead Redemption 2 it took me 5 hours of playing and hanging around the camp just to trigger one side mission where I could complete a single one (the Penny Dreadful comic book for little Jack for taking him fishing). Then I spent over an hour just fishing for a large fish (correct bait etc) and 5 hours just robbing 4 homesteads (before I bought fast travel). This game is so painful sometimes but it’s so stunning graphically and the characters and stories are so vivid. This game really divides me in two. 

Is/was everyone fine with spending several hours just to do one or two things or am I the only one who thinks it’s insanity? 

Edited by MiloFPS
  • Like 2

That's why I haven't gotten the plat yet, the hunting and collection requirements are maddening. Hunting small birds which are extremely hard just to see, with extremely specific areas and kill requirements almost drove me mad... Trying to get that squirrel almost destroyed me...

• Like 1

because the execs at rockstar are so in love with themselves they expect you to take the longest, most painstaking and / or slow route possible at any given situation. and that fucking horse jeezus.

they specifically despawn targets you need for quests or collections just to spite you and make you waste half a day on one single thing. and at launch if you didn't get gold on a mission first time chances were slim you would get it on repeat tries because you always started with less ammo, health pool, dead eye pool then you had when you actually started the mission for the first time, and the trinkets you get do fuck all in missions.

i love the game, but seriously what a waste of time that must have been coding that shit.

• Like 1

Yes. Everything just takes longer than you think it will. I remember having a rough idea of the stuff I wanted to get done that day, only to sit there at the end of a 4-5 hour gaming session, having accomplished less than half of what I thought I would have done. Even the ‘small’ things like finding the dinosaur bones can end up taking 5-6 hours. 

On my profile stats I have 2 trophies logged for the 4am category, which were the hunting trophies from this game. One night I just said fuck it, went through a whole bottle of rum and drunkenly finished looking for some shitty panthers and owls.
Good luck if you decide to go for the platinum. It’s a slog.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JEDLander said:

Yes. Everything just takes longer than you think it will. I remember having a rough idea of the stuff I wanted to get done that day, only to sit there at the end of a 4-5 hour gaming session, having accomplished less than half of what I thought I would have done. Even the ‘small’ things like finding the dinosaur bones can end up taking 5-6 hours. 

On my profile stats I have 2 trophies logged for the 4am category, which were the hunting trophies from this game. One night I just said fuck it, went through a whole bottle of rum and drunkenly finished looking for some shitty panthers and owls.
Good luck if you decide to go for the platinum. It’s a slog.

That thread you made on this game already proved how much you felt the platinum sucked.

14 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

and at launch if you didn't get gold on a mission first time chances were slim you would get it on repeat tries because you always started with less ammo, health pool, dead eye pool then you had when you actually started the mission for the first time, and the trinkets you get do fuck all in missions.

This is blatantly not true and was entirely perpetuated by more casual people like you. Getting gold on enough missions before the patch (which made replaying missions easier) was not actually challenging in any way. But of course people are always going to whine and complain about games when they’re forced to learn to have some base level of competency with the mechanics before getting the platinum to unlock. There were many different guides out there to help and the vast majority of the missions I went for didn’t take me more than one or two tries to get gold. 

• Like 1

Because Rockstar.

A hugely talented developer, so gloriously in love with their own animations, that they not only want to indulge in them over and over with masturbatory glee, but they want you to watch them while they do it, Louis CK style.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

I'm vey grateful that at least RDR 2 has fast travel system and can manipulate RNG animal spawns (sleep alot, then save & reload.  This game could be more unforgiving if we have to gold medal every single mission, scan all missable animals, and/or collect all equipment/weapons.       

1 hour ago, acidkai_ak said:

I'm vey grateful that at least RDR 2 has fast travel system and can manipulate RNG animal spawns (sleep alot, then save & reload.  This game could be more unforgiving if we have to gold medal every single mission, scan all missable animals, and/or collect all equipment/weapons.       

My mate's dad's son's mate works at Rockstar and I can confirm RDR3 will include trophies for gold medalling every single mission, scanning all missable animals and collecting all missable weapons. 

• Like 3

It's Rockstar's Shenmue. A technical milestone and highly regarded in its time, but give it 10 years and the only people who'll appreciate it are the ones who enjoyed it back in the day.

For my part, the glacial pace of RDR2 stopped me from even getting through the main campaign. For all Shenmue's slowness, at least it's compact. RDR2 is a sprawling nightmare in comparison.

From a trophy hunting perspective, it is one of the grindiest games I've ever played. Far Cry 2 wasn't even this bad. I personally caved after trying to get a 3 star skunk for the stupid squirrel statue trophy. I spent 8 solid hours trying every method you could think of. I watched all the guides, read all the articles, tried everyone tried and true method of spawning and it just wasnt happening. 

19 hours ago, F1rstinFlight said:

This is blatantly not true and was entirely perpetuated by more casual people like you. Getting gold on enough missions before the patch (which made replaying missions easier) was not actually challenging in any way. But of course people are always going to whine and complain about games when they’re forced to learn to have some base level of competency with the mechanics before getting the platinum to unlock. There were many different guides out there to help and the vast majority of the missions I went for didn’t take me more than one or two tries to get gold. 

casual? are you dumb? so many missions were fucking impossible, like breaking that asshole out of prison, you start with absolutely nothing and the only things you can get to help you, you pick up. and since you need to nail nearly all headshots, and all the enemies are on horseback and you have no way to replenish the cm of deadeye u have lol. it's damn near impossible on retries, and many missions were like that. i'm not saying the game was too hard, since you could just back up your save before the mission, so many missions were damn near impossible, like that god damn takedown you have to do on the train, getting 70 missions golded wasn't that hard, but we're not talking about the game being difficult.

we're talking about rockstar, taking immense pleasure, in openly wasting our time. with pointless unnessercary shit like having to back up your save before every mission and doing it 3-5 times to advance instead of just coming back to do the gold objectives you missed out on. if your that sweaty gta dude who spends all day #1 on gta mp i wouldn't imagine the game would be too difficult, but imagine if you will, someone who hates gta games because of the human refuse the mp attracts and the game in general not being worth playing.

• Like 1