Online Servers officially announced permanently closed.

JamieCon20

7 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

And how do you figure you deserver trophies you didn't earn? I'll never understand how people feel so entitled. I missed out on quite a few of these, and I don't feel like I am owed anything. 

Well the thing is, with a lot of us, we have backlogs of games we want to play. And some of us, prioritise games with servers that are announced to shutdown. So without the notice of games shutting down, how are we meant to have that last chance of getting the trophies? We were assured quite a few months ago that "trophy hunters will still be able to get the trophies" and that the online situation would be worked out and we could return to playing. With promises like this from the developer, that kind of tells us that we'll be okay. Only to be slapped in the face and no warning. That's why we want this to be implemented. 

As I said, if the game was fixed and said "alright, 30 days until server closure." Then so be it. But no, all we're left with is servers turned off and broken promises.

• Like 2

Shit happens. It's not like Sony could have predicted this and given a 30 days notice. The servers were deemed non-functional and/or not safe since they were being used to send hateful messages via targeted harassment. If Sony had no way to prevent this then they made the right call to keep the servers closed. I don't think some people understand how severe these attacks were. 

It really sucks that those who don't own a PS4 or don't want to pay for online lose access to these games and that all Vita content is lost but at least they managed to salvage something. The Vita game was the only one I actually bothered to create something cool in rather than just levels for trophy whoring. That's gone now.

• Like 4

This video game industry need some company /security system that will check companies like EA/Sony/Activision for stuff like this. Without it they can do what they want and we players can’t do nothing with it. Activision can close 30 games at ones(all 007/Transformers/guitar hero games and more) / EA can close online features without any warning,like in FIFA and Plants vs Zombies 2 dlc and more. Sony can do things like they do with LBP series without any 30 days of notice. They can close Uncharted PS Vita before official closure date and more and more. This is sad.

10 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

Shit happens. It's not like Sony could have predicted this and given a 30 days notice. The servers were deemed non-functional and/or not safe since they were being used to send hateful messages via targeted harassment. If Sony had no way to prevent this then they made the right call to keep the servers closed. I don't think some people understand how severe these attacks were. 

It really sucks that those who don't own a PS4 or don't want to pay for online lose access to these games and that all Vita content is lost but at least they managed to salvage something. The Vita game was the only one I actually bothered to create something cool in rather than just levels for trophy whoring. That's gone now.

Why hacker not in the prison yet? He destroyed company business and they lost some money because of this.

I was lucky enough to Plat LBP vita earliler this year and had intended on going back for the others - so this news is a big letdown for me. I guess I would be less annoyed if I could remove the game from my trophy list but even then I'm kinda glad we cant or everyone would be able to easily have 99% completion rates haha. maybe I just want the ability to move the game to the bottom of my trophy list :)

1 hour ago, pavelbagirov said:

This video game industry need some company /security system that will check companies like EA/Sony/Activision for stuff like this.

What the hell are you suggesting? that there should be a regulatory body for what companies do with their own products (and that you even accepted the terms before playing online)? bruh...

41 minutes ago, Moostache7 said:

You should read my other posts. My comments here have absolutely nothing to do with trophies. I also have no delusions about being entitled. I am entitled. I paid for a product. They gave no warning and were not only not transparent but dishonest. If I don't say anything then they will surely keep the servers shutdown. If I act like you, I'll only hurt my fellow consumer by encouraging others to keep quiet. I don't know what you gain by telling me it's not possible. I know it's unlikely. But if you don't like these threads then don't come to them, it's not hard.

A lot of people seem to also forget that the legacy digital marketplaces were going to be shutdown permanently, and that that was the narrative for almost 3 weeks.

Have a good evening.

You also should have been following this case for months then. Everyone had the eerie feeling none of the servers would live period. If you followed this drama for the multiple months this was happening, it was always a potential issue. If the security is not fixable at all for the PS3 games, then they have no choice, otherwise things could potentially get even worse beyond just harassment. The game was hacked to the point of almost no return. You paid for a product probably over a decade ago or for free on plus. At this point, you aren't really entitled to anything. I would rather servers be shut down after being under watch and them trying to fix it for months, than to have something worse happen or suicidal people potentially kill themselves over these horrendous things hackers were putting there.

11 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I could be wrong, but is this the first abrupt server closure for an exclusive title?

I do understand that there must have been some type of security vulnerability that was not worth fixing to make this kind of decision, but it is pretty crappy that there wasn't the typical 90 day warning most have come to expect from Sony.

I think it happened for the GWENT: The Witcher Card Game too.

At least I remember that happening... I remember a lot of angry people vindictively celebrating the failure of CDPR with Cyberpunk due to them closing the servers for GWENT so suddenly.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see that you said for an exclusive title in particular, mb.

Edited by Griffon234

Already moved on and deleted both games of my console, but I can only blame myself that I didn’t start LBP2 extras edition that was sitting installed on my console for 2 years when I bought it on sale and LBP 3 on PS3. (LBP 3 is very easy online 3 simple trophies) while 2 takes much longer.

I could say I had a lot of time getting both of them done online but I didn’t. So I am not gonna blame the devs or the studio for this. I already knew they were always risky, especially 2 that’s why I put it on a hold for some time. I have both not on my trophy list so atleast I am not stuck with a unobtainable. 

But I would have played them with a shutdown announcement I was actually expecting one soon. So this came to me as a suprise and for many others also. I say move on enough other games to do. But it’s still sad. 

We all take PS3 and Vita servers for granted, but the reality is that a lot of those games are incredibly old. LittleBigPlanet 1’s servers were up for 12 years- is that not enough? It’s a miracle that they even up for such a long time.

Yes, getting no notice really sucks, but everyone had more than enough time to do those trophies at this point.

i want to know why they didnt do anything to the guy who started the code to crash the servers and then gave it to others to do the same. from what i understand if i listened to the whole story right was he was somehow a part of making the game. and because someone ticked him off everyone else had to pay the price. you say a swear word in game chat and you can lose your account, this guy tanked the servers and nothing. whats to stop this from happening to any game. mp trophies suck

5 hours ago, Moostache7 said:

Regardless of whether or not I sound entitled (I won't argue that, because I do feel entitled, I won't deny it, I gave them money and now am entitled to a product that I want to use), that's not the point of why I interact with these threads and social media posts about the subject

Well then.you should read the details of your product better. You paid for a game that you're still able to play, albeit no longer in an online fashion.

You were never promised an indefinite online functionality, and to think otherwise is both extremely self entitled and a bit delusional to be honest, especially given that PS3 has been sunseting for quite a while now.

Servers can be shut down for a number of reasons and advance notice has never been guaranteed 

FYI, petitions rarely work, and comparing how one developer does business to another is pointless.

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 2

Why are the servers ok with LBP3 only on PS4, and not on PS3? Why are the PS5 servers ok for the new sackboy game?

I still think it's a bit suspect to be honest, and probably just an excuse to kill support for the old games.

Various versions of the game DLC got delisted before any "hacking" began, and then the LBP.me went too.

Sounds more like planned obsolescence to me.

• Like 1

Frankly, It's for the best the state that LBP was in at this point was just too fucked up the devs most likely tried everything logical given its age. Also, it's not like the player base gave a lot of incentive even with the social media attention. I'm not saying I'm happy about this trust me I would have loved to be sackrolled the way God intended but it's apparent that the ship was sinking and though the compromise was a large one at least the most important parts were salvaged.

Though vita was just shot in the head.

The underlying issue is, running the server doesn't generate the company money anymore, especially with so many people not using PS3 anymore, I doubt maintaining the server was cost effective for years.

I've never heard of a server getting hacked and then a game going offline for nearly half a year. Hacking the server is a shit thing to have happened but let's not forget that a ton of stuff was slowly being closed off at the end of 2020 before hacking had even occurred.

Servers deliver data, there aren't magic PS4 servers, or PS3 servers that are dedicated to PS3 games, they are just servers.

Servers deliver us the entire Internet and have done for decades. You could use the same server to send data to a PS3 or a ZX Spectrum if you so wish.

They just aren't interested in solving the issue and cynically I think Sumo Digital were probably having a celebratory LBP on PS3 party for the game's servers closing permanently, in May or whenever the servers went down. They probably knew then their intentions, or at the very least, they could see how well the DLC sales were performing despite online being disabled.

It's a great PR excuse for them to pull the plug. Hence why only PS4 servers for LBP3 are up and not for PS3, they just don't care about the old games anymore, they've had their day. Most importantly though, they are under no obligation to keep them running.

They would never admit that of course, but a business is a business.

Edited by enaysoft

I'm not a big tech geek or work in IT so forgive the possible nieve question, but is there a difference between ps3 and ps4 servers? As time goes on, the ps3 seems to have an increasing amount of hacked games (LBP, RDR, GTA IV & V, CoD: WaW are the ones i'm directly aware of) but I don't really hear about that many hacked servers on ps4 (LBP3, Titanfall 2). Is there a difference between the server or system security on each console?

Thank you in advance to anyone that help clarify this for me!

Edited by black__bunny