Was PS5 kind of a disappointment to anyone else?

arcanehornet_

Yes.  Not a fan of the PS5 so far.  I've had one for about 6 months but have left it in the box because I had no reason to play it.  Recently plugged it back in to plat Astro Playroom and Plague Tale.  I only bought the thing because of the semi-free games they gave out with it attached to psplus. 

Positives: 

1)  Load times.  It's great in this regard.  Minimal load times are always a great thing.

2)  Controller feels nice.  I like the weight to it and the feel of the controller itself when the vibration is turned off.

Negatives:

1)  The design of the system itself is goofy.  Shouldn't need a piece of plastic attached to the bottom to get the system to sit right in either position. 

2)  Graphically, I'm not noticing much of a difference.  Not enough to warrant the upgrade.  I know it takes the developers time to get the most out of the dev tools.  But I can't help but think back to being a kid after playing SNES and then seeing a SM64 display at toyrsrus and thinking "holy shit, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen."  Now it's just like, yeah looks a little better.

3)  The controller.  While I like the weight and feel, I hate all the extra bullshit invovled.  Didn't like the rumble pack for the N64 and still not into vibrator controllers.  3 things I always opted out of when I could for PS4 were: the six axis, the vibration, and the controller speaker.  PS5 doubled down on all 3, and also an added a mic.  The trigger tension thing too.....just more shit that will break  lol  It's not a surprise with all this stuff going on with the controller, its durability is questionable.

4)  The controller's durability.  Think this warrants its own point.  Lot of people are reporting the controller failing or joystick drift well short of what would be expected.  This is simply fucked up.  Especially with a $70 price tag.  If these things are crapping out too soon, this is major design flaw that warrants a class-action lawsuit.

5)  No USB backup of save files.  The workaround is like a system restore save point which will back up everything including save data.  But then you are locked into wiping and restoring everything as it was at that specific point.  Intentionally making it this much of a pain in the ass so more people would opt for PSplus cloud save is a scumbag move.

So yeah, pretty disappointing so far.

Edited by kinnyman
punctuation
  • Like 3

I just didn't really see the need to splash out a lot of money just to play PS4 games when my PS4 pro still works perfectly. Until there is a decent amount of PS5 games I wont be switching over just for a little quicker load times. I really hope this year game devs really start to release some games worth playing because its been pretty rough couple of years.

to me i love it, the load times are fast, makes quitting and reloading faster such as nba 2k21 if i had a bad game i was able to dashboard and load back quickly, i love not hearing the fan freak out as much as the ps4

Only thing I really dislike is the UI. It feels like it does the same as the PS4 but everything needs 2-3 times the steps.

when I want to see a trophy on PS4 I press the ps button, up, go to trophies scroll done

on ps5 it’s press the ps button. Click on profile click on trophies. Click on the trophy, click on „show more” can finally get all the information available.

• Like 2

Well I've been extremely happy with my PS5 but not without some cons.  Maybe coming from a base PS4 instead of a Pro does it, but how could anyone not be happy with being able to play PS4 games you never got to but with better performance, sometimes with boosts to the fps and resolution, etc?  As a baseline that ought to be a given if you're a PS4/Pro enthusiast?

Pros for me:

• Fast loading for the native PS5 games, and faster loading of PS4 games
  • Some backward compatibility which was missing entirely for PS4 gen
  • Ray-tracing like on Rift Apart being able to have it at 60fps at a nice res too
  • Almost all games have minimum 60fps options and a growing list have up to120fps
  • Older games mostly run better, sometimes much better
  • Older games get free updates to boost the fps -Horizon Zero Dawn, TLOU2,  Days Gone, Tsushima (original) etc
  • I really like the Dual Sense controller, especially the black one I just got
  • The free PS4 to PS5 upgrades, which has been most games (I realise will change for Sony games in future)
  • Have really enjoyed the PS5 version updates of PS4 games - FF7 Remake Intergrade, Death Stranding Directors Cut, etc
  • Expandable M2 drive storage options
  • Performance is more than capable compared with the console competition as seen in various examples Digital Foundry etc
  • I like the exclusive games more than the ones on XBOX with a promising 2022 to come

Cons:

• Microsoft have led with things still unavailable on PS5: VRR, 1440p option for gaming monitors
  • No backward compatibility for PS2/3.  Microsoft supports XBOX 360 stuff, and goes back even older I think
  • Fewer 120 fps games
  • Smart Delivery is just a better way for managing how games work on consoles
  • Probably no more Bethesda/Ninja Theory games again, etc

• Like 3

you're telling me that by reusing the exact technology and engines slightly updated for a new generation because developers complain it's too hard to learn new hardware/software every gen, means we get games that are almost identical technologically? WHAT A SHOCKER!!!!!

On 06/01/2022 at 2:11 AM, RedTitan_RedKing said:

you're telling me that by reusing the exact technology and engines slightly updated for a new generation because developers complain it's too hard to learn new hardware/software every gen, means we get games that are almost identical technologically? WHAT A SHOCKER!!!!!

I'm guessing that reply was aimed to me?  As PS5 generation rolls along existing engines will evolve (Decima) and new ones used over time (Unreal 5).  So I disagree that we get games almost identical technologically every gen as wasn't like that last gen.  And for instance, Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us 2 couldn't have existed on PS3 in the same way as they were on PS4 as the same game engines weren't available.

I do agree that say, for old PS4 games to be upgraded to PS5 native versions that those will usually be the same tech and engines.  I'd agree situations like this aren't a shocker.  What else would they do with those? 

56 minutes ago, Virtua_Vince said:

I'm guessing that reply was aimed to me?  As PS5 generation rolls along existing engines will evolve (Decima) and new ones used over time (Unreal 5).  So I disagree that we get games almost identical technologically every gen as wasn't like that last gen.  And for instance, Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us 2 couldn't have existed on PS3 in the same way as they were on PS4 as the same game engines weren't available.

I do agree that say, for old PS4 games to be upgraded to PS5 native versions that those will usually be the same tech and engines.  I'd agree situations like this aren't a shocker.  What else would they do with those? 

um no, I have no idea who you are

but every single point you made in this reply, is false

number 1, engines always evolve, what has that to do with the fact that they can also evolve on PS4 along with PS5? the same "evolved" Decima engine powering Horizon 2 on PS5 is powering it on PS4, PS4Pro and soon all kinds of PC configurations

number 2, Unreal 5 is a multi platofrm engine, it can run on phones, what has that to do with PS5?

number 3, watch Mark Cerny Road to PS5 video, he literally says that devs can disable the PS5 specific hardware of the GPU and just reuse the exact same engines for the PS4 in an emulated form, you can literally carry along your development structure from PS4 to PS5 with absolutely no changes, which is what we're seeing

number 4, ummm yeah... HZD/TLOU2 not being able to be on PS3, is my point.... did you even read my comment? but guess what? Horizon 2 and the next ND game can absolutely be on PS4, because PS5 is a PS4 Pro Pro, as specified by its architect, Mark Cerny

number 5, ummm again, what are you exactly talking about? is Horizon 2, God of War 5, Gran Turismo 7 old PS4 games upgraded to PS5 native versions? those are 2022 games and they will look near identical on PS4/PS5 and various kinds of PCs soon

when PS4 came out, the jump from Arkham City on PS3/PC to Arkham Knight to PS4/PC was monumental, in every way, animations, textures, size, gameplay mechanics, cinematics, everything, meanwhile, when PS5 came out, all you got was a bump from 1800p checkerboard to 2160p checkerboard on Ghost of Tsushima for $70, not even a native res mode with better graphics option, I guess you'll have to wait for the PC version for that, something much too common for PlayStation gamers these days

Edited by RedTitan_RedKing

The PS5 has been a worthy purchase simply for giving me Bugsnax and allowing me to play games without feeling like I am in a god damn sauna!

I do miss the themes though, that UI feels really mundane. But we spend so little time in it, it's hardly a deal breaker. At least they fixed the trophy layout!

For me yes it was, but I guess maybe my TV is crap (an old 19 inch Toshiba 4K LED that I got back in 2018 for like £300....), so I can't appreciate the full power of the PS5's visual capabilities. I don't know about load times because I have not played a game that I played on PS4 as well, but they are fast which was a good thing.

As someone who loves themes, avatars and customisation, the biggest disappointment was the lack of themes. I really enjoyed themes on the PS3, Vita and PS4. I had lots of FF and Persona themes, none of which I can use on the PS5 and also none available anyway. Also, not being able to set your screenshots as backgrounds either was a let down. It makes it feel so generic and the same as everyone else's. The second is the lack of games despite it being a year and half since release. I suppose this is understandable as many people can't buy one, but still more games especially JRPGs would be nice 

On 04/01/2022 at 4:12 AM, kinnyman said:

2)  Graphically, I'm not noticing much of a difference.  Not enough to warrant the upgrade.  I know it takes the developers time to get the most out of the dev tools.  But I can't help but think back to being a kid after playing SNES and then seeing a SM64 display at toyrsrus and thinking "holy shit, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen."  Now it's just like, yeah looks a little better.

Out of curiosity, which games have you played so far?

Love the faster load times, higher texture quality (at least on next gen games)/raytracing [when applicable], and better frames overall. (Have seen some drops though in some games but not too worried about it because trust me you'd see drops on PC at 4k too unless you put several thousand into a computer.) 

Can't wait to see true "next-gen" games in a few years though. 

I myself won't run out and buy a new tv to play my games at 120hz at 1080 though.

Yea, I had an opportunity to buy a PS5 day one from the Sony email thing they were doing and I turned it down because I feared games weren't going to make that big of a jump this gen and boy was I right. I recently visited a relative and I got my hands on one for the first time and played Ratchet and Clank and Kena and where the games were fun I wasn't all that impressed. R&C looked about the same as the remake on PS4 and Kena was already on PS4. Even this year all the exclusives are cross gen. Horizon and GOW Ragnarok look like there first entries. You can tell there built on the PS4 architecture and being marketed as Big PS5 games. On top of this they have destroyed the main trophy UI. The main game tiles are tiny and the PS4 games are compressed into a clear square thats clearly only designed for the PS5 trophy tiles. So besides the fact that I could have flipped my money, im glad so far I decided not to buy one. I'll buy one eventually 3 or 4 years down the road when I can get it for a couple hundred bucks or second hand. 

On 1/3/2022 at 8:11 AM, Void said:

my disappointment comes from the removal of allowing gamers to back up their save files to a USB, unless they changed that. I have not bought one yet and at the moment probably wont, did play one at a friends though.

You can back up saves via USB for all ps4 games you play on PS5.  I m intending to play a couple games soon on the PS4 version to take advantage of this.  I mainly play ps4 games on it, and they load so much faster.

Not disappointed with the console, just a faster better(UI excepted) version of the ps4 which is all i expected, grabbed it because my ps4 wasnt fixable.  Returnal and Demons are the only true ps5 games i ve played, and they are a clear step up from ps4.  I have a Digital, so it s hidden behind my screen, i go weeks without looking at it.  Would prefer something with the form factor of the Slim ps4 for travel.

The first year of a new console generation is always rough but the backwards compatibility with PS4 softens the blow. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Graphical differences between generations have been growing smaller and smaller for a long time now but for me, 60fps becoming the standard would be a big thing. I like that some PS4 games were patched with that. Will definitely be a year or two before we see the full potential of PS5 being unlocked. 

50 minutes ago, maisie666 said:

You can back up saves via USB for all ps4 games you play on PS5.  I m intending to play a couple games soon on the PS4 version to take advantage of this.  I mainly play ps4 games on it, and they load so much faster.

Not disappointed with the console, just a faster better(UI excepted) version of the ps4 which is all i expected, grabbed it because my ps4 wasnt fixable.  Returnal and Demons are the only true ps5 games i ve played, and they are a clear step up from ps4.  I have a Digital, so it s hidden behind my screen, i go weeks without looking at it.  Would prefer something with the form factor of the Slim ps4 for travel.

They're talking about PS5 saves. They can't be backed up via USB, only via PS Plus cloud saves

16 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

Maybe because we live in a world now where people crave constant and instant gratification and expectations are unrealistically high. If this console was released 20 years ago, people would be losing their minds about how good it is. Only in this day and age can such a powerful console such as the PS5 can be perceived as 'disappointing'. What exactly were you expecting? For it to reveal the secrets of the universe? Dump a nugget of gold on your floor every time you turn it on? You don't like the UI and the themes so therefore it's bad? Give me a break...

And if you were to release a console from 20 years ago 20 years earlier, people would have the same reaction.....