Are we supposed to be using the game mode setting on our TV when console gaming?

Cryogenicide_X

As someone said, I just set the video to my taste. I probably don't notice the input lag that much because I barely play multiplayer.

What I've done is to active hdr on the tv in my room.

The tv on my living room is from 2020 and switch automatically to Game mode every time I turn on the console, I've just left that setting because it looks ok. Both tv are Samsung, the one in my room the older.

• 1 year later...

Its something that came to me, I've never personally ever used gaming mode or ALLM on my TV ever when gaming. I'm just wondering if we're supposed be using game mode or not? The reason I guess I've never used it is because I've heard that when using those modes the TV lowers the games graphics? Is that true? 

I wouldn't want to use it if it lowers graphics. 

On 14/04/2023 at 6:11 PM, Cryogenicide_X said:

Its something that came to me, I've never personally ever used gaming mode or ALLM on my TV ever when gaming. I'm just wondering if we're supposed be using game mode or not? The reason I guess I've never used it is because I've heard that when using those modes the TV lowers the games graphics? Is that true? 

I wouldn't want to use it if it lowers graphics. 

As far as I know that depends on your TV. Certain TVs have that issue where it is a noticeable difference while others it is fine.

Game mode itself is pretty simple though. Use it. Its the other TV settings that can be difficult as they're subjective or even if better take getting used to.

4 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

It only makes a difference on games where frames matter (ex. Rock Band, Street Fighter, twitch shooters, etc). Outside of that, it doesn't matter much.

No, maybe for YOUR TV, but this isn't the case for all TV's. I still have the same TV now that I posted about on the first page a couple years ago...If I try to play ANY game outside of Game Mode, there's horrible input lag. 

However the last 2 TV's I had before this one were a 720p Vizio and a 1080p Sharp (both non-smart TV's), I didn't have to use Game Mode on those, there was no difference between it being on or off. This 4KTV I have now it's a must. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

No, maybe for YOUR TV, but this isn't the case for all TV's.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:
1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

For 99% of tv's it only makes a difference on games where frames matter (ex. Rock Band, Street Fighter, twitch shooters, etc). Outside of that, it doesn't matter much.

There, I fixed it lol.

Edited by KingGuy420

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

While I'm here guys what do you have set for the PS5 HDR setting? Do you have it set to always on or on only when supported?

Only when supported. If the game doesn't support HDR, then forcing an SDR image into an HDR container usually just makes the image look darker on my TV rather than better. But you play a non-HDR game and turn the setting on and off and see what works for you. 

EDIT: I just tested it with WWE 2K23, a game that doesn't support HDR for some strange reason (seems like a game that's perfect for it). And while my TV does darken the image a bit...it looks sooo much better. I may have to keep this always on for now and test more games with it. 

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, The Investigator said:

100%, TVs come with artificial image features to make low resolution content look better, this is not needed for video games, game mode disables most of those

Exactly. And by disabling those enhancements the image is processed more quickly.

I have tried playing with game mode on and off. I didn't really notice a difference while playing single-player, but it absolutely does affect response time when playing online shooters.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 0:11 AM, Cryogenicide_X said:

I'm just wondering if we're supposed be using game mode or not?

Unless you play competitively online, you'd better not use it.

13 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

While I'm here guys what do you have set for the PS5 HDR setting? Do you have it set to always on or on only when supported?

I believe most PS5 owners leave it at "Auto".

In short Game Mode is also known as diarrhea mode because this is all ALLM/game mode will bring to you. Unless of course you're an ultra sweat and play COD 24/7 where apparently this mode makes a difference (It totally doesn't) But anyway, we all just want hdmi 2.1 now and a few youtube videos on how to setup manually without pre made modes. 

Got new Samsung TV (or inherited it I suppose) not too long ago and was playing some Theatrhythm FBR and Miku Megamix. Those were unplayable without game mode. Couldn't even pass a song on easy on Miku and I don't think I'm a total noob at the genre.

Edited by mecharobot
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

In short Game Mode is also known as diarrhea mode because this is all ALLM/game mode will bring to you. Unless of course you're an ultra sweat and play COD 24/7 where apparently this mode makes a difference (It totally doesn't)

Couldn't you let your opinion be known without the passive-aggressive undertone?

Maybe deactivate your "diarrhea mode".

• Like 1

The difference is extremely marginal (outside of a handful of frankly awful TVs) in both aspects. Therefore, if you want it on go for it it's not like it'll butcher your picture quality somehow xD but likewise if you don't switch it on you're not going to be at some kind of gaming disadvantage.

I just leave it on whatever its on, which I believe is all auto... So maybe it's on, maybe it's not, I don't care enough to pay it any attention and I don't think anyone really should to be honest.

There will always be the small crowd who swear by certain settings being the 'right way' (I'm sometimes reminded of those who get super gatekeeping about watching movies on those alleged right settings lol). It's really just a 'meh, whatever' in my eyes.

I'm always using game mode on my LG Nano. It seems to do its job rather well (never have noticed lag on PC/PS4&5 games on my TV) and the image quality is fine. Not that I'm going to try turning GM off to test this personally... I'll take mecharobot's word for it. Imagine getting many Poor marks or a streak of misses on a song you normally get mostly great/perfect on in a rhythm game. You're hitting the notes too late due to lag (or overcompensating for it, so now you hit too soon).

On 4/19/2023 at 7:37 AM, LastMinuteSavior said:

Couldn't you let your opinion be known without the passive-aggressive undertone?

Maybe deactivate your "diarrhea mode".

No but I can correct the spelling, it's diarrhoea. 

It's like running to the toilet and hence diarrhoea.

Edited by Z1MZUM