What game do you regret paying full price for?

Winterkill-

I'm a cheapskate these days and buy second hand or wait for the big PSN sales like Black friday, golden week, new years etc. I never buy games on full price, and even if it's not on sale i get a cheaper used copy. 

But when I lived off the bank of mum and dad in uni, I obviously didn't care as I just spent their money since I wasn't the one being worked like a dog for it lol. I don't have any big regrets, although I did buy Disgaea 4 on PS3 full price and did not like it.I never finished it, I got bored of all the grinding and gave up somewhere hear the final level shortly after getting Desco in the party. 

• Like 1

For me it's nearly all the games I own on PS4/5, not because anything really wrong with them but because a lot of them I brought when I had a ton of money yet I haven't actually touched them yet and have seen them go into sales so many times since then, I went full digital for my PS4/5 games because I have a bad habbit of always selling games and then wanting them back (still regreting that with Godzilla which now goes for £150+ on ebay).

If I did have to say 1 game I brought and am not happy I spent full money on... I would have to say it is sadly Marvel's Avengers, I had played the beta and still brought it because I thought things might have changed, while I enjoyed it and pushed on till I got the platinum while some trophies were buggy back then I really didn'y feel like I should have spent that much for the game. I still play it from time to time and enjoy it but it's still not the best game out there.

The Last of Us Part II. The story is poor, though the gameplay is really good. Heck it's probably great. It's about a 6/10, and not something I wish I paid full price for. Not to mention it was the Digital Deluxe so it was $69.99 plus tax.

Spelunky 2. I know it's only $19.99 plus tax, but I only played it for about an hour and will probably never touch it again. Roguelikes aren't for me.

• Like 2

I haven't paid full price for a game in many years...and it's largely because of the last one I remember buying...which was Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi. What a pile of trash that game is, doesn't deserve to wear the Tenkaichi name. 

That was around the time I decided to stop paying full price and just waiting for sales. This will probably change though...I'm likely going to pre-order Horizon: Forbidden West...but get it on PS4 and play the Free PS5 version (since PS4 version is $60 compared to $70).

The biggest example on PlayStation I can think of, even though it wasn't quite full price, was Dead Rising 2 on PS3. I'd only had my PS3 for a few months and my co-worker convinced me to buy the game so she could play online co-op with someone. I picked up a used copy at EB Games (aka Gamestop) for like $5 cheaper than full price. After a single session with her (during which I was terrible because I had never played the game or franchise before), she stopped playing it. (In fact, I hardly ever saw her on PSN ever again). I tried to play the game solo and just HATED it. Biggest turn-offs: weapon degradation, time limits, and being expected to restart over and over. Absolute waste of money.

Bonus example and biggest shame: Many years ago I was a religious player of Guild Wars (on PC), and when I got bored of it, I desperately wanted a new MMO to play. I settled on Lord of the Rings Online. I really didn't like the idea of a monthly fee, so I decided to buy the lifetime pass, which was more than $200. Best value! Surely I will play this game for several years! Well, no, I dropped it after like 2 months. Also, the game went free-to-play like a year later. 

• Like 1

Code Vein, Days Gone, Doom Eternal, Hades, and Scarlet Nexus.

I wasn't a big fan of Code Vein (the combat was fun), same with Days Gone. Scarlet Nexus's plot actually pissed me off, the nonsensical interactions between the characters... overall, one of my worst recent purchases. I enjoyed Doom Eternal, but found it very disappointing when compared to the previous one, particularly the boss fights. I enjoyed Hades, but found it quite overrated and, in hindsight, I should've waited for a discount.

Uncharted 4. Liked it but didn't love it. Think Uncharted is overrated in general tbh

Assassin's Creed Valhalla on principle because it's broken. Most recently I've hit a game breaking bug in the Siege of Paris DLC which has halted progression. It's also not an Assassin's Creed game, bearing no resemblance to the series I fell in love with over a decade ago.

• 2 months later...

Far Cry: New Dawn hands down.

Bought a Physical copy at release, preorder and all for $40, and the week after (maybe 2 or 3 weeks honestly, my bitterness might be biasing my memories,) it was on a PSN sale for $20. Game was alright considering but still, knowing I could have gotten the same game for half the price I have held out on a lot of game purchases to see how far they will drop.

Edited by Studfox

I could name so many, sadly, since I'm pretty much 40 at this point.  HOWEVER, I will say Bloodborne for my feedback here.  I don't enjoy those kinds of games and I was in such a state of FOMO at the time I caved.  Played for a few hours and never touched it again.  I know I could have gotten my money back if I put up a stink (I USED PSN CREDIT FOR PETER'S SAKE!!) but I never did. 

I'm dumb.

• Like 1

None. Not sure where you guys shop, but any game i buy i have 7days to return for full refund. Now, i can't abuse that system, but i can use it more than i have. I used it once for WWE2K20. I didn't even hate the game, but it wasn't something i saw myself playing past a handful of days. So got all the dlc, season pass, bonus Preorder content for free essentially since i returned it a few days after for full refund.

I also didnt play Immortals Fenyx Rising, i paid 30 for it on boxing day 2020, ended up taking to store i got it from, was given MSRP retail refund of $50 or something. 

• Like 1