The first PSP game has trophy support!

stevo937

On 12/20/2022 at 1:55 AM, fbdbh said:

And Valkyrie Profile Lenneth didn't? :| 

On 12/20/2022 at 2:23 AM, Elvick_ said:

Sony really annoying with dropping trophy requirements. And then they toss out that PS… Heroes? Wtf is it, that new thing to do tasks to get coins to use to buy games and part of that is earning trophies and stuff. Make up your mind, Sony, do you care about trophies or not? 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/20264-valkyrie-profile-lenneth

• Like 1

21 hours ago, s68sc said:

It is better this way, if it was mandatory we will have fewer games in the classic catalogue

True, but it surely cannot be that hard to add a trophy list onto a game, well one would think it would not be hard as most devs know how they work by now. If they are adding stuff like rewind and save features etc then why not go the extra mile and just add a trophy list, even if it brings in an extra 500 players it just gives more options.

Edited by TheRetroManiac
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheRetroManiac said:

True, but it surely cannot be that hard to add a trophy list onto a game, well one would think it would not be hard as most devs know how they work by now. If they are adding stuff like rewind and save features etc then why not go the extra mile and just add a trophy list, even if it brings in an extra 500 players it just gives more options.

As far as I am aware, adding trophies/achievements in games is trivial for any release. It's all done with hooks that are tied to specific events in games. Obviously, older games have more dated code, so it may be a slog to go through it again, which is probably why a lot of these PS1 classic lists have been pretty basic in terms of what they ask players to do. Frankly, I'd rather a classic not be released if they don't add trophies. I could just use the emulator on my phone to get that experience. It's frustrating when the appeal of earning PS1, PS2, and PSP plats was the major selling point for me.

• Like 4

Grinding out "Take the Plunge" I just got enough points on the Uncharted table to earn rank 1 in the high score list doing nothing but kicking off the ball :D On the other hand I don't think I would have gotten "Piece of Cake" anytime soon without rewinding. Those scores seem a little unbalanced.

Edited by RachelCharlotte

5 hours ago, VeldinX said:

They were developed my different devs to the series’ creators but Sony still own all rights to them.

There is no reason (legally) that they can’t be re-released. They have largely been overlooked because they weren’t as popular/well received as the main games in their series’

Not fully. Daxter's development team, Ready at Dawn, was already partly founded by an ex-Naughty Dog member, who worked on the series it's from. More importantly, RAD heavily collaborated with ND in developing the game (which wasn't the case with the not terrible but noticeably underwhelming The Lost Frontier spinoff by HIG), such as the writer for the trilogy and racing spinoff having wrote Daxter's story and dialogue.

That be true for certain series, but Daxter (ff: the best rated handheld game from an IP affiliated with Naughty Dog) isn't one of them. It's a commercially and especially critically successful, AAA PSP game. It's been considered one of the best PSP games in all its lifetime, especially at launch. Commonly mistaken as a PS2 game pre-release, RAD themselves consider Daxter as a "full-on-home-console-like game, like Syphon Filter," which is one of the top highest rated PSP games of all time (I mean, Daxter is too). It's legitimately one of the hardware's most important titles, and often included in top PSP games list.

I don't know why it hasn't been re-released yet—wouldn't be the first really popular video game with a questionably lacking re-release (even without true legal issues), far from it—but as a platformer, PSP game, or title in the JaD series, it's universally highly regarded. There's no good reason why it shouldn't be coming to the premium/deluxe list soon, unless Sony abandon the service.

Actually, RAD said in the past that "porting Daxter to PS2 is the number one request" they get asked, as well as the studio would love to do it and they'd even add new things to that version.

Q: why not see Daxter ported from the PSP to the PlayStation 2?
A: “the number one request the company gets asked is to bring the game to the PS2." He added: “I think everyone here would love to do it, and it actually wouldn’t be that hard because 
Daxter was never designed as a handheld game, we could even add a few things for the PS2 version."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

Not fully. Daxter's development team, Ready at Dawn, was already partly founded by an ex-Naughty Dog member, who worked on the series it's from. More importantly, RAD heavily collaborated with ND in developing the game (which wasn't the case with the not terrible but noticeably underwhelming The Lost Frontier spinoff by HIG), such as the writer for the trilogy and racing spinoff having wrote Daxter's story and dialogue.

That be true for certain series, but Daxter (ff: the best rated handheld game from an IP affiliated with Naughty Dog) isn't one of them. It's a commercially and especially critically successful, AAA PSP game. It's been considered one of the best PSP games in all its lifetime, especially at launch. Commonly mistaken as a PS2 game pre-release, RAD themselves consider Daxter as a "full-on-home-console-like game, like Syphon Filter," which is one of the top highest rated PSP games of all time (I mean, Daxter is too). It's legitimately one of the hardware's most important titles, and often included in top PSP games list.

I don't know why it hasn't been re-released yet—wouldn't be the first really popular video game with a questionably lacking re-release (even without true legal issues), far from it—but as a platformer, PSP game, or title in the JaD series, it's universally highly regarded. There's no good reason why it shouldn't be coming to the premium/deluxe list soon, unless Sony abandon the service.

Actually, RAD said in the past that "porting Daxter to PS2 is the number one request" they get asked, as well as the studio would love to do it and they'd even add new things to that version.

Well said, and I agree. I have heard great things about Daxter actually. As for the other games that were mentioned, they did seem to have mixed receptions. I kind of just bundled Daxter in with the other games in my last reply for ease. Nonetheless, Sony probably still didn’t see it as a massive title for them so didn’t green-light a PS2 port. Very strange though considering how keen RAD seemed to be and that the Ratchet spin-offs and TLF did get ported. 

If we look at the PSP games Sony has chosen for PS4/5 so far… strange choices I would say. In that regard Daxter would be a massive title compared to niche stuff like Echoshift or No Heroes Allowed, or even Key of Heaven which I’d never heard of before. 

On 21/12/2022 at 6:25 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

As far as I am aware, adding trophies/achievements in games is trivial for any release. It's all done with hooks that are tied to specific events in games. Obviously, older games have more dated code, so it may be a slog to go through it again, which is probably why a lot of these PS1 classic lists have been pretty basic in terms of what they ask players to do. Frankly, I'd rather a classic not be released if they don't add trophies. I could just use the emulator on my phone to get that experience. It's frustrating when the appeal of earning PS1, PS2, and PSP plats was the major selling point for me.

Yeah, that makes sense, older code would most likely be a pain to go through. It's more the fact they are going in their adding features but just not the trophy side of things which for me was the selling point of Premium and as of right now I'm not happy with even getting it on a sale I was expecting more from these classic games and generally people on this site would surely prefer they added trophies I mean that's what this site is all about.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

Is this fairly easy to get the plat without prior experience or shall I wait for a guide?

You don't need a guide. Just get the high score on each table (using the rewind feature makes this trivial) and then there are a few miscellaneous trophies that are easy and self explanatory that can be done on any table.

The trophy difficulty rating is like a 1.5/10. 

Edited by lordzeze
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, lordzeze said:

You don't need a guide. Just get the high score on each table (using the rewind feature makes this trivial) and then there are a few miscellaneous trophies that are easy and self explanatory that can be done on any table.

Cheers, I’ll give it a try later.

30 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

So what does fully plunge the ball mean? Just lose the ball?

Plung the ball is shooting the ball from the starting point at max power, just press both L1&R1 and release them after a couple seconds.

Also that Wipeout table was super easy.

Edited by FawkeSolid

On 23.12.2022 at 7:42 AM, lordzeze said:

What's the benefit of rewinding exactly?

On 12/28/2022 at 0:41 PM, GABAergic said:

I was confused with this one as well... so all it means is shoot 50 balls in total onto the board?

Yep. It was my last trophy so I just kept playing the Uncharted level over and over as it had the quickest score recap. After like ten games of purposefully losing, it popped. Just hold down L1/R1 for a few seconds to make sure you have max power!

Good luck!

This was a great nostalgia trip going through ModNation Racers (which I took the track creation semi-seriously and was a nice way to chill and make something. I even made a published track at one point, good times), PAiN and more. Good old launch ps3 vibes. 

Trophy wise, I’m a terrible pinball player (in every sense of the word) and wasn’t too bad. Just a little practice and the rewind feature and you’ll get through. :)

• Like 4