How did you become a Trophy Hunter?

QueazyJoe

I never used to care about trophies, at all....I remember playing Final Fantasy (7 through 12) back in the day and going for the highest completion rate I could get without the motivation of trophies. Even, when trophies were first implemented on PS3 I wasn't bothered.

Then, Assassin's Creed II happened....when I finished the game I was quite close to the platinum so I went for it and got it. Granted, it was one of the easiest platinum's ever but I think it broke the seal!!

I still don't play games solely for the trophies.....but it does sometimes give me a little push to play the games I buy more than once or even try out the MP, which I never used to do.

I came from the Xbox 360. I thought achievements were cool but it never really clicked for me. After my great time with the PSP I got a Vita. Immediately trophies resonated with me so much more & with the limited Vita titles at the time the trophies got me more play time out of the games. Soon after I got a PS3 & launch PS4. So Vita not only got me into Trophies it also got me into PlayStation as a whole. God bless that little beast.

Xbox 360. They had achievements in place well before Sony added trophy support, and I enjoyed the notion of the peacock competition and saying to my friends, ha, look how much bigger my e-peen is, my Gamerscore is thousands more than yours!!

Sad origin story, but there it is.

• 1 month later...

Lol. what's the point of playing video games w/ out trophies. I was always a completionist even on the Playstation 2 and Wii days. Trophies make it a fun interesting challenge and I probably wouldn't be a gamer to this day if there weren't any. LMAO

Edited by Lethal-Desires

Xbox 360. They had achievements in place well before Sony added trophy support, and I enjoyed the notion of the peacock competition and saying to my friends, ha, look how much bigger my e-peen is, my Gamerscore is thousands more than yours!!

Sad origin story, but there it is.

That's essentially me too, had a Xbox 360 before I had a PS3, and I enjoyed getting achievements on the 360.  So when I got a PS3, I played games that had trophies, watched them ping and just found it to be a nice thing really.

Granted, not a full on trophy hunter myself as one can see from my game completion rate :P

I became a trophy hunter thanks to my friend XotreX. I was playing on PS1 and PS2 games on the hardest difficulties and getting all collectibles, etc. When I've got PS3 I didn't had internet on my console and I was playing games just for fun. In 2014 when I came to his house he showed me his 19 platinums and I was like "OMG I WANNA THEM TOO" so I made a new account and that's how I became a Trophy Hunter :)

• Like 1

I STARTED BECAUSE I HAD A HORRIBLE 0 ON THE PLATINUM IMAGE, ACTUALLY I DID HACK UNCHARTED JUST TO HAVE 1, BUT IT DIDNT FEEL RIGHT SO I TRIED TO GET 1 STRAIGHT (DONT REMEMBER WHICH ONE) AFTER THAT I STRATED COMPETING WITH A COUPLE OF FRIENDS AND THE REST IS HISTORY LOL, SAD TO SAY BUT SOMETIMES I PLAY GAMES JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE "EZ PLATS" AND DON'T TRY SOME BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD PLATS TO GET.

You chose to hack a game for a platinum and the game you chose was Uncharted? I would never hack for trophies, truly, but if I did I would go for something a bit more rare. Uncharted is definitely one of the easier series (except the collectibles which are tedious). Btw your "Caps Lock" button is stuck.

No story here, just began hunting for the fun of it.

• Like 2

Prior to trophy hunting, I was playing quite a few games per year and I was simply spending too much money on gaming and running out of stuff I was really interested in playing.  I began trophy hunting in order to give me extra motivation to "stop and smell the roses" so to speak and spend more time with games I enjoy.

CMH777 Carlos got me into it 6 months ago, and then I realize that I've played so many games, yet never got the recognition of mastering any one of then. And Playstation (unlike Steam) has the Platinum trophy which proves that you got all the trophies in a game. Now that's dedication.

Back in 2007, when my middle brother moved in with my family in Nevada, he brought his Xbox 360 with him, naturally.

I played the shit out of whatever games he had then, but what got what me really started on Trophy hunting, was getting 1000/1000 gamerscore on Halo 3. Finishing the game under the Legendary difficulty was a very satisfying feeling, and accomplishing feat. I never thought I could do it, since I only played casually back then.

This went on with me getting more 1000/1000 gamerscores in a couple of games like CoD4, Gears of War, and Forza Motorsport 2.

Fast forward about 4 years, to 2011 and we've both moved on to a PS3. I was still playing games for fun then, but then my cousin got his own PS3, and got the platinum for God of War 2 HD. After that point, we've had sparked a rivalry. He got the first ever platinum trophy I've seen, and that made me somewhat jealous and lit a fire under me.

From then on, I had platinumed Resident Evil 5, and Dead Space on a now dead account. 

Not satisfied, my completionist mentality took over, and I made my FriedRyce account, and, here I am today, 5 years later, with 87 plats (84 showing on PSNP, I dunno why) and another completionist account with 7 Plats.

Edited by FriedRyce

Funnily enough my slight obsession with trophies began on the xbox 360. I had an account on a ps3 when it first came out and played that until the disc reader died. I then switched to xbox 360 for a few months and actually 100%ed batman: arkham city and borderlands. I found something so intriguing about achieving these digital feats that I knew when I came back to Playstation (Which admittedly I prefer so much more over microsoft), I would start trophy hunting. Now, I'm here 45 platinums later. It keeps games interesting for me and really drives me to get my money's worth and try things in games I wouldn't have tried otherwise

always thought plats were super hard to get for some reason. I love visual  improvment and when i got my first, i got addicted. It solidified when i went back to my favorite ps2 games and platinumed most of them. From then i just try to get all the content out of my favorite games

O god i have a friend who makes fun of me for this

They just dont get it <3

Trust me, when I was 15-16 my friends used to say that I'm doing things wrong and playing them wrong cause i went for trophies and stuff, but they grew up eventually :P

• 2 months later...

I've been a collector/completionist ever since I started gaming, I always liked collecting everything, beating in-game challenge lists and getting 100% savefiles. So trophies/achievements are just an extension of this, it just feels... rewarding to get this little image in your profile :3

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

My younger brother's Xbox360 made me a trophyhunter. Not a whore, a hunter. :P My brother had a Xbox360 while I still was playing on my PS2 console. He needed some help with something in Gears of War 2 and suddenly a message popped up: "Achievement unlocked". I was like wtf, what's that ? He explained the system and i actually liked it. My nephew didn't play on his PS3 in those days, so he gave his PS3 to me. And so it began. 

Two years ago I saw this Youtube video about a trophy hunter earning a platinum. Then I told myself well I have games that I can earn platinums from. I earned a platinum trophy and ever since then I was hooked on trophy hunting.I currently have 70 plats and I hope to earn a lot more this year. I am also a completionist and kind of a speed runner because I like to go for a spot somewhere in the top 50 fastest achievers. Good news for me I manage to balance out trophy hunting and my schoolwork so it all works out.  

Edited by marvelboy10
  • Like 4