This is the best walking simulator I have ever played

People are bringing up Rapture and Ethan Carter, both of which are garbage compared to Edith Finch. Edith Finch actually had some segments with gameplay. And the Barbara story was generally interesting. I'd definitely give a campy horror comic book simulator game a try.

If you're looking for a good walking simulator, The Spectrum Retreat is the best I've ever played. One of the best parts of that one is you can basically skip all the walking simulator segments by using a walkthrough to know the passwords to the doors and just play the puzzle game segments.

• Like 2

On 18/05/2019 at 7:24 AM, Milktastrophe said:

People are bringing up Rapture and Ethan Carter, both of which are garbage compared to Edith Finch. Edith Finch actually had some segments with gameplay. And the Barbara story was generally interesting. I'd definitely give a campy horror comic book simulator game a try.

If you're looking for a good walking simulator, The Spectrum Retreat is the best I've ever played. One of the best parts of that one is you can basically skip all the walking simulator segments by using a walkthrough to know the passwords to the doors and just play the puzzle game segments.

Personal choice I guess. I liked Edith Finch a lot but still overall preferred the story and world in Rapture if I had to choose between them. I just finished Ethan Carter and will agree with you a bit there, really didn’t enjoy the story all that much. I wouldn’t say Edith Finch has that much more gameplay in comparison though.

I’ll look into the other one you mentioned, I’ve gotten into these types of games.

Bought the physical release of Edith Finch (yes, there is one) and wasn't disappointed when I finally played it months ago. Don't recall any other walking simulators I've played. Only other one I'm interested in is Dear Esther (which coincidentally also has a physical release)..

I just don't get the hype about this game, i thought it was boring as balls...

Seems like every time a walking simulater tries to morph into a tearjerker it gets great reviews. 

For me it just tries too hard, constantly pushing for an emotion from the player to a point it becomes cringy. At least it only takes 2 hours to complete, which is probably the best thing it has going for it...

To each his own i guess.

I enjoyed it. Must have missed one of the stories somewhere though. Will go back and research that tonight. Is one of the stories easily missable if you don't spot it?

Some of the tales were fascinating and very sad. Still prefer Rapture by a hair but this was definitely a really good game and how refreshing to play something complete that satisfies without it taking 30-40 hours! Good show.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:38 AM, Miles_Warren said:

I'm going to be honest - I never go out of my way to purchase walking simulators. The only time I play them is if they are free on Plus and I have a feeling Edith Finch will be free one day. Saying that, I really did enjoy the last walking simulator I played "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture". From the voice acting, to the scenery, to the soundtrack....ohhh the soundtrack 1f60d.png

Literally two years later, give this man a beer! 

I don't like to much these types of game some I only play them if they are free like right now with this one. However I'm not telling they are bad games just not for me. I like more play than see

On 5/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, Sega-Ryudo said:

"Everybody Gone to the Rapture" and "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" are much better Walking Simulators. That's my opinion.

Have too agree with you on that. It was an unexpected enjoyable Platinum and 100% game

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎.‎05‎.‎2019 at 0:46 AM, Aponac1987 said:

There's no real way to die now that I think about it, unless it's part of the narrative design in order to progress the story. You can die in Flower and Journey, so there. ;)

You can "die" in Ethan Carter though and everyone seems happy to Count that in this thread. Fair enough it's only in a specific area but it still Counts imo. I would say Journey is as much of a Walking Simulator as the Unfinished Swan is. Flower I'm unsure About as you don't really walk per se.

I enjoyed Edih Finch but found the Signets of stories better than the Overall narrative. The journey of Edith herself through the house didn't really amount to much. Her Family members were more interesting to Play through and were a lot more endearing as standalones rather than a part of the whole. Overall though I felt the game was a mix between Ethan Carter (stories) and Gone Home (going home).

I also feel compelled to rank my experiences of Walking sims:

Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Unfinished Swan

Soma

What Remains of Edith Finch

Journey

Gone Home

Dear Esther

Proteus

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

The only one I really didn't like was Everybody's Gone to the Rapture as the game was completely empty with Nothing to do outside of sitting and listening to dead people.

• 2 months later...

I found this game dark, and pretty grim. Enjoyed it though.

I quite liked Gone Home, but this game although very similar is better in every single way. Comparing this to Gone Home is like comparing Street Fighter II to Street Fighter 1...

Only problem I found with this game is that it made me quite motion sick, had to take frequent breaks, that little girl's story at the beginning had me almost hurling. Didn't have that problem with other walking simulators.

I don't think I ever want to play Gregory's chapter ever again though, especially since you're in control of the frog, so it feels like YOU did the killing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What Remains of Edith Finch does not looked interesting to me all these years since its release. But finally, I gave this game a try. I didn't expect much. But damn...

I was so blown away. ?

In my opinion the game is perfect in every way. ❤️

The setting, the graphics, the voice acting, the soundtrack. And above all: the story. Man...the story touched my soul from the beginning. It is a profound and tremendous experience in story telling. The characters are well created with a deep meaning and connection to each other. It was a long time ago, that I experienced such a sad and lively game. 

What Remains of Edith Finch is totally worth the money. I can highly recommend this fantastic game, which creates a long-lasting beautiful sadness. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Ok. Unpopular opinion here. Spoilers ahead. 
This family is not cursed. They are just idiots. 
molly: left 10 years old hungry without dinner? Really?

calvin: who on earth would put swing near the cliff?

Sam is clinical idiot. Let one son play outside at storm and other was bathed alone without his mother looking. Approached shot deer near the cliff without making sure it is dead. Literally first thing you are being taught when starting to hunt is to ensure animal is dead before approaching. 
I didn’t get what happened to Barbara but her brother locked in basement for 30 years instead of being treated at psychiatric clinic? 
really?  
world became better place without this family around

• 5 months later...
On 29/05/2017 at 4:20 PM, NewVegasNick said:

How this has a sub 1000 player count in the month following release boggles my mind. The voice acting, the graphics, the story and the flow of the game is fantastic. Everything here is so great. Even the trophies are easy. You can get them all in about 2-3 hours. Edith Finch currently has an 88% on metacritic and has easy trophies. I'm curious why so few have played it so far. Is it a price thing?

Absolutely! I too just wanted to post my appreciation! 

This game is bloody brilliant ?

Can't believe I waited this long to play it (just now on PS5).

Just a marvel.

Annapurna you've done it again ? you and the game creators you work with are all creative and artistic genius', and true masters of your craft, you have my upmost respect and adoration for anything you create ??

Whenever I see the name Annapurna on something i know I'm gonna love it.

• Like 1