Emotionally biggest gaming moments

Sikatiiker

7 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Can't you not type [ spoiler ] text [ /spoiler ] (without the spaces) on mobile for spoiler tags?

I don't know, hold on.

test:

poeple who complain about spoilers must live in abject fear of the back-of-the-box synopsis 

ADDED:

Yes, apparently so!

I guess that solves your problem @Stevieboy, cheers.

though I stand by my assertion that not only do people enjoy spoiled stories more, but also that everyone opens all the spoiler tags anyways, then gets annoyed afterwards ;) 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I actually shed a tear in the True ending of Tales of Xillia 2.

Spoiler

Self sacrifice seems to come up quite a lot in Tales games. Ludger having to sacrifice himself and kill his brother on the way to save Elle was tragic. Also, the fact that he was her future father made it that bit more emotional. 

FFXV

Spoiler

I felt somewhat sorry for Prompto as he's kind of the odd one out in the group whilst being the weakest of the bunch. Also, him having to hide the fact that he's from Niflheim and him being to self conscious to talk to Noctis when he was in school. I can really relate to him this way, as my university was full of rich smart kids dipped in designer gear and Mac everything, while I was average at best and liked stuff like gaming and anime, which I had to hide from everyone for many years. 

Kingdom Hearts 365/2 days

Spoiler

Xion's death

In terms of happy moments: 

Lightning Returns

Spoiler

After the horrible ending in XIII-2 and all the stuff Lightning had to go through, I was very happy that she achieved a normal life in the end. She's my favourite FF character, so I really liked the ending scene where she gets of the train in normal clothing. The place she got off at reminds me of where my parents live in Ireland as well! 

Disappointing moments

FFX-2 HD remaster 

Spoiler

The drama CD addition to the game in the HD remake where Tidus and Yuna's relationship takes a turn for the worse was annoying, and the fact that Tidus dies in the 2.5 book (although he's revived again, possibly as another dream), irritated me as getting 100% in X-2 is a pain and seems like a wasted effort other than the trophy. I wish they just left it at the perfect ending without ruining the whole scenario with the audio drama and book.

• Like 1

Agro in Shadow of the Colossus

With Wander deteriorating throughout the entire adventure, Agro being his constant companion seemed to be the only thing keeping him together. She was as loyal to Wander in battle as she was nursing him to health afterward, even knowing what was happening to him. Losing her just confirmed that Wander was really was losing himself in this quest of being incapable of letting go. It was equally sad to see her fall as it was maddening to know the character you controlled was responsible in so many ways.

Edited by Spelunkette
Spoiler because with the remake, a lot of people will experience this for the first time soon.

THAT ONE EVENT!

In the original "The Darkness" game because before that I had never had a moment that I felt so sad and wanted revenge on a character so venomelsy on before.

Especially doesn't help that after that event if you go by a certain spot then there's a theme that'll play and the guilt always got to me even though it wasn't my fault.

To hell with Uncle Paulie!

Edited by ArtisticGeek
Typo

I know it's cheesy, but the Pokemon games have often really gotten me emotional. Even just listening to some classic tunes gets me right there nowadays. But it was the franchise that started it all for me, and I've been a loyal fan (to the main series at least, stopped buying every spin-off game around the late 4th gen) since day one.

Other than that, I think one of the most recent emotional moments in a game for me was the Last Guardian. I've always liked stories that paint a more realistic image of the relationship between humans and animals - while still remaining emotional/sentimental - and I feel like it succeeded in that, even to the point where trying to control Trico/Toriko was insanely annoying at times, but I personally like to play off the awkward controls to just pretending that he's hard to command because he's a wild animal.

Deadly Premonition:

Spoiler

The whole York/Zach relationship and Emily's fate. I've beaten in four times and still cry.

Life is Strange:

Spoiler

Sacrifice Chloe. I only watched it on Youtube because I would never, ever do it in my game and...yeah. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Silent Hill 3:

Spoiler

Heather finding Harry.

• Like 3

Mass Effect 3

Spoiler

Reuniting with garrus

Death of Mordin
Choosing between Tali & Legion

Virtue's last reward

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sudoku puzzle (true ending)

The entirety of To the moon. 5 hour emotional rollercoaster.

Special mention: Nier automata true ending & the entirety of drakengard 3.

Edited by xZoneHunter

Games dont usually get me emotional at all, but The Last of Us played with my feelings several times. It made me sad, happy and excited at different parts of the game. There were so many moments that affected me, from the death of Sarah or Riley to the ending of the game. Also the relation that Joel and Ellie built throughout the game is amazing. No game has ever had such an impact on me ever as The Last of Us has. Even the DLC is amazing and emotional.

Actual Sunlight. Like all of it. Especially some text sections that explored the narrator's inability to feel that they could please anybody and struggling to find meaning for existence.

That entire game was emotional. Then again, what do you expect from a game that explores depression and suicide? Great game though, one of the few games to make me shed tears.

The Walking Dead Season 2

My first time through at the ending. I shot Kenny and it felt like the right thing. Seeing everything he has gone through. Losing both his son and wife. My second time, I saved him but left him to wander alone. This time it didn't feel right to just leave him. After Lee, Kenny was my favorite. Oh man, tears were just running down my face and I was trying to reason with a video game.  

There are a ton of moments in gaming that really get me going but I'll just name off one that worked me up recently and that I don't think anyone else has mentioned. This one was in Uncharted 4...

Spoiler

The part where Drake and Elena fall down off a ledge after escaping a bunch of explosions. This is when Elena played dead and had Drake, and myself, all up in emotional distress, at least till she revealed she was just playing dead. Man, what a relief to hear it was just a prank. 

Then there are other moments that aren't for say from the games story or anything, but what that game just means to you as a gamer in general. For example I've been playing the remake of the Crash Bandicoot series and while the games themselves don't bring any special moments or feelings, the fact that I'm replaying a series of games that helped shape me as a gamer and just had so much fun with in the past coming back and being able to play them again brings such joy and emotion to my gaming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the more recent emotional gaming experiences that come into mind are Journey and Yomawari: A Night Alone.

In Journey I had another Traveler stick with me until the end of the game and it was a very powerful emotional experience. He/she was worried about me when I was attacked by a huge monster and I was thrown to the ground, made those chirping noises to try to communicate with me and hurried to my side to aid me. I don't want to spoil the game for anyone so I won't go into details, but in the last stretches of the game I "had something in my eye".. and a lot.

In Yomawari there were a couple of touching moments. The ending of the "cliff level" where the heroine showed compassion towards an enemy was a really nice addition. And the ending of the game was very moving as I had grown attached to the heroine who was powerless against all the vengeful spirits, trying to survive and find her dog and sister.

Without hesitation, Brothers : A tale of two sons.

I actually dropped a tear in the end.

Walking Dead Season 2. The ending is a terrible dilemma.

But Walking Dead Season 1 didn't really do anything for me. It was all too expected to get to me.