Platinum vs. 100% - What Really Matters?

52 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Even more fascinating about your profile is, that you don't achieve the 100% with multiple crap games but with rather "normal" and hard ones. Tbh I expected Steins Gate (which you should check out - 1 time 1f609.png) a dozen times, 2x my name is mayo, sound shapes a million times etc. but no. Really impressive, even if you avoid fighting games :D 

Hey man, I appreciate that. I can be an ass when I play PVP games (big character flaw I try to work on)

I had a big post typed out but figured it'd be better to keep it short so it doesn't hijack the thread. Again sry if this is disruptive at all. 

So here's a TLDR of what I was gonna write:  I like your profile too, finish that mirrors edge 100%, I like that you played majin and the forsaken kingdom (I never see people play it, weird huh), and ty for the compliment. :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

I'd rather have a 100% than a platinum but I often find that I don't want to be bothered with buying DLC. I usually only do that when I really liked the game and depending on how cheap it is. Like the platinum for MW3 only gets you about 60ish % which is disappointing (I'm usually happy with 70+%) but the 5 DLCs are all still full price, so yeah forget that.

It's also kinda disappointing (to me) when new DLC is released years later that includes trophies. I liked having 100% on GTA V but I just don't think I can be bothered with all the requirements for doing heists perfectly.

@Beyondthegrave07 I actually pay a bit more attention to the completion rates but that might just be me. I think it's just because it's interesting to see how dedicated people are to sticking with a game until it's completely done. But obviously a lot of people (like me) can't really keep up with the expense so I guess it doesn't mean that much.

That's fair, but I think a high completion rate is overrated. I could restart my profile and cherry pick my platinums or spend extra money on DLC too, but I don't think that says as much as a Resistance 2, Super meat boy, Vanquish, Catherine plats.

I'm not saying it's bad to have a high completion rate, I just normally don't pay much attention to it because many people restart their profiles over and over again. Especially, trophy hunters (a lot of people on the site)

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

Platinum.

5 hours ago, Kristycism said:

I think it's just a personal thing, and calling one meaningless over the other is just close-minded.  To some people, like yourself, getting the Platinum means the game is complete, and you can move on - and that's totally fine.  To others it's only complete when the bar says 100%, which is fine if that's how they want to spend their time.  And to others again, they don't need (or care about) either and want to play until the story is complete and then will happily drop the game whether they have the Plat/100% or not, which again is also totally fine.

I personally like seeing everything at 100%, because I'm a completionist and I can't help myself.  I'll happily buy DLC/grind for hours/do pointless things to get me to that 100% line, because that's what I, personally, like to do.

But I can understand why other people wouldn't want to do that, and I wouldn't judge someone even if they had zero games at 100% (although I must admit, I do kinda judge when they have an average rating of E or F, but that's like "why waste your money on so many games and not even play them?).  It could be because of the DLC cost, or the avoidance of grinding, or because they just don't care/don't want to, there's no need for anyone to explain why they don't want to.  And it's certainly not my (or anyone else's) place to judge them for it, positively or negatively.  People can play/plat/complete games how they personally want to, based on their own preference and when they personally think is a good time to put the game down.

Also my preference for completion at 100% may change when I play more games, and getting the 100% feels like more effort than it's worth, who knows.

Wow.  Common sense here.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

That's fair, but I think a high completion rate is overrated. I could restart my profile and cherry pick my platinums or spend extra money on DLC too, but I don't think that says as much as a Resistance 2, Super meat boy, Vanquish, Catherine plats.

I'm not saying it's bad to have a high completion rate, I just normally don't pay much attention to it because many people restart their profiles over and over again. Especially, trophy hunters (a lot of people on the site)

Well I guess it doesn't matter or mean much anyway since the 100%ers also have the plat lol.

• Like 1

For me I don't care about 100%, just the platinum. If something is not required for the platinum (such as a certain mini game or getting all items instead of say just 80%), then I won't waste time doing it. The reason is I don't like wasting time doing things that don't have a reward at the end, and also I have so many games in my back log and new games are coming out all the time, so I if I were to bother with 100% for every game, I's probably still be playing my PS2 or PS3 games now. I feel that the gaming world goes to fast, especially if one decides to try and 100% a game like Disgaea or FF. I am happy with just trophies and platinums, it's a nice addition and reward.

I feel great about platinum or 100%! I don't feel compelled to buy every DLC etc. just because it's there. Especially with games I didn't like much. DOOM is a good example of that. I had a good time with it but it's generally not my kind of game and doing all of that online MP stuff for DLC trophies would be void of any enjoyment.

Nothing matters. It only matters to the meaning you give it.

No matter how many trophies you get (100% or plat or both) there isn't a tangible reward. You don't get money (unless you count that $10 Sony Rewards for 10 plats, but that's small potatoes and that promotion won't last forever) for trophy hunting. You don't get a stronger and healthier body or mind. The world doesn't become any less chaotic. For the thirsty fellas, you can't go up to women and tell them, "Hey baby, want to see my plat/100% collection ??" Lol.

This truly is a hobby that only benefits the meaning that you, the individual, impose on it.

Truly the only people who benefit are people who design websites like this to satiate the egos of the masses, well masses of this very niche hobby lol. Certain YouTubers like PowerPyx and Harry94 who make some profit making guides (Who aren't the top people on the leaderboards,  the leaderboards are meaningless anyway and there isn't a central governing body) and of course Sony, who created this system and developers who know the game and make their games have an easy to plat. Know all those trophy whore friends you have? That's their target audience and they know those suckers will pay to play a game they don't even like because of an easy 100%/Plat. If trophies didn't exist, nobody would even play games like My Name is Mayo or Terminator Salvation. At the least, very very few.

I repeat again, whether it's 100% or a platinum, the only thing that matters is what the individual in question cares about, the community's perception is irrelevant, well unless you're a beta who wants to please everyone lol.

For me, I like sitting in a comfy chair and playing a videogame (I actually want to play), a sort of adventure, along the way I will enjoy and if it means I can get a plat or a 100%, why not? I paid for the game, I extract all the value I want from it at my discretion (unless said plat or 100% would take 500 hours or more, there are different limits for each person)

I wrote this too fast, probably a jumble of ideas, don't feel like writing a Shakespearean quality post about it lolz. Anybody want to argue or disagree be my guest lol.

Peace and love I guess? lmao

Edited by Super Sand Virginia
  • Like 1

Ever since I bought a PS4 it's more about wanting to experience as many games as my busy life will afford me. I still go for plats/100% when feeling up to the task, but I don't let it dictate how or what I play so much. It really boils down to the game and if it feels worth it for me, considering the time it'll take and how into the game I am.

Edited by Sofa King
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Thropy_Hore said:

platinum is designed to unlock only after you've done everything the devs felt was worth experiencing in their game

what unlocks after you achieve 100% ?  (serious question, cuz i've never bothered wasting my time with DLC  :) )

You get a sense of pride and accomplishment lmao.

+1 if you get the joke ;)

Also you're right, many people don't/shouldn't play dlc because they can't afford it or have friends too mooch off from, that's another issue, which is totally understandable  ;)

7 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Simple. Neither. All that matters is you're having a good time.

Yes you are correct :)

But then why so many people complain when they play Terminator Salvation or games like that. They don't seem to be having fun ?

They accidentally stumbled upon these shitty easy games they dislike? Honest mistake? LOL

Nice avatar change btw :D

• Like 1

Having a game at 100% looks nicer, however as long as I get my :platinum:, I'm happy. relax2 onion head I'm not about to spend an extra $10-$20 (or more) on a game just for a little extra %. ?

But if it's free DLC, that's another matter entirely, I'll definitely do that. :P However I think free DLC that has trophies too is fairly rare, the only game that comes to mind for me is Gravity Rush 2. :hmm: 

Trophies to me are an after thought. I play games that I think I'll like, so I usually don't mind going for the 100%.

The only exception to this is Arkham Knight, which has some really hard DLC, but it's a good enough game that I'll probably keep going back to it until I beat it.

8 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

When you look at someone's profile, do you look at their 100% count, or you look at their platinum count?

Personally, I look at the plats.

I like to look at at the difficult games.

I can always appreciate a long, hard, meaty plat.

Or sometimes I juggle with their milestones, caressing them with my eyes to see which one feels the most supple.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

7 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

You heard him guys! End the pointless conversation now and don't you dare to open up a similar topic in the future. 

Lol don't worry, these types of topics won't stop showing up.

• Like 1

Platinums are more important to me. Not going to spend as much as I would on another game or 2, for a little bit more content. Waste of money, in my opinion. I only buy DLC if it interests me (and usually only when it's on sale). 

I also like the idea of Platinums. I had an Xbox 360 for years, and achievements didn't give me nearly the same drive to 100% my games. Plats are what make trophy hunting more special in my eyes. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jaco said:

I also like the idea of Platinums. I had an Xbox 360 for years, and achievements didn't give me nearly the same drive to 100% my games. Plats are what make trophy hunting more special in my eyes. 

Yeah achievement points are lame, aesthetically at least...

Xbot: I have 923139102381908309128309128309821093821098309123.3 (repeating of course) achievement points.

Me: So...is that a lot? x)

PS...dude? :  I got 50 plats :)

Me: Nice >:)

PSdude: All of them Mayo tho ;)

Me: /Ovaries explode

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Any game without a platinum is basically telling you not to buy it because it has no worthwhile content, really I should thank the developers for the warning and saving me money. 

I can see where you're coming from, I've played a few platinum-less games, but by the time I hit 100%, I just don't feel satisfied without that beautiful :platinum: at the top of the list. admire2 onion head Especially since you can get rewarded for plats now via Sony Rewards, every 9-10 games you plat = $10 PSN credits. ^_^ 

9 hours ago, IntroPhenom said:

You're missing out on some great games with that attitude, mister.  :) 

At the same time, I agree with you too. :P There are definitely some fun games out there that don't have (deserve) a plat: Plants vs Zombies, The Walking Dead: Season 2, inFamous: Festival of Blood, Resident Evil 4...

Personally it depends how my feeling towards the game is when i'm playing it (or attempting to plat if you like) I use Battlefield bad company 2 as an example i loved it, i platted it, i got it to 100% at the time, but then another dlc came :facepalm: but it also doesnt mean im gonna get it again just to try and boost to 100% but i may do. 

My backlog depresses me which also contributes to me preferring plat to 100%. I work full time and wish i had more gaming time :|

I guess it's all down to time 

shakie19.png

30 minutes ago, Masamune said:

Especially since you can get rewarded for plats now via Sony Rewards, every 9-10 games you plat = $10 PSN credits. ^_^

I almost envy you guys across the pond with that reward scheme, but then I remember Trump :hmm:

• Like 3

IMO, completion doesn't matter. Does that say much? Hell no, look at my completion percentage. It's easy as hell for me to say that and feel that way.

However, it's so nice to be able to play whatever I want and not worry about hitting a certain quota, or it's deemed a failure. I'm too old to hunt for meaningless achievements in games. If I love something, hell yeah I'll do everything possible in a game so that I saw everything that it has to offer.

But do I put stock in an arbitrary number? Nope.

Inb4 someone stalks me and points out all the Telltale and My Name is Mayo plats I have. EXCELLENT DEDUCTION SHERLOCK! Please expose me for being a hypocrite! Can't wait! I might even buy Energy Invasion! Wow! Such hypocrisy! :lol: 

See what I mean? Trophy hunting in general creates such a negative stigma that is better suited for the teenagers that feel like they need to boast about their accomplishments. Frankly, it's an achievement for me to finish a game before I begin another at this point in my life.

A vast majority of the games I play don't have DLC or at least DLC with trophies so for me, they typically go hand in hand.  For games where I was planning on getting the DLC anyway, I would 100% it.  But for some games, i.e. the Lego Marvel game, well, I liked it.  But I also got it from the library.  Why buy DLC when I didn't even buy the game?

I'd say I prefer completion to platinums, though both are of equal (un)importance to me. I enjoy the platinum trophies, but I won't shy away from a game that doesn't have a platinum-- there are so many excellent ones that don't have them... Machinarium, Child of Light, Dear Esther, Hue, Back to Bed, Whispering Willows. I wouldn't have even cared if they had NO trophies. Being able to play them was reward enough.

I'm also not going to continue playing a game simply for a 100% or the platinum if I don't like it and it's too much effort to obtain. There's a couple games that are killing my completion that I'm probably not going back to unless I run out of other games to play. Then again, there are also games on my list that I didn't particularly like that I completed because it was easy enough to do it.

I don't tend to run into problems with DLC because very few of the games I play have content that adds trophies (just 2 games at the moment). Kind of bitter about the multiplayer Comrades DLC on FFXV... I don't play multiplayer so it's upsetting that they released DLC for it when it wasn't a requirement in the base game. It's a game I would like to 100% otherwise.

Edited by eigen-space