How many DualShock 4 controllers have broken for you?

Quink666

Since i bought my PS4 in 2014  i've used up 3 DS4 controllers, and i'm currently on my 4th brand new one. All of them had the exact same issue.

The :l3: deadzone got wonky and my character starts to walk - run - walk - run - walk - run all the time, which makes some escape sequences in games impossible to complete. 

With the time i play a controller roughly holds up for 1 year before it starts acting up. Given i play more then most people i still think they should last for more then 1 year.

Nothing else have ever broken always the :l3:. Always taken care of them really well, never threw them on anything like that.

So what's you experience?

Edited by Quink666

1 minute ago, Feral said:

Surprised you've gone through so many OP.

Anyway it's none for me, my original controller is going strong as I'd expect because it's only 4 years old.

Damn 4 years old. Wish i didn't have to spend 70 bucks a year on controllers. 

The annoying thing with my controllers is that it has always been the :l3: issue. Every other button works flawlessly.

Yeah that L3 mechanism rubbers are a piece of shit. Im wondering if heat and humidity have an issue on these controllers. I opened it up plenty of times to reset them in place and itll only work fine for maybe a week, then it goes wonky again!

Luckily only 1 of my 5 controllers have that issue. One of my others the L3 doesnt work too well with games that require press down to run.... so far only 2/5 is giving me issues though. Thank goodness! ><

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

15 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Yeah that L3 mechanism rubbers are a piece of shit. Im wondering if heat and humidity have an issue on these controllers. I opened it up plenty of times to reset them in place and itll only work fine for maybe a week, then it goes wonky again!

You can do a temp fix for it? Didn't even know that. Got to google and check it out. Might save some of the old ones i still have lying around.

The good thing about beeing on my 4th controller is that i have 3 controllers kinda "working" for games that require multiple controllers to platinum.

7 minutes ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

I've only had one from the start but recently got a second one just because I wanted a white one, if you aren't rough and clean it regularly then they should last.

I would even dare to use a white controller since it would get black within a few week. What can i say i got dirty hands from working and such =>

Edited by Quink666

My first one had the same "stop running" issue, so I bought a new one and used it for like a week. Then a buddy of mine tried using the first one and it worked flawlessly. So I tried it and for some reason it was working fine again, for months. Just within the last week or so it has started doing it again though, very rarely, but I can see the writing on the wall lol.

Thankfully I have a second one though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

You can do a temp fix for it? Didn't even know that. Got to google and check it out. Might save some of the old ones i still have lying around.

The good thing about beeing on my 4th controller is that i have 3 controllers kinda "working" for games that require multiple controllers to platinum.

This may work for some if you dont want to take controller apart(I know my first time was very scary, it felt like Ill break more of it.)

Push your stick down into the hole, should be a little gap, blow hard around the rim. Push it down and Twirl it around a few times while blowing into it. Sometimes its just dust, dirt, dead skin from the rubbing.

24 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

I would even dare to use a white controller since it would get black within a few week. What can i say i got dirty hands from working and such =>

I'm in the same boat as you. It often happens to people that tend to play FPS games a lot. It's called the "Sprint glitch" and someone on Reddit made a post about it that could potentially fix the issue. As for myself I've never been able to fix this issue unfortunately. I even used a screwdriver to open up my controller and spray that stuff on the buttons but nothing did work. Might fix the problem for you though. It's worth a shot i guess.

• Like 3

My black launch day DS4 I had to replace because the rubber on the thumbstick wore off.

Blue DS4, same as above.

My gold DS4 fell on the floor and something inside came loose. It still works but I don't like using it, which is a shame because I loved that controller.

• Like 1

Only one for me so far (it was the original controller on the PS4 I purchased on launch day). It made it three years (to November of 2016) before the analog sticks started acting up and by Christmas of that year, I replaced it with a new one.

• Like 1

My original controller that came with the console (Dec, 2017) is already starting to shows signs of breaking.

Right stick drifts to the left very slightly from time to time. Super annoying in many games when the camera starts rotating around the character.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Venocide said:

My black launch day DS4 I had to replace because the rubber on the thumbstick wore off.

Blue DS4, same as above.

My gold DS4 fell on the floor and something inside came loose. It still works but I don't like using it, which is a shame because I loved that controller.

I have always used thumbstick grips. I am still using the first ones i bought in 2014 and they are good for another 4 years atleast. It's a good grip and doesn't wear out the controller thumbsticks. I originally bought them because i didn't like the concave design of the thumbsticks, having a convex thumbstick feel alot more ergonomic imo. But now i use them so i don't wear out the controller rubber and for the improved grip it offers.

2d13d4cdbddeb1fc9bd1ce30fac0acfe.jpg

11 minutes ago, HusKyCode said:

My original controller that came with the console (Dec, 2017) is already starting to shows signs of breaking.

Right stick drifts to the left very slightly from time to time. Super annoying in many games when the camera starts rotating around the character.

Yeah i have that on most controllers aswell. But it is usually so small you can ignore it.

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

1, and L3 too, I've switched both motion sensors from R3 to this place and nothing has changed, left turn still in half of full angle form time to time. Current joystick is still alive and well.

Same on my first Controller half a year ago. Switching the sensors apparently doesnt help (for everyone). 

1 hour ago, Floriiss said:

I'm in the same boat as you. It often happens to people that tend to play FPS games a lot. It's called the "Sprint glitch" and someone on Reddit made a post about it that could potentially fix the issue. As for myself I've never been able to fix this issue unfortunately. I even used a screwdriver to open up my controller and spray that stuff on the buttons but nothing did work. Might fix the problem for you though. It's worth a shot i guess.

Thanks, next time I have issues with the thumbstick, I'll also try WD-40. Seems to be working for a lot of people.

• Like 1

I've had 1 completely mess up on me, it wouldn't turn on or nothing. Another one I got started messing up just a few months after I got it (the :l3: was actings kinda glitchy in certain positions, it might be that sprint glitch Floriiss mentioned?), however the last time I used it, I didn't notice anything wrong with it, so I'm hoping it was temporary. :hmm: 

Ironically the best one I have is the one that first came with my PS4 (day one model), & the rubber completely tore apart on the :l3: on that one. :facepalm: But thankfully I still had my first busted one, so I swapped out the sticks on them to fix it up. ^_^ 

• Like 1

I've had two break on me.  I don't know what happened to my first one.  I'd hit R2 and start moving right.  It made it kind of hard to play games like Final Fantasy XIV where you hold R2 to use your skills and moving interrupts your casting.

And Oceiros happened to my second controller.  I don't throw controllers, ever.  If I start getting mad I just breath and take a break.  But this fight.  Something about it just pissed me off.  I was doing that thing where you mock the character.  I was giving him, "Ocelot where are you, Ocelot," in Big the Cat's voice.  There's this attack where he jumps up and breathes ice.  I dodged that move perfectly everytime.  He's just once hit away from death.  And he used that move.  I took a breath and dodged like normal and then he fucking swerved.  He never did that before.  And then as soon as he landed, he hit me with his tail and I died.  I chucked my controller across the room.

I liked it too, it was red.

Edited by Ekenier
  • Like 1

I currently have four DUALSHOCK 4 controllers but two of them are not working properly. All buttons are functional with the two controllers but when I move around in games, they make my characters walk normal then slowly stop then back normal, like a skip is my best way to describe it hehe

• Like 1