Anyone Hyped for Anthem?

Wavergray

I am, in the sense of "I hope it does well so the next Dragon Age game doesn't suck" sorta way. X3 

I'm not too much into shooters. But the way It's being talked about sounds like if it doesn't do well, no more Bioware. That's just what I've heard anyway. It's make or break. 

2 hours ago, PoisonJam7 said:

Fuck no. It’s exactly what I DONT want in a game with two of my least favorite genres; Multiplayer, and Shooter. 

It really pisses me off that BioWare is wasting their time with bullshit like this. They’re known for single player RPGs, and I’m all for them trying new things, just not this crap.

Yeah, they're known for single player rpg's... As long as you completely ignore the fact that almost half of their games have multiplayer and their highest grossing game is an MMO lol.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

I'm very excited for this game despite all the unnecessary hate it's been getting. It's like people are just hoping it fails before they've even played it. Sure EA has some shitty business practices but it doesn't mean the studios under their belt aren't capable of delivering good games. 

Even in the chance they put out a 'good game' it will be marred by predatory practices because it's published by EA. This is a company that wants to milk every player for all they're worth for *every* game they release. No thank you. Especially on a "service" game, which when they shut down all that money invested in crappy loot boxes or other crappy micro-transactions is poof. Gone forever. What a good use of our time and money. Not for me.

If you're excited, bully for you. But if the people "hoping it fails" had their way, you'd get better games. So I don't see why you're complaining about people complaining about crappy EA practices.

39 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Yeah, they're known for single player rpg's... As long as you completely ignore the fact that almost half of their games have multiplayer and their highest grossing game is an MMO lol.

"Best known for". And they are. To say otherwise is hilarious. Square Enix is best known for RPGs. Doesn't mean that's all they make, but they are best known for that.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

"Best known for". And they are. To say otherwise is hilarious. Square Enix is best known for RPGs. Doesn't mean that's all they make, but they are best known for that.

Yeah, in that sense definitely. But he was making it sound like they have no experience with something like this. Which they undoubtedly do. They've already made great games in this space.

• Like 1

I am starting to get excited for this and in the same time i have some fear that this game will become a new destiny as i have a very bad history with destiny

i will pre order this by the end of the week so i can try the early access beta in 15 16 and 17 this month

I was all in the moment it was announced that Bioware was cooking up something, and it may not just be the C-team working on it this time around. I was out the moment I started getting Destiny vibes from it. I really hated Destiny.

9 hours ago, Phil said:

AAA already = super caution for me. EA = stay the fuck away. EA doesn't do anything out of the good graces of their open heart. They probably figured out a way to get your personal information when you play Anthem so they can sell it. They have to pay their exects those 100,000,000+ contracts somehow. 

7 hours ago, EightBitArtist said:

it blows my mind that people will still pre order games, ESPECIALLY EA games. every game they have launched since BF4 has been an absolute shit show in the beginning. also with BFV going 50% off a week after release, why not just a week to read reviews and see. you could end up saving $30. mark my words, if anthem doesnt sell gangbusters its first week, EA will hold a big sale for it just like they did BFV.

Because people are stupid and they don't do their research.

If you're a guy who didn't know anything about EA until 2017, then Star Wars Battlefront 2 was basically proof that you DO NOT PREORDER games and except EA to deliver on them.

EA is shit. I can't say that enough, but the brain dead masses continue to buy their games. I still blame the controversy of Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3 to be EA's doing.

Not at all - I no longer trust these companies to give us a game we will love, only a game their shareholders will.

I will wait until the full game is released, not the first 25%, see how reviews, microtransactions / loot boxes / dlc / season passes and whatever other insidious crap is on display and then decide.

All trust has gone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

Not at all - I no longer trust these companies to give us a game we will love, only a game their shareholders will.

I will wait until the full game is released, not the first 25%, see how reviews, microtransactions / loot boxes / dlc / season passes and whatever other insidious crap is on display and then decide.

All trust has gone.

That doesnt make any sense.   No company has ever made a game you all love. Shareholders don't love products. Shareholders love a return on their investment. A product has to sell well to consumers in order to be profitable for the business and its investors. 

Stop treating game makers like they were ever a personal friend.  

5 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

I think once lootboxes open up a lootbox which has a chan e yo open up another lootbox to get a key to attempt another lootbox.

Id probably quit gaming lmao.

Imo lootboxes and anything associated with promoting gambling nature is utter cancer and ruining the industry.

Anthem is a hard pass for me

What loot boxes are in Anthem?

Doesn't the whole RNG nature of loot based games like WoW, Diablo, and Borderlands promote gambling...well your very loose understanding of gambling?

BL actually has a loot chest that can only be opened with special keys. Then there's all the farming for random weapons/mods. 

Where was the hate for loot boxes when all these streamers do their 100 loot box opening videos?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

That doesnt make any sense.   No company has ever made a game you all love. Shareholders don't love products. Shareholders love a return on their investment. A product has to sell well to consumers in order to be profitable for the business and its investors. 

Stop treating game makers like they were ever a personal friend.  

Not treating your playerbase/fans like shit and focusing on quality and content instead of microtransactions and paywalls is a good way to sell copies. It has nothing to do with us thinking of EA or Bioware as our "personal friends", it is about standing up to bullshit practices and letting the companies and their shareholders know that if you're going to try and milk us for every penny we have, then you're going to fail.

Of course every company needs to make a profit and investors expect their money. That doesn't mean we shouldn't let them know when they're wrong, and stop buying their trash games. You can still hold them accountable for their actions and expect better of them. There is a middle-way between entitlement and indifference.

Edited by SinisterPledge
  • Like 2

I was actually into the idea of Anthem hoping it would be a better version of Destiny.  A friend of mine and I play Destiny 2 on the Xbox pretty regularly and it's always been a good time.  It seems like people have a bone to pick with Bungie/Activision but I typically don't get into this consumer drama that gamers seem to thrive on these days.  If a game is fun, it's fun.  If it isn't, don't buy it.  Don't put labels on it, don't come up with excuses.  There's no law that you have to buy/like every game that comes out, and turn everything you don't into a "cause" to fight.  Just don't buy it.  Let your money talk for you.  End of story.

If Anthem is like Destiny, it'll probably be fun too IMO.

That being said... after trying Anthem hands on a little while ago, I'll just say I'm less interested now.  Will probably wait and see what reviews say.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Not treating your playerbase/fans like shit and focusing on quality and content instead of microtransactions and paywalls is a good way to sell copies. It has nothing to do with us thinking of EA or Bioware as our "personal friends", it is about standing up to bullshit practices and letting the companies and their shareholders know that if you're going to try and milk us for every penny we have, then you're going to fail.

This is Anthem not BFV. None of you activists were treated like shit. Also, none of you know the quality of the game as of yet or the scope of any supposed micro-transactions. 
What are you standing up for with Anthem? No actual example? Still waiting for some clickbait youtuber or trash website to tell you how to argue against this game? I'll wait.

Of course every company needs to make a profit and investors expect their money. That doesn't mean we shouldn't let them know when they're wrong, and stop buying their trash games. You can still hold them accountable for their actions and expect better of them. There is a middle-way between entitlement and indifference.

Assuming people like you know when something "wrong" has occurred. You guys also haven't figured out how to respond to a company that has transgressed you at some point and then improved. This isn't BFV. What are you doing on a podium?

rng in game items aren't the problem here so comparing diablo and borderlands is silly.

RNG in games is the very foundation of how loot boxes work. In respect to WoW and Diablo players were able to sell their lucky find for in-game money or in D3 case, actual money. So yeah, a person with deep enough game knowledge can the comparison. The Golden Keys only involved real money when given out as bonuses from buying DLC and pre-ordering. For the most part they are part free giveaways from various social media accounts. A gamer still wants their golden keys to provide beneficial guns from loot boxes. Basically and essentially gambling for in-game advantages.

I dont expect anthem to be quality, and I actually have quite the disdain for the destiny clone as it is.

It's a game with guns and loot. The likeness to Destiny is barely a matter of mechanics which many games share. It being a Destiny clone is not a statement that tells anyone how well the game was made. Sort of like how The Surge, Ni Oh, and Momodora can all be called Souls-clones. The similarity is not a comment on the quality of the individual games.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

First Bioware game I am not buying since Baldur's Gate II (PC released in 2000) though I skipped Jade Empire because I didn't have an XBOX.

If it turns out to be a great RPG with a great story I might get it later, but I highly doubt that will be the case. I just can't see it working in a game that is also focused on multiplayer and is designed to be constantly expanded.

I hope BioWare lives long enough to make Dragon Age 4 and gets another shot at Mass Effect, I am worried about their future in Anthem fails.

Edited by tpepper1985

You seriously can't compare in game rng items to buying rng lootboxes its absolutely insane to do that imo.

I made the comparison and explained it for 3 different games. All you can do is repeat that you think it's insane while giving no reasoning or explanation.

I vaguely mentioned destiny as far as the game being shit and anthem also more than likely being a pile of shit.

I, again, explained why just being like another game is not enough to judge quality.

I'm not saying rng isn't involved in lootboxes but in game items being rng can't compare to spending $1000 to get an item in a game.

Except my examples of Diablo and WoW have people paying more for items on their respective Auction Houses. If we make it just about players then billions of dollars are made from players selling CSGO skins to other players. So yes, comparing works.

Considering the fact cosmetics were not unlockable to begin with shows EAs push to add lootboxes in many of their future titles.

Fact? That's something lacking from every post you make. You have no source on what is or isn't unlockable in the game. There has only been hints that there would be some way to buy colors/shaders. That doesn't automatcallyu mean there's no in-game way to earn extra colors or shaders.

Its an action based shooter that imo won't be that great.

That's a very poor way to express an opinion.

If it turns out to be a polished piece of shit, well its still shit, but polished.

Also not to mention bioware hasn't been good in ages and I can not justify spending $60 on hot trash.

No logic is being used here.