What is your least favorite trophy requirement?

iGGTheEnd

Requirements  

529 members have voted

1. 1. Least fave requirement

• Missables
    • Multiplayer
    • Grinding
    • Collectables
    • Speed run
    • Replaying the game multiple times
    • S or Star ranks
    • Difficulty related
    • Other

15 hours ago, XLordXNightmareX said:

Other. Meaning Difficulty trophies. Most of the time they prevent me from getting the platinum trophy -_-

Same here.  I am really bad with these and usually can only beat the hard difficulties if there is an exploit.  Every time I hear git gud I would like groups of people to enjoy an endless purgatory. 

• Like 1

I voted for difficulty related, but imo the S or Star Ranks is pretty much the same to me. In hindsight, I should have voted for that actually.. hm.. 

I hate multiplayer too, but my relationship with MP games has become much better since I joined this site and use the boosting more often. It's still a pain in the ass, but when it works then it's amazing. I got some pretty rare, cool trophies because of boosting

If I have to  rank them from worst to best:

0 Time Limited trophies 

1 Multiplayer, especially ps4 games that puts me on a timer

2 Collectables fuck 'em

3 Missables,  basically I need to check the trophy guides and get spoilers, because I no longer have the time for multiple playthroughs

4 Speedruns, I detest them, they suck the soul of games out of me.

5 Grind I don't mind grinding, but it shouldn't be something retarded like

Dragonball Fighterz or the first Injustice.

6 S Rank, nothing much to say, I mean, it depends on the requirements.

7 Difficulty. Similiar to S Rank, it helps more to see the mechanics of the game, sometimes it hurts more than necessary though, games like Bioshock Infinite shows  their clunkiness in game mechanics and I just stop proceeding, even though people say that story is one of the best.

Edit: I went and voted Multiplayer, since time limited trophies are rare but it seems half the voter base agrees, haha, never expected that high percentage.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

Almost everything from the poll can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the way how it's included in the game.

Speedrunning shorter segments of the game, difficulty related trophies (where hard mode is done right, not just "increase health of enemies and damage taken"), collectibles (shown on map) or multiplayer (try different online modes) are good way to increase game longetivity, the only roadblock here might be if you liked the game enough or not. The only thing that's truly a fake longetivity is missable trophies or replaying the game multiple times (if it's not roguelike) - because you have to play the exactly same game again.

However I voted for multiplayer trophies because every time I see them I sigh in irritation. This is also the only kind of trophy that may be not the same for everyone (except patched games), because playerbase always changes (e.g. Diamond cup in Rayman Legends with PS+ days on PS4 was very doable, now on PSVita is almost impossible/requires tremendous dedication time outside of glitched challenges, and that's the mild example). And, what was stated here already, can be unobtainable in future, sometimes a very close future.

Edited by sashamence

I voted for Other, mostly because it's a combination of nearly all of them. Before, I would have immediately said Multiplayer, but I have since played some games that made me share my hatred for online trophies with a few other categories on the podium.

• Missables: Generally not all that bad unless they make you replay the entire game from scratch and the missable is in the middle or near the end of a long game. Though I usually try and use a guide to see if there are any missables before even starting to play. Veredict: Annoying, but there are worse things.

• Multiplayer: Hate them, hate them, hate them. Multiplayer trophies come with an expiry date attached considering you have until either the community abandons the game or the developers shut down the servers. Some of them aren't that bad considering they're easy to get by yourself or easily boosted, but those that require massive amounts of grinding and/or cooperation with tons of people can fuck right off (I still have cold sweats when thinking about how hard it was to get the Platinum for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood). Not to mention, now on PS4 you even have to shell out for Plus to even be able to get them. There's basically no way to win with multiplayer trophies. I think they should only ever be a thing in exclusively or heavily multiplayer-focused games. Verdict: Kill these with fire.

• Grinding: I don't really mind these... in moderation. If it's the kind of thing that makes you spend an insane amount of time doing the exact same thing for no reason other than getting the trophy (like Dragon Ball FighterZ's Set for Life - which is, unsurprisingly, the rarest trophy out of all my games), then it can fuck right off. Worse still if it's tied to an extremely unforgiving RNG (see yet another Dragon Ball game: Dragon Ball Xenoverse). But if it's under, let's say, 10 hours, then it's fine. Verdict: It's okay unless taken too far.

• Collectibles: I actually like these. Even if I have to use a guide, I don't mind. Only way they're bad is if there's absolutely no guide on the Internet telling you where to go... which is fortunately a rarity these days. Verdict: Bring them on.

• Speed run: There are worse things. As long as it's not brutally unforgiving, I'll just watch a video guide to check the fastest way to get it done and I'll do it in no time. Verdict: If they're not militarily unforgiving, they're fine.

• Replaying the game multiple times: Hmm... depends on the game and the amount of times needed to replay it. This generally happens a lot with hack-and-slashes, but since I really like hack-and-slashes and the increased playthroughs grant me the opportunity to not only get more collectibles but also get better at the game, I don't really mind these all that much... unless they're like Bayonetta, where you have to play the game no less than 15 times. I mean, I really like Bayonetta... but this is a bit too much (fortunately, Bayonetta 2 is a lot more reasonable). Verdict: They're okay as long as the game is fun and the amount of playthroughs is reasonable (let's say no more than 4 times).

• S or Star ranks: Depends on how hard it is to get. I can generally do these fine unless they're like Taiko no Tatsujin, which requires you to have the reflexes of Bruce Lee and as many arms as Shiva. Verdict: Like speed runs, as long as they're not militarily unforgiving, it's fine.

• Difficulty related: Same as above, as long as it's not insanely, infuriatingly difficult, I'll manage.

Based on some of the discussion here, I'm getting the impression that trophy rarity and value are not things that many people aim for? Mostly those who would prefer no speed-run trophies, difficulty based, S-rank, (etc) trophies. I find completing a speed-run to be a huge accomplishment, well worthy of the trophy behind it. My beef with multiplayer stems mostly from games where your wins aren't accepted should the opposing player disconnect in order to avoid tarnishing their meaningless records. However, some of the multiplayer trophies I've gotten and seen in others' lists I find to be impressive because they are testaments to coordination, patience, and skill (unless boosted).

If the trophy types we hate were removed from the games, then would we even want to hunt trophies? If everyone could easily 100% or plat said game, then where's the value in doing it? I find completing a high rarity set to be very fulfilling, even if they are made up of aggravating trophy requirements.

• Like 3

1. Replaying - When they make you complete a game just to unlock the hardest difficulty, then you have to complete it again. JUST GIVE PEOPLE THE OPTION TO START ON ANY DIFFICULTY! ? 
  2. Missables - The last thing you want to do is playthrough a game and then complete it only to find you have to play it a certain way or you've missed something that could be near the very end and there is no chapter select where you can do it. It kind of forces you to check before you start which spoils the playthrough
  3. Multiplayer - I dont mind multiplayer as long as they dont force you to play with 2-3 other players or you cant get certain trophies. I had this problem with games like Black Ops 2, GTA V and Payday 2 where you have no choice but to find 3 players because they are unobtainable solo. Just give people the choice to do both

I don't mind multiplayer trophies as long as I can get them just by playing with my boyfriend. I am not a fan of having to replay games for trophies as that is time I could be spending on another game but the completionist in me won't let me move on lol. Although if it's on new game+ and I can keep all my upgrades so I destroy everything and go through as fast as possible, that can be fun.

I'll probably go with missables, particularly in an open world or long game as it's something to worry about although that said, the added pressure can make it fun. Multiplayer can be bad as it depends on the game but a lot of games you can boost and I'm better than the average player so some legit things aren't bad either although multiplayer would be the worst in the sense of servers closing and connection issues. Difficulty, speedruns, sranks and multiple playthroughs are great in games I really enjoy but sometimes it can be unnecessary and boring so I think it more depends on the actual game rather than the type of trophy.

Any multiplayer trophies that require numerous people to acquire. I'm talking typically about older games that require you to lock out a lobby so you don't have to deal with randoms wrecking your session (Crysis 3 is a good example) or games that have trophies asking multiple people to all be online at the same time. An example would be the '8 Players meet in the Wildcats' Baseball Stadium' trophy requirement in Burnout Paradise. When you have to factor in different time zones, individuals work schedules and sleep schedules etc. it just becomes a massive hassle to attempt to organise, even more so when all of that organising is for a trophy that's can be obtained within minutes... Obviously the second example is a lot less frustrating than the first but neither are entirely favourable. Anything over 3/4+ people is just a bit overkill in my opinion.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, DesmaBR said:

Multiplayer.

Way more inconsistent than other kinds of trophies, because you also have to rely on other people

Ya the only time I don't mind multiplayer trophies is if the game is exclusively multiplayer and its a game all my friends are playing at the time.

I hate Anything that isnt just handed to me

i hate having to earn trophies

just give them to me like when you first boot up Sly Cooper for the first time, ding! Trophy

seriously though, how is Sucker Punched! at 99.87% and not 100 is beyond me

its literally unmissable!!!

but in all honesty, most of this response is just sarcasm.  I hate all trophy requirements ;)

HEY GUYS

GUYS LISTEN

GUYS

WHAT IF WE

HEY LISTEN GUYS

WHAT IF WE

GUYS PLEASE

WHAT IF WE MADE THEM KILL A MILLION PLAYERS LMAO

And grinding in general. Or rather, some grinding is ok, but just forcing me to repeat one thing for thousands of times more than necessary is an insult. Tales of games are egregious with this. Any "get max lvl in multiplayer" can fuck off too.

• Like 2

Speed runs. I’m pretty slow at games even when following a guide. Even though the ones I’ve done had fairly lenient time limits I just don’t enjoy constantly having to think about rushing though each area. Have no clue why ND thought UC4 needed one.

Not a fan of mountains of collectibles either. I like ones that are useful (like outfits, music etc) that are preferably relatively easy to find (some collectibles can be in pretty cheap places that you probably wouldn’t find without a guide). That’s not very common though and a lot of open world games just have hordes of collectibles you can’t even make use of to force you to spend more time in the game. Assassin’s Creed games (at least the ones I’ve played) were pretty bad for this and GTA to some extent (pigeons = shit, but the spacecraft parts at least got you a cool buggy, though I’ll never forget getting the reward on the PS3 version, then promptly getting it permanently stuck after reversing onto a tyre pile they decided to put right outside the garage while it autosaved). I prefer text to video guides for the most part so it can get annoying to constantly pause a long video until you travel to where the next collectible is, it usually takes me at least double the length of the video to finish.

Edited by Charizarzar

• 3 weeks later...

Online/multiplayer trophies are the worst for me. I'm not much of an online gamer in general, so I'll almost always ignore the online trophies. Especially if they're trophies with requirements like "get 50 super rare multiplayer kills, which can only be achieved under specific circumstances", or "win 20 matches against total strangers, most of whom are wayyy better at this game than you are." Nope, not happening.

I did enjoy the online trophies in Journey, though.

It's between collectible and multiplayer trophies.

I'm with OP on hating looking at guides mid playthrough, especially for collectibles. Multiplayer trophies have never been my thing either as I'm usually a single-player only kind of dude and most online trophies require grinds, which I have zero patience for.