Opinions on "Easy" platinums.

DecSim01

• 4 months later...

I've never had a huge issue with what people want to earn on their profiles, but I honestly wouldn't like it if I had just a load of crap on my profile. I suppose if you're playing stuff like Telltale that's fine as it's the story that brings it out and not the trophies, movie tie in games as you might like the actual movie, or stuff like Duke Nukem 3D as it's an old game that has some substance with the gameplay in itself.

It's when I see all that crap like the Vita shovelware or stuff like My Name is Mayo that I would never platinum. It just seems far less impressive to me considering that you don't really put any effort in to earn a platinum. I find it at the end of the day if someone has 5 platinums that are all rare or below, it's more impressive than someone who has 100 but 75 of them are like no lower than 70%

On 2/9/2019 at 0:29 PM, DecSim01 said:

I recently just got done with two "easy" platinum's (one took literally seconds and the other took around an hour) and I was wondering what other people thought of "easy" plats? Do you think its cheating or do you think they're good for building up your trophy list. Interested to hear what other people think.

I personally enjoy them. I like having a sense of a "win," seeing another completed game on my list, giving me the opportunity to play something I normally wouldn't be exposed to or thought of playing, increasing my trophy level, like the typical lower cost of the game, being part of a community that enjoys these types of games, bragging rights, making fun of friends and myself when I want to, I can go on and on with reasons. I am a trophy hunter and I hunt trophies where-ever they may lie. Getting some low hanging fruit is always fun!

• Like 2

They ruined the trophy system imo. Devalues all trophies regardless of difficulty in other games. With how easy it is to get a plat now a days it takes away that sense of accomplishment in earning a plat. They turn that "YES!" into = more of a "oh another one, moving on". Most people haven't been around in the earlier days of trophies so they don't understand how much more awesome that time was. Plats were harder, longer, more fun, made you finish the game. Difficulty ratings of 3/10 back in the day are considered like 5/10 now. Trophy counts are becoming more and more meaningless. Likewise leaderboards and trophy comps are nothing more than who can play the most 15 min plats.

Trophy lists have ruined many games now a days imo. First off they are just used as a cash grab to get people to play absolutely abysmal games that hardly anyone would buy otherwise and this encourages more of this trash to be produced. Second, it used to be that one of the reasons people say they platted games was to 100% see the game and all it had to offer....well no longer, now you play like 1/10th of a game and get the plat. Even bigger name games are getting easier, like new CoD for example

Edited by MrUnknown625
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MrUnknown625 said:

They ruined the trophy system imo. Devalues all trophies regardless of difficulty in other games. With how easy it is to get a plat now a days it takes away that sense of accomplishment in earning a plat. They turn that "YES!" into = more of a "oh another one, moving on". Most people haven't been around in the earlier days of trophies so they don't understand how much more awesome that time was. Plats were harder, longer, more fun, made you finish the game. Difficulty ratings of 3/10 back in the day are considered like 5/10 now. Trophy counts are becoming more and more meaningless. Likewise leaderboards and trophy comps are nothing more than who can play the most 15 min plats.

Trophy lists have ruined many games now a days imo. First off they are just used as a cash grab to get people to play absolutely abysmal games that hardly anyone would buy otherwise and this encourages more of this trash to be produced. Second, it used to be that one of the reasons people say they platted games was to 100% see the game and all it had to offer....well no longer, now you play like 1/10th of a game and get the plat. Even bigger name games are getting easier, like new CoD for example

I feel like you're baiting someone to ask you that if you believe any of what you just wrote why do you have over 1100 "ezpz" plats on your account? You believe what you're doing has been incredibly devalued and has become pointless yet you're probably one of the worst offenders... I can't see how that's a healthy attitude to have with this stuff.

• Like 1

Eh... Quality control would be nice, but I don't know where you draw the line between a good game and a bad game or an easy plat and a hard plat. I personally think there are a lot of "easy" games that worth playing, and far be it from me to say that somebody shouldn't play a certain game just because I think it looks bad or has a platinum that can be earned in under an hour.

This is the same problem I had in school where I tried to say my parents, "Hey, I got an A in gym," as if that made up for a lesser grade in algebra. Ultimately, it's the subject that matters, and I think anybody who enjoys the games they're playing or has fun with their own method of trophy hunting is doing just fine.

On my previous profile I did play some 'gimme' platinums when they would pop up on the super cheap sales for some easy plats for when the Sony Rewards were still offering gift card redeeming points for earning trophies. My Name is Mayo, Mr. Masssagy...I got some really good laughs out of them for being so absurd but looking back on it, I did regret playing them to inflate my plat numbers. It was a factor when I decided to make this profile with the goal of a high completion rate but only with 'real' games that I wanted to play and to challenge myself. 

Obviously though, if people want to play them to inflate numbers, let them have it. It is all about what makes a person happy when playing a game and if platinum numbers do that then who am I to judge? Now if there was a tangible, realistic reward in trophy rankings, I might get salty about it and consider them cheating or unfair in the grand scheme of things. But for me personally, I am staying away from them since they just don't give the same sense of satisfaction of completing them as I do more substantial gaming experiences.

This topic for the 8 millionth time. Haha.

Idc if other people go after these plats. If you want to get a half decent leaderboard rank or get 500+ plats, you basically have to.

I know I have my fair share on my profile, but recently I’ve been trying to do more AAA and moderate-to-hard games. I don’t plat every single title I start, but I personally find it more rewarding. It’s also cost effective since I don’t have to spend 25 bucks getting all the region stacks of a half hour game :) 

3 hours ago, MrTrofyHuntr said:

I personally enjoy them. I like having a sense of a "win," seeing another completed game on my list, giving me the opportunity to play something I normally wouldn't be exposed to or thought of playing, increasing my trophy level, like the typical lower cost of the game, being part of a community that enjoys these types of games, bragging rights, making fun of friends and myself when I want to, I can go on and on with reasons. I am a trophy hunter and I hunt trophies where-ever they may lie. Getting some low hanging fruit is always fun!

There is very little on your profile a lot of others couldn’t do themselves. Apart from stuff like Dead Space 2 and the like, I can easily do 80 percent of your games in just a couple short months. 

I hate to sound elitist, but sometimes I look at a profile like yours and can’t help but think some of those were purely for inflating the numbers. 

The way a lot of those games just hand out gold trophies like Halloween candy is just stupid. Plus many of those Ratalalika Games you only have to do 10 - 20 percent of the actual game. 

Participation awards at their finest.

3 hours ago, MrUnknown625 said:

Well said. 

At least Hakoom has some pretty hard stuff completed, and has some time consuming AA - AAA games, so I’ll grant him those. But a lot of it is completing those 15 - 30 minute platinums, for what is essentially very little gameplay value. 

Vita is definitely one of the worst offenders. I just love how these “cheap” games automatically give you the PS4/Vita version for free. They intentionally made six stacks so you can buy them three times each, which comes out to roughly $10 - 15 depending on the price. There’s no beating the game, or even playing most of the game. 

At least with Teslagrad & Undertale you have to play through the vast majority of them, even though getting the platinums before getting to the end is still bullshit. But these stacks? Participation awards. Collectibles that a two to three year old kid could find on their own. Just... ugh. 

Glad to see you shared your opinion, which I undoubtedly agree with.

I think they have their place conditionally so I don't exactly disregard people who have them.

For example, just this past week I went on an "easy" platinum splurge by platinuming some Artifex Mundi* games, some children's games (Adventure Time*), some 2 hour or so plats (Skyscrappers*, Energy Invasion, Gem Smashers*), and some play through the story and you can't miss a thing if you follow a guide games (Black Mirror*). Now were they all enjoyable? That's debatable for like 2 of those. But....I basically needed those plats to complete my 10 plats for 10 dollars pass on Sony Rewards (as it ended today). It can be said I didn't really neeeed to do that or play those games specifically, but the easier the game = the likelier I got to 10 starting from 0. *Note I actually didn't buy all the games on my 10 plat quest since I used the PS Now service for some. And it's 10 dollars on top of it, as long as it gets recorded (if not, I just increased my plat count).

My situation might have been unique but for others, they might be at plat 98 and want to do a specific plat at 100. Why do a long game if you almost have number 100 ready?  An easy plat can get you there quicker. Or let's say you've played a 100 hour game/grindfest. Let's have an easy game to prevent burnout or frustration. 

Point is.... let people play what they want to play.

• Like 2

I don't care for them if they're too easy like under 1 hour with little to no effort. It just seems like a cash grab but I have played a few and regretted it. I rarely focus on the platinum trophy in my games anyway because I hate playing online and refuse to boost so that makes many platinum's unobtainable for me.

It's the pay for platinum trophy games that need to stop. You should always be required to finish the game too.

Something I feel that would be nice is say like Spider-Man base game had no difficulty trophies so everyone played on easy. It'd be amazing if there was some visual difference for players that did their play through on the hardest setting.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

It's the pay for platinum trophy games that need to stop. You should always be required to finish the game too.

Something I feel that would be nice is say like Spider-Man base game had no difficulty trophies so everyone played on easy. It'd be amazing if there was some visual difference for players that did their play through on the hardest setting.

Marvel's Spider-Man is a game that millions of dollars was poured into and had a lot of hard working people on it. I don't care if all the base game trophies are common, because you still have to beat the game to begin with.

Pay for platinum trophies are Ratalaika Games. So easy a little kid can play through them. The actual games themselves are much longer than what the trophy list has you doing. So most people who stack these platinums don't bother to try to beat the games. Says a lot about the trophy mentality and inflating purely for numbers.

• Like 1

I'm mostly focusing on games I think I will enjoy, easy or not, although none of my platinums are so much "hard" to achieve as they are time-consuming. Sure, I have My Name is Mayo but I'm unashamed and I will get the Vita one too because hell I'm aiming for the plats in Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag in a short time of each other and if I want to keep my personal Trophies per Day score around 5, nobody gets to tell me how I do that so long as I'm not cheating, if it takes an hour or two of tapping my Vita screen as I watch Netflix to do it then so be it, I'm still having fun- nobody else gets to decide that I'm not- and that's all that matters.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

I'm mostly focusing on games I enjoy, easy or not, although none of my platinums are so much "hard" to achieve as they are time-consuming. Sure, I have My Name is Mayo but I'm unashamed and I will get the Vita one too because hell I'm aiming for the plats in Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag in a short time of each other and if I want to keep my personal Trophies per Day score around 5, nobody gets to tell me how I do that so long as I'm not cheating, if it takes an hour or two of tapping my Vita screen as I watch Netflix to do it then so be it, I'm still having fun- nobody else gets to decide that I'm not- and that's all that matters.

Agreed on Mayo. I tried to be the fastest plat achiever but all that tapping. Lol. Black flag was much easier on ps4 for me bc of boosting and loading times.  I'll likely never get the last 2 mp trophies I need on ps3 but I'm glad I finished them on ps4. I'd like to get all the ps4 ac plats minus the side scrolling ones. That's too long of a a boring game.

Edited by RoxasOnFire

The stupid less than an hour games and their 4-5 stacks are a cancer to the trophy system. I can find profiles of 100+ games where I haven’t heard of a single game. I miss the days where Disney games and Terminator were considered trophy whoring. While it sucks, one positive result is that I now don’t give a shit about the amount of trophies or plats I earn, I will never play a game just for easy trophies again. Not that I was the worst sinner, but I did buy Terminator, .detuned and Frogger Returns back in the day.

The last years, I have only played games I really want or games with challenging/rare trophies. Quality over quantity every day.

Edited by Bezenko
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bezenko said:

The stupid less than an hour games and their 4-5 stacks are a cancer to the trophy system. I can find profiles of 100+ games where I haven’t heard of a single game. I miss the days where Disney games and Terminator were considered trophy whoring. While it sucks, one positive result is that I now don’t give a shit about the amount of trophies or plats I earn, I will never play a game just for easy trophies again. Not that I was the worst sinner, but I did buy Terminator, .detuned and Frogger Returns back in the day.

The last yearsI have only played games I really want or games with challenging/rare trophies. Quality over quantity every day.

Yeah man, I do wish we never had them in the first place. My rank goes down so fast bc of people getting region stacks.  I can't fuck with the plats for like barbie or shit, I don't wanna go out of my way for absolute shit plats. I like my collection for the most part. And I'm not picky on 100% bc of dlc.

Edited by RoxasOnFire

18 minutes ago, awf9495 said:

I have plenty of easy plats, but I enjoy visual novels and Telltale games.

As for the sub-hour plats and stacks, waste of time and money for me, but who am I to say it is a waste of someone else's time and money?

I agree that these kinds of games and behaviors have certainly diluted the rankings if that is something you care about. I disagree that they have devalued trophies as that would imply they had some kind of value in the first place.

I don't think any of us would be on this site (or another one similar) to begin with if we didn't value trophies to some degree. If anything, these "easy" platinums have made hardcore plats/100% trophies more worthwhile to obtain for those not concerned with leaderboard rankings.

I've certainly had my share of these sub hour platinums, but moving forward I am only going to add games that I express legeimate interest in and trying to strike the balance of easy and hard games while not siding towards either extreme.

• Like 2