What game(s) do you dislike that everyone else seems to love?

ZitMeatloaf

Horizon Zero Dawn - I feel like I dislike this game more so because so many people act like it's some kind of masterpiece. I like the combat and the story when it explores how the current state of the world came to be, but that's about it. The rest of the story is tedious and it becomes annoying to have to constantly interact with characters who are so primitive in their thought. This also leads to characters being boring and forgettable with the exception of Rost and Sylens. The rest of the cast expressed very little emotion or when they did, it felt forced. I tried to like Aloy, but she quickly became annoying with how unnecessarily emotional she would get over things. The open world is also beautiful, but frustrating to go through because it's full of nothing but hostile robots. God of War and RDR2 did a far better job with their worlds by providing me with plenty of opportunities to explore the world in peace.

Uncharted 3 - This game is the worst game I have ever played. I enjoy Uncharted 2 and 4 and I found Uncharted 1 to at least pick up by its second half, but Uncharted 3 is an absolute disgrace. Every level is a chore to play through. The villains are the worst I've ever seen, especially the right hand man of Marlow (or whatever her name is) that somehow ends up one step ahead of you at all times. There are points of the story that make no sense. I don't know if I even want to go back and platinum this game because of how bad it is.

Uncharted is probably the biggest one for me. I watched my friend play it and had no clue how anyone could find it fun. I don't enjoy shooters but that's practically only a third or half of the game. The two things that really made me dislike what I saw was all the cliff and building climbing. That doesn't look fun, it's just pointing the control stick in a direction and pushing a button, and that's the other half of the game play. What really annoyed me the most though was all the quips everyone needed to vomit up. Shut up, you're aggravating to listen to not funny.

I'm also playing through Dragon Quest XI right now (first DQ game) and don't see the appeal. I was not having fun until about 20 hours in and each time I think it's getting better someone says or does something that prevents me from thinking that. 

50 minutes ago, Red-River13 said:

Wow you sure did a great job keeping it civil huh? 

I don't think they were being serious tbh. It's more of a “I can't understand why you wouldn't like this game“ I assume.

It's just too silly of an offense, more like a semi-serious exclamation.

4 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

all the quips everyone needed to vomit up

It went from humorous to stale to annoying during the course of the series, yeah.

Edited by fastflowdaman

Halo 3 - I played it on x360 awhile ago and I dont understand what people see in this game, it was just an average fps for me. 

Burnout Revenge - I loved Dominator but didn't liked this one mainly due to the crashing events which aren't my cup of tea. It was much better done in Paradise

God of War 1 - It was good but I never loved this game or anything, it was God of War 2 which was one of the most epic games imo and thats where this series started to be great for me.

I'm happy to see this thread picked up a little steam! Thanks for your replies, everyone.

I'm gonna add Destiny 2 to my list. I know it's not universally praised and has received quite a bit of criticism, but it does have a very loyal fan base (I have a friend on my list who has literally played nothing but Destiny 2 since it came out). I couldn't get into it at all. Maybe looter shooters just aren't my thing.

Persona 5

I heard so many great things about P5, so I gave this Life Simulator a shot. Turns out, it's not for me...

Visually it's great, very stylish, sure, but gameplay wise... meh. The story bits are often just waaaaaay too long, and the hanging out with friends and managing time deciding when to bond, when to work, when to infiltrate a palace just wasn't very enjoyable. What enfuriated me the most is that I kept getting text messages summarizing exactly what I had just been discussing literally 2 minutes ago! I mean, did the devs think that Goldfish would be playing their game?? 

What about the combat system? It's turn-based, should be fun! Right? Nope. It's very simple and, frankly, quite boring. At some point I would look forward to getting out of the palaces as fast as possible to continue with the story. That is, until I got another freaking text message telling me absolutely nothing I didn't know. 

For the first 20, 30, even 40 hours I felt entertained. But 110 hours for that simple plot and bland gameplay is just way too long, and left me with a not very good overall impression of the game. 

Edited by Arcesus7

I never understood people loving Metal Gear games.

The stories are terrible, and told mostly in poor-man’s Michael Bay style cut scrnes or interminably long codex conversations, the characters all ridiculous - but not ridiculous enough to be fun, the shooting doesn’t work,  the stealth is ropey at best.

the first one was a pretty okay game, but by the time Metal Gear Solid came along the whole series just dissapeared up it’s own arse.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - My hate of this game is well documented on here in other threads, and no it isn't because of Mein Leben (although I'll always be in the camp that thinks that such a trophy is a terrible idea). This was truly the most disappointing game of the generation for me. I wouldn't go as far to say its an awful game, but its a sub-par AAA shooter IMO and how it got 88% on Metacritic I'll never know, because Wolfenstein: The New Order only got high 70's and it was MUCH better. TNO was my favorite game of the generation until DOOM game out; I thought it was brilliant. Surprisingly engaging story that mixed humour with serious themes nicely, superb linear level design, fun difficulty variations, awesome weapons, wacky gameplay that combined feeling like a bad-ass but not TOO much like a bad-ass that you couldn't be killed, I could go on. I loved it.

So naturally, I was intensely excited for II. Let me down in virtually every regard. The gun mechanics and visualswere pretty wonderful, I'll confess. Problem is, everything was sacrificed to make the guns feel cool. I mean everything, nothing is focused or refined enough for a modern AAA shooter IMO. The difficulty is completely skewed, they clearly want to gear for a hardcore audience...which in my opinion isn't what ID-originated IP's are meant to do. They are supposed to add a degree of challenge in order to keep you on your toes, both otherwise equip you with set-pieces, awesome weapons and enemies a plenty to destroy to re-enforce the protagonist's sense of insane bad-assery. DOOM (2016) does this well, Wolfenstein II does not. Whenever you get swarmed by enemies, your only real way of surviving on anything normal or above is to hide around a corner and peep out which...well, doesn't feel very Wolfenstein to me, and gets old reaaally fast. The level design was  broken too. Which for Mein Leben runs is probably appreciated, but so much of the game can be skipped, glitched, it just seems weird to me. For a game that takes you to (no spoilers) many different locations, every level felt very similar design-wise as well. The story was lackluster and, unlike TNO/TOB, had no tact or nuance with its tone or pacing. BJ is quite introspective and reflective in TNO/TOB, but its done to a cheesy extent Max-Payney extend in II. I could go on, but to summarise, II seemingly sacrificed everything to make its guns feel cool IMO. 

Undertale - I don't want to trash this one too much because one guy made it, and in that sense its an admirable effort but for me, I don't understand why this is considered a generation corner-stone because it just isn't to me. I very rarely disagree with highly reviewed games' quality (this and the above are probably the only circumstances). I accept and understand how some people would like it, I just don't. It's pretty funny in places, and the concept of avoiding combat at all costs being the combat system is a brilliant idea. I just think its really poorly executed, and most of the characters get really annoying. I found the intro section to be one of the worst introductions I've ever played, its pretty confusing and random, and the only bit I'd consider remotely fun is the puzzle section after with Papyrus. Also a lot of the fan-base are awful, too (I'm sure none of you guys are).

Dead by Daylight / Friday the 13th - These didn't review well, but a lot of people seem to really love these games. I think they are abysmal. Just lack any sort of fun or fairness. 

On 4/2/2019 at 8:21 AM, Mikoto_railgun01 said:

Persona 5. 

I'm a huge persona fan to the point I'll defend Tartarus if needed but persona 5 just felt like after kamoshida it feel apart. The twists they tried to throw where predictable. I knew that one person was going to be an antagonist or part the group when he overheard a certain someone talking when normal people can't. 

The cast are quite bland and forgettable and everything about them can be seen at face value rather than them having some underlying issues. 

Harsh assessment, but the surprise was blown a bit, considering that 

Spoiler

he shared a name with one of Japan's greatest traitors.

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I never understood people loving Metal Gear games.

The stories are terrible, and told mostly in poor-man’s Michael Bay style cut scrnes or interminably long codex conversations, the characters all ridiculous - but not ridiculous enough to be fun, the shooting doesn’t work,  the stealth is ropey at best.

the first one was a pretty okay game, but by the time Metal Gear Solid came along the whole series just dissapeared up it’s own arse.

You know, I liked the gameplay until MGS 3. I could never figure out how people loved the original release of Snake Eater; I couldn't even get out of the jungle with the top-down view. 

HOWEVER, I would recommend giving Peace Walker a whirl if you haven't. It feels like the truest evolution from the original NES games. Fast-paced, mission-based, stealth important (if a little, ummm, ropey? I don't know what that means), and best of all - short cutscenes! Oh, and you can kidnap people by hooking balloons to them. Pretty awesome!

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

Wolfenstein: The new ones I couldn't get into purely because of the characters bland,boring,unmemorable and just unlikable and the story was just meh.

Tomb Raider Reboot Trilogy: I think the reboot trilogy is fine but they ain't Tomb Raider games, they try to make the stories all dark and brooding and they just don't work and the gameplay is basically Uncharted with a female lead and the puzzle are so simple. I know someone is going to say the games show how Lara becomes the woman we all know but they really don't, she stays the same throughout the trilogy. She doesn't become more confidant or sassy through the games she basically just yells and screams that she is going to kill everyone and everything whenever someone makes her mad.

Telltale games: Your choices didn't matter....they never bloody matter.

Life is Strange: Like Telltale Games choices didn't matter and the characters and writing were horrible.  

I don't understand why Battle Royale games are so popular. I played Fortnite for about an hour when it came out, and hated every minute of it. Haven't touched another Battle Royale game since, and don't plan to. No idea how people can play those games for hours each day.

Another big one for me are sports games like FIFA. Those games are pure cash-grabs, I don't understand how people can't see that. It's the same damn game every year, with literally no improvements. If anything they get worse each year, because of the monetization and what not. Some people love wasting their money, I guess.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 3:22 AM, phantomfear9494 said:

Dead by Daylight / Friday the 13th - These didn't review well, but a lot of people seem to really love these games. I think they are abysmal. Just lack any sort of fun or fairness. 

I have played these and my friends are addicted to play the formal but. I do not see the appeal also the keep making more advantages for the killers only makes no sense. the game play is repetitive too no other things to do or mix it up wth. hopefully 2020 the game will die out as I noticed last time they were playing it that it getting harder to find matches.