Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

Couldn't care less about ultra Rare or %s as a whole. Naturally you could claim it is more 'impressive' to have rarer/more difficult completions but as we all know rarity and difficulty don't necessarily go hand in hand and there's easy shit out there in the 1% region and some crazy hard stuff barely scraping under 10% or so.

Generally I would be more interested in what the games are than what the percentage of them is.

According to my stats I have 62 platinums of Ultra Rare status, some I can understand for sure, forum users like to talk about them being difficult or that they couldn't be bothered with 'x' or 'y'... But, some I'm just like 'huh?' because... I don't know why they're so rare at all lol. I suppose a couple because of Playstation Plus, but some are just rare for... reasons?

Also, I see some people mentioned PSN rarity... Oh my goodness that's useless. Don't get me wrong it could be handy because it's factoring in the whole playerbase for an accurate reading of just how rare it is among all players of the game but... it needs another decimal for sure! Half my god damn games are riddled with 0.1%s xD considering how low the %s are, an extra decimal is more important I feel. Over here on PSNP it'd be fine to have just a single decimal, it doesn't make a big difference and hardly anything hits the 0.1% region, but PSN, almost every games platinum is sub-5%.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Yes

Youre not a real trophy hunter until you have atleast 5+ ultra rare platinums

Anything else and youre just a trophy hoarder

I got 4... can I round up? xD

For me, I answered, "Yes." I think ultra rare platinums are important, but I have very rare platinums that I found more difficult than my ultra rare ones, and honestly, I cherish and am more proud of those. I'm sure if everyone looked at all of their URs and compared them to their VRs, everyone would probably feel the same way. Rarity doesn't always equal most difficult or most challenging.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

22 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Most people on this website like to refer ultra rare platinum trophies to be some sort of measure of skill and dedication.

I'm going to use you as an example to say something that I'm sure will trigger a couple of people but I'm just having a bit of fun xD

I checked your profile, you don't quite have 100 URs (yet) but you've honestly got a higher quantity of skilled/difficult platinums than some people I've seen on this site who have 1,000+ URs.

If that alone doesn't debunk the whole having more URs = having more difficult games completed then I don't know what will xD

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

Yes

Youre not a real trophy hunter until you have atleast 5+ ultra rare platinums

Anything else and youre just a trophy hoarder

I have 12 and I am absolutely not someone who goes for hard shit. May wanna rethink that number, man. :awesome:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

I'm going to use you as an example to say something that I'm sure will trigger a couple of people but I'm just having a bit of fun xD

I checked your profile, you don't quite have 100 URs (yet) but you've honestly got a higher quantity of skilled/difficult platinums than some people I've seen on this site who have 1,000+ URs.

If that alone doesn't debunk the whole having more URs = having more difficult games completed then I don't know what will xD

Having 1000+ ultra rare trophies is pretty impressive. But that doesn't mean that everything they done that is/was ultra rare is hard, time consuming or strenuous. Rarity is made up by the number of game owners versus the people who earned the trophy.

As you said, a number of games are just ultra rare because a majority of people probably only played for 30 minutes or so, earned a trophy and then quit playing.

I can reach to 150 - 200 ultra rare trophies fairly easily, because I know a good number of PSN games that have a good amount of ultra rares. But for now I don't care because I'm not interested in some of those games, and I'll just be adding a lot more to my backlog, which is already rather big for my liking.

The truest sign that rarity doesn't equate to difficulty is the fact that games with multiple stacks sometimes have different rarities.

Arkham City PS3 is Ultra Rare, but Arkham City PS4 is barely holding onto Very Rare. If something changed in the difficulty there I sure as hell never noticed it lol.

2 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

The truest sign that rarity doesn't equate to difficulty is the fact that games with multiple stacks sometimes have different rarities.

Arkham City PS3 is Ultra Rare, but Arkham City PS4 is barely holding onto Very Rare. If something changed in the difficulty there I sure as hell never noticed it lol.

Ps3 version was free on ps plus, thus the discrepancy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Thats easy, the ps3 has a 5 year advantage over the ps4 version in terms of release date and theres also a huge difference on game owners between both versions that makes easier the UR status on the ps3.

7 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

It happens in damn near all games with stacks. Borderlands TPS is the same way and that was never free for plus.

It's actually the opposite on this example, but I would assume it's due to the ps4 version being included in the collection so many may play 2 and then stop early on tps since its so far inferior. Just my guess though haha.

9 minutes ago, INinjaRaidenI said:

Thats easy, the ps3 has a 5 year advantage over the ps4 version in terms of release date and theres also a huge difference on game owners between both versions that makes easier the UR status on the ps3.

Borderlands TPS is the exact opposite. The one that's been around shorter and has less owners is the one that Ultra Rare. There's 0 consistency in the numbers.

Besides, the point I was making was that UR doesn't automatically mean difficult, and you making the claim that it's UR because of time and numbers helps back up my point lol.

Edited by KingGuy420

They aren't important to me but I find the stats neat from time to time. It's similar to score in the sense that people can bolster the number with a variety of quick/bad games and I just can't be bothered to do that so I'm not all that invested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt the Dog said:

I have 12 and I am absolutely not someone who goes for hard shit. May wanna rethink that number, man. :awesome:

I was just being sarcastic as i do with 95% of my posts

theres no definitive number of ultra rare platinums one can have to be considered a serious trophy hunter in my eyes

but seriously

you gotta have atleast a few 8 outta 10, 9 outta 10 difficulty games platted

If youre a hunter, you dont just go after easy prey

sure you can take advantage of the weak (telltale games, ratalaika games, sometimes you, etc.)

But you should also be challenging yourself

taking on something bigger than you, something stronger, something harder

thats where the real hunt is

aaru's awakening is no joke on the difficulty. remember a long time ago trying to gold every level.

it's all memorization and using the powers at the right time.

i'm surprised it was rated a 3/10 then again others will rate higher based on individual difficulty.

Edited by kingdrake2

not really, I agree that earning a plat that few people have is a nice thing to have, but I would rater have a plat that is easier to get but made me have a memorable time playing that game. I have a plat for "that's you" with 1.93 rarity but it did not have the same meaning or impact for me that "spider man"with 51.38 rarity

• Like 1

Is this not why we are part of PSNP? I don't go for UR plats consciously but I do like to try my best to plat every game I start. If I give up on a game and move to something else I will never go back to that game again. For that reason, I make sure I've tried my best before moving on. The UR's are a great achievement and always nice to see you have something most people couldn't get...

• Like 2

Ultra rare platinums are nice but I wouldn't place any more value on them then any other ultra rare the game it's from has to offer,  for me personally I just enjoy watching my ultra rare counter go up, so unless it's under 1% I pretty much just consider it another 1 to my total (I like to keep track of my sub 1%'s on top of ultra rares). If anyone knows a game with even a single ultra rare that we can boost I lovingly offer you my friendship <3 

• Like 1

Ultra-Rare's are kind of important for me. Since usually Ultra-Rare's are harder/more challenging platinums to go for. The memories I've made and the journey to earn those platinums are more important of course. Each game I've played, has become a small part of me. I know that sounds super-sappy, but I think games media like any other has the ability to influence and affect us, and make us grow as people.

Edited by James_Tonto
Fixing a typo.
  • Like 1

They're not overly important to me, but in terms of gaming I certainly like to go for UR's. There's also a lot of other games that I wanna play as well, so it just depends how much free time I have and what I'm prioritizing at the time. I tend to set myself little goals for UR's though. Currently slowly working towards 2000.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

I was just being sarcastic as i do with 95% of my posts

theres no definitive number of ultra rare platinums one can have to be considered a serious trophy hunter in my eyes

but seriously

you gotta have atleast a few 8 outta 10, 9 outta 10 difficulty games platted

If youre a hunter, you dont just go after easy prey

sure you can take advantage of the weak (telltale games, ratalaika games, sometimes you, etc.)

But you should also be challenging yourself

taking on something bigger than you, something stronger, something harder

thats where the real hunt is

Stop sharing with us your yaoi fan-fictions, you're getting way off topic

• Like 2