The Pursuit of 100% Completion Profile

2 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Hey now. Some Japanese Novels are really good games. Zero Escape, Danganronpa & Phoenix Wright have great stories 1f601.png.

Danganronpa and Phoenix Wright I actually thought about playing myself, but I was talking about those Japanese only novels which people don't understand a word of and just press a button for 3 hours for plat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

K

In case you bothered to look, you were already discussing the topic with someone that matches your description. 

As a second example, I am myself a completionist with 2 of the three games you mentioned completed. 

I could name you quite a few more such gamers. 

Now what?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

@Nighcisama Ah man, good luck on the SMB journey. That game kicked my butt so hard I put it in the "play every few months" pile. 

Realistically I could get 100%. Trying to tackle SMB will be the most brutal hurdle to 100%, but even if I can't ever get that plat, sitting at (eventually) 99% will be more than enough for me.

I plan on tackling grinds like Star Ocean: The Last Hope at some point too, it's in my game library to-do-list. Don't mind grindy games or harder games, but forcing myself to play stupidly hard games "just because you need them to look legit" is just as ridiculous. I picked up SMB because the cute little graphical style and platforming was actually fun. Even with the bare bones basic trophies I got from the game they've been so rewarding. But you won't catch me playing Crypt of the Necrodancer ever. Just doesn't appeal to me and I wouldn't like it from the get-go.

Luckily I play almost exclusively single player games. Grew out of the multiplayer scene years ago for various IRL reasons. Still, there are some games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered I can't wait for to play crossplay on with my fam. Might have multiplayer trophies, might not. Even if they do I'd still play it cause it's enjoyable. Haha. I don't shy away from casual multiplayer experiences. Wish more games had them with nice trophy lists to boot, instead of these weird "360 no scope while having no deaths in a wheelchair flying off a mountain" level of ridiculousness that can really only be done once in a blue moon or via boosting exclusively. 

I'm definitely pursing the 100% profile over the years, but not going to break my back if something unfortunate happens and a plat becomes unobtainable for some reason after I've started it. I've accepted that hey, stuff happens. I think 99% or 100% is in the same league personally. Close to perfect as it can be. 100%ers just happen to wear a little bit shinier gold boots. Hah. :)

Edited by Sword
  • Like 3

On 4/30/2020 at 9:37 AM, bosstristan said:

Same here, game completionist and trophy completionist!

Fortunately I have never had a game with impossible trophies so far.

You're better than most.

I don't care about my profile not being 100 percent either way. It's just too much work. I also despise boosting, even though there are a few games I can mop up.

On 30/4/2020 at 10:39 AM, djb5f said:

No way, over 90% is perfect for me.  Too many 100%ers avoid great but ultra challenging games.  Play for the game first, the trophies are a bonus.

I have few in my backlog. I think that aside from the "tough" issues that a game like Hollow Knight can give to a certian type of player, it can hugely boost the confindence and pursuit for other games like that. I'm actually beating a game that in other platform is kinda challeging, but is giving me a good a amount of satisfaction to being able to beat that kind of game. I mean, when I was a 10-year toddler I was profusely afriad of challenging games. But now, the story is obviously different. 

35 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I don't care about my profile not being 100 percent either way. It's just too much work. I also despise boosting, even though there are a few games I can mop up.

Boosting is a legal method, as far as I'm concerned. But there some games that you don't have any other option. In my case, Fortnite basically forced me to boost with partners. The basic tenet for the game is the co-op. However, reasons may vary, but games that are hell of a grind, I personally think that an extra hand is always welcomed. Also, if the multiplayer of a given game is pretty dead, or may be you can't find people around it, I think trying it could help. Is what happens with many MMORPGs at a very large extent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xenoblast91 said:

Boosting is a legal method, as far as I'm concerned. But there some games that you don't have any other option. In my case, Fortnite basically forced me to boost with partners. The basic tenet for the game is the co-op. However, reasons may vary, but games that are hell of a grind, I personally think that an extra hand is always welcomed. Also, if the multiplayer of a given game is pretty dead, or may be you can't find people around it, I think trying it could help. Is what happens with many MMORPGs at a very large extent. 

There will always be people who will say boosting is cheating, which I will always disagree with. You still have to go within the trophy requirement means to earn that trophy, whether it's doing it on your own legit or grabbing people to boost specifically for that trophy.

Personally I don't like Overwatch, Fortnite and the current crop of online only games. World of Warcraft was my shit, so was EVE Online and Runescape.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

There will always be people who will say boosting is cheating, which I will always disagree with. You still have to go within the trophy requirement means to earn that trophy, whether it's doing it on your own legit or grabbing people to boost specifically for that trophy.

I can get the argument that boosting is cheating when it comes to games that require X number of wins in MP.  With that boosting is getting someone to agree to throw a match for you and you do the same for them if they also need the trophy and that does toe the line.  However, I can see why people would do it if servers are very dead or full of people who use cheap tactics to win.  Anyone who says it's cheating for games that require just playing X number of matches and it doesn't matter if you win or lose are definitely clueless.  In a case like that boosting is just setting up a time and date when someone will be available to play rather than potentially having to wait for hours for a random to show up.

What I personally dislike about boosting is finding someone reliable who will actually show up as they agreed to.  It's actually a part of why I no longer will buy games with MP trophies.  I find the trophies to be a pain in the ass and I don't find MP to be all that fun anyhow.  That's really the only type of game I'm going to avoid and isn't much of a loss since I'm also not very fond of the most common genres to have MP trophies.  I do eventually want to get back to 100%, but I dislike having to rely on others to earn my trophies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

What I personally dislike about boosting is finding someone reliable who will actually show up as they agreed to.  It's actually a part of why I no longer will buy games with MP trophies.  I find the trophies to be a pain in the ass and I don't find MP to be all that fun anyhow.  That's really the only type of game I'm going to avoid and isn't much of a loss since I'm also not very fond of the most common genres to have MP trophies.  I do eventually want to get back to 100%, but I dislike having to rely on others to earn my trophies.

One reason why I'm not 100 percenting Grand Theft Auto V on the PS4.

For me, I don't really care about what percentage my profile is at, though of course having a high one is nice. I consider myself a "casual trophy hunter/completionist" (and it kinda comes and goes in waves, I sometimes go for months without really getting trophies) - I like going for trophies but I don't want it to be more of a chore than fun. I'm not gonna avoid hard-to-plat games just because I likely will never plat them, or buy DLC I'm not interested in just for that 100%... Have lately been going back to plat/100% some of my unfinished old games though. Currently at 1,376 unearned trophies across 109 games

(Plus, one of the games I played once has a glitched trophy that I'm pretty sure was never fixed so...)

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve always been somewhat of a completionist even before trophies. I would try to 100% complete every game I played if I enjoyed it enough but 100% profile doesn’t appeal to me. I think I have a few games that are unobtainable now so it would be impossible for me to achieve but even if that wasn’t the case, it would put so much pressure on me. I’m aiming to be between 80% and 90%, that gives me a bit of leaning room to play games I’m not going to fully complete and not have to go back and finish every single game I’ve ever played. 

Don’t get me wrong I have some cheesy easy games on my profile but I do play good and challenging games as well. If you pride yourself on 100% profile and you have a shit load of region stacks for sub 10 minute plats then you’ve missed the point of having an impressive profile. If you pride yourself on 100% profile but have actually put effort in then you have my respect. I have nothing against easy plats but I would never brag about my profile because it’s full of them 

• Like 2

I absolutely agree with the person above me. I too have some games that I just won’t/can’t finish anymore (for example I broke the disk for Little Big Planet and my GTA 5 for the PS3 won’t work either, it just crashes whenever the game sees Trevor now. Kinda funny, huh?).

So yeah, definitely no 100% for me. 80-90% would be perfect.

• Like 4

I admire people with 100% profiles and hard Platinums, but personally it's not something that suits me: I know that achieving/trying to reach 100% would end up make me avoid certain games just in order to keep my 100%, therefore it would be more like a burden that something to really be proud of. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. I like having an high % but I don't want avoiding games with hard/unobtainable Trophies, highest I got so far was around 96% some months ago and I'm proud of that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TJsTrophies said:

Which ones are hard?

Final Fantasy 9 is hard without using scripts for the jumprope trophy. But he use scripts?

I'll try to keep up my completion streak as long as I can because of the thrill and the sake of perfection. This is what I've done in PS2 times in games like Final Fantasy and GTA. This is how I am?

46 minutes ago, TJsTrophies said:

Which ones are hard?

Dishonored: Definitive Edition's DLC trophies from Dunwall City Trials.

Red Dead Redemption was also challenging to me and the Hard Mode of Final Fantasy VII Remake too. TLoU Grounded Mode wasn't a piece of cake either.

Even if Blacksad isn't a hard game, getting the platinum wasn't easy because of all those bugs.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 7:44 PM, dannyswfc9 said:

I agree starting new accounts and avoiding games is a bit far but there is nothing wrong with having something to aim for to make gaming a bit more intresting. Im aiming for 75 percent then 80 percent completion lol (i have some games where i have got 1 or 2 trophies but fell out with them). 

Ive just come across this and 2 and half years later im now going for 85 percent and then maybe 90 percent completion

• Like 2

100% is just a idea because you’ll never truely have it unless you get to 100% then just stop playing on that profile.

But it’s still CAN be a fun goal to strive for, but only(imo) if you have the mindset for it and go about it in a way we’re your not actively caring if you fail in the end or not.

What I mean is like me I’m trying to achieve 100% but if I never get there I really won’t care, but the idea keeps me trying my best every single game and never giving up.

I feels this way is best cus if I took super serious I’d just stress myself out and take out all the fun in gaming.

And I have 1 very important rule for myself, never avoid any game your interested in playing(unless it’s a unobtainable) Don’t matter if it’s multi heavy, a big grind or super difficult. 
Avoiding games I want to play defeats the whole point of me even doing this shit.

Btw I also have a question but does having a alt you “try” games on void your 100% on your main? Im genuinely curious what other ppl think.

Cus I consider it kinda like safety net and that just seems dishonest in the whole pursuit.