The Proposal to Fixing the Platinum Trophy: The Ribbon System

Ribbon of Effort Percentage  

473 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort? (For example, '75%' means any platinum trophy you earn with a 0% - 75% rarity gets you a ribbon)

• 75% (If set this high, it would include most games that take hours to complete while still excluding all games which take minutes)
    • 70%
    • 65%
    • 60%
    • 55%
    • 50% (If set this low, games like Spider-Man won't get a Ribbon of Effort)

7 minutes ago, DDAM said:

@BlindMango you haven’t answered yet if this is gonna be an optional (either opt in Or opt out) or if it’s gonna be forced into those that don’t want it. 

They'd show up on every profile similar to completion percentage and it's up to the profile owner to find them useful or not to how they play

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

They'd show up on every profile similar to completion percentage and it's up to the profile owner to find them useful or not to how they play

Then this is just a scream for attention for certain people. Make it optional at least so users can have the option if they want ribbons, medals and other e-peen stroking flairs you guys think of. 

Edited by DDAM
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, DDAM said:

Then this is just a scream for attention for certain people. Make it optional at least so users can have the option if they want ribbons, medals and other e-peen stroking flairs you guys think of. 

Oh no no, i need people to have ribbons so i can look at their profiles in disgust

Image result for spitting on ground gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AerisFlowerGirl said:

Love the idea BlindMango! Will it transition to psnprofiles gamercards as well? (sorry if this was already answered).

There probably wouldn't be enough room for it (Especially if more ribbons are added in the future, but we'd see if Sly would figure out a way to do that or not :P 

Great idea :)

One more idea - why not implement the number of Ultra Rare/Rare/Uncommon/Common as well in the banner?

I am totally for a ribbon in case of getting a 100% game done as well .. like those ideas mentioned before ?

And I like the Idea for an effort ranking list .. seriously this should be the first list shown, when you click on the leaderboards .. trophy hoarding from Ratalaika might be nice in between, but those who only play such sh.. and nothing else shouldnt be praised with the 1st click on the leaderboards ^^

Edited by jayboo1991
Question got answered before :P
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Shadiochao said:

He can start working on it, but will he ever finish?

The series feature has been unchanged for over a year and a half. Maybe he could finish old projects before starting work on new ones

Yeah I mean I'm hoping that this one is so simple he can get it done before a year and a half - I even made the images for him already xD 

I like the idea but <75% just seems too high for an effort ribbon. Games that common don't really require much effort. I think <50% would be better, although even then The Walking Dead would still get a ribbon and that requires like no effort at all.

I like the idea, but not including some sort of 100% games seems to be defeating the point (i understand why not, but it just seems kinda odd where some of the most difficult trophies are in games that don't have a Platinum) *Looks at Action Henk*

Whatever ya'll do would be good - but i feel this could be a way to get some of the "non-Platinum games" that deserve the love, some love :)

@BlindMango great stuff there. That's definitely a step in the right direction. 

The only problem I see is that ultra rare 100% wouldn't count for the rarity ribbon. For example my rarest trophy is actually a 0.3 silver trophy. It would also ignore extremely challenging dlc trophies. 

But on the other hand those ribbons need to be easy to read and understand. So I see why it's only platinums.

That said,  an effort/rarity leader board should definitely count all ultra rates, not just the platinums.

I also would like to see the effort leaderboard become the standard leaderboard on this site, although that's not gonna happen :D

The earlier mentioned completion ribbon would also be a nice addition.

Keep it up.

• Like 1

How would things like this work with the max being set at 75%. The Walking Dead Season One and The Walking Dead: A New Frontier both require the same amount of effort yet S1 gets a ribbon and S3 doesn’t. Or better yet, Twin Robots NA Vita gets a ribbon and Twin Robots EU Vita doesn’t get a ribbon despite them being exactly the same game. Or is that just the way the cookie crumbles.

• Like 1

I loved this ribbon idea and will definitely support that! I must say I'm more interested in the Rarity Ribbon because I always check my amount of ultra rare trophies and ultra rare plats. This ribbon's name gotta be what it currently is, Rarity Ribbon, and not Ultra Rare Ribbon as someone suggested. I also support some kind of ultra rare leaderboard.

Hey @BlindMango, I really liked the ribbon's colors, names, and also their location in the tool bar. I'd vote for this initial options!

Two more things:

1 - We need to be careful when it comes to implementing even more ribbons, like the mentioned "Series Completed" one. I liked the idea, but the initial profile page needs to reflect the more important and meaningfull aspects of a gamer/trophy hunter in detriment of more subjective aspects. Others trophy tracking websites have tons of ribbons awarded by completing innumerous tasks, and if psnp goes in that direction, I think it's kinda obvious that the ribbons would need their own page or space, like Level History or Stats, for example. Anyway, I think we are in the right direction because all this is being discussed by the psnp community.  

2 - This thread title: "Fixing the platinum trophy". Why? Was it broken? It's completely oppinion based. To me platinum trophies and trophy hunting itself was never destroyed by the increasing number of easy and many times shity games being released on psn store, but that's my oppinion. Also, the current title refers only to the Effort Ribbon and not to the Rarity Ribbon. Change the thread tittle to simply "Ribbon System". 

GravityQueeen.png

1 hour ago, FilmFanatic said:

How would things like this work with the max being set at 75%. The Walking Dead Season One and The Walking Dead: A New Frontier both require the same amount of effort yet S1 gets a ribbon and S3 doesn’t. Or better yet, Twin Robots NA Vita gets a ribbon and Twin Robots EU Vita doesn’t get a ribbon despite them being exactly the same game.

Oh please stop it with your sensical arguments. That's all fake news. We need to make platinum trophies great again!

When I look at my own profile: I do all my POWGI games "legit" and it takes many hours to play through the whole game. Very enjoyable hours too! I will look back at doing those games wiith much pleasure. I'd consider it a show of "effort" too. It's as much a grind as any multiplayer XP grind and a far more enjoyable one at that.

That other people use guides to do the same game in half an hour is really not my problem.

About the topic title "Fixing the platinum". This will also not do anything fundamentally. The leaderboards will still be there and people will still be platting 99% games to go up them. The same easy plats will continue to be released. You would just be putting some band-aid on profiles so some of us can feel better than others again. Well goody. Just implement that UR leaderboard already and leave my profile alone.

Edit: Oh wait, I just noticed that both my Sound Shapes auto pops AND my Motorstorm RC auto pop would add to my "effort" total. So 40 hours of POWGI puzzles no, auto popping plats yes. Please shoot me.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

cool idea for those who will enjoy it, personally i won't take much care of interest in it, i play what i want and stack what i want so whatever ribbons i'd get so be it. Though the option to show it or to not would be good to for those of us who might not care to use it

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

How would things like this work with the max being set at 75%. The Walking Dead Season One and The Walking Dead: A New Frontier both require the same amount of effort yet S1 gets a ribbon and S3 doesn’t. Or better yet, Twin Robots NA Vita gets a ribbon and Twin Robots EU Vita doesn’t get a ribbon despite them being exactly the same game. Or is that just the way the cookie crumbles.

This is a question I've had myself given that aside from this, there are also far more egregious cases such as some VNs which go well above this average for Japan, but manage to stay below it for the EN version or some games that have some obscure stack (say, a Chinese or Korean version) that, given the site's largely western audience, would mostly be played by trophy stackers going in expecting a plat for the same stuff they likely did already. One good example of this is Teslagrad, whose global version has a rarity low enough to pass any of the proposed limits, yet its Korean PS3 version is at over 90% despite literally being the same game.

One possible solution I can think of is to identify such stacks using the already present stack listing feature and make it such that if a game has any stack which meets the ribbon requirement, all stacks can count regardless of their current rarity. There are a couple games where this can get awkward such as the aforementioned VNs which would ideally be kept out as well as Corpse Party: Blood Drive and it's debug mode in the Korean version, but I feel like a few exceptions in the name of inclusion like these are better than making exceptions for exclusion.

EDIT: As far as the original idea, I quite like it. It'd be nice to know these numbers at a glance instead of having to count them out myself, so it feels fairly convenient to me. As far as fears of shaming as a result of this, most of the people who would do that either already know how to look for this shit whether or not a ribbon is present or simply just see any Rata/POWGI/Sometimes You/etc. game on one's profile as a mark of shame, so I don't really see the point in holding back for that alone.

Edited by Walt the Dog

I love this idea!! I have a few very easy plats that I found fun, don't regret, but do feel ruin my profile a little. Devaluing them in this way I would consider a good thing. I also don't really go for very rare plats, but I feel these ribbons would be the motivation I need to have fun doing so.

I do think they should be on the main profile bar as you suggest.