How do you play your games?

OverHypedG

I like to play one game at a time, and I mentally prepare for that game. For example, a couple of weeks ago, I knew I wanted to play Dragon Quest XI. I also knew it was a long game. So, I copied the trophy guide into a Word document, scanned it over for missables/things to watch out for, printed out a couple of maps and checklists that looked to be helpful, and gave myself about five weeks to complete it. The point of that isn't to rush myself, but rather get a feel for how long it's going to take me, if I average a comfortable 15-20 hours per week of gaming (with no other games on tap). In this case, I've really enjoyed the game, so I'm probably on pace to platinum it in 3-4 weeks. Because of that, I decided to start another game last night that's only 15 hours to platinum. I should have no problem finishing them both in that five-week time span. But if I was behind on DQ XI (like I was last month with Sekiro), I probably wouldn't have started something new.

I generally don't like second playthroughs, but I also don't like spoilers, so I'll usually make a judgement call if I have to decide between following a walkthrough and playing a game twice. If I know a game has chapter select for trophy clean-up, I'll almost always ignore the guide on my first playthrough.

The part of Sekiro you're on (maxing out skill trees) -- as well as any other mindless grind or task that is put in to a game to waste your time -- gets filed under the "Things to Do While Watching Youtube" category. I try to have at least one trophy like this at any time, for when I don't really feel like gaming, but I also want to be productive.

• Like 2

joke answer or serious answer?

i first do a blind play-through on a dummy account to see if i even like the game (since i rent through gamefly). If I enjoy the game and play it on my main account i ususally use a guide to be as efficient as possible but still enjoy the game. I only get the trophies due to having a degree of OCD.

In a nice comfy chair with a basic controller and youtube horror stories in the background.

I play the game blind the first time - always. I like story driven games, spoiling the story would take the fun out of playing for me. If the game is good, I don't mind having to play it again, anf it it's crap, I won't go for the plat anyway.

It depends on my mood and on how many games are sitting, waiting to be played, if I finsih the game by getting the plat right now while I have the tactics and controls down to a T, of if I play something else first. But I will return to games I want to finsih (seven year gap to finish Disgaea 4 was a bit on the extreme side, though).

I play for fun first and for trophies second. Trophy hunting can be part of the fun, but if the trophy requirements seem like too much of a chore, or if the trophy hunting ceases to be fun midway through the game, it doesn't bother me to drop the trophy pursuit and finish the game at my own leisure. I'm really only a kinda-sorta trophy hunter.

I also play several games concurrently - I get too bored playing just one. I'll usually play one or two larger games, complimented with a couple other games that can be played in shorter spurts. Oftentimes this means it takes me a long time to finish games. But it's what's fun for me.

I usually take a quick look at the trophy list before I start a new game, looking if there is anything missable. I copy the description into a text data and work it up, if there is something to miss. For the rest of the trophys I'm trying to ignore them, I like to enjoy a game for what it is on my first playthrough. Story is the most important thing in a game to me before gameplay, the handling, music or graphics. If that even takes like 40 hours or more, I don't mind. But this does not work with every game of course. Racing, sports or fighting games are different. Also, when there was a game I really loved, like for example Horizon Zero Dawn, Batman Arkham Knight, Last of Us or Alien Isolation (just to name a few) I tend to put them away after finishing the story (which usually takes me much longer than a trophy hunter, for example I had around 250 hours of ingame time in RDR 2 when finishing the story ). I really do this on purpose to get distance from something I really enjoyed, just to come back someday and enjoy it again and getting those trophies I've missed. Another thing is that I always want 100%, meaning if there is something interesting out there I do not own, I like to wait until all DLC are available at a cheaper price or as a GOTY edition. My backlog is so long now that by the time I have finished stuff I wanted to play, the interesting games have already fallen in price again. There are not many games I buy at release, 2 per maximum per year, if not even less. So who waits, wins - I guess. For the boosting: I like to boost stuff with good friends I've made over the years, if no one has the game I'm in a community with very ambitious players or if necessary I set up or join a session here on psnprofiles. I use guides if necessary, but as mentioned before not before second playthrough. 

Edited by Solid-Fisch

I simply start by using my left hand to hold the right side of the controller and the right hand to hold the left side of the controller so you can imagine that I have to play with the controller facing down. However that's not a problem because my hands hover over a coffee table which has a reflective glass on it from which I can see the TV and the controller. That's right I do not even look at the TV while playing but rather a reflection. Because the image is inverted, my head does quick mafs and re-adjusts everything back to normal so I am good to go. And then I sit on the couch with a bad looking arch on my back staring down the coffee table - exactly like the hunchback of notre dame - and with the left leg crossed over the right leg placed on the reflective coffee table right next to a bag of doritos and redbull. 

Realizing I am at a disadvantage for playing in such a compromising position that requires a lot of energy to sustain, it get really hot in there. I have to take off my clothes periodically and do some nekkid gaming to ward off the heat. Nothing feels liberating than just cool air touching your skin. 

With the right preparation which only takes approximately 12 minutes and 34 seconds, I am ready to play. 

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 4

One game at a time only. I find if you leave a game to play something else and then come back to it you need to relearn the controls n stuff and it’s more awkward getting back into it. If I leave a game incomplete the chances are it was too hard and I’ll never go back to that game. Exception is MKX - I only left that incomplete because I’m waiting until both the online trophy becomes available and I’ve completed the current game when it does. I missed the last opportunity by a couple of hours when I was finishing Batman ?

45 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

I simply start by using my left hand to hold the right side of the controller and the right hand to hold the left side of the controller

This is how I had to hold the Dualshock 3 while playing fl0w. It looked something like this:

2x2ELkT.png?1gfDXmy7.png?1Sy0egF6.png?1

Edited by dj_helyx
  • Like 1

last year I was pretty determined to plat many backlog and new games in a row, got a bit burnt out and switched it up this year.

This year I'm back on some new games and backlog, been jamming Pc for OverWatch and ESO to mix up Ps4 gameplay.

I use guides and youtube for help with collectibles. I'm working star ocean 4, for a second time, since it came out remastered ?

looks and runs so much better, with optional graphics to maximize any tv

Pretty much I just play how I feel, with 3,000 plus un-erned trophies I have a lot of options

gamermeme.jpg

Edited by Galactic Hyper Balls
  • Like 1

I’m currently working to get all the games I have at E rank to be brought up to at least an A rank. 

I will start Dark Souls soon, but I may do some stuff in Assassins Creed III first since I haven’t been quite in the mood to play a Soulsborne game. 

Generally the way I play is I look for any missables in a guide, then I just enjoy the story and do side content along the way. Once that’s done I look at what I have left and I work on obtaining what I need for the platinum.

Until last year I played a few games twice, namely short PSN games that I tried on another account to then play on my main. I don’t do that anymore because it’s too time consuming and I can’t be bothered to speed through the game just to make a spot in the Fastest Achievers list. 

• Like 1

Usually do one playthrough then move on to something else unless really into the game or close to the plat. But if the plat takes ages or is pretty hard then I'll do as much as I feel like for now and leave it for a bit.

• Like 1

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm into a slow game, something like a JRPG. Others I prefer a fast paced, combat game. But I only play one at a time. If I start multiples, eventually I will play mainly one.

The only thing I check before is if the platinum is too hard or too long, so I dont get bored along the way. The worst thing is the feeling of being forced to complete a game that you dont even want to hear about. 

I pickup a game , get a quick glance at the " Missable trophies" number in the guide and start playing.

90% of the time I do a blind playthrough then do another trophy cleaning run. Of course at huge games I do actually check for the trophies to see what I could miss ,I don't prefer to replay 20 hours just for a shitty bronze trophy (See all quests trophy in Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen).

But mostly I don't mind the trophies until I already played the game. Game first, collectibles after.

Oh and in terms of how many I play, it's mood dependant. I could play a bunch one after the other ( fighting games , quit one and start another) orrrr spend a lot on one game only ( Assassin's Creed games for example).

All depending on the alignment of the planets really :awesome:

I mostly do a blind playthrough first, especially if there are no missable trophies (I checked for missables with Red Dead Redemption 2 since I knew that one would be looooooong as hell). And I always only have one "main" game open at a time, plus 1-2 games for short gaming sessions or couch-coop. 

For Sekiro, that meant that I got one ending without backing up my save before the final boss fight since I didn't know that was a thing and also had not done the necessary steps for getting the two other endings (blind playthrough). I see that you got those three "good" endings in NG. 

Thing is, in the end it turned out that even though I needed to go to NG++ to get everything on one save, by the time I only had the "get all skills" trophy left I only had to grind skill points for 1 hour. 

I will generally look at a guide before starting because there are often missable trophies which require that you do so - no in game markers or hints at all ( I don't have time to play trial and error across multiple playthroughs as I largely like JRPGs which can take hundreds of hours).

I'll then have no more than 3 games on the go across PS4 and VITA, one usually being a small pallet cleanser for when long games seem like too much effort. 

If I finish a game to my liking but have a long grind to an easy plat, I may well just give up. Life is too short (e.g. Diablo3)

Edited by thefourfoldroot

Usually when I start playing a game I take a look at the trophies first, just not the hidden ones (I also do that immediately when I buy a game :D)
I play games that I like or games that look interesting, but I never play anything based on throphies. And most of the time, just one game. I don't like playing more at once, just because I feel rushed and have the fear of "forgetting story" when I play another game for a longer time while the other game gets a break. The only exception is when I play a game, and something I'm really excited for comes out. Then I think about starting the exciting one, finish that, and I try to get back to the other one again.
Every time I start a new game, I intend to do 100% /Platinum (not including DLC; when they're free or in a gamepack, good, I'll do them - if not, then it has to be something I'm really interested in otherwise I'll buy them later or never). Even though the intention is there, if there's something really hard or anything that requires you to play the game perfectly like Outlast, or DMC with their SSS Ranking (wich I find hard to do) I think about doing everything I can in the game, but usually give up trophywise at some point because it's just not doable for me.

Besides that, I just enjoy the game and play the whole story. I very rarely get bored from a game, and right off the bat I couldn't even name a game where that happend midway through the story. Mostly I play on hard difficulty as well because for me, most games are too easy to enjoy them on normal difficulty, like Tales of games for example. While playing through the story I sometimes check the trophies for the occasional "do many kills this way" or "stand in a particular spot for 10 seconds" kinda trophy, just to get a satisfying trophy-bling ?
I'm the collector/completionist type of gamer gamewise and I also enjoy a good grind in reasonable amounts (but hate rng based grinds), so even though there is no trophy for collectibles or for finishing all quests for example, I still do it. I just like doing it, so when there actually is a trophy for collectibles or all quests or similar trophies, I'm kinda happy and don't have the need to look at a guide before I even start a game just because of that. In general, I think that makes the whole platinum-intent "easier" for me in some kind of way.
That said, I don't use guides if it's not absolutely necessary. I use them when I missed a chest, or when there's a hard puzzle, or anything that might be "impossible" to get alone, but never to follow it through the whole game.
Most of the time I don't mind playing a game a second time right after the first time, if I still need trophies. At that point, I look at all trophies I'm still missing, look them up, see how and where to get them and play a lot faster, looking forward to platinum.
And I don't really mind if a game takes me 100+ hours. On the contrary, I'm happy if a game takes longer than 50 hours, makes the whole purchase worth it !

In the end I can say: I only play games I like, I try to platinum them if it's not too difficult, and even though I can't platinum them, I still play them for fun in a way I play every other game too because for me, platinums are not THAT important.

I use the buttons on the controller like most gamers.

There is never any structure with my gaming as in sticking with just one game at a time, its always really unpredictable.

Out of work hours which are always set in stone Mon-Fri 9.15-4.30 I game for at least 75% of that free time.  I enjoy a wide range of games from big AAA top titles to the random little indie games and easy slutty plats.  I always have a fun game to just chill with to play like Dead by daylight.  Every trophy is got but I still have alot of fun playing it and always like to have something fun to just throw on I can just play have fun and not be bothered about earning trophies or worrying about checking guides/vids, plus the hate mail you get is HALAAAAARIOUS!!  I picked up Detroit Become Human in the days of play sale (hell of a game btw) and I'm on my second playthrough now without using a guide, just making different choices and taking different paths to see how it pans out.  I miss the good old days before trophies sometimes when you just get a game and play!  I'll be taking a look at the guide at some point for sure but I'm just happy enjoying this immense story for now.  Since starting that I've started several others and am playing those also.  Somtimes I can start 5-10 games in one day and sometimes I'll get really into a game and just play it to death for weeks

I always get a good few hours in on my vita in work too so I'll always be playing throught the day and starting up new games randomly.

I've been gaming for 30 years of my life now and will never stop :)

• Like 1

I mostly play 1 game at a time. It helps me stay focused and makes me even more hyped for the next game I'm looking to platinum.

What I do is, I try to get as many trophies as possible (in one playthrough) and then clean up the rest. I usually check out the trophy list and make some notes on which trophies are easier to acquire and which ones need some bit of grinding for example.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

I use the buttons on the controller like most gamers.

There is never any structure with my gaming as in sticking with just one game at a time, its always really unpredictable.

Out of work hours which are always set in stone Mon-Fri 9.15-4.30 I game for at least 75% of that free time.  I enjoy a wide range of games from big AAA top titles to the random little indie games and easy slutty plats.  I always have a fun game to just chill with to play like Dead by daylight.  Every trophy is got but I still have alot of fun playing it and always like to have something fun to just throw on I can just play have fun and not be bothered about earning trophies or worrying about checking guides/vids, plus the hate mail you get is HALAAAAARIOUS!!  I picked up Detroit Become Human in the days of play sale (hell of a game btw) and I'm on my second playthrough now without using a guide, just making different choices and taking different paths to see how it pans out.  I miss the good old days before trophies sometimes when you just get a game and play!  I'll be taking a look at the guide at some point for sure but I'm just happy enjoying this immense story for now.  Since starting that I've started several others and am playing those also.  Somtimes I can start 5-10 games in one day and sometimes I'll get really into a game and just play it to death for weeks

I always get a good few hours in on my vita in work too so I'll always be playing throught the day and starting up new games randomly.

I've been gaming for 30 years of my life now and will never stop :)

Now basically, if I had to summarize your description in a short sentence it would be "I play the way I have the most fun". Nice to see this around here for a change :) 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 1