What Platinum is rarer than it should be?

Narfi525

StarBlood Arena - 0.97%

I think most people stop playing because this will definitely make you nauseous. The first time I tried it, I couldn’t even get past the tutorial. So I put it down for a few months until they announced they were closing servers so I sucked it up and went for it. It’s really not that hard! This could easily be at 10-20% plat rarity if people could get past the motion sickness. 

Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - 4% 

The online trophies are what makes this UR, otherwise it is easily ~20-30%.

4 hours ago, djb5f said:

All Madden games.  A lot of sports games have some difficulty (need to beat the elite of the elite online) or grinds but Madden has neither.

Definitely agree with this. I have all the plats 11-19 and honestly the hardest part of any of it was figuring out how to fix the community trophies in Madden 25. Only Madden 13 makes sense as a UR because of its huge grind. The rest would be generous as VRs.

Sport games and PS+ titles are too easy to pick, so I'll select Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011. The game is your typical easy Cabela's list that can be done in a day for the most part, and the hardest trophy (I Will Survive) wasn't very difficult at all with a small bit of practice/preparation and very moderate FPS skill. I even found the galleries in African Adventures to be a little harder. In terms of sub-2% rarity platinums, it's hard to find something easier that isn't a sport title or a former PS+ game.

Rez Infinite - 3,69%

Not that hard 4/10, not that long 15hrs, but really annoying because you need several playthroughs:

- 1 in Play Mode,   (<-- the basic game)

- 1 in Lost Area,

- 6 in Direct Assault,   (<-- the basic game x6)

- 1 in Boss Rush Mode,

- 30 in Score Attack Mode,   (<-- clear a chapter x30 !!)

- 2 in Area X.

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

You know, I really have to go with Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. It's a sub-10 hour platinum at 3.45% rarity. It's not hard (maybe a 3/10 in difficulty), it's not bad, and it's not unpopular (over 53k players on PSNP). By all counts, this should be one of my most common plats, but it's one of my rarest...

I agree with you! It was a PS+ game and isn't really hard.

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

You know, I really have to go with Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. It's a sub-10 hour platinum at 3.45% rarity. It's not hard (maybe a 3/10 in difficulty), it's not bad, and it's not unpopular (over 53k players on PSNP). By all counts, this should be one of my most common plats, but it's one of my rarest...

It's exactly the same for me. I've played it with my girlfriend and after that I just finished requirements for the Platinum solo. Very easy, yet one of my rarest trophies.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Mafia II and Mafia III

I may be in the minority but I absolutely loved playing through these games.

Hard difficulty in Mafia II isn't hard, it's at worst slightly annoying. You have to run around and collect Playboy magazines and Wanted posters, the latter of which is a boring collectible required for the platinum trophy.

Most people who have the platinum probably know the infamous Wanted poster that is only reachable by driving your car off the freeway and landing on top of a building. But that's about the worst of it.

Easy platinum.

Mafia III gets a lot of criticism for it's repetitive gameplay. You have to save all the possible underbosses once and then kill them all in two playthroughs, because you can't go back and revert your decision once you take over that section of the districts. Nothing difficult in this game, although a few glitches prevent this one from being great.

Absolutely love the 1950s - 1960s soundtracks and the games attempts at recreating the time period. Both had fine acting, they did a good job with the story in both games.

The platinum trophies are definitely rarer than they should. I think most just give up on Mafia III because of how boring it can be.

I agree for mafia 3, as that was a real easy plat, but mafia 2 and the wanted posters had that randomization that if you picked up even 1 poster, the names would not meet up with the locations, which made picking them an absolute hell, even with a guide at hand.

It took me hours getting all the locations again just to pick up those you were missing, so i am sure this can put a lot of people off.

My choice : The walking dead series, anywhere between 40 and 75 percent.

Seriously, how lazy can you be that you can't even hit a few buttons to finish off a story? :facepalm:

Edited by colia100

Velocity 2X (1.51%): hard game, require some skill and patience, but it's platinum percentage is surprisingly low, considering few harder platinums from PS+ games are more common. Should be around 2-3% or even 3-4%.

LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4) (2.00%): even more interesing case, few trophies were frustrating but it shouldn't even be an UR platinum. Probably being game for kids make it so rare.

Snake Pass (7.43%): a bit hard to pick up because of very original and specific controls, but after beating the game platinum is just formality. Should be rare IMO (10-20%).

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2.83%) - This was also a PS+ game and the servers were broken for the "online" part of the game for a few months at the end of last year so that could explain the rarity. But it is otherwise a very easy game, even on the hardest difficulty you can just stealth past everything.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Velocity 2X (1.51%): hard game, require some skill and patience, but it's platinum percentage is surprisingly low, considering few harder platinums from PS+ games are more common. Should be around 2-3% or even 3-4%.

The DLC is more difficult than the base game. I ended up having to use the Vita because touch teleport makes those Dual Core levels a lot easier to Perfect.

If you did those levels on the actual PS4, then props to you because you had to practice the shit out of those levels to stand a chance at perfecting them.

I think about Thumper (3,52% rarity)

If you play it with VR, it's not that hard, nor long to platinum.

I think most people just play 1 or 2 levels, without knowing the tricks to get maximum points, and give up directly without really trying ^^'

Apotheon (6.28% rarity)

Nothing difficult about this game at all, especially seeing as you can use a glitch to bypass Olympian difficulty. I remember being quite surprised at the low rarity after I completed that game initially. Could easily be a ~20% rarity platinum.

• Like 4

OreShika2/Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines that has a single worldwide list and platinum rarity of 1.33% (PSNP rarity) despite its not too small share of Japanese players (who very rarely fail to up those rarity percentages). It was part of the PS+ lineup in July 2016, though.

Judging by the actual difficulty (level of frustration with respect to the genre) of OreShika, I’d expect the platinum to be rare or borderline ultra rare. Possibly somewhere around 4-7% (for being a handheld exclusive and “super exotic niche VITA game”).

The game is incredibly niche and grindy for a JRPG, with one of the most dull trophies demanding that you actively pass 100 ingame years - and it is quite likely that you end up with at least half of these years left after finishing postgame (● ˃̶͈̀ロ˂̶͈́)੭ꠥ⁾⁾ For some odd reason or another, the rarest trophy is a different one and gained after completing postgame (Happy, Happy Hiruko) which requires some grind (yes, you see, about this game... the grind is strong with this one  :giggle:) but is not overly difficult. Just tedious. 

Only 7% of players completed the maingame and I imagine that it’s so largely due to that dungeons don’t have (mini)maps. It’s as if this game was designed to force the player to dish out good old pen & paper ✏️ Also, I remember that back in the day when OreShika first released in English, there was plenty speculation that dungeons seem to have a degree of randomisation to them.

The good stuff you absolutely wanna know & why you shouldn’t let the low rarity percentage scare you:

dungeons are set up to be reminiscent of labyrinths and can be confuzzling to navigate but they’re not actually randomised. Each dungeon comes in up to 4 flavours and layouts are set in stone. Once you got 3-4 layouts for a dungeon plotted down (or have access to the full collection of maps), you’re set. 

The same goes for the location of the few key items there are and, for the most part, also for the Festivals that you spend the first half to 2/3s of the game going after. The Festivals can pop up at random in a small, set number of preset locations (certain rooms) within dungeons - determined by the # of the Festival + some randomness to make us cry keep life exciting ♪♫

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoldenComix said:

medal of honor warfighter
ghost recon future soldier ( easy with boost and nice multiplayer- maybe Ultra rare because you need 8 ppl in any game mode )

Future soldier has some glitchy trophies.  Ubi owes me at least 2 of them and not sure if they ever got fixed.

My vote goes to Broken Age.  5.88% platinum rate.  There are some kind of random trophies, but it's a point-and-click puzzle game anyone should be able to platinum it with relative ease.  I have zero clue why this sucker is so rare.  

However, platinum rate also relates to the type of people who play the game.  Super popular games (GTA, etc) have a low completion rate because everyone and their dog played it.  RPGs usually (IMHO) have a relatively high completion rate compared to the time required.  But, I suspect RPG players tend to be completionists who are more inclined to get every ending, etc. anyway.  The various Souls plats are actually fairly common because people get them to flex.  I could go on.       

Key point: there isn't a perfect correlation between rarity and difficulty.  

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 11:16 AM, Fen said:

OreShika2/Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines that has a single worldwide list and platinum rarity of 1.33% (PSNP rarity) despite its not too small share of Japanese players (who very rarely fail to up those rarity percentages). It was part of the PS+ lineup in July 2016, though.

Judging by the actual difficulty (level of frustration with respect to the genre) of OreShika, I’d expect the platinum to be rare or borderline ultra rare. Possibly somewhere around 4-7% (for being a handheld exclusive and “super exotic niche VITA game”).

The game is incredibly niche and grindy for a JRPG, with one of the most dull trophies demanding that you actively pass 100 ingame years - and it is quite likely that you end up with at least half of these years left after finishing postgame (● ˃̶͈̀ロ˂̶͈́)੭ꠥ⁾⁾ For some odd reason or another, the rarest trophy is a different one and gained after completing postgame (Happy, Happy Hiruko) which requires some grind (yes, you see, about this game... the grind is strong with this one  :giggle:) but is not overly difficult. Just tedious. 

Only 7% of players completed the maingame and I imagine that it’s so largely due to that dungeons don’t have (mini)maps. It’s as if this game was designed to force the player to dish out good old pen & paper 270f.png Also, I remember that back in the day when OreShika first released in English, there was plenty speculation that dungeons seem to have a degree of randomisation to them.

The good stuff you absolutely wanna know & why you shouldn’t let the low rarity percentage scare you:

dungeons are set up to be reminiscent of labyrinths and can be confuzzling to navigate but they’re not actually randomised. Each dungeon comes in up to 4 flavours and layouts are set in stone. Once you got 3-4 layouts for a dungeon plotted down (or have access to the full collection of maps), you’re set. 

The same goes for the location of the few key items there are and, for the most part, also for the Festivals that you spend the first half to 2/3s of the game going after. The Festivals can pop up at random in a small, set number of preset locations (certain rooms) within dungeons - determined by the # of the Festival + some randomness to make us cry keep life exciting ♪♫

I can agree that Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is a game that shouldn't be that rare to platinum, but you also have to take into consideration that luck plays a major role in that game. If you can't get good offspring to take out the god/goddess three times each in order to get them to go back to the heavens, than it can be rather grindy as hell. Right now that is where I'm at a standstill with that game; even though I plan to one day platinum it. I can imagine people gave up because of the sheer fact that you have to beat everyone a total of three times to send them off forever.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:03 AM, GraniteSnake said:

Apotheon (6.28% rarity)

Nothing difficult about this game at all, especially seeing as you can use a glitch to bypass Olympian difficulty. I remember being quite surprised at the low rarity after I completed that game initially. Could easily be a ~20% rarity platinum.

Completely agree with this, I found it extremely simple for something bordering on ultra rare, even though it was on plus. 

Another would be playroom VR, and yeah you could also argue that it is a demo type thing for VR so it makes sense, but the 100% for it took sub 5 hours just messing around in it with my gf who rarely plays games. The plat is at 7.09% and the 100% completion is at 4.56%, go for it if you have a VR, plus it's fun too not just easy

• Like 1

Any of the PlayLink games. They are all fun and relatively simple party games (and I think they're great). The only reason they are rare is because you can't really solo them. You actually have to have a group of friends over to play with.

That's You! - 1.91%

Chimparty - 9.96%

Knowledge Is Power - 1.85%

Knowledge Is Power: Decades - 4.17%

Frantics - 3.34%

Just Deal With It - 1.60%

Hidden Agenda - 8.86%

Wordhunters - 0.75%

Melbits World - 3.23%

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 1:02 AM, Spaz said:

Mafia II and Mafia III

I may be in the minority but I absolutely loved playing through these games.

Hard difficulty in Mafia II isn't hard, it's at worst slightly annoying. You have to run around and collect Playboy magazines and Wanted posters, the latter of which is a boring collectible required for the platinum trophy.

Most people who have the platinum probably know the infamous Wanted poster that is only reachable by driving your car off the freeway and landing on top of a building. But that's about the worst of it.

Easy platinum.

Mafia III gets a lot of criticism for it's repetitive gameplay. You have to save all the possible underbosses once and then kill them all in two playthroughs, because you can't go back and revert your decision once you take over that section of the districts. Nothing difficult in this game, although a few glitches prevent this one from being great.

Absolutely love the 1950s - 1960s soundtracks and the games attempts at recreating the time period. Both had fine acting, they did a good job with the story in both games.

The platinum trophies are definitely rarer than they should. I think most just give up on Mafia III because of how boring it can be.

Enjoyed Mafia 3 (PS+)  yes it was repetitive but it was still fun and now I'm gonna sit here and wait for Mafia 4.

Axiom Verge (4.52%).  Considering it’s a metroidvania-type game (leaning more to the old-school Metroid games with the graphics), I figured this wouldn’t be that difficult.  You could do certain gold trophies on separate playthroughs to make it simpler (although I challenged myself to finish hard difficulty without dying, finding less than 40% items).

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 10:56 PM, BlindMango said:

I always thought The Last Guardian was a game that's rarer than it should be. Sure it takes a couple playthroughs but all of its trophies are fairly straight-forward and the time based trophies have lots of leeway. Its platinum trophy is at 3% rarity! Always figured 6 - 10% rarity or something would make more sense for that game :P

As someone who despises that game and gave up on the platinum, it's cuz of Trico's infuriating ass it's so rare. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tsuki_-no-_usagi said:

I can agree that Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is a game that shouldn't be that rare to platinum.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:16 AM, Fen said:

I'm sorry, the low rarity is my fault. I was enjoying the game, I had no idea what was going but I was having a good time, when my PS+ membership expired and I didn't get around to renewing it for awhile. I forget the game existed, I'll go up the rarity eventually.

I'm also responsible for a lot of other PS+ games as well. I'll get around to most of them eventually.