Skill based trophies that you gave up on

AJ_Radio

There is a thread on PST.org that caught my attention and while I know there is a thread on this regarding platinums, this applies to any skill based trophy that you poured a lot of time into, didn't get it due to lack of skill or dedication, and moved on.

What were your skilled based trophies you tried to get but couldn't?

Currently I have none at the moment, but two titles I've played recently, Capcom Arcade Cabinet and Woah Dave! I may hang up the towel if they prove to be too frustrating.

Lc0ab26.png

33Sdc2a10.pngBless You (Earn the Buddha's blessing (SONSON))

One I will probably never get due to the fact that this game has no continues. Problem now is with Capcom Arcade Cabinet being stuck on a last gen console and due to the age of the games themselves, it will be tough to find a good boosting partner for this one. Playing this solo is extremely difficult and hectic.

17S03ae26.pngWingate Whacker (Defeat the Wingate family (GUN. SMOKE))

The toughest and nastiest game on the list. Tried multiple times to even get the silver trophy in this game, poured a few hours in, and gave up. Only for the truly determined and hardcore.

L0de5ee.png

7S4cfb6c.pngCall me Aaron Burr (Collect one thousand pennies!)

The deal breaker for a lot of players. Takes around 15 - 20 minutes to collect one thousand pennies. Game gets extremely difficult starting at 300 - 500 pennies due to enemy spawns being much more frequent. Requires a lot of skill and dedication, which I don't think I have.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

I’ve got a few scores in a couple challenges in Little Deviants that I don’t know if I’d classify them as skill based, they certainly aren’t luck based, that wear me out after a few attempts and make me not want to finish. 

I will finish them, but finding the motivation is tough when there are other games to play. 

• Like 1

Trophy: The Dash Eternal

Game: Hyper Light Drifter

Fantastic indie title. Gorgeous and fun. Great trophy list too, except for this one incredibly unrealistic trophy. Massive roadblock.

Essentially you have to "chain dash" 800 times in a row. The game gives you a donut-shaped arena to do it in and keeps a counter, but it's incredibly tough. It's rhythm based with a very small margin.

Apparently the prevailing strategy is to link the game up to a macro program on a PC through system link, but even then that's Chinese to me. 

Just too hard!

• Like 2

The first and only trophy that comes to mind that doesn't require luck so much as it requires you to be able to time a video to the game itself is,

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2333-drakengard-3/6-ending-d

Without that video I truly cannot fathom how people were able to beat the boss that unlocks that trophy. I think I tried for a couple weeks with the video but I just couldn't consistently get the video to sync with my game and decided it just wasn't worth the time anymore.

• Like 4

None, ever.  I just kept at it until I got them.  It may have taken me 2 straight weeks of multi-hour sessions to win 2 races in Gran Turismo 5, but I did eventually win, lol.  As with anything skill-based, persistency usually leads to success.  As the old adage goes: Practice makes perfect.

• Like 1

Just Cause 3: getting 5 gears (stars) on all challenges. With enough time I probably could get them, but by the time I was done with the campaign, dlc stories, collecting all vehicles and completing everything else, I was tired of the game and the loading times weren't worth it for replaying challenges.

I'm sure there's more trophies I abandoned due to lacking skill, but usually I go into a game knowing whether or not I'll try for skill-based trophies. That way I don't get as frustrated if I can't do something in a timely manner.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

L0de5ee.png

7S4cfb6c.pngCall me Aaron Burr (Collect one thousand pennies!)

The deal breaker for a lot of players. Takes around 15 - 20 minutes to collect one thousand pennies. Game gets extremely difficult starting at 300 - 500 pennies due to enemy spawns being much more frequent. Requires a lot of skill and dedication, which I don't think I have.

I can say i am one of those lucky 100% owners of this game from the top 15 when it was free on ps plus. I love it a lot. And i can say it's not super difficult but it is challenging. But if you just practice and time your jumps and throw the eggs either to one side and spend as much time until one side collapsing you should be good. You can pretty much do it.

This is actually one of my favorite title when it comes to Indie games. I wish you all the best on Woah Dave it's super fun. And if you need any tips PM me, and i send you some of my strategy that i used to get my 1000 pennies.

I'd say one of the games i gave up (those aren't really that much skill based, but The Hungry Horde, and Metrico are actually) is Sly Cooper Thieves In Time, Metrico, The Hungry Horde and a few other titles. I simply don't like these games. And they aren't really that difficult, but i just can't be bothered finishing these. I don't have OCD when i have incomplete games. As long as i don't have any unobtainables i should be good for leaving it just like that unfinished.

Edited by TazDevilz1986
  • Like 2

I never consider a certain trophy a plat breaker. I do put games on pause sometimes because I do not feel like breaking my controller over something so silly as a digital reward. For example, I intend to finish Mirror's Edge at some point, but the chapter speedruns were starting to annoy me so much that it threatened to cancel out the fun I had had with the game up to that point. I will return to it at a later date, maybe for plat 100.

Like Taz says, as long as I have the online done for a game I am fine with finishing it up "some day".

• Like 4

• Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - Those combo challenge trophies are fucking ridiculous. I'll never be anywhere near good enough to clear one entire character's worth of them, let alone three.
  • Devil May Cry 5 - Getting an S-Rank on every single mission on every single difficulty, including Hell and Hell mode? Right. I'm better off just accepting I'll never get the Platinum. The fact that the game now punishes you for using checkpoints was the last straw.
  • Taiko no Tatsujin - Drum Session! - I have to give major props to anyone that does manage to get the Platinum for this game, because it is absolutely fucking bonkers. If you told me the developers made it absurdly difficult to get on purpose, I would totally believe you.

6 hours ago, lordguwa said:

my achilles heal happens to be speed run or skill. DMC remake is one of em. there's so many different combos you have to do. just for a high score.

Jackpot!

Complete all missions on the Nephilim difficulty with a SSS rank

Compared to clearing Bloody Palace with an S-Rank in DMC4 and the aforementioned trophy from DMC5 (Worthy of Legend), Jackpot! was actually quite easy to get. I don't even remember having any problem getting it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jrdemr said:

~snip~

Catherine must of been pretty hectic. I've looked at gameplay videos and it doesn't look all that fun at all.

Assassins Creed III, while not hard, is pretty annoying. Still need to finish off the DLC and go after that dreaded Completionist trophy. Definitely the most annoying Assassins Creed game I've played besides the ones that require online multiplayer.

• Like 1

Currently none, I still need to finish some dlcs but I think I can finish them if The practice enough. 

I don't mind practising my ass off for a trophy.

The real problem for me are the games that take forever to finish like neverwinter and Elder scrolls online. I have this two in my list at like 2% and I think I will never finish them, I don't want to spend so much time playing game that I don't like.

• Like 1

Gold Standard from Gran Turismo 5. Last time I played it I was actually really happy with my progress.. managed to pick up gold in every license event and then went onto the AMG academy.. gave up on it once I reached the intermediate full lap..

I may go back to it some day but for now the platinum seems out of my reach. Would’ve been nice if GT5 was DualShock 4 compatible but unfortunately no dice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Catherine must of been pretty hectic. I've looked at gameplay videos and it doesn't look all that fun at all.

Assassins Creed III, while not hard, is pretty annoying. Still need to finish off the DLC and go after that dreaded Completionist trophy. Definitely the most annoying Assassins Creed game I've played besides the ones that require online multiplayer.

Catherine is actually pretty fun! But yeah, getting a Gold prize on all levels in Hard difficulty was hell :P

Assassin's Creed III wasn't difficult at all, but I do remember it taking quite some time to finish. Quite a lot of stuff to do.

The Evil Within - You Asked For It (Finish the game on 悪夢(AKUMU) mode.)

Yeah thank you but no thank you, I do like my controller in one piece.

Titanfall 2 - ...Becomes the Master (Place in the top 3 on the Gauntlet scoreboard)

After hours of trying I just gave up, it's just not worth it.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Brutality 101 (Perform 15 different combat moves in one FreeFlow.)

Same as with the one above, the requirements for those two bronze trophies are just ridiculous.

• Like 3