PS5 Controller Revealed Dualsense

Aranea Highwind

Notable departure. The "color" choice is jarring, being predominantly white, which btw is a weird direction to take and represent the PlayStation brand with. It's a drastic change from what they usually make, but that doesn't inherently make it better. There should be a bit more black, as well as colored symbols on the right side... which despite Sony's lack of implementation on other controllers has been a staple with every other mainline controller at launch.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I think it looks great and the features it has touched on are brilliant. Considering the amount of alternate controller colours there are for PS4 - it's probably safe to say that the colour scheme in the images is the baseline default scheme. So the folks moaning about it will no doubt have more options either at launch or soon after.

And whatever happens - it could be worse, the controller could need actual batteries to function, imagine that ;)

That would be a selling point to me, actually, as it would mean that the batteries are replaceable.  The idea that having removable batteries is somehow a bad thing makes no sense to me at all.  For instance, people are complaining that the Series X controller uses Double A batteries as if it's a bad thing!  Having removable batteries means that the controller will last the lifetime of the console.

2 hours ago, DemonicDraco said:

Its ugly looks a bit bulkier than ds4 but almost the same controller really... I miss ps1 - ps3 controllers..

Dualshock 3 was kinda lame, the triggers splipped a lot (specially in racing games) and the motion controls worked half the time. The DS4 is atm the best one imo

• Like 1

I hate it. The only thing I like is the way the lightbar looks, but otherwise it's hideous to me. Hopefully it's at least comfortable to hold and use and the d-pad is good. I can stomach the ugliest controller in years if it's at least highly functional. Better not take like 6 years to get purple though and they better not make it purple and black or some crap, I hate the dual color thing they have going on.

• Like 2

Thoughts:

+ great look

+ smoother curves so you can better feel the haptics 

+ Apparently longer battery life

+ feedback triggers

- will need to used DS4 still for PSVR

- No paddles 

- no confirmation of the motion tech that’s been included since ps3 

- no confirmation on headset jack

- no colour on the face buttons (just wrong)

I am wondering about the console colour now of course...

58 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

That would be a selling point to me, actually, as it would mean that the batteries are replaceable.  The idea that having removable batteries is somehow a bad thing makes no sense to me at all.  For instance, people are complaining that the Series X controller uses Double A batteries as if it's a bad thing!  Having removable batteries means that the controller will last the lifetime of the console.

Never has a controller not lasted as long as it’s console. My launch PS4 controller is still fine, and that had the worst battery life of any controller ever.

44 minutes ago, AlchemistWer said:

Seem like a xbox controller to be honest. /:

Needed the smooth sides so there’s more contact area for the haptics I’m thinking 

2 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

Here’s hoping a DS4 controller is useable with the PS5.

Given there’s no front light and PSVR is compatible I’m guessing ds4 needs to be compatible.

• Like 1

I think it looks fine but I hope that you can turn off the mic feature and only use it for parties and that you can get the controller in black since at this point I'm just used to PlayStation stuff being black with blue lights. But I don't know, maybe I'll get used to it. I mainly just want it to be comfortable to use but with what I'm seeing now I don't see comfort being an issue.

50 minutes ago, bpmotard said:

Dualshock 3 was kinda lame, the triggers splipped a lot (specially in racing games) and the motion controls worked half the time. The DS4 is atm the best one imo

Wasmy favorite controler never had problems with the shoulder buttons, the sixaxis did suck but honestly who cares? Its barely used and even if it worked better it still sucks... like on the ds4.. honestly think sony puts too much extra tech in controĺers... buttons, analog sticks and a dpad is all i really want. Motion controls, lights, speakers, mics, touch pads... all either kinda pointless or sometimes annoying imo... if 3rd party controllers werent pure garbage id probably prefer em..

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The black lines on the controller distort the shape of the controller. Holding up a Dualshock 3 and a Dualshock 4 to the shape, it looks like it'll be a nice contour improvement over both. 

I agree. I cannot stand holding an Xbox controller. Feels so awkward.

I concur as well, plus the symmetrical analogs feel some much more natural.

This thread needed a poll to show how many users like it/hate it. Would have been interesting to see the differences.

Edited by Ghost

3 minutes ago, Void said:

I concur as well, plus the symmetrical analogs feel some much more natural.

I dont understand asymmetrical sticks... my hands are pretty symmetrical... maybe its because I dont play first person stuff...

Im undecided but super skeptical about heptic feedback... I hope it can be disabled if its a annoying

7 minutes ago, DemonicDraco said:

I dont understand asymmetrical sticks... my hands are pretty symmetrical... maybe its because I dont play first person stuff...

Im undecided but super skeptical about heptic feedback... I hope it can be disabled if its a annoying

I was afraid they might go the asymmetrical route this time, good to see they stuck with symmetrical. Never understood why some folks love that style but hey to each their own and i do not place any first person games either.