Is it "cheating" if I use guides to platinum a game?

Erayserbeam

No, it is not cheating. Game guides and strategy guides has been around for a long time. Nintendo even had the hotline you could call to get tips on your games. Trophy guides are no different. They are there to help you out in your pursuit of Platinum's.

If it is cheating, than a majority of this site are cheaters.

• Like 2

[SARCASM FONT] It’s absolutely cheating. You’re riding on someone else doing the work and telling you what to do. [/SARCASM FONT]

Does it matter? No. Even people who call out boosting as cheating all use guides before they even try a game. 

Edited by DaivRules
Forgot that this was a very serious conversation that needs proper documentation

No it's not cheating some trophies are hidden so you would have no idea how to unlock them,some can be very vague and others can just have odd requirements. 

I've used guides for games dating back to when Nintendo Power was relevant and they were posting stuff for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

If you think you 'cheated' because you spoiled the story and used a walkthrough from start to finish, you only cheated yourself because you spoiled the game. Technically it's not considered cheating, only a fool in this day and age would say so.

Some people make my head spin.

• Like 3

No, no, a thousand times no. Even if you use the guide, it doesn't change that you still did the work to earn the trophies. I see it like cooking a dish from a recipe you found on the net or in a magazine... you know what goes into it, but you need the right proportions, temperature, etc.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1

Yes. I'm sure there is a special Hell of people that use guides for video games. ?

Well I like to go into a game blind and if I do get stuck I do look at a guide.

And since I'm playing an older Hitman game I need one. ? It's just so different compared to the newer games.

I mean I didn't know how to poison items in this.

I remember first using the Internet to find some remaining stars in Super Mario 64. It was a huge relief.

i remember using a video online to figure out how to unlock the Invincibility Cheat in Goldeneye Facility level. Guide present, it’s still an insane accomplishment.

The guides “help” but having used them it’s still on the gamer to execute, which is always still hard. No it’s not cheating, it’s passion.

5 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I remember first using the Internet to find some remaining stars in Super Mario 64. It was a huge relief.

i remember using a video online to figure out how to unlock the Invincibility Cheat in Goldeneye Facility level. Guide present, it’s still an insane accomplishment.

The guides “help” but having used them it’s still on the gamer to execute, which is always still hard. No it’s not cheating, it’s passion.

Not sure whether you're talking about Goldeneye 007 on the N64 or some other game. It's been forever since I last touched it.

The train level was a bitch on 007 difficulty. So was the last two 'secret' levels, the one with Jaws I had a lot of trouble on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Not sure whether you're talking about Goldeneye 007 on the N64 or some other game. It's been forever since I last touched it.

The train level was a bitch on 007 difficulty. So was the last two 'secret' levels, the one with Jaws I had a lot of trouble on.

Yeah the N64 one - spent my entire 11 and 12-year old life playing that. Train was very difficult but the Aztec level with Jaws 007 was very very painful too. I remember it well. There were secrets in the Egypt one to make it easier. But not Aztec

5 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Yeah the N64 one - spent my entire 11 and 12-year old life playing that. Train was very difficult but the Aztec level with Jaws 007 was very very painful too. I remember it well. There were secrets in the Egypt one to make it easier. But not Aztec

The game was my shit back in 1998 - 1999. Used to have a friend (who sadly, died from an accident) come over and we'd spend the night playing Goldeneye and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. We actually had sleep ins. Do kids even do that anymore?

God I miss those days.

Just now, Spaz said:

The game was my shit back in 1998 - 1999. Used to have a friend (who sadly, died from an accident) come over and we'd spend the night playing Goldeneye and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. We actually had sleep ins. Do kids even do that anymore?

God I miss those days.

Oh man the all night gaming sleepovers we did too with a couple friends the same age as my brother and I. Would have Goldeneye tournaments. Would play games like South Park without their parents knowing. Then we’d watch James Bond Movies. Sorry also for your loss