Has someone of you quit trophy hunting after noticing you enjoy less the games? (it feels like a job sometimes)

Lezonidas

I don't go for a platinum if it looks too hard or has trophies that just want to make you get bored of the game, but i'm still going to play it. Like Gravity Rush is one of my favourite PS4 games but didn't platinum it. If you're letting trophies be a deciding factor on buying a game or not then yeah take a break but theres nothing wrong with looking at trophies first so you know what to expect, thats normal and its weirder to not do it.

6 hours ago, Unknown_v2_0 said:

I feel like he means In other words don't become Unknown_V2_0 lol

Not at all, you have just been lost for a long time. I am sure you are starting to learn alot more about trophy hunters now with your podcast. The talk off air is always far more interesting and open than anything ever recorded. Hopefully they can help you to realise you have more to offer than a trophy card. Until then keep up the good work with your show. I look forward to the day when I tune in and you are truly happy you deserve it.

• Like 1

I usually play games that I know I'll enjoy so I'll get the trophies in them as well. Not always the case and I'll have to grind it out or if it is out of reach, just move on. I did notice that if all I'm thinking about are the trophies in a game and not what I'm experiencing in the moment; I do get less enjoyment out of it. 

On 9/6/2020 at 9:14 AM, Lezonidas said:

At the beginning it was mostly fun to go for the platinum, but lately it feels like a job. I'm at a point that I check a trophy list before I buy a game and I think that's not good for the hobby of gaming. I don't know if I need a few months/years off, just play for fun without thinking about routes, or missables, or checking guides for collectibles and stuff like that. Has someone of you experienced something like this?

I'm just basing this off the games after looking at your profile.

I notice you played the Spyro series - and as someone who also played the trilogy, that is one of those games that can get a bit annoying making sure you're always collecting all the gems even if it's an easy platinum. My recommendation to you would be what I do - I always accept that some games are going to require more diligence towards a platinum than others. The key is if I'm feeling burnt out towards specifically being efficient - I'll play a game that has 0 missables and that I can just enjoy at my own pace. After playing through that game, I always feel that itch to get back on the platinum chasing horse, and typically enjoy it.

You have the PERFECT game for this in my mind, Batman: Arkham Knight. I love it to bits, it has 0 missables, and you can play the game normally and anything you miss you can comeback to later. You also just seem to enjoy the Arkham series in general given you've gotten a good number of the trophies in Asylum/City. That would be my tip, play something that you know you can play without worrying about trophies - and eventually you're gonna wanna come back to trophy hunting "seriously" with future games. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, realm722 said:

You have the PERFECT game for this in my mind, Batman: Arkham Knight. I love it to bits, it has 0 missables, and you can play the game normally and anything you miss you can comeback to later. You also just seem to enjoy the Arkham series in general given you've gotten a good number of the trophies in Asylum/City. That would be my tip, play something that you know you can play without worrying about trophies - and eventually you're gonna wanna come back to trophy hunting "seriously" with future games. 

There's a LOT you have to do in Arkham Knight. Brutality 101, that stupid trophy for making 5 perfect shots with the Batmobile, having to fly under the bridges in one continuous glide, a handful of Riddler trophies being a cumbersome puzzle, etc etc etc.

Play the story first, complete the story, see if you enjoy it, and if you really do, then start going after the trophies. My advice for someone not wanting to fully focus on trophies from the get go.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:14 AM, Lezonidas said:

At the beginning it was mostly fun to go for the platinum, but lately it feels like a job. I'm at a point that I check a trophy list before I buy a game and I think that's not good for the hobby of gaming. I don't know if I need a few months/years off, just play for fun without thinking about routes, or missables, or checking guides for collectibles and stuff like that. Has someone of you experienced something like this?

Never experienced it yet. I don't play games that I'm not interested in beforehand, never worry about leaderboard rankings and never force the pressure of a backlog on my shoulders (only buy games I'll immediately start).

It gets easier the older you get.

Last week I decided to take a break from the PS4 so I could go back to playing some old PC games. I never bothered with this trophy obsession on PC because there were no trophies on PC. I just played the game for fun because it was always about the fun. It's so much more liberating that way. When I returned back to the PS4 this week I see that this trophy hunting is a Playstation 4 thing. There are no trophies on the Nintendo Switch nor are there trophies on Xbox 1. I never bothered with trophies on the PS3 either. Well TWD game introduced me to this whole trophy-hunting.

Maybe it's the sound of the trophy popping up that makes it so addictive. Anyways that's my 2 cents.

Edited by DJ_KamurochoVibe
Change
  • Like 1

Most trophy completions destroy even the very best of games. 

Even the likes of Witcher 3. Some of those trophies like 50 headshots with a broken bow mechanic are dog shit to do. 

I've been going for completions since 2007 and to this day I can count on one hand where the completions didn't destroy the fun in anyway. 

Batman: Arkham Asylum.

BioShock.

Mass Effect 2. 

Fable II

Most of the completion self reward is more about looking back at your completion list and knowing you did it. Then you can also gives your valid opinions on games to others. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

At some point I was concerned about stuff like that but then I realised my trophy hunting career is at a point where my profile will always be more decorated than the average PSN user who don't care about trophies. So I've just been chilling and playing whatever.

What I do give credit to the sometimes un-fun discipline of trophy hunting, is that it encourages me to actually play and finish my games. I'm glad for that because by the end of it, I find that I get more engagement out of my library of games. More enjoyment. In that way, trophy hunting does the opposite of burning me out from gaming.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

I started trophy hunting a couple years ago and decided to keep my account, which is a mess, instead of creating a new one. I just like to see my whole trophy history in one place. With where I am in life, there is no way I'm going to get my unearned trophies reduced by much, but I am trying. I try to cycle in 1 incomplete game for about ever 3 that I play, I just have so many on my backlog I want to play through.

When I choose games to play, I usually look to get the platinum, but there are some exceptions that I just accept I won't be spending the time to platinum, unless I'm enjoying it. RDR2 is a good example of this since I really like the single player, but don't feel like playing the online portion and grinding that out. Another recent game was Death Stranding, which takes about 30 hours to get 80% of the trophies, that last 20% is pretty boring grinding for another 30-50 hours (according to guides).

Not saying that I don't think about going back and getting those last few trophies, but I'd rather look forward to a newer game from my backlog to play rather than grinding out a few remaining trophies for hours. Sometimes for longer grinds, I'll make sure to spend some time on it every now and then, even if it takes me months to finish it up. Using this balance has made me content with what I play and my completion percent has gone from 37% when I started going for trophies to 54%. I think the key is to weave in different games over time and take breaks from farming grindy trophies. I usually will have 3-5 games in progress.

Gaming feels like that when I play a lot of average to good games and maybe put in more time to them than I normally would. However if I happen to find a game that I feel like I can't put down, I have no issue abandoning these games at least for the time being. Also this trophy list on PSNP is just one part of games I play, or played in the past. Even if it's 100%, it doesn't mean I'm somehow finally "free" to do as I please. I can give that permission to myself anytime I want, but I don't always have that next big thing in mind or don't feel I have the energy play it when it's some 80 hour JRPG (I play these a lot), or maybe it's expensive or otherwise hard to acquire.

I have to say my most recent Plats have felt kind of like a chore. P5 Royal, Death Stranding, FFX and FFX-2 Remastered were a massive grind for me. I've got Days Gone to do next, which is another big grind for the Plat. I am also close to the Platinum on FFXIV which is a 400+ hour grind.

Edited by SublimeHawk

I am and always will be a casual trophy hunter, for 3 main reasons.

1. I can enjoy the games at my own pace.
    No rushing through, no using guides to be optimal. I sometimes peek for missables, but am completely okay with taking twice as long as a guide's recommended time is, etc. There's no rush, or pressure to uphold a rank or something.
  2. Replaying games I loved again?
    No problem. I know some people make a second account to replay games, so they get trophies again, but that's too much stress for me. I also dabble on PC and Switch.
  3. Getting stuck on a hard game, or simply aren't enjoying something?
    No obligation to keep on playing. If I was more serious about keeping a high completion rate or something, that'd feel bad and it should turn into a chore. Also  - no barriers to starting a game. I picked up Super Meat Boy knowing I'd never platinum it. I'm okay with that. If I was more serious I'd probably have skipped it.

Keeping it casual is easy and stress free. If a game feels like a chore / job, chances are I'll move on. Maybe I'll come back to it, maybe I won't. There are too many good games to be caught up in ones I'm not feeling.

• Like 1

I trophy-hunt most of the time, but my love for a game supersedes my love for trophies. If I like a game, I'll play it, even if I have all of the trophies.

I have, however, refused to start/purchase games with no trophies, or games with very difficult/multiplayer-oriented trophies.

On 06/09/2020 at 2:39 PM, BB-BakkerJ said:

I always play games for fun. I never buy games for trophies. But I am a completionist, and many fun games unfortunately have shitty trophy lists. So I force myself through it even though I really don’t want to do it. And when that happens I take a big break. As an example: I really loved Wolfenstein II, I know I can do Mein Leben, but I just don’t want to put in the time to get it.

I was the same I played The Last of Us Part 2 and was fully intended to get the Platinum but I just didn't enjoy it and it actually clouded my gaming for a month a so. It's not the games fault as I can see it is a Masterpiece its my fault as its just not my thing.

On 07/09/2020 at 4:12 AM, Wild-Arms-R said:

If you lose your passion for something, you never truely had it to begin with.

Im not just a complatiost, Im the kind of person who just wants to be the very best I can be when it comes to the things I love and care for(workouts, my gf, gaming, helping others and sometimes my job. lol)

So to me gaming, witch I love is no diffance.

If I feel I need a short break to rest and recharged Ill do it(like I have in the past) 

But that passion to 100% experice another person from of art they have created(this being video games) hasnt died...and it never will.

So Ill say this to anyone who is honstly stuggling to keep the trophy hunter life going, really stop and think why your a hunter, and gamer as a whole.

Why are you doing this?

If you dont find passion inside your heart(I know that sounds crony lol)

Then back off and just let it go, cus living a life without passion, is not a life worth living.

Dont lie to yourself.

Peace...✌

Love that saying and it is so true, I had passion in my work for so very long but in the recent years that passion has subsided and its just a Job. But I am more passionate as I ever was with gaming and I think it helps that i Was born at just the right time when Video games were only in the Arcade (Yes I am THAT old) and then I was witness to all the console and computer launches where the Arcade Conversion was a thing. And now in this day with the PS4 and VR I still get the feeling of awe when booting up a new game even though we no longer have to read through every inch of the manual to get ourselves prepared.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, beastuk1 said:

Love that saying and it is so true, I had passion in my work for so very long but in the recent years that passion has subsided and its just a Job. But I am more passionate as I ever was with gaming and I think it helps that i Was born at just the right time when Video games were only in the Arcade (Yes I am THAT old) and then I was witness to all the console and computer launches where the Arcade Conversion was a thing. And now in this day with the PS4 and VR I still get the feeling of awe when booting up a new game even though we no longer have to read through every inch of the manual to get ourselves prepared.

You are truely a blisssed man then.

Not many ppl actully have real passion for things.

Most ppl just kinda do things cus they fall into it and never really think about it.

Just autopiloting tru life...man thats ruff.

Also as a old dude myself(27) I can relate. lol

I only get a game I think I'll like and if I get a game strictly for trophies, it is usually a short VR game. I recently quit "Wipeout: Omega Collection" due to multiplayer being dead and overall difficult.

Other than that, I'll research a game before I start it of course. I tend to only play games with Platinums and will play it blind the first time

Edited by MikeCheck--

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy trophy hunting, but the idea of quitting has occured in my mind a few times. All I can say is that I will do that, but not any time soon.

As for whenever it feels like a job, it's sometimes like that, but it depends on the game. The ones that take a long time to achieve are close. That's why I always take a break every time I get a platinum. It's usually 1-3 days, but sometimes longer. I want to give time to my other hobbies as well.

Edited by MrGarland

I've moved to PC and Nintendo's consoles to get away from trophies altogether. Haven't felt like playing anything on PlayStation in over half a year now. Made an exception in June and platted Ruiner which I've played on PC and Switch earlier. After that I haven't played anything on PS. 

I have no interest in buying new games for PS, I have no interest in PS5 at the moment, I don't even have interest in playing games I already own on PS4 or Vita (backlog includes highly regarded Nier Automata, for example). I just have so much more fun playing on other platforms where there's no pressure to play the games in a certain way, don't have to worry about unobtainable trophies or ruin my day and impression of the game with ridiculous trophy requirements.

I love games, but when they feel like a job (and you're not working in gaming industry) something's wrong.

• Like 1

I used to been on a old psn account I played on that account for a couple of years then I stopped using it because I didn't like my completion rate so I started all over again on another account the one that I am using right now so I basically did stop trophy hunting but I came back to it to give it another chance and try to learn from my mistakes next time.

20 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I've moved to PC and Nintendo's consoles to get away from trophies altogether. Haven't felt like playing anything on PlayStation in over half a year now. Made an exception in June and platted Ruiner which I've played on PC and Switch earlier. After that I haven't played anything on PS. 

I have no interest in buying new games for PS, I have no interest in PS5 at the moment, I don't even have interest in playing games I already own on PS4 or Vita (backlog includes highly regarded Nier Automata, for example). I just have so much more fun playing on other platforms where there's no pressure to play the games in a certain way, don't have to worry about unobtainable trophies or ruin my day and impression of the game with ridiculous trophy requirements.

I love games, but when they feel like a job (and you're not working in gaming industry) something's wrong.

I understand how that feels same here it's good to play the games you enjoy but if it is not making you happy that is a problem it's always good to get a real job first before playing video games and hunting trophies.

Edited by Megatritionsts

Can´t say much about trophies, since I am a rookie, but as a 100% achievement hoarder on Steam for several years  I think that, as many times in life, the Aristotelian happy medium is the place to be. 

Play the games you want to play -- Try to obtain the 100%/platinum

Achievement or trophy hunter is supposed to add challenge to the great hobbie gaming is and we all share. If it starts to be "harmful" to the point it is not a hobbie anymore, well... time to return to that middle point. I also went through that and I know how stressful it feels.

I hope @Lezonidas and anyone else experiencing this can solve it and return seeing games the way they are......... games. :) 

Edited by Quixotesque

On 9/7/2020 at 4:55 AM, WeeFreya said:

I don't go for a platinum if it looks too hard or has trophies that just want to make you get bored of the game, but i'm still going to play it. Like Gravity Rush is one of my favourite PS4 games but didn't platinum it. If you're letting trophies be a deciding factor on buying a game or not then yeah take a break but theres nothing wrong with looking at trophies first so you know what to expect, thats normal and its weirder to not do it.

Yes!! This happened to me towards the end of 2018. I became obsessed with having a long trophy streak so i was playing anything just to get trophies everyday. I finally got burned out from it when it started feeling like a chore/job just to play a game. I wasn't having fun anymore. I didn't play much in 2019. Just started gaming again this yr n im loving it again. This time im not pushing myself. As long as i feel like playing i will n when i don't i wont. U just need a break. It happens to a lot of trophy hunters from time to time. U will know when ur ready to game again.