Has someone of you quit trophy hunting after noticing you enjoy less the games? (it feels like a job sometimes)

Lezonidas

5 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

I always play games for fun. I never buy games for trophies. But I am a completionist, and many fun games unfortunately have shitty trophy lists. So I force myself through it even though I really don’t want to do it. And when that happens I take a big break. As an example: I really loved Wolfenstein II, I know I can do Mein Leben, but I just don’t want to put in the time to get it.

This is my problem too. For example Red Dead Redemption 2, I've played 98 hours offline and I almost got all the trophies, but there were about 18 hours of grind that I didn't enjoy and on top of that there are online trophies that are another huge grind. Resident Evil 2, I've played it 4 times and it was fun, but to get the platinum I need 2 more playthroughs and I don't feel like doing it. Almost half the games have trophies that make you not like the journey, I feel the only developers that get it right are Sony Playstation Studios, those platinums are mostly great (Spiderman, Days Gone, God of War, etc)

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Lezonidas said:

At the beginning it was mostly fun to go for the platinum, but lately it feels like a job. I'm at a point that I check a trophy list before I buy a game and I think that's not good for the hobby of gaming. I don't know if I need a few months/years off, just play for fun without thinking about routes, or missables, or checking guides for collectibles and stuff like that. Has someone of you experienced something like this?

I totally understand what you are saying and experience it also. I've found that what works for me is alternating the genres I play. Also I play some games, like the Artifex Mundi games, just for fun. 

• Like 3

I don't really see that much of a difference between the olden days of completing games 100% vs getting platinums. Most proper trophy lists require you to do pretty much everything in the game anyway and grinding existed before trophies did.

I remember playing FFs VII,VIII,IX,X & XII (amongst others) in the late 90's to early noughties and spending untold hours completing everything the game had to offer including ridiculous amounts of grinding to beat the Dark Aeons in X. FF XII especially had the Sky Pirates' Den which was basically a trophy cabinet for completing everything in the game. I see trophies as a natural extension of that and confirmation that you've completed all the different things in the main game. So if you've always been a completionist type of player then trophies is just an evolution of that. When these games were re-released with trophy support I took great pleasure in completing them all again and having the plats to show it.

If you decide to not play a game you would otherwise play because you can't achieve/don't want to achieve the trophies then, yes, perhaps you should stop that as you really are letting the trophy system influence the type of games you play and ultimately the enjoyment you get from games.

For me, it turns out most of the games I want to play have trophy lists that are achievable which is definitely the result of 25 years of developing my computer game taste and not 12 years of trophy hunting. I prefer single player games, generally open-world or with RPG elements, top down shooters, platform games etc and generally loathe games that have multiplayer aspects or have an annual release cycle (looking at you EA) so this works out quite well for me. But I wouldn't hesitate to play a game I was looking forward to if the trophy list was a slog or I didn't think I could achieve it because ultimately I enjoy games more than trophies.  

I'm also not above the odd quick plat which can be enjoyable in it's own way and if not the games are short and don't outstay their welcome so completing them doesn't become a chore.

I questioned this a lot recently whilst playing Hotline Miami 2, Nex Machina and Hong Kong Massacre as to whether I was enjoying the game when i was repearedly dying and it seemed like little progress was being made, and it'd probably have been more fun to play something else but in the end that's what made achieving those platinums all the sweeter, knowing I'd toiled for it. The effort didn't make those games any worse either and I'll always look back fondly on them, particularly the first two.

If I were you, I'd just play the games you want and if you enjoy playing a game a lot then go for the trophies if you've had enough of a game before you get there, then move on. 

For me, I do it because I like completing the games with the bonus of earning the trophies, but I'd stop in an instant if trophy hunting in itself became a chore. 

Artty44.png

Edited by Artty44
  • Like 4

I only do it due to a degree of OCD, so i have gotten to where i play a lot of games on an offline dummy account. I never did consider myself a trophy hunter so I only play the games on my main account that I really enjoy. That is why i dislike trophies but some of the better guides for games come from trophy guides.

34 minutes ago, Cal said:

I have to keep reminding myself that I am not going to platinum every single game I play and that's fine even when my OCD is screaming at me.

i know that feeling, hence the offline dummy account

Edited by Void
  • Like 1

I guess I don't really think of it as trophy hunting all the time. Most platinums require at least two playthroughs anyway, so my first playthrough is almost always blind, and then I'll check to see what else I need to do. That's more or less how I've always played games, even before trophies were a thing.

• Like 1

More than quitting, it's a bit of diversifying activities. I tend to split time between gaming, D&D, getting back into drawing, and the general responsibilities. Too much of something is harmful in the long run. I get what you mean by saying "it feels like a job". Just don't feel pressured, and enjoy the hobby. You're only competing against yourself.

• Like 1

I quit a while ago and I'm having a lot more fun playing games now. I would always look up a trophy guide right after buying a game and then put off playing the game just because it looked too tedious to get the platinum. I think this is the biggest reason why I ended up with such a big backlog. I still go for platinums here and there, but only after I've played through the game first purely for my own enjoyment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Artty44 said:

I don't really see that much of a difference between the olden days of completing games 100% vs getting platinums. Most proper trophy lists require you to do pretty much everything in the game anyway and grinding existed before trophies did.

I remember playing FFs VII,VIII,IX,X & XII (amongst others) in the late 90's to early noughties and spending untold hours completing everything the game had to offer including ridiculous amounts of grinding to beat the Dark Aeons in X. FF XII especially had the Sky Pirates' Den which was basically a trophy cabinet for completing everything in the game. I see trophies as a natural extension of that and confirmation that you've completed all the different things in the main game. So if you've always been a completionist type of player then trophies is just an evolution of that. When these games were re-released with trophy support I took great pleasure in completing them all again and having the plats to show it.

If you decide to not play a game you would otherwise play because you can't achieve/don't want to achieve the trophies then, yes, perhaps you should stop that as you really are letting the trophy system influence the type of games you play and ultimately the enjoyment you get from games.

For me, it turns out most of the games I want to play have trophy lists that are achievable which is definitely the result of 25 years of developing my computer game taste and not 12 years of trophy hunting. I prefer single player games, generally open-world or with RPG elements, top down shooters, platform games etc and generally loathe games that have multiplayer aspects or have an annual release cycle (looking at you EA) so this works out quite well for me. But I wouldn't hesitate to play a game I was looking forward to if the trophy list was a slog or I didn't think I could achieve it because ultimately I enjoy games more than trophies.  

I'm also not above the odd quick plat which can be enjoyable in it's own way and if not the games are short and don't outstay their welcome so completing them doesn't become a chore.

I questioned this a lot recently whilst playing Hotline Miami 2, Nex Machina and Hong Kong Massacre as to whether I was enjoying the game when i was repearedly dying and it seemed like little progress was being made, and it'd probably have been more fun to play something else but in the end that's what made achieving those platinums all the sweeter, knowing I'd toiled for it. The effort didn't make those games any worse either and I'll always look back fondly on them, particularly the first two.

If I were you, I'd just play the games you want and if you enjoy playing a game a lot then go for the trophies if you've had enough of a game before you get there, then move on. 

For me, I do it because I like completing the games with the bonus of earning the trophies, but I'd stop in an instant if trophy hunting in itself became a chore. 

Artty44.png

There is no real difference. Final Fantasy X is the perfect example, because during the PS2 era many of us were trying to dodge lightning bolts, race chocobos, and defeat Nemesis. The "issue" is that many of these people were never the type to complete everything in a game, yet still want trophies. And so the conflict is born, and some of them will insist that trophies have ruined games, even though the process is the same as it was before.

• Like 2

Some years back I started hunting casually, I enjoyed getting platinums, but if the game was boring I stoped and ignored it. All was fine until I took the next step and started buying games that had easy trophy lists, and always checked the list before playing (unless it was something I really wanted). I did not enjoy that way of gaming so I forced my self to stop.

So I started leaning more towards the completionist way. I only bought games I really wanted, but did them to 100%, but after a while that meant I started to go back and complete games I did not enjoy. The problem now is like someone said, my list of unstarted games that I buy is adding up faster than I complete games, and my backlog is far from done. So it has become more of a shore than a hobby, the joy is there, but rarly the whole 100% of the game.

I have newly decided that I need to focus on playing for fun again. I have to accept that my trophy list won’t look good (for my own OCD), but that’s not important (have to tell my self that). There are so many good games I’m missing because I spend way to much time to 100% some games. I will still platinum games and still do 100%, but not every game.

I hope writting it here, might help me to actually stop OCDing about my trophy list!

• Like 2

I have started doing things like this too, but maybe for different reasons. Like I'm a middle aged adult and I don't have all the time in the world to play games anymore.

I tend to avoid games that have online, or I check a game and see if the platinum will take more than 10 hours.I haven't got the time to be spending 100s of hours on games anymore like I used to do. Unless it's REALLY a game I want to play (such as Dynasty Warriors)

• Like 2